PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' unrestricted free agent Moats proves worth at linebacker

Lady Steel
01-18-2015, 11:48 PM
The Steelers have issues at outside linebacker, mostly because they don't have many under contract.

Actually, they only have one — Jarvis Jones.

Jason Worilds is an unrestricted free agent and might be too expensive for the Steelers to keep.

James Harrison, albeit dominant at times in his return from a brief retirement, doesn't have a contract. He will be 37 at the start of the season and hasn't made a decision if he wants to come back if asked.

Rookies Jordan Zumwalt and Howard Jones are projects and didn't spend a day on the active roster. Zumwalt, a sixth-round pick, spent the season on injured reserve, and Jones was on the practice squad.

That leaves the Steelers with Arthur Moats, and that might not be a bad thing.

Moats is an unrestricted free agent as well but could be an offseason priority for the Steelers, especially considering their dire situation at the position.

“I hope to be back, but it is a business,” Moats said. “I feel I have to do what's best for me and my family. We will see what happens, but I definitely want to be back.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7579035-74/moats-steelers-agent#axzz3P9bNq0kq

Shoes
01-18-2015, 11:52 PM
I feel pretty confident Moats will be here next season.

Steeldude
01-19-2015, 06:54 AM
If Moats is retained I hope they let them battle it out for starting positions. I don't want to see Jones given the starting nod based on draft status.

steelerdude15
01-19-2015, 09:25 AM
I hope the Steelers resign him. He played well and its depth. You can never have enough depth.

Mojouw
01-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Anyone else think the signing or not signing of Moats, might be the first tip of the hand for Butler and the Steelers plans to rebuild/reorganize the defense?

Psycho Ward 86
01-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Anyone else think the signing or not signing of Moats, might be the first tip of the hand for Butler and the Steelers plans to rebuild/reorganize the defense?

Yes. Although unfortunately how hard we try to resign Moats may be a better indicator. Always a ton of suitors for pass rushers, and it seems like in recent years, 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE have been the positions people have been more willing to gamble on in FA. I hope it doesn't prove difficult, considering we've actually been using him at his natural OLB position in starter's capacity (and set him up to do so for year's to come). I'm just concerned that he could have our balls in a vice because we only have JJ under contract and the jury is still out on him

Mojouw
01-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Yes. Although unfortunately how hard we try to resign Moats may be a better indicator. Always a ton of suitors for pass rushers, and it seems like in recent years, 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE have been the positions people have been more willing to gamble on in FA. I hope it doesn't prove difficult, considering we've actually been using him at his natural OLB position in starter's capacity (and set him up to do so for year's to come). I'm just concerned that he could have our balls in a vice because we only have JJ under contract and the jury is still out on him

Couldn't agree more. Although he may not be too pricey, as he wasn't making much money to start with...

Steeldude
01-19-2015, 02:07 PM
I hope the Steelers resign him. He played well and its depth. You can never have enough depth.

He is probably a better option than Jones. I am not giving up on Jones, but my feeling is he will end up a journeyman or worse.

LLT
01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
The thing that we have going in our favor is that Moats would definitely love to sign a multi year contract with a team willing to give him a fair shot at starting. If we are competitive...Moats will stay.

Dwinsgames
01-20-2015, 08:22 PM
http://555781119220920320