PDA

View Full Version : Game goats in playoff loss to Ravens.

zulater
01-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Chargers, for not beating the Chiefs and a back up qb.

LeGarrett Blount for being such an ass that we went into the playoffs without a viable rb.

Tomlin and LeBeau for misplaced loyalty and insisting on starting a washed up Troy Polalamu and ruining the chemistry that had formed with this defense in the past month.

Tomlin and Todd Haley for somehow failing to realize Dri Archer has no place on an NFL field.

The refs for not giving us a single call all night.

That's all. season's over. sucks so bad losing to this team! :frusty:

zulater
01-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Great coverage Troy. :sarcasm:

- - - Updated - - -

Went for the 2 too early. Now we're chasing that point. Thanks Tomlin!

stillers4me
01-03-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm going to leave thread this hoping for reverse psychology.

zulater
01-03-2015, 09:59 PM
On offense every play Archer is in = 10 on 11.

On defense every play Troy is in =-10 on 11.

- - - Updated - - -

Extra special goat for those stupid tee shirts they printed last week about ruling the north, or whatever the hell they said. Guarantee the Ravens will have fun with that.

salamander
01-03-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm just gonna go ahead and say whoever's idea it was that starting Troy was a good idea.

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2015, 10:00 PM
The OL for sucking all night.
Mike Mitchell for sucking as he always does.
The coaching staff for sticking Troy back in there when he can't play worth shit.
Todd Haley for his fucked up play calling.
The Refs for helping the Ravens all night with calls and not calling obvious penalties on the Ravens.

Steelman
01-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Early goat: Mike Mitchell. No words...

steelerdude15
01-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Everyone.

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 10:13 PM
3rd defense was awful too

zulater
01-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Mitchell sucks. But he sucks 10x worse when Troy plays. As does everyone else on the defense. Maybe if Allen plays the result is the same? We'll never know? But what we do know is that Troy has been awful all year. That the defense played markedly better when he was out. Coincidence? Maybe? But I wouldn't have even thought to find out in a playoff game.

Drazo85
01-03-2015, 10:16 PM
I will hold my answer on this thread for tommorow. Morning is alway smarter than evening.

JayC
not having bell. i feel like we would have won if we had bell

zulater
3rd defense was awful too

And what was different this week than the previous few weeks when the rd down defense was respectable?

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 10:18 PM
And what was different this week than the previous few weeks when the rd down defense was respectable?

Polamalu of course and Flacco is a much better QB than Dalton

This defense suck with or without Polamalu

86WARD
01-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Coaching.

The idea that they could run the game plan the same as they could as if Bell was in there was dumb. Harris is no good. He's a rookie. It showed. The fact that there was no back up RB on this team and the fact they had no "exit strategy" for Blount...dumb. There was no pass protection and you can't do that against the Ravens...especially with Terrelle Suggs on the other side of the ball.

ANd then there is Polamalu.

Tomlin is a dope.

Craic
01-03-2015, 10:20 PM

Honestly? A couple stupid penalties and a team that can run the ball.

Lambert_Loonie
01-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Everyone. Another division title and nothing to shoe for it.

I refuse to play the LeVeon Bell card. What, the Steelers have never beat Baltimore before without Bell?

zulater
01-03-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm done with football for the year. Hate every team with any chance in the playoffs. I would root for Denver, but been there done that. They suck, and have zero chance. Hate the Pats and Ravens equally. Hate the Seahawks as much as ISIS. To hell with it. Hope the piece of crap Panthers win it.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly? A couple stupid penalties and a team that can run the ball.

And a safety who can no longer play the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone. Another division title and nothing to shoe for it.

I refuse to play the LeVeon Bell card. What, the Steelers have never beat Baltimore before without Bell?

He was team MVP for a reason.

Count Steeler
01-03-2015, 10:27 PM
The coaches have to change their philosophy. We have to game plan to exploit other teams weaknesses and tendencies. Instead it seems like they have an arrogant, insane attitude that it all comes down to execution of the players. We are the Steelers and we will execute better than you and we will win. Meanwhile, other teams exploit our weaknesses and we struggle to stay competitive.

Craic
01-03-2015, 10:28 PM
And a safety who can no longer play the game.

I wouldn't say that. The problem with Troy is that we expect him to play like Troy. Instead, he plays like an average NFL safety, trying to do Troy P. like things. And, an average NFL safety simply can't do those things. I do hope this is his last game, and I wish him well.

JayC
01-03-2015, 10:29 PM
yep, i'm done with football too until the draft. i'll probably watch the bungholes get destroyed tomorrow though just to make me feel a little better

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 10:29 PM
We can stop the myth that the ravens would be terrible because of the big contract of Flacco

More complete team than the steelers

fansince'76
01-03-2015, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't say that. The problem with Troy is that we expect him to play like Troy. Instead, he plays like an average NFL safety, trying to do Troy P. like things. And, an average NFL safety simply can't do those things. I do hope this is his last game, and I wish him well.

And the problem with that is it leaves an already mediocre defense even more vulnerable.

