PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' defense disappoints

polamalubeast
08-24-2010, 06:55 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - At first glance, some of the statistics from Saturday night's Steelers-Giants preseason game don't appear to be cause for concern.

The Steelers were facing third-string quarterback Rhett Bomar, starting only because Eli Manning and backup Jim Sorgi were sidelined with injuries. Moreover, Giants starting running back Brandon Jacobs didn't play, and starting wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was ejected along with Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor after only four plays.

Still, the inexperienced Bomar completed 5 of 10 passes for 82 yards against the Steelers' first-team defenders, including a 45-yard strike to Steve Smith in the second quarter. The Giants also averaged 4.0 yards on nine rushes against the Steelers' first unit, including Ahmad Bradshaw's 9-yard touchdown bolt around left end, which came six plays after Smith's catch.

Try telling Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison the Giants' offensive production against the first team doesn't mean anything.

"We didn't play fundamentally sound the way we're used to playing,'' an unhappy Harrison said following the Steelers' 24-17 win.

read more

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_696081.html

Steeldude
08-25-2010, 12:58 AM
glad i am not the only one who thought the first-string defense sucked.

NCSteeler
08-25-2010, 02:39 AM
Bomar whoever doesn't stand a chance trying to read a Lebeau defense These guys play basic bull crap defense in preseason I'd ike to see soem of these 2nd and 3rd string guys during the regular season

GoSlash27
08-25-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't read anything into first team play in the preseason. Their main objective is to stay healthy, not win the game. Still... if they're not playing sound fundamentals, I'm glad they know it now.

Devilsdancefloor
08-25-2010, 06:47 AM
they seem to forgot how to tackle it would seem.

HometownGal
08-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I don't read anything into first team play in the preseason. Their main objective is to stay healthy, not win the game. Still... if they're not playing sound fundamentals, I'm glad they know it now.

I really don't either the first 2 games but I really would like to see better tackling and coverage by the first team D in these next 2 exhibition matchups. I have every confidence that Papa Lebeau will have them ready to rumble by our first reg season game against the Falcs.

MULLDOG24
08-25-2010, 07:29 AM
My thoughts exactly HTG!

BlastFurnace
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I complained up a storm before the 2008 season....specifically after the 1st pre-season game against Buffalo that Harrison references in the article....I learned my lesson.

I won't complain about the defense until I see what the regular season brings. I think the defense is going to be very good this season.

Edman
08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I seem to remember the Steelers Defense sucking in the 2008 preseason and especially against Buffalo.

They turned in the greatest season performance we've seen from a Steelers D since the 90's days of Blitzburgh or even the 70's.

SteelGhost
08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I really don't either the first 2 games but I really would like to see better tackling and coverage by the first team D in these next 2 exhibition matchups. I have every confidence that Papa Lebeau will have them ready to rumble by our first reg season game against the Falcs.

:amen: HTG

steelpride12
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Its hard to worry or complain after only 2 preseason games. Althrough it is a concern to let a thrid string QB torch you, I can't say this is how it's going to be during the regular season, this next game is huge where the starters get the most time, so Im hoping to see much improved play because we all know Mr. L will rev this D up.

Randy06
08-25-2010, 11:00 AM
As long as they tune it up before week one all will be well....god knows we will need them.