PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Officially Sign Free Agent RB Ben Tate

86WARD
12-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Steelers made it official and Tate will wear #34.

I'm guessing he was brought in for his blocking more so than toting the rock...I feel like Harris will get the ball to start?

WR Justin Brown has been released.

tube517
12-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Steelers made it official and Tate will wear #34.

I'm guessing he was brought in for his blocking more so than toting the rock...I feel like Harris will get the ball to start?

He will be expected to spin alot and hump Ben in the AFCC game. :chuckle:

one side only
12-30-2014, 01:38 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-running-back-Ben-Tate/0fa5333e-16c7-4da4-8d69-db7df85bd8ac?adbid=550011801660690432&adbpl=tw&adbpr=19426729&campaign=social_20141230_38093047

GoSlash27
12-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Quick work, 86Ward. I just got the word 2 minutes ago.

86WARD
12-30-2014, 01:40 PM

As long as they win...that was actually the highlight I most remember from that mess that was Rashard Mendenhall. That and the fumble in the Super Bowl are the two things I remember most.

vader29
12-30-2014, 01:42 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/2lne04y.jpg

:chuckle:

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 01:49 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/2lne04y.jpg

:chuckle:

Looks like in that picture Ben needs a second job. Oh well, Mcdonalds is hiring Ben.....

http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/57/59/c9c661919f9ba987becbfd67af72134c-mcdonalds-wants-you-to-smile-and-poop-for-money.jpg (http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6914266/mcdonalds-wants-you-to-smile-and-poop-for-money)

86WARD
12-30-2014, 01:50 PM
How soon before the Ravens sign Brown? Lol

tube517
12-30-2014, 01:50 PM
How soon before the Ravens sign Brown? Lol

Or the Cardinals

Steelman
12-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Never been a huge fan of Tate, but if he can help the team in the short term then I'm all for it. Tomlin seemed to indicate that Josh Harris would be getting the start. Tate has more experience than he or Perkins, so I assume he was brought in as a fail safe. I hope he's fully healthy and ready to contribute.

fansince'76
12-30-2014, 01:52 PM
As long as they win...that was actually the highlight I most remember from that mess that was Rashard Mendenhall. That and the fumble in the Super Bowl are the two things I remember most.

Or not even showing up for a game when he was inactive.

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Might be better for us to Cut Ike, and hope Baltimore picks him up and plays him in their secondary.

tube517
12-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Never been a huge fan of Tate, but if he can help the team in the short term then I'm all for it. Tomlin seemed to indicate that Josh Harris would be getting the start. Tate has more experience than he or Perkins, so I assume he was brought in as a fail safe. I hope he's fully healthy and ready to contribute.

I keep reading on Twitter that Tate may play on passing downs to help block. Seeing Archer out there attempting to block is like seeing an ant blocking Godzilla.

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Ben is also a very good receiver out of the back field, that likely played a role in signing him.

tube517
12-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Ben is also a very good receiver out of the back field, that likely played a role in signing him.

34 catches in part time duty for Houston last year. I'm not expecting much though. Can't expect much with only 3 days to learn the playbook.

fansince'76
12-30-2014, 02:03 PM
I keep reading on Twitter that Tate may play on passing downs to help block. Seeing Archer out there attempting to block is like seeing an ant blocking Godzilla.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/26/article-1089560-029AA23D000005DC-472_306x438.jpg

tube517
12-30-2014, 02:05 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/26/article-1089560-029AA23D000005DC-472_306x438.jpg

:lol:

The "A" is for Archer.

Psycho Ward 86
12-30-2014, 02:24 PM
34 catches in part time duty for Houston last year. I'm not expecting much though. Can't expect much with only 3 days to learn the playbook.

thats cool with me. the ravens wont know how to gameplan for ben tate because they dont know how we'll use him

Shoes
12-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Let's hope he's fired up and plays his a$$ off. Great oppuritunity for him to get picked up for game one in the playoffs.

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 02:37 PM
thats cool with me. the ravens wont know how to gameplan for ben tate because they dont know how we'll use him

Ben Tate is a straight ahead type of player. See Hole, run through hole. Not much to know with Tate. Tate is volume rusher. He can get 15 yards in his first 7 carries, then break out a 12-8, and a 20 yard run in his next 3 carries for a total of 10-55 yards. That has always been Ben Tate. But, in his 3 games against Baltimore the past 2 years, Ben has a solid 4.8 YPC. Not a great amount of carries but still, it's someone Baltimore knows they have to respect.