Count Steeler
01-03-2015, 10:30 PM

This is where the coaches have to step in and remove his rover mentality and tell him to play his position. If he can't do THAT anymore, then he needs to sit. No don't play like Troy, but play better than Will.

tube517
01-03-2015, 10:31 PM
yep, i'm done with football too until the draft. i'll probably watch the bungholes get destroyed tomorrow though just to make me feel a little better

I'd rather see the cryboys lose but that won't happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Craic
01-03-2015, 10:31 PM
And the problem with that is it leaves an already mediocre defense even more vulnerable.

Yep. It's time to move on and set the new defense. I do hope, however, that Harrison returns. I think we need him another year or two to train up these young guys.

steelreserve
01-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Both safeties for sucking a dirty ass all game.

Archer for being on the field at all.

The defense in general for being unable to stop a damn thing all day.

Honorable mention to Heath for a number of uncharacteristic mistakes.

I'd like to say we should've won this game, but it was really just the problems we've known about all year finally catching up with us. Sorry.

Godfather
01-03-2015, 10:33 PM
I'm in the minority here, but I thought Troy played well tonight. Didn't make any game-changing plays but made a lot of stops. (Of course, several of those were plays where he was back in the normal safety position and you don't want him to be the one to make the tackle.)

My game goats are Ben and the O-line. And Mike Mitchell. He sucks out loud and shouldn't be wearing black and gold next season unless we trade him to New Orleans.

86WARD
I can't blame Archer. He is what he is...I blame the coaches for not seeing that...

zulater
We can stop the myth that the ravens would be terrible because of the big contract of Flacco

More complete team than the steelers

They backed into the playoffs. They played a team without their best weapon.
And they played a defense that was essentially a man short all night because of misplaced loyalty, arrogance, and ignorance to what was all so obvious to the rest of the world. Troy can't play! Didn't make a worthwhile play all night! Drags everyone down with him! Not his fault! Stupid ass coaches fault for not seeing it!

ALLD
01-03-2015, 10:34 PM
The draft was telling. It looks like we drafted the tallest player and over drafted the shortest guy available.The loss of Blount was ominous. Letting it get out of control to begin with is indicative of poor leadership. The offense was up and down all season. Some adjustments were made and the defense was beginning to gel, but I think Tomlin was beginning to believe in magic and disrupted the healthy squad when it was saving games. Same thing happened in the 4th quarter when Ben threw a duck in EZ for an easy pick.

Find out what works and when something works, don't fix it. Some people will surprise you when they have an opportunity regardless of their pedigree within reason.

The D gave up when the O could not do anything midway through the 3rd quarter.

They didn't embarrass themselves, but they could have easily won the game if they came to play. If it's any consolation I do not believe Bell would have played effectively in the playoffs at all.

fansince'76
I can't blame Archer. He is what he is...I blame the coaches for not seeing that...

I wouldn't even mind so much if we picked him up as a UDFA. But we burned a 3rd round pick on the guy. HUGE whiff by the FO on that one.

zulater
I'm in the minority here, but I thought Troy played well tonight. Didn't make any game-changing plays but made a lot of stops. (Of course, several of those were plays where he was back in the normal safety position and you don't want him to be the one to make the tackle.)

My game goats are Ben and the O-line. And Mike Mitchell. He sucks out loud and shouldn't be wearing black and gold next season unless we trade him to New Orleans.

Yeah those tackles 10 yards past the sticks were impressive.

dislocatedday
Haley and Tomlin are my top goats.

For actual players, Mike Mitchell and the Oline as a whole were goats.

I hope Mitchell has played his last down for this team......no way in hell he should get that $3M roster bonus in March.

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 10:35 PM
They backed into the playoffs. They played a team without their best weapon.
And they played a defense that was essentially a man short all night because of misplaced loyalty, arrogance, and ignorance to what was all so obvious to the rest of the world. Troy can't play! Didn't make a worthwhile play all night! Drags everyone down with him! Not his fault! Stupid ass coaches fault for not seeing it!

Yes, but they won 10 games with a differential of + 100

They have far more complete team than the steelers

Psycho Ward 86
1) Tomlin and Lebeau for starting Troy

2) Ben Tate for having the yips and fumbling right away and then tipping a catchable ball straight up into the air

3) Some of the most reliable players being unreliable as fuck today aka Ben throwing the dumbest pick of all time and Heath fumbling for no reason

4) Mike Mitchell just being Mike Mitchell

5) Brice McCain dropping a gift wrapped interception

6) Tomlin going for a 2 point conversion in a situation where it is a completely unecessary risk. Reminds of his 1st playoff game against the jaguars when he went for 2....twice. (If he just kicked the extra point back then we would have been tied in regulation)

fansince'76
Yeah those tackles 10 yards past the sticks were impressive.

Not to mention the acrobatic flips over the pile 20+ yards downfield. Hate to say it, but Troy is done.

zulater
01-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Yes, but they won 10 games with a differential of + 100

They have far more complete team than the steelers

Good for them! Woo hoo!

Fuck them!!!!

Count Steeler
01-03-2015, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't even mind so much if we picked him up as a UDFA. But we burned a 3rd round pick on the guy. HUGE whiff by the FO on that one.

Not like we had other glaring needs, eh?

The Bark
01-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Coaching.

