PDA

View Full Version : Time for Steelers to turn the page

stillers4me
01-04-2015, 10:56 AM
One football team kicked the other team’s collective fanny.

The Nation can cry out and complain and call for firings, releases and mass exorcisms, and no doubt a vocal percentage will do precisely that. But the underlying principle of all that occurred in the Steelers’ 30-17 (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/HIGHLIGHTS-Steelers-vs-Ravens-Wild-Card-Game/c3cbdeda-756e-471d-9143-98f1b633fa79) loss to the Ravens in the AFC wild-card playoff Saturday night at Heinz Field could be summed up with this single sentence spoken by Kelvin Beachum: “Kudos to them. They did a good job. They came in here and won in a hostile environment.”

Or, maybe better yet, this one from Joe Flacco in the visitors’ room: “You have to play these games to win. You can’t play not to lose. You have to go out there and let everything go. These games are all extra. You can’t worry about the outcome. Play aggressive football. Don’t have a conscience.”

That’s kind of how it looked, too, didn’t it?

Both ends of it, I mean.

The Steelers, despite the momentum of a month of triumphs and the AFC North title, suddenly were the team very much “living in their fears,” to borrow Mike Tomlin’s pet phrase when he insists he’ll never do any such thing. They coached passively, with the predictably sad return of all Todd Haley’s Sideways ‘N Screens R Us nonsense in Le’Veon Bell’s absence, or Antonio Brown touching the football only four times in the first three quarters because — gasp — the Ravens might double-team him, or the equally predictable lack of Dick LeBeau’s blitzing because — gasp — Flacco might throw it so far that no one will be able to ‘tackle the catch.’ They coached to their fears............

Read more (freebie today from Dejan)........ http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/

The Bark
01-04-2015, 11:12 AM
My stomach was all jittery the first half. I watched the Steelers come out and play methodically, cautiously, and deliberately - resulting in three field goals. There was no sense of dictating the offense other than perhaps win time of possession. To eat up that much clock and come away with nine points was pretty disheartening - and yet they were only down one at the half.

I kind of got the impression from them on that the players were waiting for something to happen rather than making something happen. But yeah, overall it was like watching two boxers going at it, one protecting itself from further injury rather than going all out to win.

Drazo85
01-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Another great read form DK. Enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting.

crcsnail
01-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Another great read form DK. Enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting.

Ditto

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 11:38 AM
I kinda disagree, I think that Haley was setting some things up early. He was attempting to demonstrate that the RBs (at least Harris and Tate) were genuine offensive threats in any situation in order to not allow the Ravens D to "key" on which back was in the line-up. Couple of deep balls to Brown and Bryant get completed and this all looks different.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2015, 12:01 PM
I kinda disagree, I think that Haley was setting some things up early. He was attempting to demonstrate that the RBs (at least Harris and Tate) were genuine offensive threats in any situation in order to not allow the Ravens D to "key" on which back was in the line-up. Couple of deep balls to Brown and Bryant get completed and this all looks different.

example on two consecutive plays early in the game Martavis Bryant swooped deep into the backfield looping behind Ben running towards the left hand side of the offense 2 play later he did it again but this time he was running the football ...we showed it to them twice in a row and didnt use it , once it became a common theme we hit them with it although it only went for 6 yards ...

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 12:17 PM
example on two consecutive plays early in the game Martavis Bryant swooped deep into the backfield looping behind Ben running towards the left hand side of the offense 2 play later he did it again but this time he was running the football ...we showed it to them twice in a row and didnt use it , once it became a common theme we hit them with it although it only went for 6 yards ...

Great point. I didn't mean to argue that the gameplan was all that awesome, just that I do feel it had a point - at least initially. The first couple of drives were an attempt to demonstrate that seeing Harris on the field didn't necessarily mean run, and seeing Tate on the field didn't necessarily mean pass or vice versa. That was accomplished and likely a good thing.

The use of Harris and Tate, did not lose the game. It was a missed deep ball to Brown down the sideline, another to Bryant down the seam, and all the pressure off the edge from Dumerville and Suggs. Now we can look at whether or not Bell takes on some of that pressure and lets Ben expose the Ravens deep down the field, but I can't say that for sure.

86WARD
01-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Having Bell in the line up to pass pro and talent wise takes pressure off of Ben.

JayC
01-04-2015, 12:40 PM
it just wasn't our night. antonio usually keeps his feet in bounds, bell would have caught the ball that went off tates fingers, and so on. we didn't get the calls either but i'm not gonna hang this on the refs. just things didn't go our way. hard to win without your MVP