PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Steelers mvp

polamalubeast
12-15-2014, 03:11 PM
We will know next week who will be the steelers mvp, so who is your steelers mvp this year?

It's going to be Ben,Brown or Bell

zulater
12-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Obviously it will be one of the 3 you put on the poll. I think the Steelers team vote will give the award to Bell. I think this board will end up with Ben as the team MVP. One other solid candidate, though a clear cut 4th that I wouldn't have minded seeing on the poll was Lawrence Timmons. While the defense has been bad overall his play has been very good.

Now for my vote? Damn, I could split it 3 ways. Brown is having the best year of any receiver in Steeler history. One of the best years for any receiver in history for that matter. As Ben goes the team goes. And Bell is the best back in the AFC this year by far. Damn! Hard to choose just one. :noidea:

Going AB. Been consistently great, where Ben has had some down games. LeVeon real close, but I can't ignore what Brown does. Antonio has my vote.

steelreserve
12-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Bell all the way. That guy has brought a huge new dimension to the offense, and is such an upgrade over the Dwyer-Redman-Jones-Mendenhall Army of Fail that it's not even close.

zulater
12-15-2014, 03:51 PM
You can also make the argument for Ben and it would go like this. While Brown and Bell would qualify as player of the year. Ben is the Most Valuable player in as much as how Ben goes is how the Steelers go. Bell could have a sub par game, as he did yesterday, ( though no fault of his own) and the Steelers can still win. The Steelers built up a 21 point lead against the Colts before AB ever saw the ball. But if Ben is off his game this ship is going down. Therefore even though the consistency is with the other guys the intrinsic value of Ben is greater than either of them. Ergo Most valuable. .

Count Steeler
12-15-2014, 04:10 PM
8 games this year Ben had 0 or 1 sack. MVP Coach is Munchak.

Since we can't give it to the O Line, I think you have to give it to Bell. Perhaps the most consistent Steeler all year and didn't take any stupid penalties (at least not that I can remember).

Ben would be my second.

Brown third.

Craic
12-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Obviously it will be one of the 3 you put on the poll. I think the Steelers team vote will give the award to Bell. I think this board will end up with Ben as the team MVP. One other solid candidate, though a clear cut 4th that I wouldn't have minded seeing on the poll was Lawrence Timmons. While the defense has been bad overall his play has been very good.

Now for my vote? Damn, I could split it 3 ways. Brown is having the best year of any receiver in Steeler history. One of the best years for any receiver in history for that matter. As Ben goes the team goes. And Bell is the best back in the AFC this year by far. Damn! Hard to choose just one. :noidea:

Going AB. Been consistently great, where Ben has had some down games. LeVeon real close, but I can't ignore what Brown does. Antonio has my vote.

STOP THE PRESSES! WE AGREE! :chuckle:

Honestly, I think your assessment is right on. You could choose any of the three and have no gripes from me. They've all had stand out performances this year, but I think of all of them, AB has been more consistently stand-out Most Valuable throughout the season.

zulater
12-15-2014, 04:46 PM
STOP THE PRESSES! WE AGREE! :chuckle:

Honestly, I think your assessment is right on. You could choose any of the three and have no gripes from me. They've all had stand out performances this year, but I think of all of them, AB has been more consistently stand-out Most Valuable throughout the season.

Well I look to be wrong on at least part of it. Early results seem to be indicating Bell is going to take the vote on this board. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Any of the 3 are worthy choices.

st33lersguy
12-15-2014, 04:49 PM
AB for his production, consistency, and the fact that he is opening things up for the other receivers

one side only
12-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Ben is like Russell Martin, and Bell is like Andrew McCutcheon. Cutch was the best player last year, but Martin was most valuable.

Steeltreal
12-15-2014, 05:06 PM
AB , seems almost no one can shut him down.

stillers4me
12-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Ashley Roethlisberger for team MVP! She stuck her dainty boot up Ben's hiney and straightening out his life! And without Ben, this team goes nowhere!!

Devilsdancefloor
12-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Bell without him no one respects our play action

polamalubeast
12-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Ashley Roethlisberger for team MVP! She stuck her dainty boot up Ben's hiney and straightening out his life! And without Ben, this team goes nowhere!!

Yes, but the Steelers would also be a bad team without Brown or Bell

Dwinsgames
12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
IMO an argument can be made for any of the 3 Bs , however the strongest of them all for me is Bell ..

