PDA

View Full Version : Veteran LB Moats excited to be part of playoff hunt

stillers4me
12-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Arthur Moats is happy, for the first time in his career, to be playing meaningful football in December.

The Steelers are happy to have him for it, too.

Moats signed as a free agent from the Buffalo Bills this past offseason. With his modest salary ($795,000) and short-term deal (one year), Moats was expected to be merely a backup and special teams stalwart.

But injuries to Jarvis Jones and James Harrison — signed after Jones initially was injured — have thrust Moats into a more prominent role. The fifth-year pro has started nine of the past 10 games, including Sunday at Cincinnati when he provided the best statistical game of his career:

Two sacks, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7328595-74/moats-tomlin-jones#ixzz3LUi8sGDv

Count Steeler
12-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Although a vet, he should have a good 8 years left in the tank. Hope the Steelers sign him to a longer contract. Bye, bye Worilds.

86WARD
12-12-2014, 06:40 AM
I'd take Moats over Worilds everyday. I'll give a little credit to the front office...he's been a nice signing so far.

steelreserve
12-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Although a vet, he should have a good 8 years left in the tank. Hope the Steelers sign him to a longer contract. Bye, bye Worilds.

I'd be super happy with that. He'd be an upgrade over Worilds (who wouldn't) at a fraction of the price. I was worried he'd be one of those guys who signed for a year and it was basically an audition for a bigger contract somewhere else, but I think he's been good enough to re-sign but not so good that he prices himself out of our range. Decent, not necessarily great, but we could use a guy like that. All four linebackers can't be first-round picks making huge money; it doesn't work.

I'd take Moats over Worilds everyday. I'll give a little credit to the front office...he's been a nice signing so far.

I'll give them a little credit, but not much. They took the scattershot approach this offseason, and he's the one that stuck (I guess you could call Moore successful, though in a limited role, and McCain at least neutral).

On the other hand, you have the free-agent army of fail with Mitchell, DHB, and Cam Thomas, plus a few really questionable non-FA decisions such as Justin Brown, Landry Jones, Dri Archer, and of course the Cortez Allen contract. In hindsight, giving Worilds the tranny tag was the right move, although take that as you will because it didn't exactly turn out as a "win" for us, just a less spectacular failure than if we'd turned him into Woodley II. It's beenabout as hit-and-miss as it gets.

86WARD
12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Don't get me wrong...the front office has f'ed up more signings than one can remember. But amongst the criticism, I think it's only fair to give them credit as well. Just like their drafting of Bell was superb...but that doesn't take away that they've pretty much botched the drafts that would currently be paying off for this team if they were done "right."

steelreserve
12-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Don't get me wrong...the front office has f'ed up more signings than one can remember. But amongst the criticism, I think it's only fair to give them credit as well. Just like their drafting of Bell was superb...but that doesn't take away that they've pretty much botched the drafts that would currently be paying off for this team if they were done "right."

Yeah, they should get credit for it, but IMO it's more of the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" kind of credit.

On balance, the players that they gave the most money to this offseason are all among the least productive on the team, in some cases the entire league. That's exactly backwards from what you're supposed to do. Yeah, they had a couple nice ones mixed in, or more like "decent."

Overall, out of the roughly $33M a year in contracts - that's triple the Woodley deal - that they gave out to Allen, Mitchell, Worilds, Gilbert, Thomas, DHB, Moats, Blount and Moore, they ended up with one OK linebacker and one OK receiver who isn't used much. I think the reaction THAT deserves is more like "Hey asshole! You're doing it wrong."

86WARD
12-13-2014, 05:27 AM
You won't really get an argument out of me. As a whole "portfolio," the front office has been a night,are since about 2007 and that's what is showing now. It's kind of surprising that that combined with the shit they call coaching that this team comes in at .500 every year...they should be a lot worse...lol.

I was just trying to be somewhat "fair."

Hawkman
12-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Seems like nearly every thread turns into a bitch session about the FO, Coaching blah,blah, blah.
Veteran LB Moats excited to be part of playoff hunt This would be THE THREAD TOPIC!!

Dwinsgames
12-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Seems like nearly every thread turns into a bitch session about the FO, Coaching blah,blah, blah.
Veteran LB Moats excited to be part of playoff hunt This would be THE THREAD TOPIC!!

yep it would be ... however one could resume posting where that does not happen at all ..ever ... ( and nobody else has posted since December 6th )

sometimes you have to take the good with the bad .... I remember plenty of threads all turning into O-Line threads back in the day too ....

I know it is easy to forget when its been a posting party of 4 or 5 for over a year

Hawkman
12-13-2014, 10:06 AM
I remember plenty of threads all turning into O-Line threads back in the day too ....

Yep, Didn't care for it then either!

Shoes
12-13-2014, 10:31 AM
I Liked the Moats pickup and would surely dump Worilds to keep him next year. The Steelers still need to draft a LB in the next draft (even tho we still have Zumwalt) , Jones is still an uncertainty. I was very surprised to hear Shaziers teammates don't think he works hard enough, I thought this kid was a worker…hopefully he'll kick it in gear. We certainly don't need any more sluggards. Playing catch up after blowing 2-3 draft classes is going to be a jagger in this teams side for some time.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2014, 12:20 PM
I Liked the Moats pickup and would surely dump Worilds to keep him next year. The Steelers still need to draft a LB in the next draft (even tho we still have Zumwalt) , Jones is still an uncertainty. I was very surprised to hear Shaziers teammates don't think he works hard enough, I thought this kid was a worker…hopefully he'll kick it in gear. We certainly don't need any more sluggards. Playing catch up after blowing 2-3 draft classes is going to be a jagger in this teams side for some time.

yea there where a few of us who liked it , and some believed he had a shot to start at ILB had we not drafted Shazier .. Moats is a quality player and quality person who makes time for the fans on social media and at local hospitals etc ... I am proud to say he is part of the Steelers family just hope it lasts longer than the current year he is under contract