Count Steeler
12-30-2014, 03:34 PM
At least his name has a "B" in it. Ray Rice just doesn't fit.

KeiselPower99
12-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Like the signing and like the fact they brought him in and spent time with him to make sure he understood his role as a backup. Hate to see Brown cut as I think he provides more than DHB.

86WARD
12-30-2014, 03:40 PM

That is what I thought. Archer attempting to block Suggs would be a disaster. Just the thought is a disaster.

TD's & Beer
12-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Ben Tate has all my support....I approve!

He just had a kid, welcome aboard to the new family man.

Ben Tate's Girlfriend Tasha Malek

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000719603788/e97ac765ddb3529a3e6bb9b5ec67ce90.jpeg

http://www.playerwives.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/ben-tates-girlfriend-tasha-malek/

--------------

Godspeed, Run Ben Run!

zulater
12-30-2014, 04:29 PM
That is what I thought. Archer attempting to block Suggs would be a disaster. Just the thought is a disaster.

Ben might have called in sick at the very thought of it! :ill:

On a serious note. I like this signing. The only thing I don't like about it is it should have happened right after they cut Blount. A competent NFL back who at least give the threat of a running game and can pick up a blitz.

If Ben has a quality game we should win this one.

TD's & Beer
12-30-2014, 04:51 PM

our Ben or Cleveland's Ben?

X-Terminator
12-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Crap. Was hoping for Ray Rice, but this is acceptable on such short notice.

86WARD
12-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Ben might have called in sick at the very thought of it! :ill:

On a serious note. I like this signing. The only thing I don't like about it is it should have happened right after they cut Blount. A competent NFL back who at least give the threat of a running game and can pick up a blitz.

I feel like they didn't because they were too fresh off the Blount thing and Tate was let go the same day for allegedly similar "complaints?"

I'd love to see Tate have a nice little playoff run with Bell and stick around for a couple seasons...

stillers4me
12-30-2014, 05:24 PM
I wonder how he feels about the towels now? :lol:

Running back Ben Tate started off the 2014 season as the starter for the Browns. He was released, and had a brief stint in Minnesota before also being released by the Vikings.
On Tuesday, Tate went from famine to feast as the Steelers signed him as insurance in the wake of Le’Veon Bell’s knee injury. Bell’s status is uncertain, and there are only two other backs on Pittsburgh’s active roster – Josh Harris and Dri Archer. Harris is unproven, and Archer hasn’t been impressive at all during his rookie campaign.
It’s crazy to think, but Tate might be the best option without Bell considering neither Harris nor Archer has played in any significant NFL games. The Baltimore Ravens come to town for a wild card playoff matchup Saturday night, so Tate’s experience would be a plus.
However, not too long ago, Tate didn’t have anything nice to say about the Steelers. (http://sports-kings.com/new-browns-runningback-ben-tate-takes-shot-steelers/)
The tweet has since been deleted, but Tate responded with this when asked about his then division rivals:

Don’t like them or their little towels RT @TonyFrankovic (https://twitter.com/TonyFrankovic): @BenTateRB (https://twitter.com/BenTateRB) what’s your opinion on the steelers? Answer correct ha
— Ben Tate (@BenTateRB) March 18, 2014 (https://twitter.com/BenTateRB/statuses/445901204816932865)
It’s no big deal now, but he should be thanking Pittsburgh for allowing him to play in the playoffs after being unemployed last week.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/remember-ben-tate-took-shot-steelers/

NCSteeler
12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
He was a Brown , I would expect him to embrace hating us. Now he's one of us hell embrace hating the unibrow and the thug. It's the way it is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devilsdancefloor
12-30-2014, 07:08 PM
i liked tate at Auburn i think he can be a really good back in the right environment!

Dwinsgames
12-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Tates best success has come from running in a ZBS , that we have .. I suspect if he gets a chance he will look pretty good I remember a lot of chatter out of Houston that the fanbase wanted to keep him and trade Foster because Fosters back issues and Tate was successful when given a chance there and young with his arrow pointed up ...

that has only been a year ago ... doubt his ability has left him this soon at his age ...

another thing to consider is in Cleveland teams stacked the box because nobody feared Hoyer or the Browns WRs ...

