PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau resigning as Steelers defensive coordinator

stillers4me
01-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Calling it a “mutual parting,” Pro Football Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau told the Urbana Daily Citizen on Saturday that he is resigning as defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
“I’m resigning this position, not retiring,” LeBeau, 77, said in an exclusive interview with the Daily Citizen. “I had a great run in Pittsburgh. I’m grateful for all the things that have happened to me and thankful for all the support I had in Pittsburgh.”

During his tenure with the Steelers over the last 11 years, the team won two Super Bowls and his defenses were usually ranked among the best in the league.

“It was a lot of fun,” he said.........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/10/LeBeau-resigning-as-Steelers-defensive-coordinator/stories/201501100138

polamalubeast
01-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Thank you Dick Lebeau

He was a amazing DC for us!

Now,why not Rex Ryan!

Bluecoat96
01-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Wow. Arizona?

zulater
01-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Wow. Arizona?

Virtually a lock.

stillers4me
01-10-2015, 03:58 PM
It's time....thanks for everything, coach. you will always be a Steeler!!! And one of the most beloved coaches we ever had!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/4_9_7.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sueincinci/media/Smileys/4_9_7.gif.html)

NCSteeler
01-10-2015, 04:00 PM
At least they handled this better than the Arians retirement. It's been a good run with Dick , but it seems like it's time to move on. Only question now is 3-4 or 4-3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
01-10-2015, 04:02 PM
To be honest...I didnt expect this

ALLD
01-10-2015, 04:02 PM
He needs to work to keep living. Thanks for the memories. LeBeau and Harrison to Arizona by next week.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 04:04 PM
well this sucks IMO

KeiselPower99
01-10-2015, 04:07 PM
3-4 is where we stay and Keith Butler gets the DC job he has been waiting on. Thank you Coach for everything you have given to this franchise its fans and the players.

Drazo85
01-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Great coach, who coached some of the greatest defenses ever. Good bye and i wish him good luck in Arizona.

crcsnail
01-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Great coach. Great times . Retire and relax .nothing left to prove coach .

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2015, 04:25 PM
WOW. What an amazing run its been. This is one of those pieces of news everyone knew was coming soon yet it will ALWAYS be surprising. Man, i dont even know how to feel. i just know that im happy that dick lebeau had a legendary run with the best team in sports. hats off to you sir and god bless!

Devilsdancefloor
01-10-2015, 04:25 PM
well this is like a kick in the stomach, but i thin it was time, also i think troy retires now. coach dad you are a incredible coach, a even better person thank you for everything

SteelerFanInStl
01-10-2015, 04:26 PM
He's 77. He should step back and just enjoy his life. Coach Dad had a great long run as DC and we're all grateful for what he did.

With that being said, I'm excited for the change. He's been running basically the same defensive scheme for a long time and the rest of the NFL knows it.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 04:33 PM
http://554042148912635904

zulater
01-10-2015, 04:33 PM
He made it clear he wasn't retiring which means he was forced out.

fansince'76
01-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Good luck and godspeed, Coach Dad. Thanks for all the memories.

Mamaduck43
01-10-2015, 04:37 PM
The end of an era...... Godspeed, Coach.... Thank you for all you have done in your years with the Steelers....

Texasteel
01-10-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't know what to say. It's going to be strange not seeing Dick on the sideline. I wish him all the happiness in the world, but I think that would involve coaching someplace. He loves football that much.

Moose
01-10-2015, 04:40 PM
I, like everyone else, knew this new's was soon coming but just didn't know when. I'm glad Coach LeBeau spent his best year's in the Black/Gold and has some fond memories to leave with. I wish him the best of luck and health in his time away from football. I'm sure he'll be back in the football frame of mind soon, whether it be in broadcasting, coaching or a front office. Now, time moves on for the Steeler's. I'm excited to see who steps up in the DC mode. Hopefully it will be a wise choice for the team. Thanks again Coach. Have a great life. And please no coaching against us !

Heinz Hitman
01-10-2015, 04:43 PM
It's sad, but it's also time. He will be remembered as the greatest DC ever, IMO. Be interesting/exciting to see what Keith Butler has up his sleeve. Also, what do you think about the possibility of Joey Porter becoming LB coach to replace Butler?

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2015, 04:45 PM
He made it clear he wasn't retiring which means he was forced out.

he said he's resigning, not retiring. yes yes, i know to take words with a grain of salt but not having lebeau on our sidelines doesnt have to be something personal either.

tons of coaches string the end of their careers with teams they arent usually associated with. nothing new here.

Bluecoat96
01-10-2015, 04:47 PM
I think they probably let him resign with dignity rather than be fired outright.

