PDA

View Full Version : Preseason - Week 2 Thoughts

Chidi29
08-22-2010, 11:30 PM
2-0 and it feels so good. Even if it's the preseason.

First Half

- Jumping right into it, here are Sepulevda's hangtimes and distances: 4 seconds (to the five but nulified by penalty), 4.1 (to the 13, would be to the eight if kicking from usual 30 instead of 25 because of the penalty), 4.05 (11) 4.06 (one yard deep), 3.92 (3).

- And Reed's lone kickoff: 4.07 (5).

- Based off of that one game, and it is only one game, I don't see a big difference in the numbers. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Reed because of the experience he has. Can't understate that. Hangtime is always more important, too. I don't really care how far you can kick it if you're kicking line drives. But if you wanted to go with Sep, I'm not putting up much of a fight.

- Somebody was talkin' about someone's mamma. The Ike fight, needless to say, was dumb and Tomlin was none too pleased when he spoke about it in his press conference, stupid post-snap penalties being the first thing he talked about. And for the record, Ike threw the first punch.

- Keenan Lewis replaced Ike.

- On the play followng Ike's ejection, look at where Troy is. He's lined up at RCB. He wasn't actually playing corner, he did some roaming, but that's one of the few places I've never seen him line up. Nose tackle probably being the only other one :)

- One of the little things I liked from Brown on his first punt return: He switched hands so the ball was to the sideline as he was about to go out of bounds. Those are the minute details Everest and company are looking for. Especially good for a rookie though Brown is no stranger to return duty, doing it extensively at Central Michigan.

- We showed an empty set (After Mendenhall motioned out of the backfield) with 2 WR to the right and 2 TE to the left. Don't think I saw that one last year.

- Check out what Tuck did on the 3rd and 21, the play after he had that big TFL. Flozell shoves him to the ground like a ragdoll. Flozell is Lou Ferrigno's twin.

- Quick side thought: Maybe Jonathan Scott is getting all these 1st team reps to motivate Flozell, who reportedly doesn't take the preseason too seriously. Just a thought because I've never viewed Scott as starter material. Then again,I guess you could say that about a good chunk of this line.

- Aaron Smith's sack once again proves that as a defense, if you can get on offensive lineman on the wrong page, you can shut down the whole play and create a sack. We run a stunt with Kiesel, Shaun O'Hara picks him up thinking he can pass Smith to the back, but the back also comes up to take on Kiesel. Smith comes in free and takes down Bomar.

- Interesting use of Hartwig. He played two series, came out for one (with Pouncey as his replacement), played for two more, and then sat the rest of the day. Did Hartwig get dinged? Or did the coaching staff not like the extra pushing and shoving Pouncey did at the end of the first series he was in?

- On the pick, Ben can't make that throw. He's on the run and doesn't have his feet set. Too risky of a throw to make that far downfield, unless your guy is wide open (which Wallace wasn't).

- First play of the 3rd series: Toss to Mendenhall that Osi blows up. Walllace is supposed to crack down and hit the end, but he ends up running into Starks. Osi comes in free.

- Only negative on Brown's returning: He had one bobble. Ball security is concern 1, 2, and 3, and while that doesn't seem like much, you know the coaching staff chewed him out for it.

- Gay and Madison were first team gunners.

- Ran two FB dives with Redman. Redman played a little fullback, throwing a block or two as well, but he's not a run blocker type of guy.

- Sounds like Tomlin yelled, "Way to hit that hole Rashard!" late in the first quarter.

- Ben's pass to Spaeth. Vintage Ben.

- Spaeth almost dropped that pass. Vintage Spaeth.

- On the Ben sack: Starks quit on the play. He assumed the ball would be out of Ben's hand quickly, like the play was designed to be, and just gave the end a jolt before stopping. Unacceptable by Max.

- Don't know if anyone else caught it coming back from commerical. Colon was actively involved with Kugler and the other lineman. Think he had a clipboard in his hand. He might not be able to play the rest of the season, but he's certainly going to be involved with the team.

- How about Farrior running down Steve Smith on that catch he had? I know Smith had to get up and start running again, but Farrior was a solid 30 yards back at one point. Maybe he's faster than we thought.

- New offensive line look: Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Essex, Scott

- More of the same for Flozell. Good run blocking, and actually handled his own against Tuck who is one of the better pass rushers in the game. Once he locks on, even in pass protection, it's over. Sure, he got beat once or twice, but that's going to be expected. I think we're being too hard on a guy who is limited in what he can bring to the table and on the decline in his career.

