PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Walker fined for leg whip

stillers4me
12-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Walker who blatantly tried to upend Roethlisberger with a leg whip late in the third quarter of Sunday’s game, pleaded his innocence afterwards to the media............

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/12/report-chiefs-dt-vance-walker-fined-8268-leg-whipping-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger/

st33lersguy
12-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Not enough. Should have exceeded $20,000

fansince'76
12-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Let's see...

Ramon Foster = 15-yard penalty at time of infraction and $8,268 fine for his involvement in a fight which was precipitated by the actions of an opposing player.

Vance Walker = no penalty at time of infraction and $8,268 fine for throwing a leg whip that could have wound up being a serious injury.

Seems fair. :coffee:

tube517
12-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah seems equivalent to calling your spouse from the sidelines. :sarcasm:

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

HollywoodSteel
12-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Let's see...

Ramon Foster = 15-yard penalty at time of infraction and $8,268 fine for his involvement in a fight which was precipitated by the actions of an opposing player.

Vance Walker = no penalty at time of infraction and $8,268 fine for throwing a leg whip that could have wound up being a serious injury.

Seems fair. :coffee:

I get your point of view here, but remember, I'd rather not have Goodell or his minions making judgement calls about this kind of thing. It will end up screwing us more often than helping us. Better that a uniform system of fines is in place. At least the NFL is admitting that they made a mistake by not calling the leg whip at the time. And as far as Foster goes, I'm glad he stuck up for his teammate, but throwing the helmet was a mistake that put the spotlight on him. He lost his cool. It happens, and he probably should have to pay a price for that.

On the other hand, if we could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the leg whip was intentional then Walker should receive a suspension for that dangerous act. I suspect it was intentional, but in the long run I don't want the NFL leaping to conclusions like that minus more proof than we have here. We've seen what that kind of thinking on the part of the NFL looks like, and it does not equate to justice being served.

I am all for INTENTIONALLY flagrant acts being punished more harshly than other acts, and you could make an argument that this one was intentional. But I'd rather the precedent be to err on the side of innocence when we really can't tell for sure.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2014, 03:06 PM
It was more instinctive than malicious imo.

However I still think fine should have been much higher.

Buckinnuts
12-27-2014, 07:51 PM
thats because it was agaiinst Ben...not brady, peyton or rodgers

thesteelerdealer
12-27-2014, 07:54 PM
thats because it was agaiinst Ben...not brady, peyton or rodgers

If it would have been James Harrison who was flagged for that Leg whip on any of those 3...I'm sure the penalty from Goodell would have been " Lethal Injection "

st33lersguy
12-27-2014, 08:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQVBfcjx6d4

Roger Goodell uses the random number generator shown from 2:16-2:43 in this clip to determine player fines

Lady Steel
12-27-2014, 11:36 PM
It was more instinctive than malicious imo.

I don't know how it could have been instinctive when it's against the rules. From what I saw, it was purposeful, and I'm glad he was fined for it.

Craic
12-28-2014, 06:41 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24669652/nfl-fine-schedule-troy-vincent-details-fine-appeal-process

Can we stop the ignorance now? Oh, if anyone bothers to read it, it is Merton Hanks who decides to discipline, including levying fines.

Now, FS, yes, I agree with you that the schedule needs to be reviewed and more dangerous actions getting a bigger fine. But let's also remember that players get fines based on a season's cumulative acts. So a tap against a QB that should barely get a fine, might get a fine ten times more than a leg whip because that's the fourth time the player went head first into a QB. It is NOT a one to one, infraction = fine, but a season's cumulative infractions = fine.

That doesn't negate your point, however, that certain fines seem harsher than others that seem more dangerous, or equal to fines that really aren't equivalent. Just that there may be more to the differences than first thought. (Don't know, I haven't checked).