Teams leading rusher

teams second leading receiver

team record holder for yards from scrimmage

picks up the blitz as well as anyone they have had in recent memory

he enables Ben to do what he does by many times forcing 8 in the box so less defenders to defend the passing game

complete player at all levels and makes plays at all levels , has also taken over games and carried the team to victory something we have not seen since JB from the RB pos .

st33lersguy
12-15-2014, 06:35 PM
My mvp is Mike Mitchell (lol)

ALLD
12-15-2014, 06:40 PM
No Bell, Ben gets sacked more times when he drops back to pass.

Godfather
12-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Definitely Bell. Without him we might as well not even try on third and short. Bell also gives us the ability to take the air out of the ball with a fourth quarter lead.

zulater
12-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Something to consider. At his current pace Antonio Brown projects to 131 catches for 1712 yards. Those numbers would represent the 2nd number of catches for a single season ever (143 Marvin Harrison 2002) and the 6th highest total for yards in a single season. (Calvin Johnson 1964 in 2012) Issac Bruce is 3rd all time with 1781 which is within reach. A historically great year.

polamalubeast
12-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Something to consider. At his current pace Antonio Brown projects to 131 catches for 1712 yards. Those numbers would represent the 2nd number of catches for a single season ever (143 Marvin Harrison 2002) and the 6th highest total for yards in a single season. (Calvin Johnson 1964 in 2012) Issac Bruce is 3rd all time with 1781 which is within reach. A historically great year.

Brown's season is underrated since Brown had his breakout year last year, so his season is not a surprise

For Bell this is his breakout year

Dwinsgames
12-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Bell is on pace for 1460 yards rushing and an additional 875 receiving ( 2335 yards from scrimmage ) maybe more ?

pretty dang high on the all time list as well http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/yds_from_scrimmage_single_season.htm

- - - Updated - - -

to many team record performances by this offense in one season by 3 different team members #firehaley

Psycho Ward 86
12-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Ben is like Russell Martin, and Bell is like Andrew McCutcheon. Cutch was the best player last year, but Martin was most valuable.

This, so much. Is Bell better among his peers at the same position compared to Ben? Yeah. Is he more consistently dangerous? Probably. But Ben is still playing the definitively most important position in football and playing at a high level.

Hypothetical situation: Have Bruce Gradkowski at QB and Bell at RB or Big Ben at QB and Legarrette Blount at RB (He would still be around if he was getting touches)? Easy decision.

Jaucer
12-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Didn't read all the replies so excuse me if I duplicate. For me it has to be Bell. Teams had to respect what he offers. That opened up the play action like not seen in awhile. Then add in his pass blocking when needed gives Ben the extra 1/2 second to make the throw to AB or whomever. Add in Bell's ability to slide off at the right time and give Ben the release valve he has been missing since forever. Yes as Ben goes so goes the team, but Bell helps Ben go in more ways than one. Not even close IMHO, Bell hands down.

Jaucer
12-15-2014, 10:25 PM
This, so much. Is Bell better among his peers at the same position compared to Ben? Yeah. Is he more consistently dangerous? Probably. But Ben is still playing the definitively most important position in football and playing at a high level.

Hypothetical situation: Have Bruce Gradkowski at QB and Bell at RB or Big Ben at QB and Legarrette Blount at RB (He would still be around if he was getting touches)? Easy decision.
Hypothetical, if either one would have happened I think the Steelers are screwed. Although from everything I've seen this year if they needed a few games I would much rather have Grad fill n for a few games with Bell carrying the load then have Ben without Bell this year. Bell really has been that much of an outlet for Ben. Blount never would have been the same outlet. There has been many a time that Ben dumped it off to Bell and Bell gained a 1st down or more. It's what has been missing from this offense for quite some time.

tube517
12-15-2014, 10:29 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10847999_607049489421496_2689641790078472530_n.jpg ?oh=9a0aa8ffc4575cc3daca02db1f254cb5&oe=5511DE1E&__gda__=1430699174_b22cabc8988ef054b698675d0025bc0 9

st33lersguy
12-15-2014, 11:07 PM
You can make a case that without any of the following three players, this doesn't happen, but without AB, teams put 8 in the box to stop Le'Veon, key in on him more as a pass catcher out of the backfield, and Martavis doesn't find himself getting open for 7 TDs. Also if Gradkowski was in, I feel that he could get yards completing short passes to AB then watching AB turn it into a longer gain. It also should mean something that AB seems to be the most consistent player. Bell got shut down a couple and Ben had some shaky games, but Brown has been at least somewhat productive in every game he is played. Though most of the voters disagree with me, what we can all agree on is that all have been vital to success, all have elevated the offense in substantive ways, and without one of the players, the team has a minimal shot at the playoffs, and without all 3, they are 2-12 right now

Lady Steel
12-15-2014, 11:24 PM
I wish the Killer B's as a whole could get it, but I voted for Le'Veon.