NCSteeler
01-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Why do so many assume that Butler will be some sort of super DC? Idk, his background other than he has been our LB coach. am I missing something? Seems there are a lot of coaches to interview before you just hand the job over to someone

Butch
01-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Wow my son just called me and told me about this. It's a shame that he is not retiring a Steeler, but I don't begrudge him to trying his talents elsewhere. I join the rest of you who in wishing him good luck in where he goes and what he does, as long as it's not against us.

Thank you for everything Coach LeBeau, you will not be forgotten by the fans of Pittsburgh!!!

zulater
01-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Dollars to donuts Butler will be the replacement.

So who here is prepared to say Butler is an upgrade over LeBeau?

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 04:56 PM
a Recipe is only as good as its list of ingredients ... same can be said for defenses

we traveled this road before " post Lebeau " and it didnt work out so well ...

just like the 20 years + without a franchise QB you don't know what ya had till its gone argument , it fits here just as eloquently

- - - Updated - - -

not me , in fact not even sure Butler can spit the play out fast enough he is a slow communicator

fansince'76
01-10-2015, 04:59 PM

As long as he doesn't turn out to be another Tim Lewis...

zulater
01-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Why do so many assume that Butler will be some sort of super DC? Idk, his background other than he has been our LB coach. am I missing something? Seems there are a lot of coaches to interview before you just hand the job over to someone

Were it my decision to make Butler would be given no more than a courtesy interview. And maybe that's how this flies? :noidea: But my gut feeling is that Butler is going to be given the job. Maybe he'll be great? I hope so. But I think in the end they've done themselves no favors if they replace in house.

stillers4me
01-10-2015, 05:03 PM
I agree that they let him resign rather than fire him.

st33lersguy
01-10-2015, 05:15 PM
It was time, glad he recognized it. You're accomplishments will never be forgotten LeBeau.

fansince'76
01-10-2015, 05:18 PM
It was time, glad he recognized it. You're accomplishments will never be forgotten LeBeau.

As others in this thread have already pointed out, I don't think he recognized it so much as they let him resign as opposed to being fired. Ten bucks says he's the Cardinals' DC next year.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 05:23 PM
is anyone else concerned THIS is probably what we are looking at as the DC ?

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Keith-Butler-on-5th-Rd-pick-Stevenson-Sylvester/0514e6c0-e895-4fd7-9130-5783de6c9210

Heinz Hitman
01-10-2015, 05:24 PM
He was probably tired of having crap players to work with the last 2 or 3 years. Hopefully Colbert does a better job this year in the draft and free agency...

Steelman
01-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Man, I guess I saw this coming but it still hurt when I got the notification on my phone. Coach Dad is one of the best, I wish him luck in his next endeavors, probably with Arizona. :chuckle:

I'm not high on Butler, would rather see us bring in a solid crop of DC's to interview. We need a guy who has a track record of tutoring and bringing up young players.

NCSteeler
01-10-2015, 05:27 PM
This may seal a four way retirement party with Harrison, Ike, Troy and Keisel

fansince'76
01-10-2015, 05:28 PM

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Keith-Butler-on-5th-Rd-pick-Stevenson-Sylvester/0514e6c0-e895-4fd7-9130-5783de6c9210

It gives me no more pause than LeBeau maintaining that Troy and Ike playing somehow made our defense better this past season...

Shoes
01-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Best wishes to Dick, I'm not sold at all on Butler….bring in some competition.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 05:31 PM
good article here on Lebeau http://steelcurtainrising.com/2015/01/steelers-should-have-kept-dick-lebeau.html/?utm_term=Steel+Curtain+Rising&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

X-Terminator
01-10-2015, 05:32 PM
a Recipe is only as good as its list of ingredients ... same can be said for defenses

we traveled this road before " post Lebeau " and it didnt work out so well ...

This day was coming anyway, whether anyone likes it or not. LeBeau is 77 years old. He's not going to coach forever.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 05:36 PM
This day was coming anyway, whether anyone likes it or not. LeBeau is 77 years old. He's not going to coach forever.

as Ben won't QB forever either .... point is you don't give those guys away for nothing you keep them or get a return on them because lord knows if they have the proper weapons you sure as hell do not want to face them

X-Terminator
01-10-2015, 05:45 PM
as Ben won't QB forever either .... point is you don't give those guys away for nothing you keep them or get a return on them because lord knows if they have the proper weapons you sure as hell do not want to face them

And the flip side of that is that the Steelers know LeBeau's defense inside and out, and know where the weaknesses are.

Say he goes to AZ. So what? A, he's in the NFC, which means B, they'd only face him once every 4 years, next year included. They could meet in the SB, but as long as Seattle, GB and Dallas stay strong, it will be difficult for them to get there.

I don't have an issue with this. Clearly the Steelers want to go in a different direction, and I'm fine with that. I just have doubts that Butler is the guy for the job.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 05:50 PM
I just have doubts that Butler is the guy for the job.

as do I ....

