PDA

View Full Version : Tight ends fill vanishing role

stillers4me
12-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Steelers reserve tight ends Matt Spaeth and Will Johnson have combined for eight receptions this season. For longtime starter Heath Miller, that’s one good game.

But Spaeth and Johnson aren’t on the roster to contribute to the passing game. They are part of a dying breed in the NFL — the blocking tight end.

At a time when coaches are constantly searching for the next Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham, Spaeth and Johnson make their living as blockers in an offense that has rediscovered its running game...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/12/12/Steelers-notebook-Tight-ends-fill-vanishing-role/stories/201412120090

Lady Steel
12-13-2014, 11:51 PM
“I don’t think they get as much credit as they deserve,” right tackle Marcus Gilbert said. “If you watch film, those guys finish their blocks even better than the linemen."

:chuckle:

Miller, who has been one of the best all-around tight ends in the game for a decade, remains a big part of the passing game. He has 52 receptions for 584 yards.

Always reliable Heath. :tt02:

GBMelBlount
12-14-2014, 06:48 AM
"I don’t think they get as much credit as they deserve,” right tackle Marcus Gilbert said. “If you watch film, those guys finish their blocks even better than the linemen."

Gilbert is definitely qualified to make this statement.