PDA

View Full Version : Potential Free Agent Fits for the 2015 Steelers

LLT
01-16-2015, 01:30 PM
I talked about this briefly in the draft section but thought it might deserve a thread of its own.

We obviously have some holes to fill this coming year in the draft and in free agency, but I am especially intrigued by what veteran players we may target if Troy does indeed retire and if/when Ben gets a new contract.

Both situations would free up money, and its obvious that if we are going to improve next year in has to be done, at least in some part, through free agency.

Some players that I have been kicking around in my mind:

OLB's Sam Acho , Brandon Graham, or Jabaal Sheard.

CB's Chris Culliver or Kareem Jackson

TE Cameron Jordan

NT B.J. Raji

DE Alex Carrington

OT Bryan Bulaga

Any of these pique anyone's else's interest? Any other players you would like to target?

Dwinsgames
01-16-2015, 01:52 PM
not sure I turn any of those away ...

However I doubt we make much of a splash as we rarely do and after last years debacle in FA ..smh we did not get much per $ spent

LLT
01-16-2015, 02:53 PM
not sure I turn any of those away ...

However I doubt we make much of a splash as we rarely do and after last years debacle in FA ..smh we did not get much per $ spent

I am PRAYING that this year is a splash year. I have a suspicion that we will grab at least one big name Free Agent.

vader29
01-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Would love to get Raji if he is recovered from his injury.

steelreserve
01-16-2015, 03:43 PM
NT Pat Sims

Having seen the guy in Oakland, he immediately caught my attention with his Hampton-style barging - probably not as good as Big Snack in his prime, but a dependable veteran and probably comes at a much cheaper price than Raji (who I would much prefer, but I have my doubts we can afford).

Culliver is an interesting one .. by no means a top-tier CB, but may be the kind of player who could help us. Kind of a William Gay talent level IMO, which would be a step up from last year opposite the real William Gay. But not great. The catch there is I think he will probably command the Promising-Young-Corner salary slot, or about $5-6M, and we just paid Cortez Allen that. Cap-wise, cutting Allen doesn't pencil out until next offseason. So we're more likely to draft a CB and let him develop, and count on Allen getting his shit together as the plan for next season. Not real confidence-inspiring, but financially I think it prohibits us from signing a CB unless we're really ready to write off Allen and take a couple million dollar hit on top of it.

Psycho Ward 86
01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
no Byron Maxwell?

st33lersguy
01-16-2015, 06:29 PM
I talked about this briefly in the draft section but thought it might deserve a thread of its own.

We obviously have some holes to fill this coming year in the draft and in free agency, but I am especially intrigued by what veteran players we may target if Troy does indeed retire and if/when Ben gets a new contract.

Both situations would free up money, and its obvious that if we are going to improve next year in has to be done, at least in some part, through free agency.

Some players that I have been kicking around in my mind:

OLB's Sam Acho , Brandon Graham, or Jabaal Sheard.

CB's Chris Culliver or Kareem Jackson

TE Cameron Jordan

NT B.J. Raji

DE Alex Carrington

OT Bryan Bulaga

Any of these pique anyone's else's interest? Any other players you would like to target?

Brandon Graham is not any good, BJ Raji is hasn't been good for a few years, Byron Maxwell should receive a mention, however I am a little weary of being active in free agency. We were very active by our standards and our best pickup was Brice McCain. I also would like some backup RBs to be on this list. I say they should have a backup RB and one notable free agent pick up

Psycho Ward 86
01-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Brandon Graham is not any good, BJ Raji is hasn't been good for a few years, Byron Maxwell should receive a mention, however I am a little weary of being active in free agency. We were very active by our standards and our best pickup was Brice McCain. I also would like some backup RBs to be on this list. I say they should have a backup RB and one notable free agent pick up

Roy Helu, Bilal Powell, Frank Gore, Shane Vereen, Daniel Thomas. We have good options there.

