PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown willing to shoulder more of the load

stillers4me
01-01-2015, 08:59 AM
The Big Three might be down to two Saturday, which means quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and wide receiver Antonio Brown would have to do even more when they open the playoffs against Baltimore.

But how much more can Roethlisberger and Brown do? They separately threw for more yards and caught more passes for more yards than any quarterback and receiver in Steelers history this season.

In their 43-23 victory Nov. 2 against the Ravens at Heinz Field, Roethlisberger passed for 340 yards and set an NFL record with a second consecutive game of six touchdown tosses. Brown caught 11 passes for 144 yards and one touchdown.

Without team MVP Le’Veon Bell in the lineup, Brown and Roethlisberger might have to take more on their shoulders.

“It’s the playoffs; you always have to take more,” Roethlisberger said “There’s a sense of urgency from all of us.”............

Read more @
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/01/On-the-Steelers-Ben-Roethlisberger-and-Antonio-Brown-willing-to-shoulder-more-of-the-load/stories/201501010098

one side only
01-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Roethlisberger has to be sharp, and spread the ball around to Bryant and Wheaton. Heath Miller should have a good day; C.J. Mosley isn't a great cover linebacker. AB will put up his normal numbers, but just like A.J. Green's career day against the Steelers wasn't enough for the Bengals to win, the Steelers will need contributions from everyone. Everything starts with #7. If he limits his mistakes and doesn't throw those WTF interceptions he sometimes does, the Steelers win.

Mojouw
01-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Haley will have to have a good game as well. Despite the poor weather forecast, he needs to find a way to isolate and expose Mosley in coverage. Maybe with Archer?

Lady Steel
01-01-2015, 04:02 PM
All in a day's work for Ben and Antonio.

fansince'76
01-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Roethlisberger has to be sharp, and spread the ball around to Bryant and Wheaton. Heath Miller should have a good day; C.J. Mosley isn't a great cover linebacker. AB will put up his normal numbers, but just like A.J. Green's career day against the Steelers wasn't enough for the Bengals to win, the Steelers will need contributions from everyone. Everything starts with #7. If he limits his mistakes and doesn't throw those WTF interceptions he sometimes does, the Steelers win.

Agreed. Heath Miller has quietly had a great year as well, and the arrow is pointed up for both Bryant and Wheaton.

steelpride12
01-01-2015, 04:31 PM
The weather is what scares me. With the amount of rain we are suppose to receive I expect it to be a running backs football game. Now, if we had Bell I would be excited. It's going to be very tough for Ben and Brown to have huge games in rain the entire game, but I have my hopes up. Who know's maybe Davis and Tate will have amazing games and the blocking for Ben will be on point. It's all we can hope for.

Remember, it's the playoffs and there are no excuses. It's do or die no matter who is injured and what the weather is.

thesteelerdealer
01-01-2015, 04:33 PM
The weather is what scares me. With the amount of rain we are suppose to receive I expect it to be a running backs football game. Now, if we had Bell I would be excited. It's going to be very tough for Ben and Brown to have huge games in rain the entire game, but I have my hopes up. Who know's maybe Davis and Tate will have amazing games and the blocking for Ben will be on point. It's all we can hope for.

Remember, it's the playoffs and there are no excuses. It's do or die no matter who is injured and what the weather is.

The Rain or field won't matter to Ben or Brown, or anyone else on our offense cause they know our field. The probelem will be for Baltimore.

steelpride12
01-01-2015, 04:35 PM
The Rain or field won't matter to Ben or Brown, or anyone else on our offense cause they know our field. The probelem will be for Baltimore.

The rain is a factor no matter what field you're playing on. Does it mean Ben and Brown will have a bad game, no of course not. I just think when it rains you rely more on the run game than you do the pass. As I said, we will see. It's football and anything can happen rain or shine.

thesteelerdealer
01-01-2015, 04:49 PM
The rain is a factor no matter what field you're playing on. Does it mean Ben and Brown will have a bad game, no of course not. I just think when it rains you rely more on the run game than you do the pass. As I said, we will see. It's football and anything can happen rain or shine.

I would agree usually but, since they put in that Grassmaster device...the fields footing is better. Still not perfect, but our players play on it, and practice on it everyday. As where the Ravens don't. And even though they are used to colder weather, they acyually have never played here when it was raining. Snow yes, but not rain, not serious rain anyways. So there will still be a lot of passing trust me.

steelpride12
01-01-2015, 04:52 PM
I would agree usually but, since they put in that Grassmaster device...the fields footing is better. Still not perfect, but our players play on it, and practice on it everyday. As where the Ravens don't. And even though they are used to colder weather, they acyually have never played here when it was raining. Snow yes, but not rain, not serious rain anyways. So there will still be a lot of passing trust me.

I agree the pass game will still be there and obviously it will for us since we have become a more pass happy team, but handling the ball and fumbling become more of an issue when it's raining which is another big reason why it's a running backs heaven. They can still fumble and have grip issues, but like I said it's football and it's the Steelers and Ratbirds. Anything can happen.

thesteelerdealer
01-01-2015, 05:11 PM
I agree the pass game will still be there and obviously it will for us since we have become a more pass happy team, but handling the ball and fumbling become more of an issue when it's raining which is another big reason why it's a running backs heaven. They can still fumble and have grip issues, but like I said it's football and it's the Steelers and Ratbirds. Anything can happen.

