PDA

View Full Version : Bell's possible absence sparks bad postseason memories for Steelers

stillers4me
12-30-2014, 05:00 AM
You know what they say about history often repeating itself?

In one specific way, the Steelers are hoping that isn’t true.

Go back to the 1976 playoffs. The Steelers were going for their third consecutive Super Bowl championship with what many believed was their most talented team. But just about everything — literally, everything — came crashing down at Baltimore’s Memorial Stadium in the AFC divisional round. Running backs Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were hurt in a 40-14 win against the Colts on a day when a small plane crashed into the upper deck of the stadium about 10 minutes after the game with, incredibly, no deaths or injuries. The Steelers had to play at the Oakland Raiders the next week in the AFC championship with little-used running back Reggie Harrison. The Raiders won easily, 24-7.

You want something more recent? How about the 2007 season? In new coach Mike Tomlin’s first playoff game, the Steelers had to play the Jacksonville Jaguars without running back Willie Parker, who blew out a knee late in the season. Najeh Davenport filled in and had 16 carries for 25 yards. They lost, 31-29............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/12/30/Ron-Cook-Looking-ahead-to-Ravens-history-runs-against-Steelers-NFL-football-Bell/stories/201412300094

one side only
12-30-2014, 08:06 AM
I was going to say the examples provided in Mr. Cook's column are apples to oranges comparisons to this year's situation, but they are more like apples to dump trucks.

steelreserve
12-30-2014, 11:09 AM
You want something more recent? How about the 2007 season? In new coach Mike Tomlin’s first playoff game, the Steelers had to play the Jacksonville Jaguars without running back Willie Parker, who blew out a knee late in the season. Najeh Davenport filled in and had 16 carries for 25 yards. They lost, 31-29............

Since the jaguars had a tough defense back then, if Parker was healthy he would've run for 21 yards on 19 carries. Anyway, we lost that game because of a pick-six followed immediately by another interception resulting in a three-play touchdown drive.

tube517
12-30-2014, 11:12 AM
I was going to say the examples provided in Mr. Cook's column are apples to oranges comparisons to this year's situation, but they are more like apples to dump trucks.

That 76 AFCC game was devastating. Both Rocky and Franco were great that year and to lose both of them sucked. That 10 game winning streak went for nothing.

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Remember, The Ravens starting RB is a back-up as well. And someone who was basically signed off the Scrapheap. And look how he's done this year ? Probably a no brainer for NFL Comeback player of the year.

fansince'76
12-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Since the jaguars had a tough defense back then, if Parker was healthy he would've run for 21 yards on 19 carries.

:chuckle:

steelreserve
12-30-2014, 12:14 PM
:chuckle:

I know. If I could go back and retroactively cut Parker, we'd have at least another six championships by now. grrrr ... 1.21 jigawatts ... doc brown where ar you

http://www.wikirevistes.org/w2/images/2/2a/Flux-capacitor-schematic.jpg