The idea that they could run the game plan the same as they could as if Bell was in there was dumb. Harris is no good. He's a rookie. It showed. The fact that there was no back up RB on this team and the fact they had no "exit strategy" for Blount...dumb. There was no pass protection and you can't do that against the Ravens...especially with Terrelle Suggs on the other side of the ball.

ANd then there is Polamalu.

Tomlin is a dope.

All of this.

You don't sign Blount in the first place without knowing what comes with the territory. I wasn't a fan of Bell getting that many touches when Blount was healthy - even less a fan after Blount was gone. I'm not saying Tomlin needed to think ahead and prepare for the playoffs, but they became way too dependent on him and him alone and it showed big-time today. That's Tomlin's and the coaching staff's pill to swallow and theirs alone (as well as throwing Troy out there).

I'm just glad I wasn't expecting much, but I have to say they were flat out-coached and hardly looked like a team that was in a playoff game out there. Harrison looked like he was the only one who brought their lunchpail the entire first half.

fansince'76
01-03-2015, 10:46 PM
I think it's kind of unrealistic to expect ANY backup RB to replicate Bell's production. And that shot he took to the knee could have happened on the first play of the season - it had NOTHING to do with his workload or Tomlin "running his wheels off" and everything to do with these bullshit "safety rules" that have effectively forced defenders into the habit of always going low and winding up taking guys out at the damn knees. /rant

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2015, 10:54 PM
I think it's kind of unrealistic to expect ANY backup RB to replicate Bell's production. And that shot he took to the knee could have happened on the first play of the season - it had NOTHING to do with his workload and everything to do with these bullshit "safety rules" that have effectively forced defenders into the habit of always going low and winding up taking guys out at the damn knees. /rant

i disagree. although not completely. but when a player has to take 373 touches for his team, his risk of injury rises significantly. and thats what happens when your star RB doesnt have a competent back up. i would be totally cool with the steelers drafting an RB as high as the 3rd round, maybe just maybe even the 2nd, to help shoulder the load with bell if the steelers are unable to get anyone worth a damn in free agency

fansince'76
01-03-2015, 10:56 PM
i disagree. although not completely. but when a player has to take 373 touches for his team, his risk of injury rises significantly. and thats what happens when your star RB doesnt have a competent back up. i would be totally cool with the steelers drafting an RB as high as the 3rd round, maybe just maybe even the 2nd, to help shoulder the load with bell if the steelers are unable to get anyone worth a damn in free agency

Sorry, I disagree, because, again, it could have just as well happened on the first play of opening day. You don't keep a thoroughbred in the stable because he "might" get hurt. That's a risk every player in the league takes on every snap and one that they accept.

Edman
01-03-2015, 11:00 PM
1) Mike Tomlin and Dick Lebeau for starting Troy Polamalu. The game was pretty much shot right there. Way to disrupt the defensive chemistry, idiots.

This. THIS right here. LOST the game. Forget Ben, forget the O-Line. THIS boneheaded decision LOST this game.

They had the balls to sit Ike and Cortez Allen, two VERY ineffective players. Nope, not with Troy. If it weren't obvious enough already, the guy is done. D-O-N-E.

Craic
01-03-2015, 11:12 PM
I think it's kind of unrealistic to expect ANY backup RB to replicate Bell's production. And that shot he took to the knee could have happened on the first play of the season - it had NOTHING to do with his workload or Tomlin "running his wheels off" and everything to do with these bullshit "safety rules" that have effectively forced defenders into the habit of always going low and winding up taking guys out at the damn knees. /rant

It's pretty hard to discount his workload, because someone who is on the field 20 times has twice the chance to get injured than someone on the field 10 times. With that said, however, you're absolutely right. What we saw with that hit was a direct response to the rules as they are now written. My fear is that the tackling zone will continue to decrease. I'm all for calling penalties on direct head-to-head hits like the one on our FS this game (stupid play on his part), but way the rules state a ref is to call a penalty if there's any doubt is ludicrous.

I will still blame the players for being stupid and not changing their game to follow the rules, and that's been my beef all year on this board. But there's no doubting you're also right in that what we see here is a direct result of the league's demands to stay away from head shots.

Count Steeler
01-03-2015, 11:14 PM
If Mitchell doesn't change his tackling technique, turf him.

Butch
01-04-2015, 12:11 AM
1. Worlids dumbass penalty was a real bone head play of the game
2. Offense was putrid and could not help the Defense put the game away early
3. Dri Archer Complete head scratcher and a waste of a draft pick amongst other things
4. I dare haley and the offense to go one game without throwing a single damn screen (it's old and tired and ineffective)
5. Ben played average at best and should have looked at Brown more than he did
6. Heath very uncharacteristic
7. Any coach who doesn't think game planning is valuable should re-think being a coach. You have fight to give your team every advantage within the rules.

I think the D did a good job early and a few other times but the offense sputtered and was pathetic most of the game. I think the offense should shoulder more of the blame for this one than the defense.