That's true. Game will turn on a weird play. Also, don't like our FG Kicker when it's perfect field conditions, let alone what it will be Saturday night...( Gulp ) BTW....I found this site. Please go there and look at some of those pics...they are funny as Hell. :rofl2:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-11-12-Amazing-Ravens-Playoff-Memes/b87198f2-9ad6-45f4-8392-af0e6fe86bdb

Lady Steel
01-01-2015, 05:18 PM
BTW....I found this site.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-11-12-Amazing-Ravens-Playoff-Memes/b87198f2-9ad6-45f4-8392-af0e6fe86bdb

Oh, really?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/21846-Enough-On-to-the-pre-week-Baltimore-talk?p=468947&viewfull=1#post468947

thesteelerdealer
01-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Oh, really?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/21846-Enough-On-to-the-pre-week-Baltimore-talk?p=468947&viewfull=1#post468947

Ooops. Sorry Lady. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. Okay, how about I stumbled accross it...AFTER you did. Sorry. But those pics were funny.

86WARD
01-01-2015, 06:04 PM
The Steelers actually don't practice on Heinz Field everyday...just saying...

smokin3000gt
01-02-2015, 02:24 AM
As long as it doesn't look like this I say bring on the rain!

https://i0.wp.com/html.thepittsburghchannel.com/sh/blogger/uploaded_images/Soggy-Field-764789.jpghttp://i.ytimg.com/vi/x7DTNEa2E7w/hqdefault.jpg

steelreserve
01-02-2015, 05:19 AM
I've seen some awesome passing displays in the pouring rain; sure, it makes it slightly harder to throw and catch, but defenders also have a tendency to slip and fall down. Brown seems like exactly the guy who could take advantage of that if he's not doubled, or Bryant if he is. It's a problem that we're facing Moonball Joe, because there are bound to be a number of 50-yard garbage heaves straight up in the air, and I guarantee you at least one goes against us with a dude who never should have been open running untouched into the end zone.

As for running the ball in those conditions, yes it's important, but it is going to be sloppy and limited. You are not looking for Bo Jackson, you want a guy who runs straight ahead and is hard to bring down and falls forward. I think we've at least got that. A lot of Bell's spin moves and stiffarms and open-field shiftiness might be wasted in a game like that, to be honest.

Overall, probably the best equalizing conditions we could hope for. We've got a fighting chance.

86WARD
01-02-2015, 09:17 AM
It's rain. The passing game will be fine. Worry more about if it's windy.

thesteelerdealer
01-02-2015, 09:25 AM

I agree wind matters, but it's supposed to be mild most of the time...Occasional bursts. But both QB's have Cannons for arms. But in the Rain....sorry but that DOES matter.....given our field turf. I mean I am worried if our kicker even attempts a 40 yard FG. And Baltimore has the better kicker as well. But the rain will effect both teams. The Rain MIGHT effect how the players can secure the ball, or on Pump fakes, which Ben really likes to rely on. So don't discount the heavy Rain, or how it could effect this game.

Mojouw
01-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Bad weather and being at home should favor the Steelers a bit. May slow the Ravens outside pass rushers.

Game may come down to which Steelers front 7 shows up. The one that can be run on at will, or the one that stopped the Bengals in the 2nd half last week.

fansince'76
01-02-2015, 09:32 AM

This.

86WARD
01-02-2015, 10:27 AM
I agree wind matters, but it's supposed to be mild most of the time...Occasional bursts. But both QB's have Cannons for arms. But in the Rain....sorry but that DOES matter.....given our field turf. I mean I am worried if our kicker even attempts a 40 yard FG. And Baltimore has the better kicker as well. But the rain will effect both teams. The Rain MIGHT effect how the players can secure the ball, or on Pump fakes, which Ben really likes to rely on. So don't discount the heavy Rain, or how it could effect this game.

Of course the rain will effect the overall game. But it's not going to affect the passing game to the point where both teams are only capable of running the ball. Passing the ball isn't going to be that drastically different because of the rain...opposed to if it were windy out.

And this field is ages above and beyond that debacle that happened against Miami.

thesteelerdealer
01-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Of course the rain will effect the overall game. But it's not going to affect the passing game to the point where both teams are only capable of running the ball. Passing the ball isn't going to be that drastically different because of the rain...opposed to if it were windy out.

And this field is ages above and beyond that debacle that happened against Miami.

Oh JESUS! You know who I hate ?...I mean Hate more then Republicans ?...more then Hitler...more then the KARDASHIANS!!....Freaking Weathermen!! I mean NOW the weather sites say Saturday night calls for not just SOME Rain...but now " ICE PELLETS "....I mean WTF are Ice Pellets ? And the Temp...two days ago is was supposed to be a high of 35...now they are saying around 45...Hell, by the time the game starts it will probably be 80...with a mention for fans to remember to bring their freaking Sunscreen lotion!!

I hate there Weather forcasters.

one side only
01-02-2015, 10:36 AM
They laid the sod over top of the existing grass just before that Miami game, and it didn't drain properly, that is why the field ended up being so sloppy. Heinz Field has a great drainage system (I can't remember the gallons per minute or hour, or however drainage capacity is expressed) and the field will not look like soggy green bean casserole like Ed Bouchette worded it in 2007.

86WARD
01-02-2015, 11:36 AM
They laid the sod over top of the existing grass just before that Miami game, and it didn't drain properly, that is why the field ended up being so sloppy. Heinz Field has a great drainage system (I can't remember the gallons per minute or hour, or however drainage capacity is expressed) and the field will not look like soggy green bean casserole like Ed Bouchette worded it in 2007.

Lol @ soggy green bean casserole.