PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB James Harrison might be open to returning in 2015

Psycho Ward 86
12-21-2014, 10:15 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/12/report-steelers-lb-james-harrison-might-open-returning-2015/

Aditi Kinkhabwala Twitter:
James Harrison asked if he's coming back next year. Tried to pass buck, say older son doesn't want him to. Son piped up "I didn't say that!"

Lady Steel
12-21-2014, 10:17 PM
:lol: @ his oldest son. Out of the mouths of babes.

I wouldn't be opposed to James coming back for another season. I don't know if his body can handle it, though.

Steeldude
12-22-2014, 02:10 PM
:lol: @ his oldest son. Out of the mouths of babes.

I wouldn't be opposed to James coming back for another season. I don't know if his body can handle it, though.

I think if they rest him more often it would work out. Perhaps play him on 70% of the plays. Rest him when the Steelers have a large lead.

86WARD
12-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Give him one of those "never have to practice" deals too...

X-Terminator
12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Give him one of those "never have to practice" deals too...

Sign him after training camp, then tell him to just show up for work on Sundays (and Mondays too). Works for me.

Steelman
12-22-2014, 03:59 PM
James Harrison defies Roger Goodell AND Father Time.

steelreserve
12-22-2014, 04:30 PM
I sure would be glad to see that. Would be nice to have the depth at OLB, since Worilds is probably gone and we still don't know if Jones is any good or a waste.

Craic
12-22-2014, 04:43 PM
I think Harrison has shown that he can come in and contribute as a backup - fill in the gap during injury - oh crap we need a spark! moments. I wasn't for bringing him back as an every-down player, but as a solid backup and veteran to keep the LBs on track and help them learn the Lebeau system I'm all for it.

GBMelBlount
12-22-2014, 04:47 PM
I think if they rest him more often it would work out. Perhaps play him on 70% of the plays. Rest him when the Steelers have a large lead.

I agree.

I am absolutely amazed by his contributions this year and would love to see them figure out a way to keep him involved again next year.

T&B fan
12-22-2014, 06:19 PM
I think Harrison has shown that he can come in and contribute as a backup - fill in the gap during injury - oh crap we need a spark! moments. I wasn't for bringing him back as an every-down player, but as a solid backup and veteran to keep the LBs on track and help them learn the Lebeau system I'm all for it.

good for the locker room also

HollywoodSteel
12-22-2014, 07:29 PM

This is exactly right. Will he ever be as good as he once was? No. Will he be as good next year as he was this year? Probably not, but with an offseason and training camp to get his head and body focused on it, who knows?

But the thing about James is, on game day he forgets how old he is. And he brings that intimidation factor that we used to have all over the defense, but is mostly gone now. I think Troy, Ike and the Beard are most likely done (or probably should be) after this year. It makes J.H. the last of that group and the one who is most likely to keep bringing it as long as he still has a pulse (and can still squat 9000 pounds). There's just a little something extra to Deebo, and anyone who saw the Hard Knocks Bengals year knows exactly what I'm talking about. Remember the arm wrestling moment? It isn't so much that James won, it's that he won before it even started. The way he flew across the room and slammed his elbow to the table excepting the challenge with the most bad-assed confident glee I've ever seen... it was more than intimidating, it was just a foregone conclusion in his (and almost immediately everyone else in the room's) mind that he was going to win. There was no other possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

This, and James Harrison himself, will never get old in my mind:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap2000000234998/Hard-Knocks-Harrison-arm-wrestling-champion

Lady Steel
12-22-2014, 11:41 PM
As long as they don't put James in as fullback again, I'm good.

tube517
12-22-2014, 11:56 PM
I hear there is an open position for backup long snapper.

zulater
12-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Sign him after training camp, then tell him to just show up for work on Sundays (and Mondays too). Works for me.

No if you're going to bring him back you have to have him signed by the opening of training camp. No question his early play this season was effected by a lack of "football conditioning". If you want to sign him in the spring and limit him during OTA's that's fine too. And yes limit his practice load during the week and maybe even give him 3 or 4 games off during the season.

But truthfully I hope he goes out on a high note after a successful playoff run this year.

I just don't want to see him go out like Troy.

Craic
12-23-2014, 03:57 PM
I hear there is an open position for backup long snapper.

Even mentioning that's worth a good beating.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2014, 05:34 PM
No if you're going to bring him back you have to have him signed by the opening of training camp. No question his early play this season was effected by a lack of "football conditioning". If you want to sign him in the spring and limit him during OTA's that's fine too. And yes limit his practice load during the week and maybe even give him 3 or 4 games off during the season.

But truthfully I hope he goes out on a high note after a successful playoff run this year.

I just don't want to see him go out like Troy.

I know what you're saying but I don't think it will be the same thing. Troy has been the lynchpin of this defense for so long that when he slips it really affects scheme and everything. Harrison isn't even technically the starter anymore so even if his skills degrade quickly, it will be sad, but we were already (sort of) prepared for it.