PDA

View Full Version : In best statistical season, Steelers' Roethlisberger could cement his legacy

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Ben Roethlisberger will talk about winning — it's his favorite subject.

In fact, winning is the only thing that truly interests Roethlisberger.

Tied for the NFL lead in passing yards? Not interested in discussing that.

Throwing for an NFL-record 12 touchdowns in a two-game span? Not interested.

Throwing for 522 yards against the Indianapolis Colts? Not interested.

Having a chance to cement his legacy with a third Super Bowl title during a playoff run that starts Saturday against the Baltimore Ravens? Maybe a little.

“That resonates with him because the ultimate goal for him every year is to win the Super Bowl,” quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner said. “The only thing he thinks about is the Big One, playing in the Big One and winning the Big One. He's never mentioned statistics or legacy to me ever.”

Roethlisberger never will.

Since the day the Steelers drafted him with the 11th overall pick in 2004, it's always been about winning, not legacy.

“If that drives him in the lonely and quiet times, then great,” Fichtner said. “He never has brought it to anybody's attention. The years I have been around him, it has always been about wins.”

Wins and team first. Never statistics.

Some of that could have been because Roethlisberger never put up the gaudy stats like others. But even in the midst of his best statistical season, it's still team over legacy.

“I want to do everything for the fans, the team, the Rooneys,” Roethlisberger said, the 14th-highest-paid quarterback this season. “It is more about that than any personal legacy.”

But there is no denying what another title would do for Roethlisberger's status.

His statistics this season — tied for the league lead with 4,952 yards passing and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 32-9 while steering the NFL's second-best offense — have solidified him among the elite. A third Super Bowl title would place him in the same conversation as Tom Brady and Troy Aikman.

“It would put him in that discussion,” former teammate Jerome Bettis said. “He would've earned that spot.”

Roethlisberger has 106 regular-season wins and 10 more in the playoffs. He has two Super Bowl victories, three appearances, three Pro Bowls, 25 fourth-quarter comebacks and 35 game-winning drives — all of which validate him as one of the best.

“I don't think he needs to win this,” said Charlie Batch, who played nine seasons with Roethlisberger. “If he wins another, it validates everything I have already known by sitting in the room with him for all those years.”

Thinking this could be Roethlisberger's last chance to solidify a legacy might seem misguided, but history would disagree.

Ten quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl after age 32, but most of those came decades ago. Only one quarterback older than 32 (Brad Johnson in 2002 with Tampa Bay) has won a Super Bowl since the turn of the century. Roethlisberger turned 32 in March.

“He won his first 16 starts, and that was uncommon,” Batch said. “When you are a rookie quarterback, you lost. He changed that mindset. When you watch Ben, you watch him break down those barriers.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7461332-74/roethlisberger-season-legacy#ixzz3Nlr0kRBh
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Hawkman
01-03-2015, 09:12 AM
NICE!!

HollywoodSteel
01-03-2015, 09:12 AM
I think the "Ten quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl after age 32, but most of those came decades ago..." stat is kind of silly. Does that work against Brady and Manning too? If you're a great QB, on a great team, at the right time, I really doubt being Brady's age is going to hurt your chances... unless your skills have diminished early or something.