PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign small school small stature CB to PS

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 01:24 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/12/report-steelers-sign-cb-kevin-fogg-practice-squad/

steelreserve
12-09-2014, 01:36 PM
GOOD THING WE'VE STILL GOT LANDRY JONES.

ALSO JUSTIN BROWN!

GBMelBlount
12-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Steelers secondary already plays like they're in a Fogg.

This guy should fit right in.

tube517
12-09-2014, 01:56 PM
- - - Updated - - -

GOOD THING WE'VE STILL GOT LANDRY JONES.

ALSO JUSTIN BROWN!

Don't forget this "steal" at #3:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/013/212/13faf679d85196ec899169baefaef5e3_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75 :wave: :doh:

ALLD
12-09-2014, 02:04 PM
I thought Tomlin was happy with the CBs they have? It was obvious to everybody that the Steelers needed to draft a CB, preferably above the 4th round.

Just in case any Steeler coaches read this board, for the record: the Steelers still need to draft a CB, DL and OL.

I am not claiming to know anything, but I do know to save for a rainy day and all that fire in the defensive backfield is our CBs and S getting torched.

Shoes
12-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Well LeBeau said he wasnt worried about depth at CB. Watch him play Ike on Sunday.

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Well LeBeau said he wasnt worried about depth at CB. Watch him play Ike on Sunday.

Lebeau could lace em up and play better than Ike at this point

Shoes
12-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Lebeau could lace em up and play better than Ike at this point

:chuckle: I think you are right! They have to start Blake.

steelreserve
12-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Don't forget this "steal" at #3:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/013/212/13faf679d85196ec899169baefaef5e3_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75 :wave: :doh:

Believe me, I haven't forgotten about him.

It took about 3.5 seconds after the pick was announced for me to want to punch whichever shitrooster was responsible for it. That's faster than Archer can run the 40, by the way.

Moose
12-09-2014, 04:47 PM
As I said in another thread concerning IKE.....look at the past few games and just about every time the opponent's WR scored a TD, Ike was right BEHIND him. Look at cincy's game, Green was the only player doing any damage to us.....thanks to Ike ! Time to discard Ike. If necessary start cover 2 and take chances with the secondary making the opponent run the length of field to beat us and element the long play to beat us. Ike sucks.

X-Terminator
12-09-2014, 04:50 PM
I thought Tomlin was happy with the CBs they have? It was obvious to everybody that the Steelers needed to draft a CB, preferably above the 4th round.

Just in case any Steeler coaches read this board, for the record: the Steelers still need to draft a CB, DL and OL.

I am not claiming to know anything, but I do know to save for a rainy day and all that fire in the defensive backfield is our CBs and S getting torched.

The Steelers do not need to draft another OL. The 5 guys they have in there right now are working just fine. They need CB and S more than anything else, including DL.

fansince'76
12-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Championship!

NCSteeler
12-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Maybe the steal at #3 can play corner. Maybe he can at least keep up with Julio

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 05:44 PM
The Steelers do not need to draft another OL. The 5 guys they have in there right now are working just fine. They need CB and S more than anything else, including DL.

Foster ( could use an upgrade ) only under contract through next season http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ramon-foster/

Adams ( could use upgrade ) only under contract though next season http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/mike-adams/

Decastro deal also runs out after 2015 http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/david-decastro/

Gilbert ( over payed / under perform / oft injured ) http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/marcus-gilbert/

Beachum ( better suited as a LG than LT but it is what it is ) deal also runs out in 2015 http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/kelvin-beachum/

leaving Pouncey as the only one under contract worth a dam post 2015 season so unless you want to over pay some guys who really should be upgraded we damned sure better draft a Tackle in this next draft and one the following year as well ( should probably get a guard too unless moving Beachum inside )

st33lersguy
12-09-2014, 06:18 PM
1st rounder has to be a CB next draft

bendsteel
12-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, I do not clain to be some kind of guru or anything, but it seems to me that Decastro is playing very well. He pulls really well. I think Bell might agree with me. We got Pouncy and I still hold hope for Adams. I guess you could count me in the "fix the secondary now and d-line next"crowd. If we can keep hanging 25-30+ on teams, then all we need is to fix the D top to bottom. If I am not mistaken I think there is a poster here with the perfect moniker....D Wins Games!