1) he is not going to be as good as his teacher , students rarely are

2) he will inherrit the same broken system because of the lack of ingredients 2 CBs 1 FS perhaps 1 SS and at the very minimum 1 OLB that can actually rush the passer ....

3) still uncertain NT spot albeit there is Hope for McCullers

so hand him a broken cog and expect it to work better is a pipe dream IMO

steelreserve
01-10-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm very thankful for everything he did for this team, and that will always be my first and foremost thought of him.

That aside, at present, it's time for a change and I think we all know why.

Sure, there are questions about whether the next guy can do the job. But I also have a bit of hope that we will no be so rigidly married to a defensive scheme that we obviously do not have the players to pull off.

If Butler is his own man and willing to do some serious tinkering for the long-term betterment of the team, then that breath of fresh air will be a good thing. If he's strictly a carbon copy of LeBeau's thought process and philosophy, only less talented, then things are going to get worse before they get better.

KeiselPower99
01-10-2015, 06:06 PM
as do I ....

2) he will inherrit the same broken system because of the lack of ingredients 2 CBs 1 FS perhaps 1 SS and at the very minimum 1 OLB that can actually rush the passer ....

Maybe Butler will take the defense and scheme and bring it into this era of football. Its easy to sit here and be nit picky about a guy but maybe he has his own ideas on how to hide the defensive problems. Yes the defense needs help and better players but no matter who you hire its the same problem.

86WARD
01-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Agree with most of the people here.

Not happy to see LeBeau go...but I think it was time. I would rather see them explore some outside candidates before "handing" the job to Butler. Not sold on him as the DC...never have loved the idea. Troy, Ike, Silverback and Diesel are most likely gone...agree with that as well.

salamander
01-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Wow... honestly was not expecting that but I am very grateful he was our DC and I wish him the best.

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2015, 06:40 PM
as do I ....

1) Uh, i dont think anyone is expecting Butler to top arguably the best defensive coordinator of all time. that being said, with this statement and the last statement in your post, in addition to your pessimism towards Butler, you seem to be implying that anyone that ran our defense this season not named dick lebeau would have produced an even crappier defense. i disagree, but that doesnt mean im depreciating the legendary defenses he created here and the contributions he made to the game of football in general. Thats not an endorsement of Keith Butler, as i have no idea what to expect of him. And as for students rarely being better than their teachers? Thats 100% selective and up in the air. Depends on what student-teacher pairs you're looking at. Although that probably falls true between Lebeau and Butler. Kind of hard to top the best ever.

2) We have no idea if he is or isnt even going to use the same system we had in place. Yes, he's been here for a long time. Yes, Dick Lebeau is no doubt an influence on him. That doesnt mean he has the creativity of a rock. Last time I checked he has an impressive pedigree based on him churning out linebackers that became very good or overachieved greatly such as Jamir Miller, Wali Rainer, Barry Minter, Earl Holmes, Joey Porter, Larry Foote, Lawrence Timmons, James Harrison, James Farrior, Clark Haggans, Lamaar Woodley, Vince Williams, etc.

Albeit this is all assuming that he is actually going to be our next DC.

3) Theres uncertainty, but not at the starting spot, and a lot of promise for the next body on the depth chart. Not nearly enough uncertainty that we should be drafting high here. CB, S, TE, OLB, and DE (for depth) all seem like bigger priorities.

i dont know what you were expecting to hear in a press conference about a newly drafted player. Lots of negative things? Of course not. No one drafts someone with the intention of them not being a good player. Dick Lebeau almost always talks good about his players even if theyre awful. Veterans and rookies alike. Saxon said Archer "is as tough as any kid around." What's he supposed to say? "He sucks, we overdrafted him and immediately regretted the pick when we put it in." No, its just lip service.

Drazo85
01-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Is there any chance Carnel Lake would be considered for LeBeau's replacement?

zulater
01-10-2015, 06:48 PM
According to Jim Wexall LeBeau was surprised when Tomlin told him his services were no longer required. So they can call it whatever they want, but he was fired. Sad day. I honestly thought they'd bring him back for one more year. Thought given the lack of talent they did some nice things later in the season. Tell me how many teams are winning playing Antwon Blake and Brice McCain for a majority of your plays?

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2015, 06:56 PM

he seems way to green in the coaching world to do it yet

Shoes
01-10-2015, 07:03 PM

It's better to go outside the team imo.

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2015, 07:06 PM
According to Jim Wexall LeBeau was surprised when Tomlin told him his services were no longer required. So they can call it whatever they want, but he was fired. Sad day. I honestly thought they'd bring him back for one more year. Thought given the lack of talent they did some nice things later in the season. Tell me how many teams are winning playing Antwon Blake and Brice McCain for a majority of your plays?

