PDA

View Full Version : DK: Took a while, but Tomlin took charge

Steelman
12-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Mike Tomlin wouldn’t confess this if offered a month’s worth of Baltimore beatings, but man, was he feeling it at his Tuesday press conference.

Asked if Le’Veon Bell riding a stationary bike he was a sign he might be ready for the Ravens: “If you’re looking for comfort, it is. But there won’t be any bikes on the field on Saturday night.”

Asked how he’d characterize his feelings toward the Ravens in general and John Harbaugh specifically: “I wouldn’t. They’re the nameless grey faces that we play this week.”

Asked again about the blown fake punt Sunday: “They did a nice job. We didn’t. Namely, me.”

Asked if he’s comfortable with diminutive Dri Archer doing any pass-blocking: “I’m comfortable utilizing him with what he does best. If I want him to block Terrell Suggs, then I’m stupid.”

He’ll be there all week, folks. Try the veal.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/12/30/column-took-tomlin-took-charge/

Shoes
12-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Really enjoy DK's writing, there aren't many like him. I've pretty much tuned out of Tomlins pressers, but tonight I did listen in, before I read this piece from DK. It did feel different, in a positive in a way.

Merchant
12-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Probably the best article I've read on Tomlin's evolution throughout the season. Thank you for sharing.

crcsnail
12-31-2014, 05:10 AM
That was a very good read . I hate to say this as well , but the D has looked more solid without troy :( I guess time waits for no man .

stillers4me
12-31-2014, 05:19 AM
I can't read it unless I subscribe.

Shoes
12-31-2014, 07:53 AM

It's worth it Sue!

cold-hard-steel
12-31-2014, 07:59 AM
I subscribed and everything and i do mean everything,is gonna come down to the o-line play . Defense is of course a factor,but the "blank line" is going to win this game .

tube517
12-31-2014, 08:32 AM

Hmmmm....I like DK's articles but am too cheap to subscribe. However, I'm able to read it. :noidea:

Count Steeler
12-31-2014, 12:24 PM
I subscribed and everything and i do mean everything,is gonna come down to the o-line play . Defense is of course a factor,but the "blank line" is going to win this game .

Going to ride the Mach5 baby!!!!!!!

smokin3000gt
12-31-2014, 12:31 PM
I was able to read it without subscription as well. Nice read.

fansince'76
12-31-2014, 12:33 PM
He still does things sometimes that makes me scratch my head (like the fake punt attempt this past Sunday night), but I think Tomlin's coaching has taken a step forward this year, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Count Steeler
12-31-2014, 12:37 PM
I think Tomlin's coaching has taken a step forward this year, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

100% agree. I tend to forget that he is still quite young. I think it was after the Jacksonville game that he started to look different to me. Don't know if someone sat him down and had a talk or he just came to the realization of what job he actually holds. Probably one of the most preferred positions in sports. Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Very little chance of getting fired.

I also suspect we are going to have a kick ass draft next year. Don't know why, just a feeling.

tube517
12-31-2014, 12:52 PM
100% agree. I tend to forget that he is still quite young. I think it was after the Jacksonville game that he started to look different to me. Don't know if someone sat him down and had a talk or he just came to the realization of what job he actually holds. Probably one of the most preferred positions in sports. Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Very little chance of getting fired.

I also suspect we are going to have a kick ass draft next year. Don't know why, just a feeling.

You mean we will get 3 OLBs in the first 3 rounds as opposed to 2? :chuckle:

stillers4me
12-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Sometimes I can read the articles and sometimes it tries to sell me a membership. It must keep track of how many you've read for free.

Lady Steel
12-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Sometimes I can read the articles and sometimes it tries to sell me a membership. It must keep track of how many you've read for free.

I think you're right. I'm having the same issue.

polamalubeast
12-31-2014, 01:33 PM

It would be a good idea to draft only players in defenses in the next draft...And yes,the OLB position is a big need(same for CB,of course)

thesteelerdealer
12-31-2014, 01:35 PM
It would be a good idea to draft only players in defenses in the next draft...And yes,the OLB position is a big need(same for CB,of course)

A Punter might be nice as well :applaudit:

stillers4me
12-31-2014, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't object to at least one Munchak pick.

thesteelerdealer
12-31-2014, 01:38 PM
And even though he IS Great...I think it might be time to invest in another TE.

ALLD
12-31-2014, 01:40 PM
That was a very good read . I hate to say this as well , but the D has looked more solid without troy :( I guess time waits for no man .

Father Time never loses. It's about time Tomlin grew a pair for the $5 million per year he earns.

polamalubeast
12-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Agree for the TE and Punter

That would be the time that the Steelers draft a punter in the 6th round

Biggest need for the steelers....OLB,CB,TE,P

Shoes
12-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Thats correct Sue, they give you X amount of free reads, then they cut it.

one side only
12-31-2014, 02:00 PM
$54 for 1095 days? Very, very inexpensive for the content provided. DK covers more than the Steelers, so if the Penguins, Pirates & Pitt aren't of interest, I could understand the reluctance to subscribe. Still, cheaper than a cup of coffee per day.

Shoes
12-31-2014, 02:05 PM
$54 for 1095 days? Very, very inexpensive for the content provided. DK covers more than the Steelers, so if the Penguins, Pirates & Pitt aren't of interest, I could understand the reluctance to subscribe. Still, cheaper than a cup of coffee per day.

Agreed, well worth it.

Steelman
12-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Thats correct Sue, they give you X amount of free reads, then they cut it.

Yeah I guess so, I wasn't able to view it today. I didn't realize it was a subscription article since I could view it before. Sorry guys!

Guess I'll have to sign up now. :chuckle:

stillers4me
01-01-2015, 09:11 AM
The ability to actually read the articles for free comes and goes for me. I can read one or two and then it cuts me off. The Post Gazette subscription ones are the same, I think they allow you to read one every so often to tempt you to subscribe. I think as long as we are posting the link to the article we are fine in that regard.

I've posted some of Dejan's before. I probably will subscribe at some point. If you can't read the article, maybe request that someone that can PM you the article. Sharing is nice!

- - - Updated - - -

"It's not whether you get knocked down. It's whether you get back up." - Vince Lombardi

Back to the point of the article, I'm impressed with how the team and the coaches have responded this year. Not only are new leaders stepping up, new stars are being born. Has anybody else noticed the turn around since Blount was exorcised form the locker room? Coincidence?

Mojouw
01-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Here is another take on Tomlin's role in leading the team:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2014/12/31/7470321/confession-of-a-skeptic-of-steelers-mike-tomlin

I think that this take is a bit overly optimistic, but it is neat how winning the AFC North makes a lot of things look a bit better!:dance: