PDA

View Full Version : Bell

polamalubeast
12-28-2014, 10:33 PM
:pray::pray::pray:

Craic
12-28-2014, 10:41 PM
No doubt. I hope he's okay. I understand going low, and I want to believe it wasn't a dirty shot, but going that low when it wasn't necessary... I don't like what I saw.

NCSteeler
12-28-2014, 10:44 PM
It's what the commish preaches, knees be damned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craic
12-28-2014, 10:45 PM
NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE!!

Thank God. From Tomlin's mouth.

Lady Steel
12-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Prayers to Le'Veon for a speedy recovery.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2014, 10:46 PM
NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE!!

Thank God. From Tomlin's mouth.

Let's hope and pray so.

thesteelerdealer
12-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Even the most minor Hyper extension is usually a 2 to 4 week injury. Have never heard of anyplayer suffering that Injury and playing the next game.

polamalubeast
12-28-2014, 10:49 PM
I hope than Bell can play next week

Steelman
12-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Good news, now it remains to be seen if Bell can recover quickly. I would imagine even if he was miraculously able to run by Saturday that he'll be limited in any game action. Gotta hope Harris can run hard and make an impact next week.

thesteelerdealer
12-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Well, if Bell ever needed a GOOD excuse to smoke some Weed...he has it now. :smoker:

polamalubeast
12-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Well, if Bell ever needed a GOOD excuse to smoke some Weed...he has it now. :smoker:

This is not funny.....c'mon

GoSlash27
Definitely not a cheap shot.
You gotta hit a runner somewhere, and Goodell isn't giving defenders much choice these days.

If we've got to soldier on without Leveon, then so be it. I don't like it, but (insert Tomlinism here).

I just hope he'll be okay.

Steelman

Really? :coffee:

SteelerFanInStl
12-28-2014, 10:56 PM
No doubt. I hope he's okay. I understand going low, and I want to believe it wasn't a dirty shot, but going that low when it wasn't necessary... I don't like what I saw.
Sure looked dirty to me. He crouched down low, waited for him to turn and then dove right for his knee.

thesteelerdealer
12-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Definitely not a cheap shot.
You gotta hit a runner somewhere, and Goodell isn't giving defenders much choice these days.

If we've got to soldier on without Leveon, then so be it. I don't like it, but (insert Tomlinism here).

I just hope he'll be okay.

You need to learn the rules. The rules say you cannot deliberately aim and hit a UNPROTECTED Receivers knee. Try actually READING something. That was textbook Illegal Hit. Tomlin just doesn't want to say it out loud.

HollywoodSteel
12-28-2014, 10:59 PM

"Mommy, defenders who are at a disadvantage when tackling a bigger guy are now training themselves to aim low rather than risk grazing someone's helmet."
"You're a Roger Goodell apologist, honey; keep telling yourself that this is all because he cares so much about player safety."

Said with love, Craic. I just couldn't resist. ;)

stillers4me
12-28-2014, 11:00 PM
I'd liked our chances a whole lot better with a healthy Bell.

smokin3000gt
12-28-2014, 11:01 PM
as much as his knee flexed and only 6 days to heal up I am not very optimistic about his return against the ravens.

Devilsdancefloor
12-28-2014, 11:03 PM
He wasnt attempting to wrap him up he lead with his forarm i think it was cheap

thesteelerdealer
12-28-2014, 11:04 PM
as much as his knee flexed and only 6 days to heal up I am not very optimistic about his return against the ravens.

Me neither. And seriously, I don't want him to play. The Ratbirds will only smell fresh Meat, and hit Bell low every chance they can...especially the FAT ASS that is Ngata!!

smokin3000gt
12-28-2014, 11:06 PM
You need to learn the rules. The rules say you cannot deliberately aim and hit a UNPROTECTED Receivers knee. Try actually READING something. That was textbook Illegal Hit. Tomlin just doesn't want to say it out loud.

making friends everywhere you go eh?

Me neither. And seriously, I don't want him to play. The Ratbirds will only smell fresh Meat, and hit Bell low every chance they can...especially the FAT ASS that is Ngata!!

I agree that if he was somehow able to play that there would be a cheap shot. without a doubt in my mind.

thesteelerdealer
12-28-2014, 11:08 PM
making friends everywhere you go eh?

I mean no disrespect but...read the rules at nfl.com. I mean it was Illegal. I mean go to profootball, or most any site, everyone is saying it was a blatant Illegal hit.

fansince'76
12-28-2014, 11:12 PM
I hope than Bell can play next week

Doubtful. This is at least a 2-week injury. But I do know I want Harris starting over Archer. I can't believe what an absolute waste of a 3rd round pick he's become.