Yes the officiating was one sided but you have to overcome that...good teams do. I won't resort to seachicken mentality.

fwiw I agree that you don't keep a Steed locked up in the barn, but you also don't have him plow the field and tote the groceries to the market if you want him to race on game day. A little more help would have at least had us in position if/when Bell goes down. I also don't blame Tate for anything as he was brand new to the team and I am not sure he could do much in that little bit of time. Should have looked at him much sooner and that is the fault of the front office and coaches.

steelreserve
01-04-2015, 05:02 AM

It's a shame that after 8 months, they still couldn't figure out what some of us saw within 5 minutes of the pick ...

yay, we got Tim Rainey.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/19829-And-the-2014-NFL-draft-is-here!?p=432632&viewfull=1#post432632

My guess is he'll be like all the other guys of this sort that we've had ... neither a RB nor a WR. Mostly the guy who goes out there and gets about 20 carries a year at 1.6 per, and can't get open from NFL defenders. Not liking this pick very much.

I wonder if Colbert just took off for the night and told the fan who won the "announce-the-pick" contest to go ahead and pick whoever he wanted. And also fed him a half-ounce of mushrooms beforehand.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/19829-And-the-2014-NFL-draft-is-here!?p=432648&viewfull=1#post432648

That's the kind of thing that should not only get you fired, but beaten up.

crcsnail
01-04-2015, 05:42 AM
1. I thought ben looked like he was trying to hard . Simple throws were off etc .
2. Like all of u ,Father Time has caught up with troy. Still love him to bits mind. (Man crush Lol)
3. I thought we got away from Tate to soon. I know he fumbled but he was making yards.
4. I would like to have seen josh Harris given more carries as well.just to try to keep Ravens a bit more honest.
5. Dri archer , summed up in game thread with comment, looks like a rag doll!
6. Coaching, nuff said .
7. Defence wins championships . The Ravens was better than ours last nite. But I am liking some of our younger players.

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 11:54 AM
So Troy and the gameplan lost the game? But there is no mention in almost 50 posts of the lack of a pass-rush on Flacco? The Ravens were fielding a patch-work o-line and the Steelers got only a handful of sacks or hits on Flacco. Plus his two best plays were where the Steelers' pass rush let him escape the pocket and roll out. It is well documented, back to his college days at Delaware, that if you pressure and hit Flacco, he collapses. That didn't happen and he exploited the glaring weaknesses this defense has had all season in pass coverage.

On the other side of the ball, the Steelers QB got clobbered all day. I don't think it is any more complicated than that. The Baltimore Ravens simply outplayed the Pittsburgh Steelers last night. Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumerville on the outside and Ngata and Williams on the inside more than made up for the crap back 4 they have. Harrison and Heyward were not enough to do the same for Pittsburgh. The end.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
kind of tired of hearing a rookie 3rd round pick from a small school is a wasted pick , I mean really think about this for just a moment ...

he comes from a school and division of college ball that takes time to adjust to the NFL 99% of the time ( John Brown excluded but then again they play him to his strength )

Archers true talent is speed , nobody should expect him to prevail when given the ball 4 feet away from guys who literally are 2.5 times his size in a phone booth sized space and 80% of his touches where that exact situation of the remaining 20% of his touches they where also in close quarters , ala bubble screens with the CB playing up close to the LOS ...

Last night we seen the 1 and only time all season they got him the ball in space ( something I have been preaching all year , play to his strength and allow him to get moving ) he promptly turned it up field and hit the jets and went in for the TD Problem is Beachum got called for a hold and the play came back like it never happened ...

The kid can play football but he is not your run of the mill football player , he has the speed and skill set to change the complexion of games BUT you have to get him involved in the proper manner , you MUST get him the ball in space , he has to have a chance to get his legs moving before contact and he has to have some space to do that ....

He may never catch on here if they do not change the way they try to use him , but if they do change the manner in how they use him he could be a game changer ( here or elsewhere )

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 01:26 PM
kind of tired of hearing a rookie 3rd round pick from a small school is a wasted pick , I mean really think about this for just a moment ...

he comes from a school and division of college ball that takes time to adjust to the NFL 99% of the time ( John Brown excluded but then again they play him to his strength )

Archers true talent is speed , nobody should expect him to prevail when given the ball 4 feet away from guys who literally are 2.5 times his size in a phone booth sized space and 80% of his touches where that exact situation of the remaining 20% of his touches they where also in close quarters , ala bubble screens with the CB playing up close to the LOS ...

Last night we seen the 1 and only time all season they got him the ball in space ( something I have been preaching all year , play to his strength and allow him to get moving ) he promptly turned it up field and hit the jets and went in for the TD Problem is Beachum got called for a hold and the play came back like it never happened ...

The kid can play football but he is not your run of the mill football player , he has the speed and skill set to change the complexion of games BUT you have to get him involved in the proper manner , you MUST get him the ball in space , he has to have a chance to get his legs moving before contact and he has to have some space to do that ....

He may never catch on here if they do not change the way they try to use him , but if they do change the manner in how they use him he could be a game changer ( here or elsewhere )

Great post. Another point to add, and this was said by at least one other poster here on another thread. Wheaton has done no better on returns, so maybe Archer was not the only one at fault in that entire unit.

Another off-season to get Archer more acclimated to the NFL and the staff to get a better read on his usage and he could be a real weapon.

Again, I don't mean to hijack things, but the fact that Jarvis Jones sucks at rushing the QB is way more of a problematic "wasted" pick than Dri Archer will ever be.

