PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Suspend 'Beli-cheat,' now or later

Lady Steel
01-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Steelers president Art Rooney II apparently doesn't believe “Deflate-gate” is a big deal, telling reporters Wednesday, “I wouldn't put it on the scale of serious.”

I would.

If reports are true that the New England Patriots used significantly deflated footballs in the AFC title game — if indeed the Patriots had 11 of their 12 footballs doctored — it's a huge deal. Definitely worthy of stiff punishment, up to and including a suspension of coach Bill Belichick.

It's interesting that Rooney would characterize the Patriots' alleged actions the way he did, because the Steelers certainly put it on the scale of serious when they accused the Oakland Raiders of similar “dirty tricks” some 40 years ago. Serious enough that Dan Rooney reported his suspicions to the NFL.

If it can be determined Belichick had footballs deflated, or even knew of it, the NFL should crack down like Hines Ward on an unsuspecting linebacker. Drill Bill, I say. The small window from now to the Super Bowl likely wouldn't allow for a fair hearing, so suspending him for the Super Bowl doesn't seem feasible. Which is too bad, because it would be a just punishment.

Come next year, a Belichick suspension absolutely should be in play.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/7548708-74/patriots-belichick-footballs?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#axzz3PW0TjyHg

I don't understand Art II's cavalier attitude about this issue.

Texasteel
01-21-2015, 11:57 PM
I haven't been that impressed with Art Rooney II, he is certainly no anywhere near his name sake. The blatant disregard for the rules of the game, a repeated disregard, is always serious. To try to make excuses for these actions are irresponsible at best. It is popular to talk about protecting the integrate of the game, so why are some trying to protect the people that are trampling on that integrate. I don't think the Chief would be happy with this stance.

X-Terminator
01-22-2015, 12:08 AM
I don't know, Art, it's only the integrity of the game that's at stake. You're right, that's no big deal. :coffee:

I'm with you, Ed. I am not impressed with Art II at all.

Butch
01-22-2015, 03:00 AM
You 2 beat me to it. What is up with Art II? 1st he gets involved with a forgone conclusion that the NFL did not mishandle the video of the ray rice case and now this!!! Come on Art you need to stop alienating your fanbase and get with the program. Better to stay silent than to open mouth and insert foot.

Count Steeler
01-22-2015, 05:14 AM
Politics is going on. Commish got caught with his pants down again and the cover up is on.

A few retired QBS hitting the airwaves and probably a select few owners have been "requested" to speak on how "trivial" this matter is.

Folks this is your new NFL. Too much money involved to let the game be decided on the field. Don't worry the Steelers will win a SB in the next 3 years. Art II has some chips he can cash in now.

slashsteel
01-22-2015, 05:46 AM
yeah they want to cover up for their rep unfortunately instead of doing what is right

the son definitely is a shadow of the father in my opinion

Buckinnuts
01-22-2015, 06:11 AM
suspend both Brady and belichek for thecsuperbowl plus fine them and draft pick removal.....cheating is cheating..second time caught...

slashsteel
01-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Kraft is Goodell's buddy.

We are looking at probably nothing more than a team fine..................

Shoes
01-22-2015, 08:04 AM
I haven't been that impressed with Art Rooney II, he is certainly no anywhere near his name sake. The blatant disregard for the rules of the game, a repeated disregard, is always serious. To try to make excuses for these actions are irresponsible at best. It is popular to talk about protecting the integrate of the game, so why are some trying to protect the people that are trampling on that integrate. I don't think the Chief would be happy with this stance.

I can't think Dan is either. This ship is in uncharted waters with this guy at the helm.

fansince'76
01-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Kraft is Goodell's buddy.

We are looking at probably nothing more than a team fine..................

Doubt it even comes to that, since the Colts pointed out the same thing in November and not a damn thing was done about it.

Texasteel
01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Doubt it even comes to that, since the Colts pointed out the same thing in November and not a damn thing was done about it.

