PDA

View Full Version : Outside the Box Solutions

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 12:57 PM
So, rather than debate last night's game, thought we could discuss some "solutions" to the problems on the roster. Not arguing that any of these will or perhaps even should happen, but more fun than thinking about a lose to the Ravens.

1. Move Allen to safety and have him work to stop all these TE's and RBs that kill the Steelers in the pass game.
2. Replace Mitchell with Thomas.
3. Bring in some FA edge rushers, gamble on 2nd contract (guys like Jabaal Sheard, Sam Acho, Akeem Ayers, Brandom Graham, etc), or look for guys that get cut loose from teams moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3, or even younger guys that got buried on depth charts or lost on practice squads, had injuries etc. Basically the no stone unturned approach.
4. Sign Walter Thurmond to man one of the CB spots. Should be cheap as he was yet again injured.
5. See if Brandon Flowers can be brought in to man the other spot.
6. See if Kyle WIlson is a decent DB rehab project.
7. Take a run at Maxwell out in Seattle, see if they can actually pay for all that talent or not. Basically, I think you can see my point, target underpaid but talented FA corners, and offer to pay them.
8. Bring in or retain 2-3 other RBs.
9. Here is the crazy one. Take a run at Josh Gordon. Word is that he is on the outs in Cleveland. Just go nuts on the WR talent pool. Let Haley line up Brown, Bryant, Wheaton, and Gordon and tell Ben to strafe teams.
10. Target a TE in FA, go big with Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas, or go smaller w/ upside (Niles Paul, Virgil Green).

Well, i wanted to get 10 and I think I have fantasized enough!

86WARD
01-04-2015, 01:09 PM
I like 10 a lot. Also 1, 3, 6, 7.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2015, 01:15 PM
no to number 9 ...

otherwise I think the no stone unturned process is always worth a shot , nothing ventured nothing gained

Godfather
01-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Convert Heyward-Bey to a defensive back. He's big, strong, fast, tackles well in the open field, and can't catch. That's a prototypical DB.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Convert Heyward-Bey to a defensive back. He's big, strong, fast, tackles well in the open field, and can't catch. That's a prototypical DB.

sounds like Old Ike in his prime

vader29
01-04-2015, 01:41 PM
no to number 9 ...

otherwise I think the no stone unturned process is always worth a shot , nothing ventured nothing gained
Agreed, no more bringing in other teams problems hoping that they are a better fit here.

NCSteeler
01-04-2015, 02:18 PM
No stone unturned, we are a long way from the team that gave a James Harrison a chance. Our scout department is becoming a hit of a joke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Butch
01-04-2015, 02:30 PM
On 2 Mitchel played all season on a pulled groin, and if that is true he deserves another shot.

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2015, 03:20 PM
1) Wow, very bold. Never heard this one before, its interesting to say the least. Id rather that he stay at CB, but if we pick up 1 of the corners you listed and draft another high then I think its something to entertain

2) Apparently Mitchell played with a torn groin all season so ill give him another chance. Still stupid on his part and the steelers organization's part. ive heard that groins are one of the easiest areas to reinjure. Could have finally gotten a good look at Shamarko if not for this stupidity.

3) This option sounds the most logical of all. Love all of those guys you listed

4) Sounds like a great option. what was the injury though?

5) If the price on CB's keeps staying flat like the past 2 seasons, fuck yes.

6) 5 years in the league and still proving to be a bust. im tired of project players at cornerback

7) He might be the most sought after at his position, but then again the same was said about Keenan Lewis (or maybe he was the 2nd most sought after), so if the price is right, sure what the hell

8) Tons of great options. Roy Helu, Bilal Powell, Shane Vereen, Matt Asiata, Daniel Thomas. And even if the RB market doesnt stay flat like the last couple seasons, no way do those guys cost much

9) Haha so tempting. But ill pass

10) Id rather go nuts on the weapons for Big Ben at TE with a move tight end like the ones you suggested.

tube517
01-04-2015, 05:32 PM
What FA CBs would do well in a LeBeau scheme?? Not that it will happen but just for discussion.

ALLD
01-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Yes to a big TE and a big NO to Josh Gordon. He will smoke himself out of the NFL very soon anyway.

steelreserve
01-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Most of that stuff focuses on improving our pass defense, and I think none of it is going to work unless we get improved play from the defensive line. That means getting a real nose tackle or going to a 4-3, or at least a hybrid system like they used in SF. Odds of both of those happening are low.

Most likely, next year we'll be looking at trotting out the same defense except for an OLB we draft as a 1-for-1 replacement for Worilds, and one rookie CB who doesn't get on the field much because he's "still learning." Except next year we won't catch such an easy break from the schedule and will be in for a dose of harsh reality. Good times.