PDA

View Full Version : Steelers say corners rounding into shape

stillers4me
12-24-2014, 05:16 AM
Sure, the Bengals have great pedigree in their secondary. Five of the Bengals' six cornerbacks -- Leon Hall, Terence Newman, Dre Kirkpatrick, Adam Jones and Darqueze Dennard -- were first-round picks by either Cincinnati or another team.
The Steelers? They have relied heavily on three journeymen: Will Gay, Brice McCain and Antwon Blake. The latter two, Blake and McCain, weren't even on the radar at the beginning of the season, but they've been pressed into extended service only after injuries/sub-par play from veteran starters Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen.

Gay, in his second stint with the Steelers, was a fifth-round pick in 2007 and is easily the most highly-decorated among the bunch with three interception returns for touchdowns this season. McCain was Houston's sixth-round pick in '09. Blake wasn't even drafted.

A mismatch? Not necessarily, say the Steelers..........

Read more @ http://burgh.us/rf3

ALLD
12-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Steelers have a "No-name" secondary. If they create a turnover every game we have a chance to go deep into the playoffs.

NCSteeler
12-24-2014, 09:07 AM
This secondary sucks no matter the names. I think they are flying a little high after holding KC to a low score. What a joke, KC sucks at WR and QB. They are due a couple of 80 yard bombs this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
12-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Remember those articles about Cortez Allen and Brice McCain rounding into shape after holding the jaguars to a low score?

That was cute.

st33lersguy
12-24-2014, 10:33 AM
This secondary sucks no matter the names. I think they are flying a little high after holding KC to a low score. What a joke, KC sucks at WR and QB. They are due a couple of 80 yard bombs this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The secondary gave up 300 yards through the air to this pass offense and allowed a conversion on 3rd and 16 while the front 7 had 6 sacks and shut down Jamal Charles so the secondary did not even have a good day

polamalubeast
12-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Not forget that Alex Smith has had a very rare 300 yards passing against the steelers

The red zone defense was amazing,the pass rush was great with 6 sacks, but it was far from perfect....The defense has stayed too long on the field and it was their fault(The steelers offense have had only 6 drives in this games!!!!)

fansince'76
12-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Alex Smith was Alex Smith. That's the main reason why KC got FGs instead of TDs.

Although I am a homer optimist, deep down I know that our offense is going to need to score 40+ a game for us to have a realistic chance in the playoffs.

SteelerFanInStl
12-24-2014, 03:08 PM
The secondary gave up 300 yards through the air to this pass offense and allowed a conversion on 3rd and 16 while the front 7 had 6 sacks and shut down Jamal Charles so the secondary did not even have a good day

Exactly.

Texasteel
12-25-2014, 01:03 AM
I hope this doesn't mean that they will bypass CB in the draft again this year.

86WARD
12-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Let's remember, on a positive note, it's much, much, MUCH easier for a QB to get a 300 yard passing day than it used to be...so to say Alex Smith had 300 yards passing...not really that big a deal. Having said that, yeah, the CBs aren't that great. They may be "rounding in to shape," but they are still pretty square...maybe a square with dull corners?

86WARD
12-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Alex Smith was Alex Smith. That's the main reason why KC got FGs instead of TDs.

Although I am a homer optimist, deep down I know that our offense is going to need to score 40+ a game for us to have a realistic chance in the playoffs.

This...

st33lersguy
12-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Let's remember, on a positive note, it's much, much, MUCH easier for a QB to get a 300 yard passing day than it used to be...so to say Alex Smith had 300 yards passing...not really that big a deal. Having said that, yeah, the CBs aren't that great. They may be "rounding in to shape," but they are still pretty square...maybe a square with dull corners?

Alex Smith has had one 300 yard passing game since early 2012 and none all year while playing the Jets, Raiders twice, and Titans

fansince'76
12-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Alex Smith has had one 300 yard passing game since early 2012 and none all year while playing the Jets, Raiders twice, and Titans

Well, the defense did do a good job of keeping Jamaal Charles in check, so that's something, I guess.