PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rookie WR Bryant accelerates learning curve in NFL

stillers4me
01-12-2015, 07:42 AM
The physical gifts that make Martavis Bryant so good are the same ones some tend to almost subconsciously lean on to dismiss him.
• He's so fast — he must not have good hands.
• He's so big — he probably lacks quickness.
• He's so talented — he must run lousy routes.
• He has so many tools — he must be lazy.

During his rookie season with the Steelers, Bryant did his best to erase the qualifiers observers use to describe him...................

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7532632-74/bryant-games-receiver#ixzz3Oc9VQ5Zg

ALLD
01-12-2015, 02:25 PM
He is everything that Limas Sweed was supposed to be in a player. Bryant needs to keep his head on straight like AB more than Mike Wallace or Mendenhall.

TMC
01-13-2015, 05:50 AM
Bryant's issues were never those that were listed. His issues were, he lacked maturity. That, in a nutshell, was the biggest issue he faced. It caused him to be lazy and not put in the work, on and off the field. It attributed to a high number of drops because he lost concentration, which, to me, is a product of not handling your reps in practice the right way. I believe if you catch enough passes, take things seriously in practice, and put in the work, it translates to gamedays and those types of mistakes don't happen.

The thing is, Bryant had a wake up call to end his sophomore season. Clemson sat him at home for his bowl game. He was with his mom and grandmother and he stated they cried during the bowl game because he was there with them and not playing. They talked of the future and his two kids. He appeared to grow up quick after that. He started to put in the work, not only on the field but in class and meetings. Clemson coaches said it was a complete turnaround. He began talking of being better for his kids. In essence, he had a reason to press. To me, that showed a ton of maturity. When you begin to place others ahead of yourself, that is growing up. It has paid off for him and paid off for the Steelers. He has brought that more mature work ethic to Pittsburgh and landed with Antonio Brown, who may be one of the better workers in all of football. Lucky they play the same position as he can help Bryant become better. And, with the emergence of Bryant, it should wake Wheaton up, because if it does not, he will be the slot guy coming off the bench. It could lead to a very good receiving corp for the next few years. I would LOVE to see them find another guy later in the draft that can come in and fall in as the 4th WR and work with these young guys. Then, you talk about a scary offense.

zulater
01-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Bryant's issues were never those that were listed. His issues were, he lacked maturity. That, in a nutshell, was the biggest issue he faced. It caused him to be lazy and not put in the work, on and off the field. It attributed to a high number of drops because he lost concentration, which, to me, is a product of not handling your reps in practice the right way. I believe if you catch enough passes, take things seriously in practice, and put in the work, it translates to gamedays and those types of mistakes don't happen.

The thing is, Bryant had a wake up call to end his sophomore season. Clemson sat him at home for his bowl game. He was with his mom and grandmother and he stated they cried during the bowl game because he was there with them and not playing. They talked of the future and his two kids. He appeared to grow up quick after that. He started to put in the work, not only on the field but in class and meetings. Clemson coaches said it was a complete turnaround. He began talking of being better for his kids. In essence, he had a reason to press. To me, that showed a ton of maturity. When you begin to place others ahead of yourself, that is growing up. It has paid off for him and paid off for the Steelers. He has brought that more mature work ethic to Pittsburgh and landed with Antonio Brown, who may be one of the better workers in all of football. Lucky they play the same position as he can help Bryant become better. And, with the emergence of Bryant, it should wake Wheaton up, because if it does not, he will be the slot guy coming off the bench. It could lead to a very good receiving corp for the next few years. I would LOVE to see them find another guy later in the draft that can come in and fall in as the 4th WR and work with these young guys. Then, you talk about a scary offense.

Good post. And while obviously adding another quality wr to the mix would be useful if they're to address offense early in this draft I think it will be on a play-making tight end. For one thing Miller ism coming close to the end of his run. And even if you can get 3 or 4 more quality years out of Heath you can always find a way to get another quality play maker on the field.

TMC
01-13-2015, 12:23 PM
When I state find another guy in the draft, I am thinking 4th-7th round. I think the draft will have some potential sleepers at WR.