Tate is not going to be Bell , but between him and Harris it just might be enough to get Bell a week of rest he needs

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Tates best success has come from running in a ZBS , that we have .. I suspect if he gets a chance he will look pretty good I remember a lot of chatter out of Houston that the fanbase wanted to keep him and trade Foster because Fosters back issues and Tate was successful when given a chance there and young with his arrow pointed up ...

that has only been a year ago ... doubt his ability has left him this soon at his age ...

another thing to consider is in Cleveland teams stacked the box because nobody feared Hoyer or the Browns WRs ...

Tate is not going to be Bell , but between him and Harris it just might be enough to get Bell a week of rest he needs

Look, lets not go overboard here. I mean Tate DID struggle with the Browns. And the excuse you made for him doesn't hold water cause their other two RB's who ran with that SAME O-line and same QB averaged over 4 YPC. in West and Crowell. So there were other factors Involved, and yes, it was mostly cause Tate was whining about having to share the carries with those other two RB's. He wanted to be the sole " BIG DOG " in the Dog Pound. So lets hope he has humbled himself a little bit. But bottom line is, I doubt he sees a lot of time Saturday unless Harris does really really bad or gets hurt. But I welcome Tate as a need depth player.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Look, lets not go overboard here. I mean Tate DID struggle with the Browns. And the excuse you made for him doesn't hold water cause their other two RB's who ran with that SAME O-line and same QB averaged over 4 YPC. in West and Crowell. So there were other factors Involved, and yes, it was mostly cause Tate was whining about having to share the carries with those other two RB's. He wanted to be the sole " BIG DOG " in the Dog Pound. So lets hope he has humbled himself a little bit. But bottom line is, I doubt he sees a lot of time Saturday unless Harris does really really bad or gets hurt. But I welcome Tate as a need depth player.

holds plenty of water , you just have to know the difference in types of schemes ....

Houston uses a ZBS ......

Cleveland does not .....

We Use a ZBS ......

Tate has 90% of his NFL snaps behind a ZBS , so I trust those numbers over the ones put up in Cleveland as to what we can expect from him in Pittsburgh if he sticks around long enough to see anything other than blocking on passing downs ( I do not expect to see it right away because he does not know the playbook )

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 08:40 PM
holds plenty of water , you just have to know the difference in types of schemes ....

Houston uses a ZBS ......

Cleveland does not .....

We Use a ZBS ......

Tate has 90% of his NFL snaps behind a ZBS , so I trust those numbers over the ones put up in Cleveland as to what we can expect from him in Pittsburgh if he sticks around long enough to see anything other than blocking on passing downs ( I do not expect to see it right away because he does not know the playbook )

The scheme is not Important. Those other RB's never played in that Browns scheme before either, and they did well. Yes, having better offensive weapons will maybe create more space then what he had in Cleveland and Minny, that I will agree with. And if he has played in a scheme simular to ours now, then he should get the plays pretty quickly. At least lets hope so. In a way I like Tate's style more then Bell's in that Bell tends to stand around first then looks for the best hole to run through. And with a fast pursuing defense like the Ravens that is not the best style. Which is why Bell has never really ran well against Baltimore. As where Tate's straight ahead Bull Dozier style is one that is best to attack Baltimore. And Tate's past numbers against the Ravens prove that. So I am hoping Tate gives us that if he does play Saturday night.

HollywoodSteel
12-30-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm certainly not going to cry over releasing Justin Brown, but I can't figure out why they wouldn't cut Landry Jones instead. There is absolutely no point carrying three QBs into the playoffs since they don't have the emergency 3rd QB rule anymore. He can't possibly dress on game day unless one of our other QBs is hurt BEFORE we decide who is going to dress. And it's not like any other team would snatch him up.

Oh, and he should have never made the 53 man roster anyway. He is absolutely useless as an NFL QB. Maybe he has pictures of Tomlin doing something Rex Ryan-like. Other than that, his presence on this team is a total head scratcher.

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm certainly not going to cry over releasing Justin Brown, but I can't figure out why they wouldn't cut Landry Jones instead. There is absolutely no point carrying three QBs into the playoffs since they don't have the emergency 3rd QB rule anymore. He can't possibly dress on game day unless one of our other QBs is hurt BEFORE we decide who is going to dress. And it's not like any other team would snatch him up.

Oh, and he should have never made the 53 man roster anyway. He is absolutely useless as an NFL QB. Maybe he has pictures of Tomlin doing something Rex Ryan-like. Other than that, his presence on this team is a total head scratcher.

How do you know he is worthless ? Have you ever seen him play ? I mean maybe if they release him right now, a team CAN sign him to their PS, and see what he has. Jones was an ELITE College QB with a Cannon for a arm. I mean maybe he doesn't amount to shit, but who can say ?

