PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger On State Of Football: ‘NFL’s Got To Protect Its Investments’

Lady Steel
12-16-2014, 11:58 PM
PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) – Following a key road victory against the Atlanta Falcons that has his team one win away from clinching a playoff berth, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger joined “The Cook and Poni Show” for his weekly “Ben Roethlisberger Show.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/12/16/roethlisberger-on-state-of-football-nfls-got-to-protect-its-investments/

You can hear the full interview here: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/audio/the-ben-roethlisberger-show/

Ben sounds like he has a cold or somethin'. :nervous:

fansince'76
12-17-2014, 12:08 AM
One of the plays from this week’s game that has gotten the most attention is the clean hit linebacker Jason Worilds put on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan that was flagged for roughing the passer.

Roethlisberger weighed in on the hit saying it was clean, but that he doesn’t mind the league protecting its quarterbacks.

“Obviously, we didn’t like it because it was a penalty against our guys,” Roethlisberger said. “When I talked to Clete [Blakeman] the referee, he said it happened so fast he didn’t feel like he led with the crown of his helmet, he just felt like he hit him a little bit too high. You can’t be mad at a guy that made a judgment call like that in a split-second situation. Everyone’s human, there’s going to be mistakes.”

I sincerely doubt Ben would be as charitable had the call on Worilds wound up being the difference between winning and losing the game. It WAS the difference between a punting situation and an eventual TD and it WAS the wrong call. Period.

Texasteel
12-17-2014, 02:43 PM
How about protecting the investors, namely, the fans. Fans want to see real football. Not a bunch of weak assed Refs that have the shot first, and think later mentality.

steelreserve
12-17-2014, 04:53 PM
How about protecting the investors, namely, the fans. Fans want to see real football. Not a bunch of weak assed Refs that have the shot first, and think later mentality.

Exactly. Every time someone makes a tackle and they update the down/distance graphic next to the score, my instinctive reaction is "Oh, shit, another flag." That's messed up. I want football, not Lawyerball.