Very few, but its possible. Dean Pees, Todd Bowles, and Jim O'Neill all did a great job under much more difficult circumstances. Again, not an endorsement of Butler or depreciation of Lebeau. I think its grown hard for steeler fans like me to accept anything less than excellence from possibly the best to ever do it.

Moose
01-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Hey new DC ....." Get rid of that DAMN 5 yrd cushion by the CB's " ! :(

Count Steeler
01-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the memories Mr. LeBeau. Godspeed in your next endeavor.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 07:34 PM
fans (and front office ) better hope Buters version of Lebeaus system is closer to Ray Hortons version than Jim Hasletts

Devilsdancefloor
01-10-2015, 07:52 PM
the more i think about this the one thing that is eating at me WHY no press conference and have a Mr Rooney announce and have coach dad talk for a a few minutes, but i agree he will be a DC with BA

SteelerFanInStl
01-10-2015, 08:09 PM
I really hope that the Steelers don't just hand the job to Butler. They need to bring candidates in for interviews and give the job to the most qualified person. I'm not sure that Butler would be that person.

86WARD
01-10-2015, 08:14 PM
the more i think about this the one thing that is eating at me WHY no press conference and have a Mr Rooney announce and have coach dad talk for a a few minutes, but i agree he will be a DC with BA

Because he was flat out fired. That simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet Danny Smith is still employed...lol. Fucking Tomlin...

KeiselPower99
01-10-2015, 08:48 PM
fans (and front office ) better hope Buters version of Lebeaus system is closer to Ray Hortons version than Jim Hasletts

Your negativity is getting old. This could be said about any guy replacing another guy. Every person has their own twist to how things should be ran. Plus it is all assumption right now that Butler is handed the job.

Shoes
01-10-2015, 08:49 PM
http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/tag/steelers/

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2015, 08:49 PM

Dear God. Dont ever say that name.

The Bark
01-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Love LeBeau and wish him the best, but for the life of me I honestly cannot see whoever comes in next as being as conservative as he had become. I want to get back to blitzing and making QB's uncomfortable. There was a time 10-12 years ago where they couldn't because the secondary sucked as well and they were afraid of giving up the big pass play. Some obvious blame lays with the pass-rush off the edge, but come on - how predictable had the defense really become when practically all the pressure seemed to be dependent on those two? Sure, having a NT swallow up double-teams helps, but I saw plenty of instances where McCullers pushed his man and opened up a gap big enough for Big Snack to have blitzed through if he were a middle linebacker AND not always dropping back into coverage.

There's a lot of doubts about Butler, but people seem to not be giving him any credit for bringing along an undrafted, cut several times linebacker with the initials of James Harrison. Doesn't he deserve some credit for what's been accomplished with the linebacking corps over the years, or does everybody think that's merely LeBeau? As for the clip with Sylvester Stevenson, do you expect him to sit there and bad-mouth the pick? And the comment about students rarely surpassing their teachers, wasn't LeBeau himself an underling to Dom Capers during his first stint back in the 90's?

Like I said, I love the guy and all that he's done - but like I've also said elsewhere, when your defense is so systemically difficult that you can't bring in players - whether via the draft or free agency - and have them contribute meaningfully without wasting literally years learning it, there's something fundamentally wrong with it or the players they're selecting. No doubt hanging onto the free-agents past their primes have contributed to the decline in the defense, but there's also no doubt part of the reason for that is because of its complexity - something that proved to be detrimental on both fronts.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I think the defense had become too dependent on a couple of key veteran players and as a result, hasn't been able to perhaps function the way it should as a unit and ultimately becoming way too conservative as a result.

Dwinsgames
01-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Your negativity is getting old. This could be said about any guy replacing another guy. Every person has their own twist to how things should be ran. Plus it is all assumption right now that Butler is handed the job.

speaking my mind on the matter , not sure what to tell you on that note ...

Butler will be handed the job and I am willing to put my money where my mouth is on that matter

if it is negative it only proves I am not drinking the koolaid they are serving

fansince'76
01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
if it is negative it only proves I am not drinking the koolaid they are serving

I don't consider keeping an open mind and being willing to give the guy a chance before throwing him under the bus as "drinking the Kool-Aid."

The defense finished the season ranked 27th overall and 18th in scoring. And it probably would have been even worse had the offense not led the league in TOP. It really can't get much worse by my reckoning. This defense was "1988 Steelers bad" this year.

Steeldude
01-10-2015, 10:56 PM
He needs to work to keep living. Thanks for the memories. LeBeau and Harrison to Arizona by next week.

I don't know if Harrison will follow, but he will probably retire now. This means the Steelers will need to patch the hole in the OLB position.

I guess we will see what Butler will do. Hopefully he is more aggressive. I think they need to be due to the lack of talent on defense.

Yep, Lebeau to AZ. Where old people go to retire.