The Bark
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Re: Bell's workload, my comments are strictly with regards to managing the depth chart. There was plenty of opportunity to work others into the mix after Blount was gone to see what they were capable of doing/giving them meaningful game time reps. I don't need to argue my point that it bit them in the ass; the proof is in the pudding. Signing Tate wasn't an act of "insurance," it was desperation and showed the coaching staff lacked confidence in their own decision-making.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Re: Bell's workload, my comments are strictly with regards to managing the depth chart. There was plenty of opportunity to work others into the mix after Blount was gone to see what they were capable of doing/giving them meaningful game time reps. I don't need to argue my point that it bit them in the ass; the proof is in the pudding. Signing Tate wasn't an act of "insurance," it was desperation and showed the coaching staff lacked confidence in their own decision-making.

sad .................

but True

NCSteeler
01-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Offensively the play calling was timid. Defensively Troy should have been on the bench. Oh and there is not one defensive starter name that comes up in the oppositions game plan meetings, it's really that simple. Where's are dumervil, our Suggs, our ngata. Not one person that teams have to account for. Sad sad drafting development whatever it happens to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
01-04-2015, 01:41 PM

Totally agree, they did nothing to address a real problem, plenty of chances to get Harris some game action.

The Bark
01-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Totally agree, they did nothing to address a real problem, plenty of chances to get Harris some game action.

And it's not like I'd expect Tomlin to come out and admit they made some questionable decisions. Signing someone off the practice squad and refusing to find an established, available RB says you have confidence in what you've got in two unproven rookies if Bell were to get hurt. I'm sure he even came out and said they had confidence in Archer and Harris - I know the players did. Bell gets hurt and not only do they go out and find an available veteran, they start him with only a few days worth of practice. That's a classic case of actions speaking louder than words.

NCSteeler
01-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Just more evidence of pretty poor coaching decisions. I know we have been under pressure to win out, but after dropping Blount, Harris should have been getting solid reps.

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 02:27 PM
During the broadcast, it was specifically mentioned that the Ravens schemed to take away Heyward. I know it isn't much, but it is something.

As to the RBs; a few random thoughts.
1. Blount was a cancer and needed gone.
2. When you have a stud like Bell, you don't put the back-ups on the field. See Minnesota, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia (until recently), Baltimore (w/ Rice) and San Fran.
3. Signing Tate was the best move in a bad situation.
4. Starting Tate was not desperation, it was a calculated move to show the Ravens that they couldn't use the RB on the field as key to the play-call.

Not hitting Bryant and Brown on slants behind the blitzing LB'ers -- that is the kind of coaching decision that needs taken to task, not something about Tate or Harris.

NCSteeler
01-04-2015, 02:30 PM
During the broadcast, it was specifically mentioned that the Ravens schemed to take away Heyward. I know it isn't much, but it is something.

2. When you have a stud like Bell, you don't put the back-ups on the field. See Minnesota, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia (until recently), Baltimore (w/ Rice) and San Fran.
4. Starting Tate was not desperation, it was a calculated move to show the Ravens that they couldn't use the RB on the field as key to the play-call.

Not hitting Bryant and Brown on slants behind the blitzing LB'ers -- that is the kind of coaching decision that needs taken to task, not something about Tate or Harris.

True, it's not like they didn't know we would need quick slants to beat the rush. After all the talk this team looked just like the one that got beat by the jets.

zulater
01-04-2015, 03:50 PM
So Troy and the gameplan lost the game? But there is no mention in almost 50 posts of the lack of a pass-rush on Flacco? The Ravens were fielding a patch-work o-line and the Steelers got only a handful of sacks or hits on Flacco. Plus his two best plays were where the Steelers' pass rush let him escape the pocket and roll out. It is well documented, back to his college days at Delaware, that if you pressure and hit Flacco, he collapses. That didn't happen and he exploited the glaring weaknesses this defense has had all season in pass coverage.

On the other side of the ball, the Steelers QB got clobbered all day. I don't think it is any more complicated than that. The Baltimore Ravens simply outplayed the Pittsburgh Steelers last night. Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumerville on the outside and Ngata and Williams on the inside more than made up for the crap back 4 they have. Harrison and Heyward were not enough to do the same for Pittsburgh. The end.

Just because there was only one sack doesn't mean there was no pass rush. Guys were coming wide open in under 2.5 seconds with regularity. Funny how a team that was able to hold our last two opponents to under 20 points gives up 30 to a struggling Raven team? If you don't think Troy changed the dynamics of our pass defense you just aren't paying attention.

Devilsdancefloor
01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
critical games the coaches get out coached

how the refs only seen steeler penalties after harrison got raped all night

the doctors for letting ben back in

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Just because there was only one sack doesn't mean there was no pass rush. Guys were coming wide open in under 2.5 seconds with regularity. Funny how a team that was able to hold our last two opponents to under 20 points gives up 30 to a struggling Raven team? If you don't think Troy changed the dynamics of our pass defense you just aren't paying attention.

If Troy was responsible for the back, the TE, and whatever the hell position Crockett Gilmore plays, then he was a significant part of the pass defense problem. If others (timmons, shazier, etc) had those responsibilities, than that is where the pass D got beat.