Thank GOD his leg wasn't planted when he got hit.

Craic
12-28-2014, 11:14 PM
"Mommy, defenders who are at a disadvantage when tackling a bigger guy are now training themselves to aim low rather than risk grazing someone's helmet."
"You're a Roger Goodell apologist, honey; keep telling yourself that this is all because he cares so much about player safety."

Said with love, Craic. I just couldn't resist. ;)

All's good, especially since it only deals with RECEIVERS! And I'm only partially kidding there in that, at that point, he was no longer a receiver. He was a runner and all the rules that are protecting a receiver catching a ball, no longer apply.

AHEM "Steelerdealer" I suggest you read what I just wrote, because you're wrong. Those rules you're quoting have nothing to do with this particular hit.

Shoes
12-28-2014, 11:18 PM
They need to get Perkins off the PS and give Archer a bag of sunflower seeds. Harris/Perkins is better than Archer/Harris.

thesteelerdealer
12-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Okay, nobody here wants Ray Rice signed if Bell is out longer then we think. But...anyone interested maybe in kicking the tires on " Ben Tate " ?? He was recently released right ? And at least he has played this season, so his body is more football ready then Ray Rice would be. Anyone wanna see Tate brought in ?

Butch
12-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Sure looked dirty to me. He crouched down low, waited for him to turn and then dove right for his knee.

This is exactly the way I saw it and his intent was to take out Bell not to try to tackle him. Just remember karma is a Bitch.

Merchant
12-28-2014, 11:21 PM
http://hyperextended-knee1.blogspot.ca/2012/03/how-to-recover-from-hyperextended-knee.html

^^^ 2-4 week avg recovery time. But that is for the average joe; not a pro athlete as tough as Bell. Even if he feels he can play, I feel like he should sit no matter what. We can take the ratbirds without him.

Steelman
12-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Okay, nobody here wants Ray Rice signed if Bell is out longer then we think. But...anyone interested maybe in kicking the tires on " Ben Tate " ?? He was recently released right ? And at least he has played this season, so his body is more football ready then Ray Rice would be. Anyone wanna see Tate brought in ?

Nope. Tate's a POS who's more of a cancer than Blount. He also can't stay healthy. Pass.

steelreserve
12-28-2014, 11:22 PM
I don't like it, but I don't think it was illegal. You can't call him a receiver anymore at that point; he was running with the ball in the open field. Almost the same exact play as Harrison's low hit in the Tebow game that injured a guy. A shitty play, but that's what Almighty Goodell wants for "player safety."

It was obvious from the moment the replay showed up that he had a hyperextended knee; thanks god it wasn't anything worse. He's lucky he's a young guy and perhaps a bit more limber ... for a running back pushing 30, I could see that turning into a blown-out knee and a career-threatening injury.

thesteelerdealer
12-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Nope. Tate's a POS who's more of a cancer than Blount. He also can't stay healthy. Pass.

I didn't know he was a team Cancer. Never heard that before.

Hawkman
12-28-2014, 11:23 PM
I mean no disrespect but...

YES YOU DO!

Shoes
12-28-2014, 11:23 PM
http://hyperextended-knee1.blogspot.ca/2012/03/how-to-recover-from-hyperextended-knee.html

^^^ 2-4 week avg recovery time. But that is for the average joe; not a pro athlete as tough as Bell. Even if he feels he can play, I feel like he should sit no matter what. We can take the ratbirds without him.

Thats how I see it, Bell has to rest up.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2014, 11:24 PM
i take a little comfort in knowing that Bell only had 10 carries for 20 yards in the last ravens game and we still blew them out...then again Ben had to throw 6 TD's to do it

Steelman
12-28-2014, 11:24 PM
I didn't know he was a team Cancer. Never heard that before.

Got kicked off the Browns because he was bitching about carries. Minnesota signed him for a couple weeks this season and promptly kicked him back to the curb for similar reasons.

We can get by with Harris and Perkins.

fansince'76
12-28-2014, 11:25 PM
i take a little comfort in knowing that Bell only had 10 carries for 20 yards in the last ravens game and we still blew them out...then again Ben had to throw 6 TD's to do it

Ben also had a competent extra blocker with Bell in there too. That attempt at "blocking" by Archer on the play Ben threw the INT was a damn joke. We're losing a LOT more than just a RB with Bell. The Ravens are going to be unleashing the hounds as far as their pass rush goes. And they're getting Ngata back. Never thought I'd say this, but thankfully Spaeth is back.

steelreserve
12-28-2014, 11:26 PM

Nobody would need him to stay healthy for more than one game, and you can probably put up with a guy being a dick for a week without it becoming a "locker room cancer" kind of thing.

