PDA

View Full Version : Juarez drug war death count thread

tony hipchest
08-22-2010, 11:47 PM
1 dead in Mexico shootout on border with El Paso

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gMi5B2USfJStXxfqgWWr2xjRYpOgD9HO9SOO0

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico — A gunbattle erupted between Mexican police and gunmen near the Rio Grande on Saturday, killing one person and prompting U.S. authorities to close a highway that runs along the border in El Paso, Texas.
There were no reports of bullets crossing into the U.S. side, El Paso police Detective Mike Baranyay said.
The gunmen attacked a municipal police patrol on a boulevard in Ciudad Juarez next to the border river, said Ramon Salinas, a spokesman for Mexico's federal police.
The fighting escalated when federal police rushed to help, he said. One gunman was killed and three municipal police officers were wounded.
El Paso police closed that city's border highway for about 30 minutes because of the shooting. City police said the U.S. Border Patrol asked for the shutdown.
Doug Mosier, a spokesman for the Border Patrol, said Paisano Street was closed "in the interest of public safety." He said that to his knowledge, it was the first time a street in El Paso has been shut down because of a shooting in Mexico.
Traffic was halted on a stretch running from downtown El Paso to the city's northwest, passing the University of Texas-El Paso, which overlooks the border.
my brother teaches at UTEP and runs the art museum. he lives several blocks away, in the historic district of Sunland Heights. his house is literally a few hundered feet from I-10 and the rio grande that separate the US from mexico.

anyways his neighborhood was shut down because of this. he got some good video posted on his facebook. it was only 2 minutes of the 30 minute gunfight (said he eventually had to run for cover).

he said atleast 15 bullets crossed the boarder, and described it as an actual war zone.

Bullet strikes UTEP; Natalicio: Campus not target

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_15863324?source=pkg

UTEP police believe a stray bullet from Saturday's shootout in Juárez may have hit a campus building, and El Paso police are investigating a report that a stray bullet from the incident struck a vehicle in El Paso.
A single bullet struck Bell Hall on the campus of the University of Texas at El Paso sometime Saturday night, UTEP President Diana Natalicio said. UTEP police believe the bullet may be related to to the shootout in Juárez.

The El Paso properties are only several yards from the border in some places.
Roberto Cardona, a neighbor, was in his front yard stirring a pot of pork cracklings. A Rottweiler stood guard next to him.
"We worry about this all the time, but there isn't much we can do about stray bullets," Cardona said. "A couple of weeks ago, we watched a man carrying an AK-47 standing across the border while three of his friends tried to cross illegally. That's why I keep this big dog here, in case someone tries to break into the house."

It was another violent weekend in Juárez. There were 16 homicides Saturday and another 16 on Friday, according to information from Chihuahua state police. There had been at least one more homicide by Sunday afternoon.sitting in the front yard cooking pork rinds. that is SO el paso. :chuckle:

suprisingly it is one of the safest cities in the US with only 3 reported homicides for the year so far.

death count for 2010 in juarez is up to 1800.

steelerdude15
08-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Should we send U.S. troops in there and just get rid of them all? I mean I know we're in the middle east, but we can't have this continue to spill onto our soil.

Mattsme
08-23-2010, 12:28 AM
sitting in the front yard cooking pork rinds. that is SO el paso. :chuckle:

"Chicharron" :yuck2:

My first day in El Paso, wanting some authentic Mexican food, I stopped for lunch at a Mexican Restaurant. It was in a fairly nice area, so I figured I was safe. Basically you picked the ingredients, and they made your burrito. I pointed to what I thought was chicken, and asked what it was. "Chicharron," he said. Figuring I just heard him wrong or he had a strange Mexican accent, I wrongly assumed that meant chicken. I took one bite and went directly to Burger King.

Later that day I met the translator that was hired for me, and she explained what I had really tasted. She couldn't understand why I didn't like it.

Mattsme
08-23-2010, 12:35 AM
On a more serious note, yet another act of terrorism goes largely unnoticed, despite that fact that it occurred within a mile of our border. And actually spilled over this time.

Americans like drugs I guess.

Godfather
08-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Americans like drugs I guess.

Easy solution.

End the War on Drugs. Then the cartels will be out of business.

Vincent
08-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I've said it before. I'll say it again. Legalize drugs. Put it under FDA scrutiny. Sell them at ABC stores. Tax the hell out of them. "The market" will flock to "primo @#$%".

People inclined to use drugs are going to get drugs. If we're going to spend tax dollars in any attempt to "control" drugs, then control them and get them out of the hands of criminals.

1800 dead in Juarez already in 2010???!!! Airburst a low yield weapon.

Now lets get back on that damn mosque.

beSteelmyheart
08-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Too bad we can't take some of the billions being spent on useless wars overseas, bring our guys home, fortify our borders once & for all & let the scumbags south of the border kill each other-who cares? How much money are we spending to rebuild countries overseas when we should be rebuilding our own country & empowering our own people!
I agree w/ Vincent ..Legalizing pot would be a great start!