Lady Steel
01-10-2015, 11:41 PM
I am deeply saddened to hear of Coach LeBeau's resignation from the Pittsburgh Steelers. I absolutely adore him. He is such a sweet, kind, and wonderful man. He is a man of integrity. I always smiled when they showed him on the sidelines. To be doing what he is doing at his age is admirable. And he's such a cutie-pie. :lol: He is a living legend and the epitome of what I think a defensive coordinator for the team I love so much should be. I will miss him so much, but hope he continues to follow his dreams, whatever they may be. I will continue to follow his career if coaching football is the path he continues to follow.

Thank you, Coach LeBeau, for the awesome memories you helped create with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Your fans love you and adore you. You will be greatly missed but never forgotten.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7CCfHjCUAAKDnW.jpg

:Cry:

pepsyman1
01-11-2015, 12:21 AM
Hey new DC ....." Get rid of that DAMN 5 yrd cushion by the CB's " ! :(

5 yards? Which team are you looking at? It's frequently close to 10! Usually when it's 3rd and 7. Lol

st33lersguy
01-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Is there anyway we can include LeBeau's resume as a defensive coordinator as part of his accomplishments, because the way he advanced the game deserves considerations for the hall on its own. A true innovator

86WARD
01-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Think Tomlin, being the defensive guy that he is, will have influence on the system the new guy will run?

Hindes204
01-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Think Tomlin, being the defensive guy that he is, will have influence on the system the new guy will run?

Yes.

and me being the conspiracy theorist that I am...maybe Tomlin has been waiting for the defense to take a downturn the whole time. That way he cOuld convince the higher ups to let Dick go, that way, he gets more control over the defense.

just a thought...probably influenced by my dislike of Tomlin

Butch
01-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Yes.

and me being the conspiracy theorist that I am...maybe Tomlin has been waiting for the defense to take a downturn the whole time. That way he cOuld convince the higher ups to let Dick go, that way, he gets more control over the defense.

just a thought...probably influenced by my dislike of Tomlin

Your post has me wondering if the conspiracy that the Rooney's have been forcing things on Tomlin has any truth to it. If it does then maybe this is the Rooney's saying they will let Tomlin coach this team and make the player personnel decisions. If that is the case then I can at least appreciate that they are going to let Mike sink or swim at long last. We will probably never know, but only time will tell.

CapLovesTroyP43
01-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Thank you Coach for all you did. Steelers Nation will forever love you. May your future be blessed with nothing but all good things. We'll miss seeing you on the sidelines.

- - - Updated - - -

I am deeply saddened to hear of Coach LeBeau's resignation from the Pittsburgh Steelers. I absolutely adore him. He is such a sweet, kind, and wonderful man. He is a man of integrity. I always smiled when they showed him on the sidelines. To be doing what he is doing at his age is admirable. And he's such a cutie-pie. :lol: He is a living legend and the epitome of what I think a defensive coordinator for the team I love so much should be. I will miss him so much, but hope he continues to follow his dreams, whatever they may be. I will continue to follow his career if coaching football is the path he continues to follow.

Thank you, Coach LeBeau, for the awesome memories you helped create with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Your fans love you and adore you. You will be greatly missed but never forgotten.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7CCfHjCUAAKDnW.jpg

:Cry:

Nice tribute!

stillers4me
01-11-2015, 10:09 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10434191_686100174844796_7054167702857686663_n.jpg ?oh=840f2207217ee0e03716a8b5af764340&oe=5529C452&__gda__=1428954339_d0c5feb058576cd47c60c111f7c4d66 7

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 10:36 AM
I don't consider keeping an open mind and being willing to give the guy a chance before throwing him under the bus as "drinking the Kool-Aid."

The defense finished the season ranked 27th overall and 18th in scoring. And it probably would have been even worse had the offense not led the league in TOP. It really can't get much worse by my reckoning. This defense was "1988 Steelers bad" this year.

yep and the exact same scheme was tops in the NFL just 3 years ago the only thing that changed was the players .... cant blame the scheme or the coach he didnt forget how to coach his system he just didnt have the players to execute it ...

putting Butler in that same system with the same players does nothing positive ...

Lebeau was a sacrificial lamb period ...

and I do not have to like it ... nor do I have to give Butler the benefit of the doubt , he has to earn it and up until now he has not ...

have our Linebackers been over achieving ? I think not , what makes anyone think the entire def suddenly will under his guidance ...

proof is in the pudding all we have seen so far is sour milk from Butler IMO

polamalubeast
01-11-2015, 10:39 AM
yep and the exact same scheme was tops in the NFL just 3 years ago the only thing that changed was the players .... cant blame the scheme or the coach he didnt forget how to coach his system he just didnt have the players to execute it ...

putting Butler in that same system with the same players does nothing positive ...

