PDA

View Full Version : Wide receiver comparison

st33lersguy
12-25-2014, 11:05 AM
I was thinking about AB and Bryant, then a thought came to me that those two were similar to Ward and Burress. AB and Ward both being the shorter receivers but putting up bigger numbers between the two, and Burress and Bryant both being the taller vertical threat wide receivers. Anyone else see this?

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2014, 11:27 AM
uh, no. Ward is way slower, chippier, and physical. Burress, for as crappy as he was at utilizing his size (although he was pretty good once he went to the giants), Bryant is way worse, but he's only a rookie so its forgivable for now. And Bryant is way faster

zulater
12-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Revisit this next year. Comparison might be a little closer then.

That said of the 4 I'll take AB over any of them. Ward had tremendous intangibles, but Antonio is on his way to be one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history.

Craic
12-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Revisit this next year. Comparison might be a little closer then.

That said of the 4 I'll take AB over any of them. Ward had tremendous intangibles, but Antonio is on his way to be one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history.

But which two would you take? First reaction is to say Ward. But I don't know if their roles would be too similar compared to Bryant or Burress. I think I'd still take Ward and Brown.

ALLD
12-25-2014, 01:59 PM
AB is best YAC, Swann best acrobatic WR ever. Stallworth was more workman like. Ward, most physical.

HollywoodSteel
12-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Ward is one of my favorite all time Steeler (mainly because he was a football player first and foremost and a WR second). But I really suspect Zu is right about AB being better. Not only can AB change a game at any time from anywhere on the field, everything I've read about him - his work ethic, how he practices, etc. - tells me that he could absolutely be one of the all time greats.

Numbers aside, there are certain things he does that I just don't see from other WRs. He might not have the height or strength of a Megatron, but AB just can't be shut down the way other WRs can by a great corner. This really came into focus for me last year after Joe Haden had shut down Megatron and A.J. Green TWICE. I heard an interview with Haden that really impressed me about how he studies everything about the WRs he covers, but he just could not shut down AB. And the biggest surprise for me was that AB flat out destroyed Haden on a bomb for a TD, and then just kept on getting open all day.

I have no idea what Bryant will ultimately be, but in our offense with our QB, I don't think I'd trade AB for any other WR in the league.

Dwinsgames
12-25-2014, 05:35 PM
since we go 3 wide as often as any other passing situation I will go with AB -Ward-Bryant ... ( Bryant same basic size as Plax but 4.34 is a deal breaker over 4.59 all other things being relatively equal )

ALLD
12-25-2014, 07:52 PM
All time I would go Swann, AB, Ward.

Craic
12-25-2014, 10:42 PM
since we go 3 wide as often as any other passing situation I will go with AB -Ward-Bryant ... ( Bryant same basic size as Plax but 4.34 is a deal breaker over 4.59 all other things being relatively equal )

Yeah, I think you're right. Early Plax had too many head-issues as well.

Texasteel
12-25-2014, 10:53 PM
If your putting together a Steelers WR list I think Stallworth would need to be in the conversation.

86WARD
12-26-2014, 01:15 AM
At this stage it's not even close. AB >>>>>>>> Ward and Ward is one of, if not, my favorite players of All-Time. Ward was one of the hardest working guys out there and did the most with what he had (and more.) he may have been the slowest WR in the history of the game as well...lol. All-time, if I could take any trio? At this point...1. Stallworth, 2. Brown, 3. Ward. There really shouldn't be much debate IMO. Stallworth has to be on the list...he's the best Steelers WR of all-time.

one side only
12-27-2014, 09:28 AM
No love for Elbie Nickel?

T&B fan
12-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I think you're right. Early Plax had too many head-issues as well.

yes he did . shit the man shot him self in the leg . IQ not so much .

Craic
12-27-2014, 01:31 PM
yes he did . shit the man shot him self in the leg . IQ not so much .

Funny thing is, I can understand that happening. It comes from a single bad decision to carry a gun in a pocket, instead of a holster. Then, you go to pull out your wallet or car keys or whatever, and BANG! You're +1 in holes in the leg, and —2 in years remaining in the NFL.

Dwinsgames
12-27-2014, 08:41 PM
If your putting together a Steelers WR list I think Stallworth would need to be in the conversation.

well if we are going all time ...sure add Stallworth and may as well add Swann too since we carry 5 WRs

would be a hell of a group ...

Swann
Stallworth
Ward
Brown
Bryant

a WR for every situation that I would not want the task of covering 1 on 1

thesteelerdealer
12-27-2014, 08:47 PM
I think they are more like " Troy Edwards " & " Limas Sweed "...Oh except they actually have talent!!

Lady Steel
12-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Funny thing is, I can understand that happening. It comes from a single bad decision to carry a gun in a pocket, instead of a holster. Then, you go to pull out your wallet or car keys or whatever, and BANG! You're +1 in holes in the leg, and —2 in years remaining in the NFL.

I think it comes from a single bad decision to have illegal possession of a firearm. Not funny.

smokin3000gt
12-28-2014, 12:18 PM
SWEEEEEDDD!!

:chuckle:

Butch
12-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Ok so top 5 WRs IMHO Stallworth, Swan, Ward, Santonio and Brown in order of play only not ranking them.

I put Santonio there because when he was with us he was a playmaker. He was nothing when he left us, but he and Ben played Street ball like no other, and he was a helluva returner as well.