PDA

View Full Version : With the loss of his mother, Steelers' William Gay steps up against domestic abuse

stillers4me
12-24-2014, 05:42 AM
Brady McCollough / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette The holidays bring extra-complicated emotions to the Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh, so all the more reason to be festive.
On this night, freshly wrapped gifts are tucked underneath a large Christmas tree, and the spicy smell of barbecue wafts in the warm air coming from the kitchen as “White Christmas” plays softly from small stereo speakers.

The 17 women and 13 children are here because they were considered to be in immediate danger. They are safe for now, and that is to be celebrated. But they are also scarred, separated from their families and friends at the time when they need them most. The shelter can comfortably take about 40 survivors at a time, which employees know is not enough. Last year, they had to turn away 700 people, ushering them to similar facilities across the region.

Victims stay until the shelter can find an affordable landing spot for them, usually 45 to 60 days. The names change often, and the hope is that the transiency of the population means more lives are being changed for the better.

“Hey ladies! Will’s here!” yells a staff member.

This night should be special. Steelers cornerback William Gay is here to serve his annual holiday dinner. He likes that each time he visits the shelter, he is greeted by new faces carrying untold stories of bravery...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/local/region/2014/12/23/Steelers-player-domestic-abuse-platform/stories/201412230069

ALLD
12-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Hell of a year Billy Gay is putting on the field. It's a long way away from the time he used to get run over and toasted. 3 Pick 6s this season is an amazing achievement.

Craic
12-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Very good article. Thanks for sharing it.

st33lersguy
12-24-2014, 12:46 PM
My respect for Gay increased substantially

Psycho Ward 86
12-24-2014, 01:16 PM
i hope he wins that walter payton award