Also, to Chris Culliver fans, I wonder if he has position flexibility in the NFL. He had 2 whole years of starting experience as a safety in college and wasnt a cornerback until his senior year.

Dwinsgames
01-16-2015, 07:15 PM
NT Pat Sims

Having seen the guy in Oakland, he immediately caught my attention with his Hampton-style barging - probably not as good as Big Snack in his prime, but a dependable veteran and probably comes at a much cheaper price than Raji (who I would much prefer, but I have my doubts we can afford).

Culliver is an interesting one .. by no means a top-tier CB, but may be the kind of player who could help us. Kind of a William Gay talent level IMO, which would be a step up from last year opposite the real William Gay. But not great. The catch there is I think he will probably command the Promising-Young-Corner salary slot, or about $5-6M, and we just paid Cortez Allen that. Cap-wise, cutting Allen doesn't pencil out until next offseason. So we're more likely to draft a CB and let him develop, and count on Allen getting his shit together as the plan for next season. Not real confidence-inspiring, but financially I think it prohibits us from signing a CB unless we're really ready to write off Allen and take a couple million dollar hit on top of it.

Didn't one of my prospect pimps from last years draft Jelly Bean Ellis take his job ?

steelreserve
01-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Didn't one of my prospect pimps from last years draft Jelly Bean Ellis take his job ?

Well, he didn't play as much last year, that's for sure. Don't know why, but that's probably the reason.

It's the Raiders, so who knows if it actually means anything good, bad or otherwise. If he plays like the guy from two years ago, he'd be a great pickup, and he'll probably come cheap. If not ... well, it'd be no worse than Cam Thomas. Way I see it, dump the durty dick and see if this guy is an improvement; we've really got nothing to lose.

Of course it would be far preferable to sign or draft an elite NT, but assuming we ignore it in the draft as always and Raji is too expensive, something like this may be the best we can do.

st33lersguy
01-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Roy Helu, Bilal Powell, Frank Gore, Shane Vereen, Daniel Thomas. We have good options there.

Also, to Chris Culliver fans, I wonder if he has position flexibility in the NFL. He had 2 whole years of starting experience as a safety in college and wasnt a cornerback until his senior year.

I knew there were good options which is why I would rather see them pick up a free agent rather than draft one

LLT
01-16-2015, 11:15 PM

Brandon Graham is Arthur Moats. He got 5.5 sacks last year as a rotational player. Would love to bring him in at the right price to compete.

Steelersfan
01-17-2015, 10:37 AM
First off, I make some off-season adjustments/plans to our roster. With the very first off-season practice, I start practicing Cortez Allen at about 60%/40% split between Corner & Safety. Got to have a plan "B" for the kid. He has the size and speed. If the light does not come on at corner, maybe he'll work out to fill one of our two safety needs. Look for a "spark" at safety in case his play last year at corner is what you get.

Second, I look at the overage at inside LB. Timmons, Vince Williams, Spence, Shazier, Zumwalt & Garvin. Which one of those has the size & ability to maybe transition to the outside? Williams, maybe Timmons, Shazier in packages? I don't know, BUT if I'm Butler, Olslavsky, Porter, I look to fill a hole in the OLB position and depth there too. Same 60%/40% concept. Look for a "spark" and a plan "B" out of one of them.

Then I look at the free agent pool. Absolutely cannot fill the two starting CB positions next year with the draft. Even if there is an Ike Taylor "in-his-prime" & a Darrell Revis that falls in our lap in the draft, they won't do the job season #1. Need to bring in a free agent corner.

