PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have only one goal

stillers4me
12-25-2014, 07:02 AM
We know the Steelers can lose to anyone, anywhere. That has been well-established. But unless the New York Jets or Tampa Bay Buccaneers suddenly materialize on the January calendar, there's nothing to worry about there.

The relevant question is this: Can the Steelers beat anyone, anywhere?

Does this team have a reasonable chance to win the Super Bowl?

Two months ago, in the wake of a humiliating loss at Cleveland, that question would have been preposterously funny. The Steelers looked dead. This was their wake by the lake. The Browns were dancing on their graves. Nobody's laughing now, unless they're watching Johnny Football highlights.........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/7426964-74/steelers-tomlin-mitchell#ixzz3Muk5x9ux

Lady Steel
12-26-2014, 12:01 AM
Yes. :ranger:

fansince'76
12-26-2014, 07:31 AM
The Steelers are alive and well. And yes, absolutely, they have a reasonable chance to win the Super Bowl. That's not a prediction. I still believe the Steelers' undoing will be their pass defense. Specifically the cornerback position.

This is where I'm at as well. The offense is Super Bowl-caliber. The defense, well...

stillers4me
12-26-2014, 07:41 AM
This is where I'm at as well. The offense is Super Bowl-caliber. The defense, well...

I'm at the "anything can happen" stage. We won a superbowl with an elite defense and a mediocre offense. Now we have the polar opposite. This defense is just starting to make the big stops. And we are healthy for the first time in years. Ben and James are both on missions. Nobody wants to have to play these new Steelers in the playoffs.
http://blog.bearstrong.net/max256/uploaded_images/magic-8-ball-who-knows-789037.png

fansince'76
12-26-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm at the "anything can happen" stage. We won a superbowl with an elite defense and a mediocre offense. Now we have the polar opposite. This defense is just starting to make the big stops. And we are healthy for the first time in years. Ben and James are both on missions. Nobody wants to have to play these new Steelers in the playoffs.

Good point. Our OL in '08 was absolutely horrible - arguably even worse than our secondary is now. My heart says they can do it, but I still wouldn't bet my mortgage on it. :chuckle:

Edman
12-26-2014, 08:58 AM
The Steelers won in 2008 with one of the worst Offenses in history and no running game whatsoever. The O-Line was a joke, and our WR's outside of Hines was average, too. Our Offense in 2008 was basically two guys: Ben Roethlisberger and Hines Ward.

How did they do it? The Offense did just enough in the postseason. Guys like Holmes stepped up.

How will this team do it with a mediocre Defense? The Defense just has to do just enough.

The Steelers Offense is the key, not the Defense.

The X-Factor for these Steelers is Ben Roethlisberger. He may not admit it, but we all know what this is. The man is on a mission of vindication to prove he is an upper echelon quarterback. Ben not only needs to return to the Super Bowl, but win MVP too. The Steelers are officially HIS team now. No more "Ben wins because of his Defense", now it's "Steelers win BECAUSE of Ben."

His first step was accomplished. The Steelers are back in the playoffs and won WITHOUT a top-ranked Defense. In fact, it's a very mediocre defense. Ben and the Offense are the men of the team now. Our hopes rest with them.

stillers4me
12-26-2014, 09:02 AM
We have a playoff spot..........we can knock the Bengals down a few notches..........I'm just going to enjoy the ride for how ever long it lasts! This is just the beginning of the new Steelers era!

Yeah.... I'm a homer and proud of it! :heh:

HollywoodSteel
12-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I heard some "experts" discussing the AFC playoff teams on the radio, and while everyone agrees that NE is the most talented team of the bunch, the Steelers might actually have the best shot at beating the Seahawks if they can manage to get to the Super Bowl (and Seattle does as well). The Steelers would have to be at the top of their game in all three phases, no question, but the X factor that the Steelers have is that their offense (when it's truly clicking) can't be shut down in the traditional way by just winning individual match ups. Ben's ability to extend plays and AB's ability to get open, or take a short pass and score, isn't something you can really prepare for. You can draw up on a chalkboard how to beat Manning or Brady, and if your defense is talented enough you can pull it off. The Steelers just happen to pose a unique threat in this way. If the Steelers D can do just enough, and get a few lucky bounces go their way, the offense could possibly put up enough points to come out ahead.

Not that I think we have a great chance of getting to the big game. But just something to think about.