PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' wagon still hitched to Ben Roethlisberger

Lady Steel
01-18-2015, 12:54 AM
One more season in the books, one more playoff loss and one more year gone in Ben Roethlisberger's career.

The clock keeps ticking on one of the NFL's best quarterbacks, and the Steelers made it no closer to another Super Bowl than they did when Tim Tebow ended their 2011 run at one-and-done.

It's not like he didn't do his part.

Roethlisberger's 11th season with the Steelers ranked as his best, both statistically and for his part in turning two 8-8 seasons into 11-5 and an AFC North title. But the opening-round playoff loss at home to Baltimore sends the Steelers into the 2015 season looking for their first Super Bowl win in seven years. And at 33 by the time next season begins, Roethlisberger needs three more Lombardi trophies to reach his goal of having more rings than any quarterback in club history.

At age 32, Roethlisberger showed he was at the top of his game, as he and Steelers president Art Rooney predicted he would before the season. He missed only three snaps to injury the past two seasons and ended this one holding virtually every season and career team passing record, as well as a few NFL firsts.

"I think Ben is in the prime of his career, hopefully," Rooney said last training camp. "Nowadays, you hear people talk about the top five [quarterbacks] and they don't always put Ben in that group. I think over the next few years, Ben is going to put himself into that group."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/18/Steelers-wagon-still-hitched-to-Ben-Roethlisberger/stories/201501180183

ALLD
01-18-2015, 07:59 AM
He is taking too many hits and the last pass he threw is indicative. Take enough big hits and after a certain point a routine hit turns into a concussion. His body is going to start to break down rapidly much like Aaron Smith, Keisel, Taylor & Polamalu. He will need to continue to change the way he holds onto the ball or never play another complete season.

86WARD
01-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Since 2010 that number has decreased, sack-wise.

zulater
01-18-2015, 10:01 AM
He is taking too many hits and the last pass he threw is indicative. Take enough big hits and after a certain point a routine hit turns into a concussion. His body is going to start to break down rapidly much like Aaron Smith, Keisel, Taylor & Polamalu. He will need to continue to change the way he holds onto the ball or never play another complete season.

How can you say this? He's coming off two straight seasons of not missing a game. He's virtually taken every snap the past two years in fact. And LeVeon's absence was a huge factor in the amount and type of hits he took against a very strong Raven front 7 in the playoff game you allude to.

Ben's game is more than fine right now as it is. In fact even at his age the needle is still pointing up for this offense. The continued development of Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton will make this offense even more lethal next season. You could see at the end of the season that Ben was finally finding a comfort level with those two that wasn't in evidence early in the season. Also Pouncey a little further removed from knee reconstruction will make the offensive line better. Gilbrert's season was impaired by injury throughout etc...

You ever find anything to be positive about with this team? Sheesh! :doh:

stillers4me
01-18-2015, 10:08 AM
I think the best is yet to come for Ben.

Get that defense up to snuff and let Ben do his thang!

ALLD
01-18-2015, 11:26 AM
How can you say this? He's coming off two straight seasons of not missing a game. He's virtually taken every snap the past two years in fact. And LeVeon's absence was a huge factor in the amount and type of hits he took against a very strong Raven front 7 in the playoff game you allude to.

Ben's game is more than fine right now as it is. In fact even at his age the needle is still pointing up for this offense. The continued development of Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton will make this offense even more lethal next season. You could see at the end of the season that Ben was finally finding a comfort level with those two that wasn't in evidence early in the season. Also Pouncey a little further removed from knee reconstruction will make the offensive line better. Gilbrert's season was impaired by injury throughout etc...

You ever find anything to be positive about with this team? Sheesh! :doh:

I can say it because the very last pass he threw was a pick that sealed the loss. And it wasn't even close. I am not saying he is shot or turned to glass, but there will come a time- and Father Time always wins.

Bell was absent which probably was the missing piece to victory, but I am just implying he needs to watch it and make the adjustments. Don't forget about the "Popeye hit" hit earlier in the season plus all the abuse he has taken over the years. I have seen boxers age in the ring during a fight and football players too.

zulater
01-18-2015, 11:53 AM
I can say it because the very last pass he threw was a pick that sealed the loss. And it wasn't even close. I am not saying he is shot or turned to glass, but there will come a time- and Father Time always wins.

Bell was absent which probably was the missing piece to victory, but I am just implying he needs to watch it and make the adjustments. Don't forget about the "Popeye hit" hit earlier in the season plus all the abuse he has taken over the years. I have seen boxers age in the ring during a fight and football players too.

Brett Favre got hit and sacked at close to the same frequency that Ben has been. He stayed good well into his upper 30's. Obviously you never know for sure, but it's reasonable to think Ben has anywhere from 3-6 years of peak or close to peak play left.

To borrow from our coach, you can't live in your fears. Ben's play has changed as much as it's going to or needs to already imo.