PDA

View Full Version : Kick-Returner for the Playoffs

Merchant
12-29-2014, 09:19 AM
Wheaton has been a fairly average kick-returner. Brown has shown that he can take it to the house on any given punt, and since it's the playoffs, why not use him on kick returns too? Touchbacks at Heinz field are harder to come by for the opposing team; whoever is back there this Saturday should get his chances.

I understand that using Brown during the regular season was too risky in terms of injury, but now that it's the playoffs shouldn't the coaching staff bust out all the stops?

Steelman
12-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Hey now! Wheatie's been getting it to the 18 on a consistent basis! :lol:

Craic
12-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Honestly, I don't know why we're not giving Archer another shot. I think it's been proven that he wasn't the problem. It was the blocking earlier in the year.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2014, 10:17 AM
not sure if serious. Wheaton is doing fine at 24.7 YPR, kick returns are nothing to get overzealous about, and the playoffs arent the time to play musical chairs and get experimental.

thesteelerdealer
12-29-2014, 10:39 AM
not sure if serious. Wheaton is doing fine at 24.7 YPR, kick returns are nothing to get overzealous about, and the playoffs arent the time to play musical chairs and get experimental.

That's absolutely true. Right now we need to stay as consistent as we can heading into the Ravens game. We have enough already to worry about them.

fansince'76
12-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Hey now! Wheatie's been getting it to the 18 on a consistent basis! :lol:

At least Wheaton knows when to down it and not try to bring it out from 8 yards deep before getting nailed inside the 10 (*cough* Archer *cough*)

tube517
12-29-2014, 11:36 AM
If you like 99 yard drives, then Archer is your man.

steelreserve
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Honestly, I don't know why we're not giving Archer another shot. I think it's been proven that he wasn't the problem. It was the blocking earlier in the year.

Because Archer has consistently sucked ass at everything he's been asked to do this season. That leads me to believe he is the problem. I have no doubt that if we put him back returning kicks in the playoffs, the result would be a costly fumble after the opponents scored and we were clinging to a field-goal lead. No thanks, no to all of that, he's in way over his head at the NFL level and just downright BAD. If the guy is even on the field at all during a critical situation I'll be pissed.

86WARD
12-29-2014, 12:27 PM
I don't think Wheaton has been terrible as a kick returner.

Merchant
12-29-2014, 01:21 PM
I didn't say he was terrible, I said average. He just doesn't seem to have that agility and elusiveness to excel in the role though. Brown does.

Anyways, just thought it'd be an interesting idea. I've always found kick-returns to be an overlooked aspect of the game. If anyone remembers the 2009 season well like I do then you know that kick returns can be huge.

thesteelerdealer
12-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Considering who we are playing this week, I am more worried about finding another Kick-off kicker who can actually kick it deep into the End zone more then finding a new return guy on kick-offs. That is the area we need to address cause it always seems we almost never even reach the end zone at all on kick-offs, and that more then anything has hurt us in the past.

GBMelBlount
12-29-2014, 01:42 PM
PsychoWard86

and the playoffs arent the time to play musical chairs and get experimental

Not sure what is so experimental with using someone who has about the best hands in the nfl and can take it to the house on just about any play, returning kickoffs.

I would be 100% fine if they have Brown handle kickoff returns.

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Not sure what is so experimental with using someone who has about the best hands in the nfl and can take it to the house on just about any play, returning kickoffs.

I would be 100% fine if they have Brown handle kickoff returns.

not all good punt returners are such great kick returners and vice versa. Besides antonio brown is only averaging 0.3 more YPR in his career than Wheaton is this season. i dont see why people think we need to pull out all the stops for the playoffs. i mean yeah, i think the ravens will give us all we can handle, but we just need to play our game

i think leveon's injury is creating a quiet panic amongst steeler fans.

Steelman
12-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Anyhow, I think we should be more concerned about Jacoby Jones returning one on us than who takes the kickoffs.