Lebeau was a sacrificial lamb period ...

and I do not have to like it ... nor do I have to give Butler the benefit of the doubt , he has to earn it and up until now he has not ...

have our Linebackers been over achieving ? I think not , what makes anyone think the entire def suddenly will under his guidance ...

proof is in the pudding all we have seen so far is sour milk from Butler IMO

I hope it will not be Butler the next DC!....I want the defense to be better next year, not worse

Of course the talent must be better too!

zulater
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I wonder if this came about over a difference of opinion on one or more of the older veterans returning or not? Since the final gun of the Raven game sounded the Steelers front office has been leaking out in drips and drabs (through the hometown press) that they have no interest in bringing back any of the older guys for one more run. So if Dick is telling them that given the situation he needs Harrison (no brainer) maybe Keisel ( for depth which is sorely lacking) and possibly even Troy, this was how they reacted?

Probably not the case, but a theory nonetheless.

fansince'76
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM
yep and the exact same scheme was tops in the NFL just 3 years ago...

Wasn't Butler also part of that too?

zulater
01-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Whether this proves to be the right move or not, I'm disappointed in the way it happened. I wonder if they tried to pitch one final season to him and then step out with full ceremony? Butler's waited this long, why not one more year?

Just doesn't befit the moment to have some podunk Ohio paper announce his resignation like that.

86WARD
01-11-2015, 11:11 AM
It's funny that the LBs as a group improved when James Harrison returned. Both in game and attitude...just an observation.

polamalubeast
Ed Bouchette: “It’s A Bit Messy Because Dick Didn’t Want To Leave”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/01/11/ed-bouchette-its-a-bit-messy-because-dick-didnt-want-to-leave/

Dwinsgames
Wasn't Butler also part of that too?

yea so was a lot of people , many which are gone or over the hill hence the primary reason of decline

86WARD
01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
I wonder if this came about over a difference of opinion on one or more of the older veterans returning or not? Since the final gun of the Raven game sounded the Steelers front office has been leaking out in drips and drabs (through the hometown press) that they have no interest in bringing back any of the older guys for one more run. So if Dick is telling them that given the situation he needs Harrison (no brainer) maybe Keisel ( for depth which is sorely lacking) and possibly even Troy, this was how they reacted?

Probably not the case, but a theory nonetheless.

I'd be willing to bet that you are at the least partially correct...it will tell a lot seeing if any of them return...maybe it won't.

SteelerFanInStl
01-11-2015, 11:17 AM
This article on nfl.com paints a different picture. They say that it was LeBeau's choice to leave. That he wasn't forced out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456557/article/dick-lebeaus-resignation-caught-steelers-by-surprise

katmandu
01-11-2015, 11:20 AM
According to Jim Wexall LeBeau was surprised when Tomlin told him his services were no longer required. So they can call it whatever they want, but he was fired. Ya know what....... I've been a Steeler's fan as long as I can remember. Probably back from around 1969 or 1970 when Frenchy Fuqua signed a "rotten piece of paper' (great inside story BTW) for a (7) year old kid (me) back in Latrobe.

This (Firing of Coach Dad) is single handley is the most disturbing piece of news I have EVER heard from the Steeler organization. PERIOD.

Everyone says they "knew this day was coming". NO you didn't and I didn't either. YES, we all know that father time would catch up with Coach LeBeau, but I seriously doubt anyone realistically thought he would be FIRED. Well, a few of you perhaps.

LeBeau didn't all the sudden (that anyone publically knows) "lose it" and become incompetent. Look at the cast of characters that he had to work with this season. How many players (Defense) have a year or less experience ? Look at the injuries the Defense dealt with as well. These factors are out of a Coaches hands. A Coach can not control a player's body or mind (decision making ability), a coach can only COACH!

Rooney and Tomlin better have a good detailed explanation (Steeler Nation DESERVES to know) WHY LeBeau was firing and NOT just give a limped dick answer like...."It was time."

This is just BULLSHIT IMHO ! BULLSHIT !

Hawkman
01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
This article on nfl.com paints a different picture. They say that it was LeBeau's choice to leave. That he wasn't forced out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456557/article/dick-lebeaus-resignation-caught-steelers-by-surprise

We will never know the real story.

katmandu
01-11-2015, 11:28 AM
One more thing here. Tomlin/Rooney wanted a change of guard and get rid of the old, tired, suddenly incompetent coach ?

Well, they succeeded in ripping the heart out of Troy, Brett, James, Ike and the rest of our current older Steeler players as well.... AND they kicked Steeler Nation (YOU and ME) square in the NUT SACK !!!!

Gonna be REAL interesting where Tomlin and Rooney take us from here!

SteelerFanInStl
01-11-2015, 11:31 AM
We will never know the real story.

That's the truth. I just wanted to post that because everyone here seems to think that he was fired.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Ya know what....... I've been a Steeler's fan as long as I can remember. Probably back from around 1969 or 1970 when Frenchy Fuqua signed a "rotten piece of paper' (great inside story BTW) for a (7) year old kid (me) back in Latrobe.

