PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Significant strides expected from Jarvis Jones, Ryan Shazier in 2015

Lady Steel
01-07-2015, 11:41 PM
With age increasing and talent depreciating at the position, the Steelers struck boldly, drafting linebackers No. 1 in consecutive years for the first time since World War II.

They might need much more from Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier next season than what they got up until now if their defense is to make strides toward becoming dominant again.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/08/On-the-Steelers-Significant-strides-expected-from-Jarvis-Jones-Ryan-Shazier-in-2015/stories/201501080179

86WARD
01-08-2015, 04:51 AM
I would say so...and if they don't take significant strides, this team is screwed yet again because of shitty draft selections...

Steelman
01-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I would say so...and if they don't take significant strides, this team is screwed yet again because of shitty draft selections...

And we still need more linebackers, due to Worilds...Woodley...

That being said, I thought Jarvis' play was pretty positive in the small amount of time before his injury early in the season. Shazier showed flashes here and there.

Steeldude
01-08-2015, 10:34 AM
I really don't expect Jones to be anything more than average. He vowed to get bigger and stronger, but he looked and played the same as his rookie season. Coming out of college he was known as a player who didnt like attending the weight room. I will still hold out hope though.

fansince'76
01-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Need to add Shamarko and Cortez to that list of young players that seriously need to step up.

GBMelBlount
01-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Need to add Shamarko and Cortez to that list of young players that seriously need to step up.

I gotta say, unless there are some marked improvements on defense we may blow our last opportunites for a another lombardi with Ben.

Praying it is just a matter of natural transition and gel'ing and one more year does the trick...like it did for our offensive line....

KeiselPower99
01-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Jones more than Shazier needs to improve. This will be his third year and needs to show what he can do. I fully expect moves to be made to improve his OLB counter part.

zulater
01-08-2015, 12:24 PM
I really don't expect Jones to be anything more than average. He vowed to get bigger and stronger, but he looked and played the same as his rookie season. Coming out of college he was known as a player who didnt like attending the weight room. I will still hold out hope though.

I don't think he'll even be average. I think we're looking at a major bust.

I give Shazier a chance, though I fear he may be a tweener. Not quite big or strong enough to play linebacker. But not quite fast or agile enough to play safety.

If we whiffed on both of these choices, like we did with Ziggy Hood, then any chance this team gets back to a Super Bowl in Ben's remaining years is virtually zero! You can't keep missing on first round picks!

Steeldude
01-09-2015, 09:48 AM
I don't think he'll even be average. I think we're looking at a major bust.

I give Shazier a chance, though I fear he may be a tweener. Not quite big or strong enough to play linebacker. But not quite fast or agile enough to play safety.

If we whiffed on both of these choices, like we did with Ziggy Hood, then any chance this team gets back to a Super Bowl in Ben's remaining years is virtually zero! You can't keep missing on first round picks!

I was being kind because I really can't say I know for sure if he will be a bust : ) Jones appears to be a flashy pick ala Al Davis. Tomlin seems to love splash players(Archer) more than solid, consistent players.

Hopefully Shazier can play well at that weight. Farrior played at 218, so it is possible. I too have more faith in Shazier doing better than Jones.

Perhaps Howard Jones will increase his IQ by 10 points so he can dress.

steelreserve
01-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Way I look at it with Jones is this ... with Worilds we are losing a guy who had 7.5 sacks, which quite frankly is amazing given how much of a non-factor he was all year. I can think of one, maybe two games where he made a significant impact.

At any rate, if that's what it takes to get 7.5 sacks, I don't see why Jones can't. (Or why Moats or Shazier couldn't, if we put one of them there). He would've been on pace to. Hopefully whoever replaces Worilds will also have more of an effect on regular plays, which wouldn't be hard.

I liked what I saw out of Jones early in the year. Rather than a bust, I think of him as a question mark, just like Worilds was last year. The sample size just isn't there.

I think Worilds proved that no matter what bum you put out there at OLB in a 3-4 defense, he will probably get at least 4 or 5 sacks by happening to be in the right place at the right time. He didn't do much more than that, and he shouldn't be hard to replace or do better than.

On the other side, I'm hoping we convince Harrison to come back before we panic and do something stupid. If that happens, it gives us a year to take a guy in the middle rounds and see if he catches on. With Tuitt coming into his own, AND HOPEFULLY WITH A DECENT NOSE TACKLE, THANKS, I think we'll see Jones be more successful and a better shot for a young guy to come in and succeed as well. We do NOT need to blow another first-round pick every time.

ALLD
01-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Allen looks like another Limas Sweed in one season with the pressure on. He is toast.

Shoes
01-09-2015, 08:17 PM

I think the only way it happens is if he's forced to. He says himself he doesn't want to bulk up. This year should make it clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATieZmGD9k

NCSteeler
01-09-2015, 09:06 PM
With so many first round busts/misses on defense, we are pretty much screwed. I don't expect this defense to be good for a long time, especially if the drafting doesn't change

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steeldude
01-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Way I look at it with Jones is this ... with Worilds we are losing a guy who had 7.5 sacks, which quite frankly is amazing given how much of a non-factor he was all year. I can think of one, maybe two games where he made a significant impact.

At any rate, if that's what it takes to get 7.5 sacks, I don't see why Jones can't. (Or why Moats or Shazier couldn't, if we put one of them there). He would've been on pace to. Hopefully whoever replaces Worilds will also have more of an effect on regular plays, which wouldn't be hard.

I liked what I saw out of Jones early in the year. Rather than a bust, I think of him as a question mark, just like Worilds was last year. The sample size just isn't there.

I think Worilds proved that no matter what bum you put out there at OLB in a 3-4 defense, he will probably get at least 4 or 5 sacks by happening to be in the right place at the right time. He didn't do much more than that, and he shouldn't be hard to replace or do better than.

On the other side, I'm hoping we convince Harrison to come back before we panic and do something stupid. If that happens, it gives us a year to take a guy in the middle rounds and see if he catches on. With Tuitt coming into his own, AND HOPEFULLY WITH A DECENT NOSE TACKLE, THANKS, I think we'll see Jones be more successful and a better shot for a young guy to come in and succeed as well. We do NOT need to blow another first-round pick every time.

Even a young Hampton isn't going to help Jones. Jones lacks the speed, experience, power and technique so far. Until he acquires all or some of these it won't matter who is on the D-line.

The Steelers need a young OLB who can create pressure with his own ability rather than relying on the system. In other words, they do not need a Woodley or Gildon. They need another Harrison.

steelreserve
01-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Even a young Hampton isn't going to help Jones. Jones lacks the speed, experience, power and technique so far. Until he acquires all or some of these it won't matter who is on the D-line.

The Steelers need a young OLB who can create pressure with his own ability rather than relying on the system. In other words, they do not need a Woodley or Gildon. They need another Harrison.

Well, James Harrison does not exactly grow on trees, and for that matter neither do Hampton-alikes.

I do think a good nose tackle would help Jones a lot, in that if he has weak moves ... that kind of bullshit won't work on an offensive tackle, but it can on a TE or a running back. All I know is they better do something.

Steeldude
01-11-2015, 07:02 PM
I think the only way it happens is if he's forced to. He says himself he doesn't want to bulk up. This year should make it clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATieZmGD9k

So basically the guy lied about getting stronger in the off-season. He doesn't see that he needs to get bigger and stronger? He can't rely on speed because he doesn't really have much to go on. He sounds lazy, IMO.

After seeing that video I day trade him.

86WARD
01-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Another Huey Richardson?