I'd still pass on signing someone from outside, and if anything call up that other RB we signed to the practice squad after the Blount thing (edit: Perkins, that was it). Seemed like his thing was that he's a stocky guy who's hard to bring down, which is basically what we need. If there was ever a time to dropkick Landry Jones or Justin Brown for that, this is it.

Shoes
12-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Harris and Perkins might just be enough to throw the rats off, Hopefully Tomlin will get him (Perkins) off the PS

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Ben also had a competent extra blocker with Bell in there too. That attempt at "blocking" by Archer on the play Ben threw the INT was a damn joke. We're losing a LOT more than just a RB with Bell.

ugh. no kidding. thats why i said a 'little' comfort.

steelreserve
12-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Ben also had a competent extra blocker with Bell in there too. That attempt at "blocking" by Archer on the play Ben threw the INT was a damn joke. We're losing a LOT more than just a RB with Bell. The Ravens are going to be unleashing the hounds as far as their pass rush goes. And they're getting Ngata back.

Archer just needs to be sat down and used for misdirection and trick plays only. He's a running back that can't run or block, and a receiver who can't get open. How well is that going to work against Baltimore of all teams.

At least this time they figured it out after one series and got him the hell out of there. A few years ago, we'd have been stuck with that for the rest of the game, no joke.

fansince'76
12-28-2014, 11:36 PM
It was obvious from the moment the replay showed up that he had a hyperextended knee; thanks god it wasn't anything worse. He's lucky he's a young guy and perhaps a bit more limber ... for a running back pushing 30, I could see that turning into a blown-out knee and a career-threatening injury.

If his leg had been planted, it would probably have been career-threatening anyway. It would have been one of those where the ACL, MCL AND PCL all get taken out at the same time. But since you can't hit a ball carrier anywhere else anymore without the threat of a flag and a hefty fine, you really can't blame the defender.

Craic
12-28-2014, 11:45 PM
I think Harris showed just enough in this game that the Ravens will have to treat him like an NFL running back, rather than a scrub coming in. I have no idea about his blocking, but forty more pounds over Dri will help things regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

If his leg had been planted, it would probably have been career-threatening anyway. It would have been one of those where the ACL, MCL AND PCL all get taken out at the same time. But since you can't hit a ball carrier anywhere else anymore without the threat of a flag and a hefty fine, you really can't blame the defender.

Sorry, FS, but that's just not true. There's no rules about hitting a ball carrier outside of normal ones over the last ten or twenty years. it's only receivers WHILE CATCHING and QB's who are "in the act of passing" however that's being defined.

Bell was a runner. He wasn't a receiver by the rulebooks when he got hit. None of the rules everyone bitches about applied to that situation.

fansince'76
12-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Sorry, FS, but that's just not true. There's no rules about hitting a ball carrier outside of normal ones over the last ten or twenty years. it's only receivers WHILE CATCHING and QB's who are "in the act of passing" however that's being defined.

Bell was a runner. He wasn't a receiver by the rulebooks when he got hit. None of the rules everyone bitches about applied to that situation.

Has more to do with the way the rules are applied and the fact that everything has become a split-second judgment call than the actual rules themselves. Sorry, but you can't tell me that flags aren't thrown due to the appearance and/or the results of hits, as opposed to the nature of the hits themselves. If Nelson went higher and blew up Bell on the play and it looked "too violent," there was at least a 50/50 chance that 15 yards gets tacked on at the end of the play.

HollywoodSteel
12-28-2014, 11:57 PM
All's good, especially since it only deals with RECEIVERS! And I'm only partially kidding there in that, at that point, he was no longer a receiver. He was a runner and all the rules that are protecting a receiver catching a ball, no longer apply.

I know the rule difference, and I was almost going to point it out since I knew you'd bring it up, but I figured I covered myself when I said "training themselves to aim low." If you train yourself to aim low against everyone that's kind of difficult to wrap up - and risk ending their season and possibly even their career rather than risk a fine - you don't even have to think about whether the guy is still a receiver or if he's now a runner... Just practice going low. Train yourself to do it without thinking. No fines, no lawsuits, no mess, no fuss.

