PDA

View Full Version : Steelers dismiss notion D better without Polamalu

polamalubeast
01-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Troy Polamalu hasn't been himself while struggling through injuries this season. The 33-year-old has missed the past two games, which happened to be two of the Pittsburgh Steelers' best defensive efforts in 2014.

Polamalu's absence, coupled with improved play, led someone, somewhere to suggest the team is better off without the eight-time Pro Bowl safety Saturday night when the Steelers face the Baltimore Ravens.

It's a notion universally scoffed at within the Steelers' locker room.

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard," fellow safety Mike Mitchell said, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "That's absurd. It just shows the disrespect that some people have, and they have no clue about our game."

NFL Media's Aditi Kinkhabwala said on NFL AM Friday morning that one Ravens coach told her that they believe the Steelers' secondary is more disciplined and more mentally sound without Polamalu on the field.

Perhaps players being in predictable spots make communication easier. However, that's a double-edged sword, as the offense also has a better idea where the pawns will be on the board when Polamalu isn't on the field mucking everything up.

"I remember growing up watching Troy pick off Joe Flacco and returning them for touchdowns," Mitchell said. "Those are the kind of plays Troy makes, and you lose that when he isn't on the field."

It remains to be seen whether he'll be on the field making more of those memories Saturday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452944/article/steelers-dismiss-notion-d-better-without-polamalu?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

salamander
01-02-2015, 09:08 AM
This stubbornness with the Steelers needs to stop. The defense was/is notably better right now without Troy and Ike out there.

one side only
01-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Deception, aimed at making the Ravens prepare for the possibility of Troy playing.

This has to be the most out of touch comment I've seen in a long time "Perhaps players being in predictable spots make communication easier. However, that's a double-edged sword, as the offense also has a better idea where the pawns will be on the board when Polamalu isn't on the field mucking everything up."

Polamalu's positioning on the field hasn't affected a quarterback's of offensive coordinator's preparation or reaction in a very long time. Troy hasn't made a play like the one Mike Mitchell mentioned in a very, very long time as well.

The fact that Polamalu practiced on a Wednesday for the first time in years probably speaks to the fact that Polamalu himself recognizes he has to prove he belongs on the field again. However, the coaches would have to see something quite remarkable to put him back in there as something other than a 5th linebacker.

I'd love to see him suit up, and have the Steelers introduce the defense, with Polamalu coming out of the tunnel last to the roar of the crowd, but that is where his contiribution will end.

HollywoodSteel
01-02-2015, 09:17 AM
The problem is the combination of players. If Troy had a Chris Hope or a Ryan Clark (in their prime) to play opposite him and understand what he is doing, then yes, we're better with him out there. But Mike Mitchell just doesn't know how to play with Troy and the light isn't going to suddenly snap on this late in the season. The guys we have now in the secondary are better off with the meat and potato defense they can understand rather than taking the chance on Troy's freelancing - which can produce greatness if the guys around him understand what he's doing, but can produce real trouble for us if it leaves gaping holes in our secondary.

No fan is saying that Troy himself is worse (when healthy) than his back up. It's just that it's all a weird cocktail, and right now, all things considered, we might yield better results from the other ingredients if Troy isn't in there.

HollywoodSteel
01-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Just to clarify, I agree with OSO as well. It would be different (even with the new guys around him) if this were Troy from six years ago, but he's lost the speed that makes all that other specialness possible. So that means his buddies out there have to do EVEN MORE compensating for his freelancing. The combination of a slower Troy with an inexperienced crew just doesn't yield the kind of results we were used to in the days of Troy's greatness. It's all one big ball of wax.

polamalubeast
01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Steelers say calls to bench veteran defensive back Polamalu 'absurd'

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7461265-74/polamalu-game-steelers#ixzz3Ng6iYoLB
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

fansince'76
01-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Just to clarify, I agree with OSO as well. It would be different (even with the new guys around him) if this were Troy from six years ago, but he's lost the speed that makes all that other specialness possible. So that means his buddies out there have to do EVEN MORE compensating for his freelancing. The combination of a slower Troy with an inexperienced crew just doesn't yield the kind of results we were used to in the days of Troy's greatness. It's all one big ball of wax.

No clarification needed. Troy isn't Superman anymore, and it's painfully obvious. Further, we no longer have the talent around him to compensate for it if he takes a gamble on a play and loses (which is also happening more and more frequently).

Like OSO said, let them announce Troy's name in the introductions and have him run out of the tunnel to the roar of the crowd, but give Allen the start. There is no next week at this point.

thesteelerdealer
01-02-2015, 09:54 AM
I heard Tomlin just announced to the media that Troy WILL play Saturday night, and will split time with Allen. No way Tomlin says that publicly as a smoke screen....not with a Vet like Troy.

fansince'76
01-02-2015, 09:56 AM
I heard Tomlin just announced to the media that Troy WILL play Saturday night, and will split time with Allen. No way Tomlin says that publicly as a smoke screen....not with a Vet like Troy.