I think you are right. To fine the team would show guilt. This will end in a heavy punishment,,,, yea, that's going to happen, or a complete exoneration of the NE team. I expect a bullshit report, and the entire mess swept under the carpet. That carpet must have a nice sized bulge in it from everything that has been put under there.

Mach1
01-22-2015, 01:51 PM
I think you are right. To fine the team would show guilt. This will end in a heavy punishment,,,, yea, that's going to happen, or a complete exoneration of the NE team. I expect a bullshit report, and the entire mess swept under the carpet. That carpet must have a nice sized bulge in it from everything that has been put under there.

No pile under the carpet, it's all ashes in the burn barrel out back of the building.

86WARD
01-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Was Art Rooney II adopted? He doesn't appear to be of the "royal Rooney" genes...

Hawkman
01-22-2015, 10:07 PM

Seriously???!!!! If they had the internet when Art Rooney I and the rest of the owners were in business.....there would be NO NFL!! There was NO integrity back then....it was do what you have to do to win.

His "NAME SAKE". try something else....and lighten up on Art the second.

Mojouw
01-23-2015, 10:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_in_a_teapot

Pats whupped 'em. Soft Brady balls or not. Bottom line - Colts couldn't stop the run or move the ball. Neither of those things has anything to do with the inflatedness of the ball.

Also, I hate the damn Patriots. Now instead of focusing on all of the interesting match-ups and strategies of the two SB teams, we will get treated to 100's of sideline shots of the ball boys and random equipment managers.

"Let's go down to the sideline where Pam Oliver has an update"
"That's right Troy - I see that the Patriots equipment personnel have placed some footballs in a bag and are carrying them from the locker room. Their entire journey is being monitored by web-cam and Predator drones back in the NFL offices."
"Thanks, Pam. While we were talking about that, Gronk just throw a 97 yard bomb to Tom Brady. Who out-leaped and stiff armed Richard Sherman into another zip-code. Now a word from our sponsors."

Texasteel
01-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Seriously???!!!! If they had the internet when Art Rooney I and the rest of the owners were in business.....there would be NO NFL!! There was NO integrity back then....it was do what you have to do to win.

His "NAME SAKE". try something else....and lighten up on Art the second.

Yes,, Seriously. Art2 has not impressed me what so ever. Maybe you like the guy, and that's fine, but if you want to bad mouth Art I to try to build Art2 up we have nothing else to say.

steel striker
01-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Yeah we all know something should happen to Brady/Billacheat/Kraft but, nothing will become of these. Hell I would have a better chance getting a date with Kate Upton!!!!

smokin3000gt
01-23-2015, 12:00 PM
For one thing I think AR2 would be a fool to give the media any kind of fuel for their fire. I believe any owner would take issue with cheating, especially during a championship game. If he were smart he would keep his thoughts to himself in front of the cameras and talk to the appropriate people through the proper channels behind the scenes.

Also one thing I keep seeing is "It doesn't matter because the Colts got whooped so bad, the balls couldn't make that kind of difference." Yes that's somewhat true but it just happened to work out that way. Nobody knew how the game was going to turn out. It could have come down to one amazing catch for the first down or TD to win the game. It didn't but that's juts how the chips fell. Regardless they altered the balls for a clear advantage. The final score is irrelevant.

MrPgh
01-23-2015, 04:28 PM
You guys won't like hearing this, but it's pretty obvious that Art II is a Goodell crony.

fansince'76
01-23-2015, 05:12 PM
You guys won't like hearing this, but it's pretty obvious that Art II is a Goodell crony.

Agreed, but I really can't understand why considering how many times Goodell has dicked the franchise over.

Craic
01-23-2015, 06:12 PM
My favorite quote:

I asked Ike if deflated footballs would be easier to catch.

“I played 12 years and only had 14 picks — I don't know too much about catching the ball, you know what I mean?” he said, laughing.

As far as Art Rooney II is concerned, what do you expect him to say? They're all in the same boat, making money for each other. If Art II has any words for Kraft, it will be done behind the scenes at the owners' meeting. Keeping disagreements out of the public's eye is the Steelers' way. (Unless it's the Raiders, but they're just a criminal element, anyway).