- Byron Maxwell (Sea)
if not
- Chris Harris Jr. (Den)
- Brandon Flowers (San Diego)

Same with the pass rush. The draft won't fix it with a rookie in year one. Need someone to bring into the mix with Calgary's Shawn Lemon, Worlids?, & POSSIBLY one of our current ILBs. Let Worlids test the market. Offer him the same contract if fair and let him decide to stay or go, but we need to try to upgrade the pass rush. Lemon, Worlids, ILB? and SIGN one of the three below for the OLB competition & backup slots:

- Jerry Hughes (Buf)
- Pernell McPhee (Balt)
- Jabaal Sheard (Clev)

People are clamoring to resign Ben Tate. Sure throw him into the mix with a vet-minimum offer. BUT, what has he shown the last two years that gives you a guarantee he'll be the guy? Go after:

- Roy Helu Jr.
Not quite sure of the Market at RB yet, but you don't want to spend high dollars here. Could be guys, thrown into the mix too, like:
- Frank Gore
- C.J. Spiller

Signing a young CB, Pass Rusher with potential, and a Vet back-up RB and the roster is in pretty good shape for the draft. WAY LESS holes to fill compared to last year.

And with the Steelers sitting at 22 in draft order, they're in a prime spot to maybe get the top Tight End (Max Williams/Minn, Jesse James/Penn St,) or Top Safety off the board. Come draft day, one things for sure, the roster and roster needs will be completely different than they are now. Got to wait & see how things play out. FIX CB, Pass Rush & #2 RB positions though, cause the draft won't !!!

steelerdude15
01-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Jabaal Sheard would provide good depth and experience.

Mojouw
01-17-2015, 12:45 PM
After seeing him in GB last few seasons, Raji had a great rookie year, good 2nd year and then fell way off. Signing him might be Cam Thomas 2.0. IF the price is right, good gamble that a move back to NT from DE rejuvenates his career. But Raji wants to get paid and once big guys start to slip in level of play and health, it is never a good bet that they get back on track.

Sheard has never fulfilled the pass rushing promise of his first year. Now maybe the Browns stink at developing talent, but I would rather gamble on the light-bulb going of for Jones than take on another team's failed pass rush project. Although Sheard played well against the run by all accounts and looked like a star against the Steelers. So what do I know. If the price is right than heck yeah.

Dwinsgames
01-17-2015, 02:01 PM
After seeing him in GB last few seasons, Raji had a great rookie year, good 2nd year and then fell way off. Signing him might be Cam Thomas 2.0. IF the price is right, good gamble that a move back to NT from DE rejuvenates his career. But Raji wants to get paid and once big guys start to slip in level of play and health, it is never a good bet that they get back on track.

Sheard has never fulfilled the pass rushing promise of his first year. Now maybe the Browns stink at developing talent, but I would rather gamble on the light-bulb going of for Jones than take on another team's failed pass rush project. Although Sheard played well against the run by all accounts and looked like a star against the Steelers. So what do I know. If the price is right than heck yeah.

Sheard for me is without question the better gamble as must be realized he ( as well all all the browns players ) have been in system hell ... new guys , new language , new system every year for the last 2 decades

Mojouw
01-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Sheard for me is without question the better gamble as must be realized he ( as well all all the browns players ) have been in system hell ... new guys , new language , new system every year for the last 2 decades

That is an excellent point. I have no problem bringing Sheard in. It just has to be w/ a cap hit that can be sustained and allows the Steelers to walk away if he isn't performing by the end of pre-season. Same with Moats, Worilds, or "insert OLB flyer/lottery ticket free agent player here" type of signing.

I strongly believe they need to cycle a bunch of potential solutions through the system this off-season and see what sticks. You can't do that if you simply say Sheard is the solution, and throw money at him. That is my only fear about the Steelers using UFAs to fill some of the roster holes. They likely can't afford the guys who would be obvious and unquestioned solutions (Houston at OLB, Cameron at TE, Maxwell or Flowers at CB, etc) so I hope they bring in a couple of guys for each need and hope one stands out.

KeiselPower99
01-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Sheard and Maxwell would be a very good FA period for us. I have been a fan of Kroy Biermann of Atlanta for a few years. Another name Ill throw out there is George Wilson from Tennessee. Could replace Will Allen and push Shamarko for the SS job if Troy retires.