Dwinsgames
12-30-2014, 09:17 PM
The scheme is not Important. Those other RB's never played in that Browns scheme before either, and they did well. Yes, having better offensive weapons will maybe create more space then what he had in Cleveland and Minny, that I will agree with. And if he has played in a scheme simular to ours now, then he should get the plays pretty quickly. At least lets hope so. In a way I like Tate's style more then Bell's in that Bell tends to stand around first then looks for the best hole to run through. And with a fast pursuing defense like the Ravens that is not the best style. Which is why Bell has never really ran well against Baltimore. As where Tate's straight ahead Bull Dozier style is one that is best to attack Baltimore. And Tate's past numbers against the Ravens prove that. So I am hoping Tate gives us that if he does play Saturday night.

sorry but I refuse to argue when clearly you do not understand the intimate workings of the game ...scheme MATTERS ....

you are confusing Blocking Scheme and offensive systems ( play book / calls / verbage )

I am not going to argue with you over it ...

clearly you think you know more than you do and are unwilling to learn anything because you would rather argue instead of listen and learn ...

so carry on nothing to see here

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 09:21 PM
sorry but I refuse to argue when clearly you do not understand the intimate workings of the game ...scheme MATTERS ....

you are confusing Blocking Scheme and offensive systems ( play book / calls / verbage )

I am not going to argue with you over it ...

clearly you think you know more than you do and are unwilling to learn anything because you would rather argue instead of listen and learn ...

so carry on nothing to see here

Huh ? Dude, I was the one who suggested Tate. I have said that I LIKE the signing, and have said from the start that Tate's style has given the Ravens fits. All I said was lets not go totally overboard. As where you were acting like Tate is the second coming of Jerome Bettis. Take a chill pill Super Genius.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Huh ? Dude, I was the one who suggested Tate. I have said that I LIKE the signing, and have said from the start that Tate's style has given the Ravens fits. All I said was lets not go totally overboard. As where you were acting like Tate is the second coming of Jerome Bettis. Take a chill pill Super Genius.

what the fuck are you smoking anyways ?????

1) Tate was mentioned here before I ever knew you existed

2) I NEVER even remotely acted like he was the second coming of the Bus ....

3) you do not know the difference in offensive playbooks and Blocking schemes ...

4) Ignored

86WARD
12-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately Dwins, this guy has a toddler imagination and already knows more than the rest of the board combined. You're better off "learning" from him...he is all knowing...lol. He mentioned Ben Tate before anyone else thought of it...lol.

86WARD
12-30-2014, 09:42 PM
He was brought up right after Blount was released, and was basically shot down. This is totally different. Also, I have been watching, and attending Steeler games before you got hair number one on your Nut sack. And three...only cowards run and hide away from a conversation. So if that's what you want...fine. Go away and play with your Vagina.

You should really stop being an asshole. I mean really...you don't know anyone on this site. You don't know how long people have or have not watched the Steelers. Stop thinking you know it all...cause you really are proving that you know very little...and for a guy "your age," you should know better...but then again, living in Mommy's basement, maybe you don't know better...

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately Dwins, this guy has a toddler imagination and already knows more than the rest of the board combined. You're better off "learning" from him...he is all knowing...lol. He mentioned Ben Tate before anyone else thought of it...lol.

I said I mentioned him first right after Bell's injury. Not after Blount was released. But regardless, if you wanna claim you were first, so be it. Happy now son ?

86WARD
12-30-2014, 09:48 PM
I didn't claim I was first...lol. I have however been mentioning Tate for a long time, on multiple occasions seeing that Tomlin was running Bell into the ground. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

LLT
12-30-2014, 09:49 PM
In a way I like Tate's style more then Bell's in that Bell tends to stand around first then looks for the best hole to run through.

Waiting for blocks to develop is hardly ""standing around first then looking for the best hole to run through".

X-Terminator
12-30-2014, 09:52 PM
He was brought up right after Blount was released, and was basically shot down. This is totally different. Also, I have been watching, and attending Steeler games before you got hair number one on your Nut sack. And three...only cowards run and hide away from a conversation. So if that's what you want...fine. Go away and play with your Vagina.

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can. Please knock it off with the personal attacks. You have been nothing but a pain in the ass ever since you've arrived on this forum, and we are all getting tired of it. If you can't debate any other way, then please take your opinions elsewhere. We've built a very good community here, and we'd like to keep it that way.

