PDA

View Full Version : Next DC

polamalubeast
01-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Who would you like to have as DC?

I hope it's going to be outside of the team

MrPgh
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM
If Butler really is going to be the next DC, how long will they wait to announce it? The longer they wait, the more speculation will creep up that it won't be Butler.

86WARD
01-11-2015, 11:14 AM
I'd like to see them interview some outside people and get something fresh and new in here. This team doesn't have the personnel or talent to run LeBeau's defense...which most likely would be most of what Butler would run.

SteelerFanInStl
01-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I want a change. Change in philosophy, change in scheme. Something fresh to combat today's pass heavy NFL offenses.

GBMelBlount
01-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I want a change. Change in philosophy, change in scheme. Something fresh to combat today's pass heavy NFL offenses.

How about changing to good players? lol.

SteelerFanInStl
01-11-2015, 11:29 AM
How about changing to good players? lol.

Better drafting would certainly help. That's why I'd still like to see Colbert fired.

I find it hard to believe that LeBeau didn't have any say in who we were drafting though. The whole organization has ignored the secondary for so long.

st33lersguy
01-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Anyone know who are good DC candidates? I am concerned that we don't have the personnel to effectively run the system Butler will run, plus bringing in an outside face improved both the offensive line and the offensive output

Shoes
01-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Who would you like to have as DC?

I hope it's going to be outside of the team

I'm ok with Butler having a shot at the position, but bringing in candidates from *outside the clan* is both healthy and wise.

fansince'76
01-11-2015, 12:54 PM
At this point, I kind of hope someone new is brought in because it doesn't look like Butler is going to be given a fair shake from many fans.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 01:28 PM
At this point, I kind of hope someone new is brought in because it doesn't look like Butler is going to be given a fair shake from many fans.

they did not ask the fans before making the move to fire , go separate ways , resign , we no longer need your services or whatever term you feel comfortable placing on it ....

so what doe it matter how the fans receive him or anyone else ?

fans for the most part did not receive Haley with open arms

fansince'76
01-11-2015, 01:36 PM
they did not ask the fans before making the move to fire , go separate ways , resign , we no longer need your services or whatever term you feel comfortable placing on it ....

so what doe it matter how the fans receive him or anyone else ?

It doesn't, but I'd rather not hear all the bitching about it.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 01:46 PM
It doesn't, but I'd rather not hear all the bitching about it.

kind of tough on a MB that is designed to talk about the football team and this is a Big deal

MrPgh
01-11-2015, 01:56 PM
If Butler gets the DC job and runs the same defense LeBeau did, then they should have just held onto LeBeau.

ALLD
01-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Bring in somebody from college.

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Anyone know who are good DC candidates? I am concerned that we don't have the personnel to effectively run the system Butler will run, plus bringing in an outside face improved both the offensive line and the offensive output

Most of these guys sounds like great options: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/1/11/7527439/potential-external-candidates-replacements-steelers-defensive-coordinator

Wade Phillips, Rocky Seto, Raheem Morris, Pepper Johnson.

GoSlash27
01-11-2015, 03:57 PM
I suspect that whoever it is will be fully on board with Tomlin's "flexibility" mantra.
The Steelers will probably no longer have an identity on defense going forward.

tube517
01-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Did Butlers contract expire? Is he now free to interview with other teams?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
01-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Most of these guys sounds like great options: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/1/11/7527439/potential-external-candidates-replacements-steelers-defensive-coordinator

Wade Phillips, Rocky Seto, Raheem Morris, Pepper Johnson.

I'd choose Wade Phillips because he is a tremendous defensive coordinator and the Steelers have had success with high profile coaches (Haley, Munchak)

Steelman
01-11-2015, 05:27 PM
I'd choose Wade Phillips because he is a tremendous defensive coordinator and the Steelers have had success with high profile coaches (Haley, Munchak)

In that case, let's go after Dan Quinn from Seattle. (obviously not going to happen, just going along with your premise.)

Pepper Johnson is intriguing though. The Bills had a pretty good defense this year without a lot of big name players.

86WARD
01-11-2015, 08:27 PM
There are two players out there that could instantly help this team if they were brought in via free agency...Pernell McPhee and Byron Maxwell. Add those two and this defense becomes much better...becomes a playoff defense...no matte who the DC is.

steel9guy
01-11-2015, 08:36 PM
I would like to see a defense like baltimore has. Don't they run a hybird 4-3 and 3-4 defense? I will not be upset if Butler gets the job because I think he will break away from the Lebeau mold more so than other fans believe. I personally want us to hire from the outside.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 09:54 PM
what is puzzling to me is ...

IF Butler is the guy , why are they taking so long to make it official ?

GoSlash27
01-11-2015, 10:07 PM

'Cuz it's the weekend?

Jaucer
01-11-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm still not certain that the plan isn't to go to a base 4-3 defense. Heyward and Tuitt as DE's, McLendon & McCullers and DT's. Timmons as the Mike LB, Spence as the Sam LB and Shazier as the Will LB. I think that is how they have been drafting for awhile except for Jones who was a direct result of Spence's injury but ended up being slower than the thought. Maybe that plays into why LeBeau resigned. Maybe his defensive strategy didn't align with Tomlin's plan.

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2015, 10:53 PM

Gee, could it be that the front office is wise enough to weigh their options?

katmandu
01-12-2015, 12:49 AM
Gee, could it be that the front office is wise enough to weigh their options?I think the Front Office is reading this forum to see what we have to say on the matter! LOL!

pepsyman1
01-12-2015, 05:34 AM
There are a number of coaches around the NFL who run their own interpretation of the 3-4. Some of them spent time with LeBeau or with other people that had been under LeBeau. I think Butler has been around long enough and seen enough of the ups and downs of this defense that I'm sure he has his own ideas on how to tweek what we've been doing. He's gotten to see the biggest issues we've dealt with and hopefully has some ideas for how to solve them. If he does get it, I would expect that our "base" defense will be more aggressive than they've been the last few years with Coach D. Hopefully, he would find a way to get young players up to contributing quicker. Other teams that run aggressive 3-4's don't seem to have the issues we do getting players up to speed. Give him a shot, we've been holding him back for years, they must think he's got the skills, otherwise they've just been screwing with him the last 5 years

86WARD
01-12-2015, 05:47 AM

Probably would announce it with a presser during the week...not on a Saturday or Sunday. Especially a Divisional Playoff Sunday. Hopefully he's not going to be handed the job and they'll interview more than one candidate...

Steeldude
01-12-2015, 06:07 AM

Don't they have to interview a black candidate before a decision is made? Or is that strictly for head coaching vacancies?

Steelerette
01-12-2015, 08:08 AM
First interview questions:

"So tell me how you feel about the Prevent Defense."

I've had my bouts of frustration with LeBeau as we all would with any coach, but if he really "had to go" then this has to be one of the bigger issues with him.

Dwinsgames
01-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Don't they have to interview a black candidate before a decision is made? Or is that strictly for head coaching vacancies?

99% sure that only applies to HC jobs

Craic
01-12-2015, 09:44 AM

99% sure that only applies to HC jobs

I believe Dwins is correct here. The issue was that there were little to no black head coaches in the NFL, so the Rooney Rule was put in place to change that.

katmandu
01-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Well, it won't be Rex Ryan.

http://nesn.com/2015/01/buffalo-bills-announce-hiring-of-rex-ryan-as-new-head-coach/

Dwinsgames
01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
I hope they at the very least give Jim Schwarts a good hard look

Steeldude
01-12-2015, 02:46 PM
I hope they at the very least give Jim Schwarts a good hard look

Did the Bills let him go?

86WARD
01-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Did the Bills let him go?

Sounds like they did. From what I heard, Rex is bringing his DC with him and Roman will be the OC.