I was paying attention and I can think of only about 4-5 times that the pass rush altered Flacco's decision making. All those times he did something stupid with the ball. When the rush failed to get home, he did something good with the ball.

You can blame the coaching staff for putting Troy in a position to fail, or you can blame Troy for not executing - because that fits the narrative that Tomlin et al can't coach their way out of a paper bag.

The harsh reality is that this team has zero play-makers in the back 4, and no outside pass rush. The Steelers pass rush was not enough to make the Ravens alter their gameplan. The Ravens pass rush was more than enough to leave elements of the Steelers game plan in tatters. Or perhaps Haley rarely dialed up a deep ball because he huffs paint on the sideline. What do I know.

zulater
01-04-2015, 04:41 PM
critical games the coaches get out coached

how the refs only seen steeler penalties after harrison got raped all night

the doctors for letting ben back in

On your second point. The call on Beachum that negated Dri's touchdown, a legit call no doubt. But what pisses you off is that Harrison got held as bad or worse at least a half dozen times, several on critical plays and no damn flag!

Another example of the uneven calls. Antonio gets a face mask call on a stiff arm. A call that's rarely made against an offensive player. But ok, call it if you want. But about 4 minutes later Antonio is tackled by the face mask. No call. Would have given us a first and goal with about 7 minutes to go if I remember right. :frusty: Really bad reffing!

zulater
01-04-2015, 04:51 PM
If Troy was responsible for the back, the TE, and whatever the hell position Crockett Gilmore plays, then he was a significant part of the pass defense problem. If others (timmons, shazier, etc) had those responsibilities, than that is where the pass D got beat.

I was paying attention and I can think of only about 4-5 times that the pass rush altered Flacco's decision making. All those times he did something stupid with the ball. When the rush failed to get home, he did something good with the ball.

You can blame the coaching staff for putting Troy in a position to fail, or you can blame Troy for not executing - because that fits the narrative that Tomlin et al can't coach their way out of a paper bag.

The harsh reality is that this team has zero play-makers in the back 4, and no outside pass rush. The Steelers pass rush was not enough to make the Ravens alter their gameplan. The Ravens pass rush was more than enough to leave elements of the Steelers game plan in tatters. Or perhaps Haley rarely dialed up a deep ball because he huffs paint on the sideline. What do I know.

Mark Kaboly said last week that Tomlin kept Troy out last week when Troy thought he was healthy. Troy apparently bitched about it all week. Not sure if Tomlin was wore down by Troy, or maybe LeBeau got involved, but in the end I think Tomlin played Troy against his better judgement.

Now I'm not saying every missed assignment or decisive play given up was direct result of Troy's play. But what I will suggest is that his presence had an overall adverse effect on the defense. That without him there was a cohesiveness among the defense that isn't in evidence when he's in there. That his free lancing and unnacountability is no longer made up for by his ability to disrupt plays. In other words it's not just that he can no longer make the plays, he drags others play down with him, becausehe still tries to play the same way.

dislocatedday
01-04-2015, 04:56 PM

I kept telling my wife and brother during the game that the Steelers needed to run some slants for the WRs. I don"the know why the team is so averse to making those kind of adjustments. I can only attribute it to Haley being stubborn.

zulater
01-04-2015, 05:05 PM
The slant thing was an excellent point by Mouj!That was there to be had all day. Had we exploited that early and often then we would have forced them to adjust and then we could have had the downfield plays later.

Both coordinaters came up small yesterday. I blame them far more than Tomlin.

Remember When.........
01-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Coach Tomlin........As always losing the big games when chips are on the line. Only Super Bowl win wasn't really his team but rather team he inherited.....Since he became coach all I hear is, " I'll take full responsibility for this loss."

Sure would like to know what he's saying because so far, same old, same old............

stillers4me
01-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Coach Tomlin........As always losing the big games when chips are on the line. Only Super Bowl win wasn't really his team but rather team he inherited.....Since he became coach all I hear is, " I'll take full responsibility for this loss."

Sure would like to know what he's saying because so far, same old, same old............

Do you mean Cowher's 8-8 team that missed the playoffs? That's the one you're referring to, right??

The 8-8 team he coached up to 10-6 and then 12-4.

I just wanted to make sure we were actually talking about the same team.

smokin3000gt
01-04-2015, 06:09 PM

:rolleyes:

zulater
01-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Do you mean Cowher's 8-8 team that missed the playoffs? That's the one you're referring to, right??

The 8-8 team he coached up to 10-6 and then 12-4.

I just wanted to make sure we were actually talking about the same team.

I don''t agree with his premise but Cowher's last season isn't a fair representation of what he or that particular team were about. Ben's motorcycle accident and late summer appendectomy wreaked havoc with that seasons start. Then just when Ben started to get untracked, boom he gets concussed and that screws up a couple games.
Throw in that Cowher's wife's health started it's decline that year (which is why he ultimately left the game) and it's hard to think they even got to .500.

The fact is the talent was still there. That was just a snake crossed season for reasons already expressed.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2015, 06:14 PM
I don''t agree with his premise but Cowher's last season isn't a fair representation of what he or that particular team were about. Ben's motorcycle accident and late summer appendectomy wreaked havoc with that seasons start. Then just when Ben started to get untracked, boom he gets concussed and that screws up a couple games.
Throw in that Cowher's wife's health started it's decline that year (which is why he ultimately left the game) and it's hard to think they even got to .500.

