PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB Roethlisberger not perfect but good enough

Lady Steel
12-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Ben Roethlisberger missed pregame warm-ups Sunday because of what the Steelers called “a minor stomach virus.”

By the time the virtual AFC North championship game ended, it was the Bengals who were left feeling sick.

Roethlisberger, though visibly weakened and speaking softly, felt much better after the game than he did before it.

“We won,” he said after a 27-17 against Cincinnati that clinched the AFC North division title, “so I feel pretty good.”

Sunday's performance — 24 for 38, 317 yards, two touchdowns, one interception and one lost fumble — wasn't Roethlisberger's finest this season. But it did cap the finest statistical season for a passer in Steelers history.

Roethlisberger finished tied for the NFL passing yardage title with Drew Brees (4,952 yards), joining Jim Finks in 1955 as the only Steelers player to win or tie for that distinction.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7456649-74/roethlisberger-steelers-sunday#axzz3NAaVdp00

Drink lots of fluids and get some rest, Ben. See you Saturday night. :tt02:

Craic
12-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Yeah, that's one thing I really like about this year's Ben. unlike the last few years, he just seems able to do what needs to be done to overcome problems and win. With Ben playing this way and heading into the playoffs, the sky's the limit.

fansince'76
12-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Pretty much forgot about the fumble, which was more a bad snap than anything. Speaking of which, did Pouncey's shotgun snaps all seem sort of low to anyone else?

tube517
12-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Pretty much forgot about the fumble, which was more a bad snap than anything. Speaking of which, did Pouncey's shotgun snaps all seem sort of low to anyone else?

Sure did. Should've had Deebo run through long snapping drills w/Pouncey. :peep:

Craic
12-29-2014, 12:37 AM

yeah, I noticed that as well. I thought maybe he didn't want Ben to raise his arms. You know, stretch up above, get brown down below. :chuckle:

Sure did. Should've had Deebo run through long snapping drills w/Pouncey. :peep:

You're cruising . . . ! :wink02:

smokin3000gt
12-29-2014, 12:39 AM
Ben is finally playing up to his veteran status. He's mature and playing smart football.

fansince'76
12-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Ben is finally playing up to his veteran status. He's mature and playing smart football.

I think the fact that his OL is consistently giving him time for a change has a lot to do with that. Hiring Munchak was the best move of the offseason last year.

Lady Steel
12-29-2014, 12:47 AM
I think the fact that his OL is consistently giving him time for a change has a lot to do with that. Hiring Munchak was the best move of the offseason last year.

Wow, you said it, Gary. I can't believe the improvement in the O-Line this year. It's like night and day. I'm very, very pleased.

Craic
12-29-2014, 12:49 AM

This.

I think part of it is that Ben's not forcing things as well. But a decent part of that was probably derived from bad line play as well causing Ben to try and put too much on his shoulders. I think tonight, he did a great job just playing within himself and letting the other players take up their weight to deliver the victory.

stillers4me
12-29-2014, 08:46 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6Bz2TcIEAEo6VH.jpg

smokin3000gt
12-29-2014, 10:28 AM

Definitely and without a doubt. The oline has been the biggest single improvement anywhere on the team. Last night my wife woke up from a nap rubbed her eyes and asked if Ben had a pocket to throw from or if she was dreaming still.

I also think Ben has stepped into the leadership roll a little differently then he has in years passed. I have to say for all the players that we've lost or on the way out, I didn't think the team was going to turn around this quick. If we can get a good RB next year to back up LVB and pick up a few beast to shore up the secondary this team will be right back at the top.

Craic
12-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Definitely and without a doubt. The oline has been the biggest single improvement anywhere on the team. Last night my wife woke up from a nap rubbed her eyes and asked if Ben had a pocket to throw from or if she was dreaming still.

I also think Ben has stepped into the leadership roll a little differently then he has in years passed. I have to say for all the players that we've lost or on the way out, I didn't think the team was going to turn around this quick. If we can get a good RB next year to back up LVB and pick up a few beast to shore up the secondary this team will be right back at the top.

Yep.

Does anyone remember the stories in training camp about Ben actually running WR routes to show the receivers what they needed to do? Something's clicked in him that's finally taken him to that top level where he's using all his talent. And, while I do believe better O line play is a good part of that, I do think there's something with Ben that finally came together as well.

EDIT: Second thought . . . a good chance it was him finally figuring out how to mesh the "Big Ben" persona with being a mature adult. By that I mean, ever since the incident in Georgia, Ben's grown up. But, part of that was dumping the Big Ben persona, per his words. I think now, he's learned how to pick up what he needs to play football, but also keep the adult-level maturity that has pushed him to be a great leader, and possibly that meshing has mixed Pocket-Passer Ben with Sand-Box-Football Ben to get the best of both worlds.

86WARD
12-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Good thing they haven't traded Ben yet...;)

polamalubeast
12-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Ben for this year

- 3rd in completion percentage
- T1st in passing yards per game
- 3rd in yards per attempt

- 7th in TD percentage
- 3rd in INT percentage
- 3rd in passer rating