PDA

View Full Version : Steelers S Mike Mitchell Played All Season With A Torn Groin

86WARD
01-04-2015, 09:36 AM
After the Pittsburgh Steelers 30-19 loss Saturday night to the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC Wild Card Game, safety Mike Mitchell told Aditi Kinkhabwala of the NFL Network that he played all season with a torn groin.

Mitchell, who will reportedly have surgery this week, started training camp on the PUP list after injuring his groin while working out prior to reporting to Latrobe.

Mitchell signed a five-year, $25 million contract with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent in March and his play this season was beyond disappointing.

Source: Steelers Depot (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/01/report-steelers-s-mike-mitchell-played-season-torn-groin/)

stillers4me
01-04-2015, 09:52 AM
I remember him getting injured very early on....and when he came back he just never lived up to the hype. Here's hoping the surgery gets him back to form and next year he can contribute better. It must have been difficult listening to the criticism and keeping quiet about the injury.

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Damn. That is certainly going to change my opinion of Mitchell for the better.

GBMelBlount
01-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Me too.

NCSteeler
01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
NFL is going to love hearing this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dislocatedday
01-04-2015, 11:51 AM

It does not change my opinion of him and his play. If he was well enough to be out on the field all season and play, then he can't use it as an excuse in the locker room right after the last game of the season. The fact that he brings this up right after the playoff loss in the locker room as an excuse makes me think even less of him to be honest. I also have to question the coaches on this. If he really was hampered that badly by the injury (according to him) then the coaches should not have had him on the field. I still think he should be cut this offseason. His cap hit would be 4.2 million but it is all absorbed this one year and he is then off the books, and they still save $800K overall next year by releasing him prior to March.

Godfather
01-04-2015, 01:25 PM
That's actually bad news. I'd rather the problem be that he sucks. Then we just cut him and move on...now we don't know what we have and we potentially have to waste some cap room by cutting him (and accelerating his signing bonus).

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2015, 01:26 PM
It doesn't change my opinion of him. He sucks. He made far too many mental mistakes this year for me to want to bring him back.

zulater
01-04-2015, 04:21 PM
He sucked, but playing with Troy would bring the play of any safety opposite him down, such was the state of Troy's play this past season. Combine that with the injury and I'm open to see if he can come close to approximating his play in Carolina from 2013. .

st33lersguy
01-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Much easier to say you were injured all year after you sucked. This guy wasn't good in Oakland and only looked good in Carolina playing behind a ferocious pass rush