The fact is the talent was still there. That was just a snake crossed season for reasons already expressed.

this is ohh so true ... couple that with their daughters away at college and she was basically fighting her lifes battle ALONE that had to be weighing very heavily on B.C

stillers4me
01-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Bill Cowher's last year coaching the Steelers was 2006. Kay Cowher was diagnosed with skin cancer in February of 2010 and she passed in August of that same year.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/04/former_steelers_coach_bill_cow_1.html

fansince'76
01-04-2015, 06:21 PM

Like losing 4 AFCCGs at home?

zulater
01-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Bill Cowher's last year coaching the Steelers was 2006. Kay Cowher was diagnosed with skin cancer in February of 2010 and she passed in August of that same year.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/04/former_steelers_coach_bill_cow_1.html

Regardless. Every other point made was valid. Plus for whatever reason Cowher's attention wasn't fully there that season. The fact is Tomlin inherited a Super Bowl ready team. To claim otherwise is ludicrous.

That's not to discredit Tomlin. Because he still did as solid job with what he was given. But to suggest he inherited a declining lucky to be .500 team is complete rubbish.

stillers4me
01-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Regardless. Every other point made was valid. Plus for whatever reason Cowher's attention wasn't fully there that season. The fact is Tomlin inherited a Super Bowl ready team. To claim otherwise is ludicrous.

That's not to discredit Tomlin. Because he still did as solid job with what he was given. But to suggest he inherited a declining lucky to be .500 team is complete rubbish.

That's not what I said nor was it the point.

Remember When.........
01-04-2015, 06:25 PM
My error......

Please explain how Tomlin won his only super bowl after becoming coach but yet can't get it done since?

Honestly, don't see Steelers ever winning another one as long as he's coach....

Tomlin has plenty of talk.......But, as they say, talk is cheap and action speaks louder than his words !!

fansince'76
01-04-2015, 06:27 PM
My error......

Please explain how Tomlin won his only super bowl after becoming coach but yet can't get it done since?

Tomlin has plenty of talk.......But, as they say, talk is cheap and action speaks louder than his words !!

I dunno, why did it take Cowher 14 years to win one? And for all the fellating Belichick gets, he hasn't won one in a decade either. Super Bowls are kinda hard to win.

Count Steeler
01-04-2015, 06:27 PM
My error......

He did go back again in 2010. 2 SB visits is not too shabby. Show me another team, besides the Buffalo Bills in 1 stretch, that get to the SB every year.

BTW, how often did Cowher get to the SB?

zulater
01-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Like losing 4 AFCCGs at home?

To get to 4 AFC title games with Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart were accomplishments in their own right.

You don't need to tear down Cowher legacy to prop up Tomlin. Neither are perfect, but both are near the top of their craft in their respective time. Even if they drove us crazy from time to time. (but that's more on us :lol:) It's resorting to the troll's level of posting when we do this imo. . Tomlin's record stands on it's own merits.

I thought overall he did a really good job this year. One of the best of his career and one of the top 5 coaching jobs of the season.

Remember When.........
01-04-2015, 06:43 PM
All,,,,,,,,,,

I'll agree......Looking at whole picture should be happy with what results we've achieved........

Hope team can make necessary changes to get over the hump.....

Shouldn't be disappointed with this year.......When they looked good they we're very good......When they looked bad they were very bad......

Just couldn't be consistent from week to week.

Loses to worst teams in the league in season hurt team for post season.......

Count Steeler
01-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Haley and LeBeau and Tomlin have to start game planning to exploit weaknesses.

To play the Jets and Ravens with the same O game plan and not exploit weak secondary weaknesses is maddening.

86WARD
01-04-2015, 08:34 PM

Randle and Dunbar got plenty of carries in Dallas...spelling Murray...

Mojouw
01-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Randle and Dunbar got plenty of carries in Dallas...spelling Murray...

That is completely false. Other than the last 2 weeks of the season when Murray was hurt, Randle barely touched the ball (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RandJo01.htm) and Dunbar did not either (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DunbLa00.htm).

There is plenty of room for criticism and improvement in the Steelers roster, coaching, on-field play, etc. We don't have to invent things to complain about.

86WARD
01-05-2015, 05:37 AM
But it's not. What that shows is that Murray was at he very least spelled at times, taken out for a series here and there. Maybe "plenty" wasn't the right word...to me, "plenty" of times for a back up RB is a handful of carries. Point being, Murray was rested in a series or group of plays here and there. Bell was not...ever after Blount left.

Mojouw
01-05-2015, 09:30 AM
But it's not. What that shows is that Murray was at he very least spelled at times, taken out for a series here and there. Maybe "plenty" wasn't the right word...to me, "plenty" of times for a back up RB is a handful of carries. Point being, Murray was rested in a series or group of plays here and there. Bell was not...ever after Blount left.