Merchant
12-29-2014, 01:57 PM
not all good punt returners are such great kick returners and vice versa. Besides antonio brown is only averaging 0.3 more YPR in his career than Wheaton is this season. i dont see why people think we need to pull out all the stops for the playoffs. i mean yeah, i think the ravens will give us all we can handle, but we just need to play our game

i think leveon's injury is creating a quiet panic amongst steeler fans.

No one is panicking. Just having a friendly discussion :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
12-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Anyhow, I think we should be more concerned about Jacoby Jones returning one on us than who takes the kickoffs.

this.

- - - Updated - - -

No one is panicking. Just having a friendly discussion :thumbsup:

i should clarify my statement. i think leveon's injury is causing a quiet subconscious panic among steeler fans. i dont believe anyone will say it out loud, but i think his injury will make people feel like the team needs to pack an extra pnuch in other areas to make up for leveon possibly not suiting up.

i know a part of me feels that way. but i think this team can win if we just stick to our game

Chidi29
12-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Wheaton has been fine. I know AB is conditioned like a champ but farther for the KR to run and takes more out of you.

Some of the return issues, especially early in the year, were blocking woes. That plays a factor. Tomlin doesn't *need* the most explosive guy. Just someone he trusts.

We've seen Najeh Davenport and Gary Russell return kicks. Wheaton looks like Usain Bolt compared to that.

Texasteel
12-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Have we tried Bryant at kick returner? He has very good acceleration, and enough speed to make things difficult if he makes it through the first wave of defenders.

GBMelBlount
12-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Have we tried Bryant at kick returner? He has very good acceleration, and enough speed to make things difficult if he makes it through the first wave of defenders.

Great point.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Gay can do either.

He is not as blinding fast but he is has very quick and shifty game speed.

thesteelerdealer
12-30-2014, 10:27 AM

What about James Harrison ? I mean who in their right mind would want to try and Hit HIM ??

86WARD
12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
He also has a pretty long return for a TD on his resume.

Texasteel
12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Great point.

It seems to be working in GB, with Hyde returning punts. Man I really wanted us to draft Hyde.

Lady Steel
12-30-2014, 10:42 AM

Oooooh, I like it! :)

zulater
12-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't think Wheaton has been terrible as a kick returner.

I don't either. I haven't done the work, but I'll bet our average start position per kickoff has gone up nearly ten yards since Wheaton has taken over the position. When he goes he doesn't hesitate. A lot more of his returns have ended up past the 20 than inside it.

Craig? I don't know what the hell you think you were watching with Archer? Worst return man I've ever seen. Showed no instinct. Just caught the ball and ran as fast as he could to nowhere. Falls down at the slightest contact.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooooh, I like it! :) I don't because eluding offensive player in the open field, half who would rather bang a hooker with hep c than try to make a tackle, isn't the same as eluding special team maniacs.

86WARD
12-30-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't either. I haven't done the work, but I'll bet our average start position per kickoff has gone up nearly ten yards since Wheaton has taken over the position. When he goes he doesn't hesitate. A lot more of his returns have ended up past the 20 than inside it.

Craig? I don't know what the hell you think you were watching with Archer? Worst return man I've ever seen. Showed no instinct. Just caught the ball and ran as fast as he could to nowhere. Falls down at the slightest contact.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't because eluding offensive player in the open field, half who would rather bang a hooker with hep c than try to make a tackle, isn't the same as eluding special team maniacs.

I don't think you need to do the "research" dude. If you watched any of the games from Archer returning to Wheaton returning, you can clearly see its night and day.

tube517
12-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Wheaton has been fine. I know AB is conditioned like a champ but farther for the KR to run and takes more out of you.

Some of the return issues, especially early in the year, were blocking woes. That plays a factor. Tomlin doesn't *need* the most explosive guy. Just someone he trusts.

We've seen Najeh Davenport and Gary Russell return kicks. Wheaton looks like Usain Bolt compared to that.

Who is this poster? :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
12-30-2014, 02:38 PM

back from the dead! welcome back chidi