This (Firing of Coach Dad) is single handley is the most disturbing piece of news I have EVER heard from the Steeler organization. PERIOD.

Everyone says they "knew this day was coming". NO you didn't and I didn't either. YES, we all know that father time would catch up with Coach LeBeau, but I seriously doubt anyone realistically thought he would be FIRED. Well, a few of you perhaps.

LeBeau didn't all the sudden (that anyone publically knows) "lose it" and become incompetent. Look at the cast of characters that he had to work with this season. How many players (Defense) have a year or less experience ? Look at the injuries the Defense dealt with as well. These factors are out of a Coaches hands. A Coach can not control a player's body or mind (decision making ability), a coach can only COACH!

Rooney and Tomlin better have a good detailed explanation (Steeler Nation DESERVES to know) WHY LeBeau was firing and NOT just give a limped dick answer like...."It was time."

This is just BULLSHIT IMHO ! BULLSHIT !

:iagree:

Shoes
01-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I know we are talking about not having players but wasn't Lebeau partly responsible for choosing the players we now have/had? Didn't he say last year we had the talent in the secondary already on the team? I'm not sorry to see Dick go, how it was handled may be another issue. And I'm not high on Butler.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 12:39 PM
I know we are talking about not having players but wasn't Lebeau partly responsible for choosing the players we now have/had? Didn't he say last year we had the talent in the secondary already on the team? I'm not sorry to see Dick go, how it was handled may be another issue. And I'm not high on Butler.

he has a voice in it but anyone that knows who Lebeau is also knows he is not the biggest voice in a room and often times that is the voice that gets the attention ... that being said Butler also has a say as a Pos coach .... so what you hold against Lebeau in that regard goes double for the pos coach who has 3 number 1 and a number 2 and 3 pick as his primary players in the room and did not get much from that group ....

and what do you expect from a guy with so much class throw Tomlin and Colbert ( both his bosses ) under the bus and his players by saying look guys we will be lucky to compete with this Hodge podge of bums ?

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2015, 02:03 PM
he has a voice in it but anyone that knows who Lebeau is also knows he is not the biggest voice in a room and often times that is the voice that gets the attention ... that being said Butler also has a say as a Pos coach .... so what you hold against Lebeau in that regard goes double for the pos coach who has 3 number 1 and a number 2 and 3 pick as his primary players in the room and did not get much from that group ....

and what do you expect from a guy with so much class throw Tomlin and Colbert ( both his bosses ) under the bus and his players by saying look guys we will be lucky to compete with this Hodge podge of bums ?

What in the hell.

He got plenty out of Jamir Miller, Wali Rainer, Barry Minter, Earl Holmes, Joey Porter, Larry Foote, Lawrence Timmons, James Harrison, James Farrior, Clark Haggans, Lamaar Woodley, and Vince Williams thank you very much. Name an LB coach with a better track record in that time frame.

And those 3 number 1 picks you speak of (Timmons, Jones, Shazier)? One of them is a pro bowler, one of them is a rookie who was injured a big portion of the year and had to share time with 2 other LB's who played well, and the other is still in his 2nd season and was injured most of the year. And the number 3 pick who i assume is Spence, is playing just fine, especially for a man who wasnt expected to play football ever again. The only bust there is Jason Worilds, but compared to the bounty listed above, thats a small price to pay.

Funny how a respected coach like Butler is suddenly thrown under the bus when little is known about where he currently stands in this situation. And when did he ever insult Tomlin, Colbert, and his own players in the manner that you speak of? First you diss him for complimenting his own player at a press conference, and now you think he's a dick that doesnt have something positive to say? Ridiculous.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Funny how a respected coach like Butler is suddenly thrown under the bus when little is known about where he currently stands in this situation. And when did he ever insult Tomlin, Colbert, and his own players in the manner that you speak of? First you diss him for complimenting his own player at a press conference, and now you think he's a dick that doesnt have something positive to say? Ridiculous.

where did I say any of this ?

those remarks where in responce to Shoes post on Lebeau ..... and the part there is ( note what I said again )

I know we are talking about not having players but wasn't Lebeau partly responsible for choosing the players we now have/had? Didn't he say last year we had the talent in the secondary already on the team? I'm not sorry to see Dick go, .

what do you expect from a guy with so much class throw Tomlin and Colbert ( both his bosses ) under the bus and his players by saying look guys we will be lucky to compete with this Hodge podge of bums ?