He needs to be restricted to obvious running situations, then, IMO.

86WARD
01-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Splitting time with Allen is just fine. At least Tomlin sees Allen is helping out there. Tomlin is making strides here late in the season...lol.

one side only
01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
He needs to be restricted to obvious running situations, then, IMO.

Trouble is, an obvious run situation becomes a passing opportunity with Troy in there. No doubt he will blitz the majority of the snaps he plays. I hope he plays well, I really do. Maybe the extra motivation will make a difference. Confirms the defense will be introduced and the Renegade video will feature lots of Troy embarrasing Flacco.

fansince'76
01-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Trouble is, an obvious run situation becomes a passing opportunity with Troy in there. No doubt he will blitz the majority of the snaps he plays. I hope he plays well, I really do. Maybe the extra motivation will make a difference. Confirms the defense will be introduced and the Renegade video will feature lots of Troy embarrasing Flacco.

True. I really hope Allen gets the majority of the snaps.

Dwinsgames
01-02-2015, 11:35 AM
perhaps seeing the article , and hearing the questions posed to his team mates puts a chip on Troys shoulder that makes his legs move faster ?

nah... not banking on it but one can hope ....

steel striker
01-02-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm FS on this play Allen because, we saw the difference. Also did Tomlin say Ike was playing as well? I hope not the secondary has played alot better the past few games nad, let's not screw this up. We already have to overcome this game without Bell and, let's not ask Ben & the offense to put 45 on the Ravens again in bad weather. I'm not saying they could not do that but, it's the playoffs probably a tight game to the end.

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Tomlin disagrees.....

Does Troy start tonight?

A. Yes he does.

Q. As the coach, is it a difficult decision to insert a guy into a group that had been playing well without him over a period of time?

A. Not when it’s Troy.

Q. So the decision in this case came down to who it is?

A. You bet.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-Bell-Troy-stopping-Forsett/25cccf27-8a25-4232-ac61-50622e400618

thesteelerdealer
01-03-2015, 10:08 AM
It would however be great to see Troy make that critical play that sways the game on defense. But it also scares me to see him do a total " olay " on tackling Forsett.

Edman
01-03-2015, 09:26 PM
I wonder what they're saying now?

zulater
01-03-2015, 09:28 PM
I wonder what they're saying now?

Nothing. They're still too stupid and stubborn to admit the obvious

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2015, 10:01 PM
They were wrong.

salamander
01-03-2015, 10:03 PM
This stubbornness with the Steelers needs to stop. The defense was/is notably better right now without Troy and Ike out there.

Hate to say I told ya so, but....I told you so.

fansince'76
01-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Knew it was a mistake...

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 10:16 PM
I agree that Polamalu should not to play, but the defense is terrible at every levels

86WARD
01-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Nothing. They're still too stupid and stubborn to admit the obvious

Pretty much sums it up here.

polamalubeast
01-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Tomlin disagrees.....

Does Troy start tonight?

A. Yes he does.

Q. As the coach, is it a difficult decision to insert a guy into a group that had been playing well without him over a period of time?

A. Not when it’s Troy.

Q. So the decision in this case came down to who it is?

A. You bet.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-Bell-Troy-stopping-Forsett/25cccf27-8a25-4232-ac61-50622e400618

Count Steeler
01-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Coaches have to get better at assessing personnel and playing the right players.

86WARD
01-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Splitting time with Allen is just fine. At least Tomlin sees Allen is helping out there. Tomlin is making strides here late in the season...lol.

I take this back. Tomlin is still a fucking asshole.

Edman
01-03-2015, 11:07 PM
This will probably go down as one of the dopeiest dumb decisions I've ever seen Tomlin make, and he's made dumb decisions before. This is one that is legendary.

The last time we thought Troy was the still the man, The secondary got lit up for 5 TD's against the Saints.

Now we thought we could handle Joe Flacco, welp, he just ended our season.

Which is why I'm still reluctant to sing Tomlin's praises even though the team was successful in 2014.

ALLD
01-04-2015, 07:56 AM
The Rats put up 30 points on us at home when they barely got past the Browns the previous week and have been struggling. Maybe a new way of thinking is needed to take this team to the next level?

fansince'76
01-04-2015, 08:10 AM
I agree that Polamalu should not to play, but the defense is terrible at every levels

It was at least playing passably the last few games. Putting Polamalu back in there completely destroyed the chemistry the defense had developed when Allen was starting.

86WARD
01-04-2015, 08:19 AM
If Polamalu is to play back there, he has to have assignments that a normal, everyday Safety would have. Not assignments that Hall of Fame Safety Troy Polamalu would have. The coaching staff clearly botched this...