- Bailey replaced Woodley with Worilds replacing Harrison late in the 2nd quarter.

- Ran a couple of Full House packages with Tank and Spaeth as blockers.

- Leftwich had one series with the 1st team offense.

- Full second team line: Hills, Foster, Pouncey, Legursky, Scott

- 1st team defense was very sloppy their last time out. Missed tackles, took poor angles to the ball, and lost their backside contain.

- Keenan Lewis might have suffered his concussion at the 1:35 mark in the 2nd quarter. He got up slowly. He did stay in the game until the interception so it can't be too serious.

- Yup, horrible clock management at the end of the 1st quarter. No clue what the thought process was there.

Second Half

- O-line: Hills, Urbik, Pouncey, Legursky, Scott

- 1st half overview of some of the lineman:
- Teams have been doing nothing but bullrushing Kemoeatu and with success. I know the bull rush can be tough to stop and you're never going to look "good" against it, but he's been getting driven back into the pocket and more importantly, the tackle has been able to disengage and go after the QB.
- Hartwig actually didn't look that bad. Had a couple of good run blocks, moving linebackers out of running lanes.
- Essex still can't pass protect. Lineman are able to get under him and drive him back and he got beat pretty badly on what looked to be a swim move.

- Excellent blocking by Legursky and Scott on the Redman touchdown. Legursky crashed down and Scott took care of a defender to his right. Redman hit the hole with a full head of stream and got those all important yards after contact to fall into the end zone.

- Don't sleep on Renauld Williams. Very quietly having a solid preseason. Solid tackler on special teams who, and correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't missed one yet. Something Tomlin took note of after the Lions' game, congratulating him when he was walking through the tunnel. He was solid again against the G-Men.

- O-line change: Hills, Foster, Pouncey, Legursky, Scott

- The line weared down their defensive line in the 3rd quarter. Not an athletic bunch, but a couple of maulers.

- Will Allen is a solid tackler. Pickup no one has really talked about but might be doing a lot of over the course of the season.

- Hills was really good in pass protection. Quick on his feet and even if the end got a step, Hills was sure to seal the edge.

- Ziggy didn't play very well. He got swallowed up against the run a few times and stopped moving his feet on a few occassions. I'm not looking for him to be a monster in the backfield, he is a 3-4 end after all, but has to do better than he did.

- Burnett had two penalties. Ugh.

- O-line: Hills, Foster, Legursky, Urbik, Scott

- Looked like Butler and Sanders were gunners early in the 4th quarter.

- Gibson didn't come in on defense until the 3rd team was in. Don't expect much from him his rookie year. He isn't even guaranteed a roster spot.

- Stevenson Sylvester made some eye-popping plays late in the game. But if he can't get his technique right (Said to play too high and an inconsistent tackler), he won't get many chances to make those splash plays.

- Last o-line change: Adrian Jones, Foster, Legursky, Urbik, Scott

- Dixon took some snaps from Urbik on the sidelines, but Kraig did not play any center.

- Emmanuel Sanders has already shown to be a willing blocker.

- Stefan Logan and Butler were gunners on the last punt.

- Worilds, as others have pointed out, was non-existant. Could not get off blocks against the run and found himself getting pushed back nearly every single time. It was his first game and because of the hamstring, doesn't have as much time in practice; couple that with him being raw, and it's no surprise he played so poorly. We'll see how he responds.

Injury Front

Lewis suffered a concussion, as stated. He did not play in the second half. Redman had a rib issue of some sort but it obviously wasn't a big deal as he returned a few plays later. Pouncey had a thigh bruise but returned to the game. Don't know the status of Dwyer. McClendon probably won't play against Denver but hopefully will return to play in Week 4. That's just my guess though, nothing that Tomlin said yesterday.

Players who did not play

QB Charlie Batch
RB Jonathan Dwyer (shoulder)
WR Isaiah Williams
OG Dorian Brooks
OT Kyle Jolly
NT Steve McClendon (MCL sprain)
LB Brandon Renkart (Unless he got a couple snaps on special teams)

Chidi29
08-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Three other notes I forgot to add:

- Dixon was a much better pocket passer yesterday than Week 1. He stayed in the pocket, actually went through his progressions (instead of taking off if his first read wasn't there), checked it down to Vincent when he could've opted to run it, and made some stick throws.

