PDA

View Full Version : Ravens-Steelers preview: Five stats to know about the wild-card matchup

one side only
12-31-2014, 10:20 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24924824/ravens-steelers-preview-five-stats-to-know-about-the-wild-card-matchup

Interesting perspective from CBS sports.
I don’t hear a lot of talk about yards before contact. If Justin Forsett averages over 3 yards per carry before contact, I will be disappointed in the Steelers run defense, which has improved as of late.
The pass blocking stats don’t tell the whole story to me. Sacks are one thing, but pressure is another. Seems to me the best formula for success would be for the Ravens to blitz a lot, and Ben using his skills to extend the play and finding receivers downfield. I’d like to see a stat that shows how many attempts Ben has made under pressure, and how many completions he has. Timmy Jernigan probably won’t play, which is good news for the Steelers.
FWIW, Pernell McPhee will be an unrestricted free agent next year. Maybe he would want to trade hideous purple for black & gold.
Flacco’s percentage of deep passes is interesting because it seems like he always throws deep against the Steelers. He completed a 35 yard TD in the last meeting.
AB has more catches and yards than the Smiths have combined. I think Bryant and Wheaton will have to contribute for the Steelers to win. They did last time.

one side only
12-31-2014, 10:36 PM
64 views and no replies? You guys should read the article linked in my post; interesting stuff.

Here's another stat that should concern Ravens fans. The Ravens had 30 first-half possessions in December, but 14 of those drives ended in punts and four were stopped by turnovers.

Against the Browns, the Ravens had four drives in the first quarter with 21 yards of total offense and three punts. They were shut out in the first half and gained just 126 yards of total offense as they went 3-for-9 on third downs and 0-for-2 in the red zone.

thesteelerdealer
12-31-2014, 11:00 PM
64 views and no replies? You guys should read the article linked in my post; interesting stuff.

Here's another stat that should concern Ravens fans. The Ravens had 30 first-half possessions in December, but 14 of those drives ended in punts and four were stopped by turnovers.

Against the Browns, the Ravens had four drives in the first quarter with 21 yards of total offense and three punts. They were shut out in the first half and gained just 126 yards of total offense as they went 3-for-9 on third downs and 0-for-2 in the red zone.

Sorry. I watched the Ravens/Browns game. And Baltimore shouldn't have allowed Cleveland's offense to do anything...considering a 3rd string QB playing his first game, and no Gordon. But they were in the game til late in the 3rd quarter when the Browns Joe Haden went down to a Injury and did not return. That's when Flacco started to move the Ravens. And once they scored a TD, and Cleveland had to score..that's when Shaw made mistakes. So I know the Ravens are up & down. But they only scare me when the steelers lay off applying constant pressure on Flacco, and just allow him to seek out his receivers. That's when Flacco is Dangerous, when he gets into a Rhythm. That's what we cannot allow Saturday night sir.

Count Steeler
01-01-2015, 06:45 AM
We almost predicted the same score. I'm looking for a 24-20 Steelers victory.

GoSlash27
01-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Meh. Nuthin' against you personally... I just don't put much stock in stats.
We've all watched the Steelers/ Ravens matchup twice this year and we all have a good feel for the players' relative strengths and weaknesses.
The Steelers have the overall advantage (with or without Bell), but things could spiral out of control in a hurry if we're not solid. A single turnover or a few ill-timed penalties could be enough to lose this game for us.

Best,
-Slashy

one side only
01-01-2015, 08:51 AM
FWIW, more numbers . . . .
In six games this season against the quarterbacks among the NFL’s top eight in passing yards, the Ravens allowed an average of 316.7 passing yards per game with 14 touchdowns and a 68.9 percent completion rate, for a 100.3 quarterback rating. In the other 10, the Ravens gave up an average of less than a touchdown per game, with 244 yards allowed per game and an 83.2 quarterback rating.

Just like the Steelers, the Ravens secondary has improved in recent weeks. The players and coaches talk about chemistry and communication and all the same things we hear coming from our side. However, their improvement came against Blake Bortles, Case Keenum and Connor Shaw who boast a combined 24 career starts and five victories. Those QBs don't have the quality of receivers the Steelers do.

Counterpoint from a Ravens fan?

Crow-Magnon
01-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Hard to counterpoint. The Ravens secondary play has improved, but not against a quality QB with quality receivers. Saturday will tell the tale, for good or ill. If....IF, the front seven can hammer Ben all game, they have a chance. If they give him time, it will be over midway through the third quarter.

thesteelerdealer
01-01-2015, 11:10 AM
With what is being called the heaviest Rain sorm come Saturday night that has not been seen in Pittsburgh in over 40 years....with over 2 inches in just the Game time ( 8 to 11 PM )...and with winds that will go from 12 MPH to gusts of over 25 MPH.....I think the Passing game of the Ravens...which is DEFINITELY more of a Deep, Long Bomb and lets PRAY that the Refs give us yet another Defensive PI penalty call...well that won't be a factor in this weather. As where the Steelers have the better offensive personnel to utilize the shorter, quick strike plays that the weather will likely not effect. So that is an advantage Pittsburgh.

GoSlash27
01-01-2015, 02:45 PM
With what is being called the heaviest Rain sorm come Saturday night that has not been seen in Pittsburgh in over 40 years....with over 2 inches in just the Game time ( 8 to 11 PM )...and with winds that will go from 12 MPH to gusts of over 25 MPH.....I think the Passing game of the Ravens...which is DEFINITELY more of a Deep, Long Bomb and lets PRAY that the Refs give us yet another Defensive PI penalty call...well that won't be a factor in this weather. As where the Steelers have the better offensive personnel to utilize the shorter, quick strike plays that the weather will likely not effect. So that is an advantage Pittsburgh.

Hell, there's a good chance the weather may shut down the passing game *entirely*!
Which team wins the ground 'n' pound matchup?