Blount left in week 11 and prior to that he was being rotated on par with the back-ups to Murray (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlouLe00.htm). The Steelers had a bye in Week 12. In Weeks 13-17, Bell touched the ball (rushing and receiving) less than 30 times per game, except Week 14 against Cincy, when he had 32 touches (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BellLe00.htm). Harris had typical (if we stick to the Dallas backfield usage rates) back-up touches in Weeks 14 and 17 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJo04.htm). So that leaves Weeks 13, 15, and 16. All 3 of which were close fought games that had the Steelers passing the ball alot. Thus Bell was on the field for all the snaps. Unless they snuck ARcher out there a few times. I didn't check.

Point is, Bell's back-ups were used along the same lines as other back-ups to 3 down backs. Here is the usage for Matt Forte's primary back-up (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CareKa00.htm). A rookie, so similar to Harris. Carey was hardly used.

Whatever problems this staff had this year, the usage rate on Bell and the back-up RBs was not one of them. Bell's injury simply came at about the worst time ever. It does point to the fact that they played with fire at that position group and got burned. Hopefully between Tate, Harris, and another off-season pick-up a solid back-up can be found.

Mojouw
01-05-2015, 11:51 AM
From Grantland's review of the game http://grantland.com/the-triangle/wild-card-nfl-playoffs-lions-cowboys-panthers-cardinals-ravens-steelers/:

"In a game in which each team averaged 5.4 yards per play and couldn’t run the football at all, the Ravens won the latest Baltimore-Pittsburgh playoff game on the back of their pass rush. Elvis Dumervil and Terrell Suggs didn’t single-handedly win this game for the Ravens, but the post-peak combo were the biggest force propelling Baltimore in that direction. While the Steelers sacked Joe Flacco only once and knocked him down four times on 32 dropbacks, the Ravens went to town on Ben Roethlisberger with a force led by their star duo."

So my goats are whoever failed to find a way to stop Dumerville and Suggs and whoever failed to find a way to get to Flacco. Is that player execution, scheme, or a combination of both? I will leave that for others to study and decide. I personally think it is a lack of talent on the Steelers end.

86WARD
01-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Blount left in week 11 and prior to that he was being rotated on par with the back-ups to Murray (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlouLe00.htm). The Steelers had a bye in Week 12. In Weeks 13-17, Bell touched the ball (rushing and receiving) less than 30 times per game, except Week 14 against Cincy, when he had 32 touches (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BellLe00.htm). Harris had typical (if we stick to the Dallas backfield usage rates) back-up touches in Weeks 14 and 17 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJo04.htm). So that leaves Weeks 13, 15, and 16. All 3 of which were close fought games that had the Steelers passing the ball alot. Thus Bell was on the field for all the snaps. Unless they snuck ARcher out there a few times. I didn't check.

Point is, Bell's back-ups were used along the same lines as other back-ups to 3 down backs. Here is the usage for Matt Forte's primary back-up (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CareKa00.htm). A rookie, so similar to Harris. Carey was hardly used.

Whatever problems this staff had this year, the usage rate on Bell and the back-up RBs was not one of them. Bell's injury simply came at about the worst time ever. It does point to the fact that they played with fire at that position group and got burned. Hopefully between Tate, Harris, and another off-season pick-up a solid back-up can be found.

That's my point though...they need a solid back up. Towards the end of the season...13-16, they were running Bell and only Bell. I'm not one to say that because they were running him he got hurt when he got hurt. Like someone said, that could've happened on the first play of the season. That could've happened with Bell, Bettis and Franco Harris on the roster...all at their career peaks...lol. I'm more worried about the overall wear and tear on Bell over a period of time. Look, injuries are going to happen when you carry the ball like Bell does. It would be nice to give him a series off here and there like Murray, McCoy, Gore, etc...maybe extend the career a season or two.

zulater
01-05-2015, 12:54 PM
From Grantland's review of the game http://grantland.com/the-triangle/wild-card-nfl-playoffs-lions-cowboys-panthers-cardinals-ravens-steelers/:

"In a game in which each team averaged 5.4 yards per play and couldn’t run the football at all, the Ravens won the latest Baltimore-Pittsburgh playoff game on the back of their pass rush. Elvis Dumervil and Terrell Suggs didn’t single-handedly win this game for the Ravens, but the post-peak combo were the biggest force propelling Baltimore in that direction. While the Steelers sacked Joe Flacco only once and knocked him down four times on 32 dropbacks, the Ravens went to town on Ben Roethlisberger with a force led by their star duo."

So my goats are whoever failed to find a way to stop Dumerville and Suggs and whoever failed to find a way to get to Flacco. Is that player execution, scheme, or a combination of both? I will leave that for others to study and decide. I personally think it is a lack of talent on the Steelers end.

Offensively I think it was a lack of Bell. Those linebackers have a lot more to think about if he's back there on many of those sacks. One he can pick up a blitz. And two he can sneak out of the backfield and get in space. Suggs and Dumerville aren't taking down LeVeon one on one in space. Yeah I know injuries are part of the game. And I know they had guys out. But LeVeon is a little different. Losing him is like losing 3 guys. He makes others on the field significantly better or worse depending on what jersey they're wearing.

Defensively again I get back to Troy. He drags down the overall team play on passing downs. Tight ends come wide open in under 2 seconds on 3rd and long plays.