- I'm shocked to say this, but Frank Summers was a good lead blocker. Week 1, he'd hit the linebacker and lose his balance. His blocks were clean and effective to help pave way for Redman and company. Threw some nice cut blocks in there, too. He's making strides. And fast.

- Urbik finally showed why we drafted him. Moved guys around all game long and was an asset in the running game. It's about time.

7willBheaven
08-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Nice summary! Two things i will say....one Scott it a lot better than most give credit for...he started on the right and left (i think...or just left) of the Bills like last year that was plagued with injuries, and was a bright point for them. I think he can be a starter. And finally your statement about Gibson...

"Don't expect much from him his rookie year. He isn't even guaranteed a roster spot."

...I think he will contribute some his rookie year...possibly more than Worilds...last week he was brought in with the 2nd team and looked really good...not sure if he got many (if any) tackles/etc...but the push he got/etc looked really good...better than Worilds did. Just because he was brought in late doesnt mean he isnt good...they want to see how different combos of players do and such...next week we could see Worilds and Gibson out first with the 2nd team and Bailey (who ive always thought was more of an ILB than an OLB) brought in at the end. Gibson is pretty much a lock to make the team...there is only 1 guy on the bubble and thats Sylvester...and it comes down to if they keep 8 or 9 LBs...i think they keep 9...even if he or one of the other rookie LBs dont get to dress every week.

Chidi29
08-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Nice summary! Two things i will say....one Scott it a lot better than most give credit for...he started on the right and left (i think...or just left) of the Bills like last year that was plagued with injuries, and was a bright point for them. I think he can be a starter. And finally your statement about Gibson...

"Don't expect much from him his rookie year. He isn't even guaranteed a roster spot."

...I think he will contribute some his rookie year...possibly more than Worilds...last week he was brought in with the 2nd team and looked really good...not sure if he got many (if any) tackles/etc...but the push he got/etc looked really good...better than Worilds did. Just because he was brought in late doesnt mean he isnt good...they want to see how different combos of players do and such...next week we could see Worilds and Gibson out first with the 2nd team and Bailey (who ive always thought was more of an ILB than an OLB) brought in at the end. Gibson is pretty much a lock to make the team...there is only 1 guy on the bubble and thats Sylvester...and it comes down to if they keep 8 or 9 LBs...i think they keep 9...even if he or one of the other rookie LBs dont get to dress every week.

But that's just it. The Bills' line was a revolving door last year. I'm pretty sure they were close to calling me to ask if I could add depth.

I don't think either rookie OLB has shown much of anything. Gibson a little more than Worilds, and that's only because Worilds is so raw. I noted last week that he got swallowed up against the run and didn't show a quick first step. I would have liked to seen Gibson stay with the second team instead of playing behind Patrick Bailey (Who is my favorite player and a quality guy in punt coverage, but offers nothing as an actual linebacker). I'm not saying Gibson won't make the team; I'm just not going as far as to carve it in stone because he hasn't shown anything. Remember that Fred Gibson didn't make the team and he was taken in the 4th round like Gibson.

Galax Steeler
08-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Thanks Chidi nice read.

Austin87
08-23-2010, 04:18 AM
Nice read Chidi.

Steeldude
08-23-2010, 08:51 AM
it looks like another season with an inconsistent O-line

SteelMember
08-23-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm liking these Chidi. Keep it up.

A couple thoughts on your special teams breakdown:

Like you, I'm not seeing to much difference on kickoffs between D-Sep and Reed, but it is still early. I say that because watching Reed over the years, he usually does a decent job on kickoffs early, but seems to lose yardage as the season progresses. By mid-season it's not unusual for kick to start coming down at the 15 or 20, then we go to the "directional/squib" mentality. I think Sep may be better for the long haul. Besides, getting some leg action early seemed to help warm him up for punting duties. He had some nice ones in there.

And he did fight through a stiff arm to force the returner out of bounds on that one play. Over-pursuit once again gives a return against the grain, and the kicker is the last line of defense. ugh. We need to be better in our lanes.

As far as Brown, I thought he did a good job, but not enough to give reason to cut Logan at this point. The thing I liked the best was his vision to try and hit the seams straight up the field instead of taking it to the sidelines. That shows me he has confidence with both his speed, and the blocks in front of him. Ball security was also a positive.