Count Steeler
12-09-2014, 06:40 PM
The emphasis definitely has to be on the secondary, however, we still have to stock a team. OL is playing better, but do they have much more of a ceiling? Can they be a dominant line as is? I don't think so. Still too many whiffs (Foster, Gilbert and Adams).

Plus we need an RB, LB, TE. At least we don't have to waste a 4th round pick on a potential starting QB. Landry has that spot filled for a good 5-6 years.

dislocatedday
12-09-2014, 06:43 PM
With DeCastro being a first round pick, the Steelers can pickup the 5th year option on him after the 2015 season, thus ensuring his services through the 2016 season. I don't think Oline should be the priority in the next draft. I'd prefer a defensive heavy draft, with a focus on the secondary. I'm also hoping the team releases Cortez Allen and Mike Mitchell this offseason. I just don't see how the team can justify $3M roster bonuses to each of them come March. That $6M, plus whatever their base salaries are next season could be spent elsewhere.

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 06:59 PM
what we need ( in no specific order provided the right players are selected )

O-Line as stated above has 1 year remaining for 4 of its top 6 players on roster

OLB has 3 of its top 4 snap count players as FA's after this season ( only Jarvis Jones under contract in 2015 )

FS - we made a huge mistake on Mitchell and it needs rectified ( can Shamarko fill the void ? can he stay healthy long enough to do so ? )

CB do we have anyone worthy of starting there this year let alone next ?

SS - Sorry Troy you have had a wonderful career but its time to hang em up

TE - Health is not getting any younger and his production and reliability wont be easily replaced

RB Bell is a beast no question about it , but we have nothing proven backing him up at this point

that is my take

Texasteel
12-09-2014, 07:44 PM
1st rounder has to be a CB next draft

Not if there are no CBs worthy of a 1st round pick, fortunately I can see several CBs the will go in the first 3 rounds that would make this team better, but still hoping for Williams, and another one in the 3rd, or 4th. I don't agree that we don't need a O-lineman, in fact I see it as a pressing need. We look paper thin on the line, to me anyway, and I am tired of a line that looks very good, on and off. We need consistent play all year. We haven't had that. I would very much like to see us get a CB, safety, OT, in this draft, maybe even a OG at some point.

Shoes
12-09-2014, 07:55 PM
I agree with Dwins and Tex on the Oline. The Adams/Gilbert show just isn't comfortable and a real LT wound make Beech a better player at guard. Lots of needs, how many picks do we have this next draft?

X-Terminator
12-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Fine then, I stand corrected on the OL issue. I still think CB and S are the most pressing needs on the team right now.

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 08:18 PM
I agree with Dwins and Tex on the Oline. The Adams/Gilbert show just isn't comfortable and a real LT wound make Beech a better player at guard. Lots of needs, how many picks do we have this next draft?

7 until comps get handed out ..I suspect a 3rd round comp for Sanders based on production and original draft slotting

Texasteel
12-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Fine then, I stand corrected on the OL issue. I still think CB and S are the most pressing needs on the team right now.

Didn't mean to correct you buddy, and that is just my opinion. I also want a CB, in fact I would like 2 CBs, and a safety. I do have names in mine. As we all know when the draft starts there is no way to tell how things will go. One bad pick and the player we want could fall into our laps. Then again the kid we want could fall the pick before us.

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Didn't mean to correct you buddy, and that is just my opinion. I also want a CB, in fact I would like 2 CBs, and a safety. I do have names in mine. As we all know when the draft starts there is no way to tell how things will go. One bad pick and the player we want could fall into our laps. Then again the kid we want could fall the pick before us.

see last year as prime example ...

also see several years back when Patrick Willis went just before we could nab him and we took the consolation prize ( who ended up being a pretty good player for us ) in Timmons

Shoes
12-09-2014, 08:39 PM
7 until comps get handed out ..I suspect a 3rd round comp for Sanders based on production and original draft slotting

How do they decide who gets what with the comps?