(And I am probably reaching a bit with any direct correlation between the fines for hitting high and players starting to train themselves to hit low. But it's certainly less of a reach than your accusation of Steeler fans blaming Saint Goodell (who really only has safety and justice on his mind when making decisions) for absolutely everything bad that happens in the universe. I think studies are even beginning to show that his theory of an 18 game season being beneficial to player health is actually true. And if not, he just needs to pay the guys running the studies a bit more :).)

thesteelerdealer
12-29-2014, 12:04 AM
I think Harris showed just enough in this game that the Ravens will have to treat him like an NFL running back, rather than a scrub coming in. I have no idea about his blocking, but forty more pounds over Dri will help things regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely 100 % Incorrect. Any player who goes out on a pass pattern IS a Receiver. Whether they play WR or RB..The same rules apply. And I know this cause I was watching the Pats play the Jets last weekend, and Shane Vereen went out on a pass play, and caught it, and the Jets defender hit him low around the knee while he was up in the air, and the Ref called a 15 yard defenless RECEIVER penalty on the Jets. And Vereen is NOT a WR sir. So your facts are totally wrong!!

Craic
12-29-2014, 12:10 AM
I know the rule difference, and I was almost going to point it out since I knew you'd bring it up, but I figured I covered myself when I said "training themselves to aim low." If you train yourself to aim low against everyone that's kind of difficult to wrap up - and risk ending their season and possibly even their career rather than risk a fine - you don't even have to think about whether the guy is still a receiver or if he's now a runner... Just practice going low. Train yourself to do it without thinking. No fines, no lawsuits, no mess, no fuss.

(And I am probably reaching a bit with any direct correlation between the fines for hitting high and players starting to train themselves to hit low. But it's certainly less of a reach than your accusation of Steeler fans blaming Saint Goodell (who really only has safety and justice on his mind when making decisions) for absolutely everything bad that happens in the universe. I think studies are even beginning to show that his theory of an 18 game season being beneficial to player health is actually true. And if not, he just needs to pay the guys running the studies a bit more :).)

My post wasn't directed towards yours because you did write it that way, and actually I do agree that players are training themselves to hit lower in all situations, even when it's not necessary.

Has more to do with the way the rules are applied and the fact that everything has become a split-second judgment call than the actual rules themselves. Sorry, but you can't tell me that flags aren't thrown due to the appearance and/or the results of hits, as opposed to the nature of the hits themselves. If Nelson went higher and blew up Bell on the play and it looked "too violent," there was at least a 50/50 chance that 15 yards gets tacked on at the end of the play.

But this wouldn't be a split second call. That's the whole point. He was a runner and no longer protected. So ALL those rules no longer apply. Now, the same rules that apply to a running back or a DB who's intercepted the ball apply to him. And no, unless he "speared" him (no longer called that, but still basically the rule) there wouldn't have been a penalty. Period. Because all those rules your focused on no longer applied.

Craic
12-29-2014, 12:22 AM
Absolutely 100 % Incorrect. Any player who goes out on a pass pattern IS a Receiver. Whether they play WR or RB..The same rules apply. And I know this cause I was watching the Pats play the Jets last weekend, and Shane Vereen went out on a pass play, and caught it, and the Jets defender hit him low around the knee while he was up in the air, and the Ref called a 15 yard defenless RECEIVER penalty on the Jets. And Vereen is NOT a WR sir. So your facts are totally wrong!!

Sigh. Just the fact that you don't recognize the phrase "runner" which is a specific term in the NFL rulebook, SEPARATE from "Running back" tells me you really have no idea what you're talking about. But, just incase you want to continue to argue something you don't understand, please read the rules first.

Runner and Running Play

RUNNER
Article 1
The Runner is the offensive player who is in possession of a live ball (3-2-1), i.e., holding the ball or carrying it in any
direction.

Please, actually go read the rule book before trying to explain the rules which you do not know.

SteelMayhem72
12-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Im not feeling good about the Ravens without a healthy bell...there is nobody not even close to his talent. We need to make some major adjustments this week. Bell has helped Ben get at least a third or almost half his passing yards this year and without him it is gonna be very tough winning...the D is gonna have to play lights out!

fansince'76
12-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Im not feeling good about the Ravens without a healthy bell...there is nobody not even close to his talent. We need to make some major adjustments this week. Bell has helped Ben get at least a third or almost half his passing yards this year and without him it is gonna be very tough winning...the D is gonna have to play lights out!

I'm hoping for some kind of "Willis Reed moment" from Bell next Saturday...

thesteelerdealer
12-29-2014, 12:37 AM
Sigh. Just the fact that you don't recognize the phrase "runner" which is a specific term in the NFL rulebook, SEPARATE from "Running back" tells me you really have no idea what you're talking about. But, just incase you want to continue to argue something you don't understand, please read the rules first.

Please, actually go read the rule book before trying to explain the rules which you do not know.

