PDA

View Full Version : Pirates surprise, win bid for power-hitting Korean SS Jung-Ho Kang

vader29
12-22-2014, 12:27 PM
The Piittsburgh Pirates pulled a surprise, winning the bidding for power-hitting Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang, sources said.

The winning bid was reported to be $5,002,015.

The Pirates and Kang will now try to negotiate a deal. Reports have suggested he may be amenable to a three- or four-year deal for around $5 million per year. There is a 30-day window to negotiate.

Pittsburgh wasn't seen as a likely contender for Kang since its infield looks pretty solid, especially after picking up Sean Rodriguez to back up shortstop Jordy Mercer. It also has Neil Walker for second base and Josh Harrison for third base. But Kang has big-time power, and he hit 40 home runs in 117 games for the Nexen Heroes last year, and he is seen as versatile.

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24910042/pirates-pull-surprise-win-bidding-for-power-hitting-korean-ss-kang

X-Terminator
12-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Da fuck??? The Pirates actually won a bid for a foreign prospect? OK, so you know my skepticism meter has immediately sounded. Hitting 40 HR in Korea isn't the same as hitting 40 HR in the majors, so watch him turn out to be a complete bust.

fansince'76
12-22-2014, 01:53 PM
...he hit 40 home runs in 117 games for the Nexen Heroes last year...

For some reason, this came to mind...

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/05/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-team-copy.jpg

:chuckle:

Hindes204
12-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Da fuck??? The Pirates actually won a bid for a foreign prospect? OK, so you know my skepticism meter has immediately sounded. Hitting 40 HR in Korea isn't the same as hitting 40 HR in the majors, so watch him turn out to be a complete bust.

Lol...I always love your optimism

X-Terminator
12-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Lol...I always love your optimism

Well, it's the truth. The Korean League is a completely different league from the majors. It's an offense-heavy league, and any numbers there are inflated as a result. Kind of like a prospect tearing up the PCL, where many games are played at high altitude and the ball travels further. I am not expecting Kang to put up anything close to those numbers in the majors against way better pitching that he's ever seen in Korea, and no one else should either.

Plus, the fact that the big-market teams didn't break the bank for him should also sound warning alarms, because you'd think the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or one of the Chicago teams would have paid a lot more than $5 million for his rights if they thought he was another superstar-in-waiting. Though they did outbid the Cardinals, so that's something, I guess.

Hindes204
12-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, it's the truth. The Korean League is a completely different league from the majors. It's an offense-heavy league, and any numbers there are inflated as a result. Kind of like a prospect tearing up the PCL, where many games are played at high altitude and the ball travels further. I am not expecting Kang to put up anything close to those numbers in the majors against way better pitching that he's ever seen in Korea, and no one else should either.

Plus, the fact that the big-market teams didn't break the bank for him should also sound warning alarms, because you'd think the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or one of the Chicago teams would have paid a lot more than $5 million for his rights if they thought he was another superstar-in-waiting. Though they did outbid the Cardinals, so that's something, I guess.

I actuall agree with you for the most part. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could smack 20-25 though. It's a pretty low risk move too, considering. If it works, we get a good short stop for below market value (he will get signed for around $5M a year)....and if he doesn't work out, we still have A solid infield already in place. Mercer isn't the greatest, but he's good enough

X-Terminator
12-24-2014, 03:25 PM
I actuall agree with you for the most part. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could smack 20-25 though. It's a pretty low risk move too, considering. If it works, we get a good short stop for below market value (he will get signed for around $5M a year)....and if he doesn't work out, we still have A solid infield already in place. Mercer isn't the greatest, but he's good enough

I'll gladly take that for $5 million a year. I do like how the roster is shaping up, though. They just need one more starting pitcher.

vader29
01-09-2015, 02:35 PM

ALLD
01-09-2015, 02:53 PM
He has a great slugging percentage.

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Kim-Jong-Un-3-e1411018093627-665x385.png

vader29
01-16-2015, 09:55 AM

Hindes204
01-17-2015, 05:19 AM
4 years, $11M. I really like this signing, good to see the club taking some chances. This puts our payroll close to $100M, glad to see them finally spending some money.

Lady Steel
01-17-2015, 10:20 AM

PNC Park looks so cold, sad and lonely. I can't wait until Spring Training!

X-Terminator
01-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Wow, the Pirates literally can't lose with that contract. I have doubts that he will be able to have the same success over here that he did in Korea because of the better pitching in the majors, but even if he doesn't, it won't cost the Pirates very much at all on top of the $5 million posting fee. Well done.

Hindes204
01-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Wow, the Pirates literally can't lose with that contract. I have doubts that he will be able to have the same success over here that he did in Korea because of the better pitching in the majors, but even if he doesn't, it won't cost the Pirates very much at all on top of the $5 million posting fee. Well done.

I am literally clapping right now because of your post, lol. I agree 100%. I think it's an absolute steal with little to no risk. What a great move

X-Terminator
01-17-2015, 03:10 PM
I am literally clapping right now because of your post, lol. I agree 100%. I think it's an absolute steal with little to no risk. What a great move

Don't get me wrong, I still despise Bob Nutting, and am still hesitant to give that man a dime of my money. But I'll also give credit where credit is due, and I'm glad he's finally deciding to loosen the death grip on his wallet, getting close to the magic number of a $100 million payroll.

Hindes204
01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still despise Bob Nutting, and am still hesitant to give that man a dime of my money. But I'll also give credit where credit is due, and I'm glad he's finally deciding to loosen the death grip on his wallet, getting close to the magic number of a $100 million payroll.

I think this signing puts them right around $95 million, much better than a decade ago comparatively

X-Terminator
01-17-2015, 06:07 PM
I think this signing puts them right around $95 million, much better than a decade ago comparatively

Whatever Walker, Alvarez and Worley get in arbitration will put them well over $100 million, probably close to $115 million. Yes, a definitely a far cry from a decade ago.

steelerdude15
01-18-2015, 05:15 PM
I like the signing too. We have more depth and who knows what this guy will do here.