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2015, 02:17 PM
where did I say any of this ?

those remarks where in responce to Shoes post on Lebeau ..... and the part there is ( note what I said again )

ah i see that now. you forgot a period in there somewhere so i misread that portion of your post. but i stand by the rest of my statement.

steelerdude15
01-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks coach for everything you've done for this franchise. Good luck in the future.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
ah i see that now. you forgot a period in there somewhere so i misread that portion of your post. but i stand by the rest of my statement.

as for the rest of your post ... the one thing most all those players and and Dick Lebeau have in common is they are no longer steelers ( some never where ) , back when they where steelers we had a top 5 def ...

somewhere along the line we failed to address properly or coach up enough to replace the losses not only at LB but all over the defensive side of the ball and Lebeau became the fall guy for all those failures be it Tomlin , Butler or Colberts fault or some combination of two or more ....

as was said by others if the Lebeau fire is for no other reason than to implant Butler into that spot it was a big mistake

Polamalu Princess
01-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks Dick! You will be missed.

KeiselPower99
01-11-2015, 04:16 PM
I think a lot of the "failures" you speak of are in the fact Woodley couldnt stay healthy and Spence was injured. Since you have such a problem with Butler, who would you like to see as the DC this season?

Dwinsgames
01-11-2015, 04:36 PM
I think a lot of the "failures" you speak of are in the fact Woodley couldnt stay healthy and Spence was injured. Since you have such a problem with Butler, who would you like to see as the DC this season?

Dick Lebeau , is the one that should be there ...

if your going to toss out the teacher giving controls to the student is rarely a good idea ...

if making a change then wholesale change is the only way to go IMO but change was not needed better players is what was and still is needed

the failures go way beyond Woodley and Spence ... Spence could not be helped its just a tragedy

contracts where an issue and impart why we got into this mess ... over paying aged ones and under performing ones , restructuring till players where making double their value ...

inability to sign others because of bloated contracts , poor drafting and poor drafting strategies .....

lack of player development , stashing guys on a practice squad that should be on active roster to have other teams take your developing youth away ....

the problem has its fingerprints all over this organization ....

the biggest goat in this franchise is without a doubt Kevin Colbert

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2015, 06:00 PM
as for the rest of your post ... the one thing most all those players and and Dick Lebeau have in common is they are no longer steelers ( some never where ) , back when they where steelers we had a top 5 def ...

somewhere along the line we failed to address properly or coach up enough to replace the losses not only at LB but all over the defensive side of the ball and Lebeau became the fall guy for all those failures be it Tomlin , Butler or Colberts fault or some combination of two or more ....

as was said by others if the Lebeau fire is for no other reason than to implant Butler into that spot it was a big mistake

that is a whopper of a straw man's argument and you know it. uh....yeah, some of those players i listed were never steelers because the point of me listing them was that they were linebackers that developed UNDER BUTLER, not necessarily Lebeau.

And that last sentence is still to this day, a BIG if.

I'm not going to get happy/mad about any of this until we get more facts and less speculation, and until we see how well our defense does under Dick's successor. Theres hardly anything concrete to feel anything about so far. It seems like fansince76 is right. That the successor probably isnt going to get a fair shake on things if its Butler. Hell, the successor probably wont get a fair shake on things no matter who it is. Even if our defense is good under whoever 'he' turns out to be, legions of people will still be grumbling that the defense could have been even better under dick.

vader29
01-11-2015, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQIMrMuhkKc

Steelerette
01-12-2015, 08:13 AM
With so many staples likely retiring or otherwise not coming back on D, now was simply the right time to make a clean break and move to the next era. Unless you think LeBeau had another run of 6+ years left in him.

steel striker
01-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Wow just won't be the same without seeing Coach LeBeau on the sideline.

Lady Steel
01-12-2015, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkKyC9rNbLo#t=73

Godfather
01-12-2015, 06:28 PM

Don't forget Keisel and Taylor.

Lady Steel
01-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Brett Keisel talks about Coach LeBeau on the DVE Morning Show at about the 19:00 mark.

http://www.iheart.com/show/139-Randy-Baumann-and-the-DVE/?episode_id=27130225

MrPgh
01-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Don't forget Keisel and Taylor.

Good. The Steelers play Arizona next year and Ben can have his 3rd 500-yard passing game playing against Ike.

86WARD
01-13-2015, 06:37 PM
I'd LOVE to see Ike go to a team the Steelers are playing...LOVE!

Psycho Ward 86
01-13-2015, 06:45 PM
I'd LOVE to see Ike go to a team the Steelers are playing...LOVE!

:crossed: please start for the ravens please start for the ravens :crossed:

Bluecoat96
01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
http://networkstatic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/change-bad.jpghttp://www.maclife.com/files/u286882/sky-is-falling.jpg

86WARD
01-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Lol

venom
01-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Don't know if this was reported , but if LeBeau does go to Arizona, the Cards will come to Pittsburgh to play the Steelers next season

Psycho Ward 86
01-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Don't know if this was reported , but if LeBeau does go to Arizona, the Cards will come to Pittsburgh to play the Steelers next season

brace yourselves. if we lose that game, the i-told-you-so mob will be out in full force lol