Where does it say RECEIVING ? It says CARRYING. Meaning Carrying it from the LOS, NOT as a Receiver out in the open field. Doesn't matter who they are, or what position they are. If they are out on a PASSING Route, and if the ball is thrown to them, they ARE Afforded the SAME protection that any other WR gets. So try actually growing a Brain!!

tube517
12-29-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm hoping for some kind of "Willis Reed moment" from Bell next Saturday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Zx0JJjM_0

Merchant
12-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Alex Kozora retweeted
Joshua Harris @JoshHarris25 -
·
Le'Veon texted me and said he's good. Overall a great night. #SteelerNation #WeRunTheNorth

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Craic
12-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Where does it say RECEIVING ? It says CARRYING. Meaning Carrying it from the LOS, NOT as a Receiver out in the open field. Doesn't matter who they are, or what position they are. If they are out on a PASSING Route, and if the ball is thrown to them, they ARE Afforded the SAME protection that any other WR gets. So try actually growing a Brain!!

Tell me. Did you even bother looking up the actual rules in the rule book yet?

It's not even worth haveing a conversation with you until you actually do a little reading. Here, I'll even give you the link. http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Happy Reading

thesteelerdealer
12-29-2014, 12:47 AM
Just watched a NFL Executive on ESPN who sits on the Rules committee. And he said that the Ref might have looked at Bell as a Upfield runner in that situation, so he could deem Bell as not defensless. However, he said that there is no getting around that Nelson clearly Launched himself Helmet first at a offensive players lower extremity. He said ANY player who leaves his feet in a launching position at a player..whether he is running upfield or catching a pass while in the air at a players lower extremity IS committing an ILLEGAL action. And said player should have been given a penalty.

So that ends this discussion. Maybe Nelson didn't Illegally hit a defenseless Bell. But he clearly launched Helmet first at Bell's lower extremity. And that is Illegal people.

Craic
12-29-2014, 12:47 AM
Alex Kozora retweeted
Joshua Harris @JoshHarris25 -
·
Le'Veon texted me and said he's good. Overall a great night. #SteelerNation #WeRunTheNorth

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

That's some good news if he's being truthful and not just hopeful.

X-Terminator
12-29-2014, 01:20 AM

Nope, he is correct. Once the receiver actually catches the ball and begins to run, he is considered a runner and no longer a receiver, and does not have the same protection. It does not matter if it's a RB catching the ball or a WR. The only way that penalty would have been called is if Vereen was hit basically right as he caught the ball and was not running with the football. If he caught the ball and then ran, there should have been no penalty on the play.

steelreserve
12-29-2014, 02:51 AM
It's definitely correct that there's no rule against hitting a BALLCARRIER in Bell's situation, no matter which position he happens to play.

However, I think we've all seen plenty of cases where the definition of "ballcarrier" is interpreted pretty arbitrarily depending on how hard the hit looked. A guy could take 15 steps after the catch and then get blown up by the safety - if it looks too violent, always the chance that you get the catch-all "personal foul, unnecessary roughness." The quarterback can be anywhere on the field and if you get a pinky on him, roll a D10, random chance of "personal foul, unnecessary roughness." Yeah, it's only SUPPOSED to apply to very specific situations, but that's not always what you get. Guys notice that and aim low more often regardless of the situation.

Shitty rules, applied inconsistently, leading to consistently shitty plays. That's what we have here.

86WARD
12-29-2014, 05:33 AM
Ben also had a competent extra blocker with Bell in there too. That attempt at "blocking" by Archer on the play Ben threw the INT was a damn joke. We're losing a LOT more than just a RB with Bell. The Ravens are going to be unleashing the hounds as far as their pass rush goes. And they're getting Ngata back. Never thought I'd say this, but thankfully Spaeth is back.

This is what I am most worried about...Suggs may gave a field day...

Moose
12-29-2014, 06:10 AM
I'd say let Harris start and see what he can do. We are definitely going to need Bell to go deep in playoffs and if we can sneak a win against the rat's without using Bell we'll be all the better.

GBMelBlount
12-29-2014, 07:19 AM
I don't like it, but I don't think it was illegal.

I don't think it was either.

and with regard to healing time I hyperextended my left knee 3 times (karate, basketball and football) and while it was very painful the recovery time can significantly vary based on the severity.

I really don't think there is any way of knowing until they tell us.

Damn.

The Bark
12-29-2014, 08:05 AM
All I know is Dri "speed bump blocking" Archer is not the answer.

steel striker
12-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah we are all holding are breath on this for Bell man I hope he is ok. I hate how the game is now but, it's the new Roger/NFL. I'm concerned about the Rats on Sat. and, I hope Josh can block better than Acher. If not Heath will be a blocker for the entire game. Plus Ben has to be real sharp to get this win.