PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Closer look at matters of money

Lady Steel
01-18-2015, 12:56 AM
At first blush, it would appear the Steelers again will be in salary cap trouble for 2015, as they were heading into 2014.

At second blush, things look much better for them as they approach the new calendar year that begins March 10, which is also the first day of free agency. So good, in fact, that they should be able to sign some free agents from other teams as well as their own and redo contracts such as Ben Roethlisberger’s, which actually should save them money under their cap in 2015 when they do so.

We will use the accounting from Overthecap.com for our purposes. Even though the website does not have the official NFL salary cap numbers, it comes as close as any to keeping track of reported contracts and putting them into salary cap form.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/18/On-the-Steelers-Closer-look-at-matters-of-money/stories/201501180158

86WARD
01-18-2015, 03:38 AM
Plenty of money to sign a free agent CB and OLB...

steelreserve
01-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Roethlisberger counts $18.4 million against their cap, including a salary of $11.6 million. The salary is where they can produce some savings for this year. If they sign him to, say, a six-year, $120 million contract, they could put $30 million of that into a signing bonus and that would count $5 million annually on the cap over the next six years. Give him a $3 million salary this season, and his cap would be reduced in 2015 by $3.6 million.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO.

Did we not learn our lesson? Yes, it's smart to have contracts somewhat stepped-up over time to take advantage of the theoretically rising cap. No, it's not a smart idea to be paying $3M the first year on a contract that averages $20M. That's how you end up getting yourself in stupid-restructure territory and starting every offseason $20M over the cap. Can we not do that again?

Count Steeler
01-18-2015, 05:46 PM
13 players on a rookie salary. I stopped reading after that.

"Da Plane, Da Plane" Welcome to Fantasy Island.

Psycho Ward 86
01-18-2015, 06:08 PM
lol i agree with both posts above, those 2 points were ridiculous. i do however see ~$15 million in space being plausible. i didnt realize we would save that much by cutting cortez. more than enough to sign a really good corner. although i think i would still try to keep him if the team thinks he can return to his 2012 form.

fansince'76
01-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Ed Bullchitte needs to stick to Steelers gossip and rumor-mongering...