86WARD
12-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Waiting for blocks to develop is hardly ""standing around first then looking for the best hole to run through".

Yeah it's called patience and because of that patience, Bell has been extremely successful. Unlike Rashard Mendenhall...

Steelman
12-30-2014, 09:57 PM

Da hell? You've been here all of three days and you're talking this kind of shit to respected long-time members of this board? I don't know where you came from, but where I came from you're expected to treat others with respect, especially if you're waltzing into a new room and don't know a living soul there. (eg. Steelers Universe) I suggest you take a step back and reevaluate your intentions here. I'm not a moderator and don't post a ton, but I've been here since this board's inception (and the board before that, betcha didn't know we all go that far back, eh?) and you might be one of more inflammatory people I've seen. And that's saying something.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2014, 10:02 PM
I bet its Spike .......

anyone care to IP check that ?

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Da hell? You've been here all of three days and you're talking this kind of shit to respected long-time members of this board? I don't know where you came from, but where I came from you're expected to treat others with respect, especially if you're waltzing into a new room and don't know a living soul there. (eg. Steelers Universe) I suggest you take a step back and reevaluate your intentions here. I'm not a moderator and don't post a ton, but I've been here since this board's inception (and the board before that, betcha didn't know we all go that far back, eh?) and you might be one of more inflammatory people I've seen. And that's saying something.

Taking a step back. Even though I didn't treat him disrespectfully. He did me. But whatever. BTW...How long have you been in Dallas ?

Shoes
12-31-2014, 12:21 AM

I agree Dwins! These are 2013 highlights, he does't look too bad in the traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_NmzCIER4

pepsyman1
12-31-2014, 01:07 AM
I think this is a good signing. Obviously he's not Bell, but he's got good size and speed and is capable of pounding the rock enough that the Ravens will have to respect it. That he can block and be a decent receiver makes me feel much better than the thought of Archer scurrying around our backfield like a ferret trying to trip a pass rusher.

smokin3000gt
12-31-2014, 01:22 AM
I agree Dwins! These are 2013 highlights, he does't look too bad in the traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_NmzCIER4

Not too bad at all. I feel better going into next week with him than Dri for sure. Thanks for the clip.

Texasteel
12-31-2014, 01:43 AM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by thesteelerdealer http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=469464#post469464) He was brought up right after Blount was released, and was basically shot down. This is totally different. Also, I have been watching, and attending Steeler games before you got hair number one on your Nut sack. And three...only cowards run and hide away from a conversation. So if that's what you want...fine. Go away and play with your Vagina.

I'm as old as anyone here. Old enough to be short tempered. I'll be damned if I will let anyone talk to a member like this. If you want to see the weekend here you will stop this shit now.

thesteelerdealer
12-31-2014, 01:52 AM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by thesteelerdealer http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=469464#post469464) He was brought up right after Blount was released, and was basically shot down. This is totally different. Also, I have been watching, and attending Steeler games before you got hair number one on your Nut sack. And three...only cowards run and hide away from a conversation. So if that's what you want...fine. Go away and play with your Vagina.

I'm as old as anyone here. Old enough to be short tempered. I'll be damned if I will let anyone talk to a member like this. If you want to see the weekend here you will stop this shit now.

Already forgotten. But some here keep bringing it up. Jesus, lets move on shall we ?

crcsnail
12-31-2014, 05:01 AM
Not too bad at all. I feel better going into next week with him than Dri for sure. Thanks for the clip.

I have never really seen Tate play . But was pleasantly surprised by his speed and also his change of direction at speed, in the clips. I'm liking the signing . Btw does he fumble much ? Or is that not an issue .

cold-hard-steel
12-31-2014, 08:23 AM
We all have plenty of love to go around .

cold-hard-steel
12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Already forgotten. But some here keep bringing it up. Jesus, lets move on shall we ?

Hope everything is cool man . The machV is the key to this game. I'm a dick sometimes , but everybody knows it .But really we all have some love to spread around .

cold-hard-steel
12-31-2014, 08:44 AM
We all have plenty of love to go around .

steel striker
12-31-2014, 08:57 AM
I like the signing of Tate and, he just needs to block split the carries with Harris. I thnink he can help the steelers win this game.

cold-hard-steel
12-31-2014, 10:03 AM

Dude you hate that guy to the end of the earth.

vader29
01-02-2015, 12:25 PM

86WARD
01-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Awesome!! lol.