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 08:46 PM
How do they decide who gets what with the comps?

its a mysterious formula of losses vs gains in FA of the prior year , production of those losses and original draft status combined with contract values ....

Texasteel
12-09-2014, 08:56 PM
its a mysterious formula of losses vs gains in FA of the prior year , production of those losses and original draft status combined with contract values ....

Thanks Dwins. Till now I thought I had something to do with a wall full of balloons and a blind guy throwing a dart.

Dwinsgames
12-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks Dwins. Till now I thought I had something to do with a wall full of balloons and a blind guy throwing a dart.

and you could be right !!

since the NFL will not release the exact formula perhaps the fact is there isnt one and wall of balloons and a dart is what is used and they are to embarrassed to say so

GBMelBlount
12-09-2014, 09:14 PM

I agree with YOU Eric.

We have a top 10 line and a top 5 offense right now and the line is STILL improving.

Conversely our defense is horrible.

So other than a TE early which I think we are in desperate need of and MAYBE an offensive lineman in the middle rounds I say ALLD next draft.

My two cents.

Drazo85
12-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Correct if im wrong. Number of players we sign as a free agents from another teams must be lower than number of players who are signed away from us that year. If that number is equal or higher we cant get a complimentary draft pick. The players that are released dont count in that formula.

stillers4me
12-10-2014, 05:29 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Munchak get to pick up a couple of his own guys in the next few years.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Correct if im wrong. Number of players we sign as a free agents from another teams must be lower than number of players who are signed away from us that year. If that number is equal or higher we cant get a complimentary draft pick. The players that are released dont count in that formula.

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.
The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Basically, the league awards 32 extra picks each year, with those picks ranging from rounds 3-7 (not stated above, but a true statement). The number of picks a team may receive is based on the number of free agents they lose; signed free agents cancel out a player lost. Compensation does not figure into this calculation; a player signed cancels out the player lost, no matter the contract either player signs.
Cut players do not count in the number of players lost, because the original team had the option to keep that player. These additional picks are intended to provide compensation only for players who have a contract expire at the end of the year, and a team does not re-sign them.

steelreserve
12-10-2014, 11:57 AM

No, stupid. That's the player discipline process.

fansince'76
12-10-2014, 12:05 PM

No, it's the same method that Goodell uses for discipline...

http://keenetrial.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/dart-throwing-monkey.jpg

No, stupid. That's the player discipline process.

Appears we're on the same wavelength here. I think they're probably one and the same.

one side only
12-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Speaking of player discipline, here's the new policy memo . . .

http://a.espncdn.com/pdf/2014/1210/PersonalConductPolicy.pdf

and flow chart . . .

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2014/12/10/0ap3000000441677.pdf

John Stallworth on player conduct committee.

Texasteel
12-10-2014, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Munchak get to pick up a couple of his own guys in the next few years.

Just a gut feeling, but I think Munchak gets two this year. One higher up in the draft and one of the lower picks.

steelreserve
12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
If they take a lineman other than a defensive tackle in the first round, or even in the second round, I swear I am going to run out and knife somebody.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2014, 06:55 PM
If they take a lineman other than a defensive tackle in the first round, or even in the second round, I swear I am going to run out and knife somebody.

lots of scenarios I have drafted with first pick that to be honest OT was the best possible pick in the second round ( when considering team need and BPA combined )

honestly there are 2 CBs worthy of a first round selection in this draft , if neither are there you almost have to go FS or DE/OLB or hope you can find a trade partner ...

really no CBs with a 2nd round grade from me that I see being there leaving DE/OT as probably the best options ...

3rd and 4th rounds have some interesting CBs prospects ...

need and value have to meet or be close anyways cant just draft a pos for the sake of filling a need if the value is not commensurate to the selection point

steelreserve
12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
lots of scenarios I have drafted with first pick that to be honest OT was the best possible pick in the second round ( when considering team need and BPA combined )

honestly there are 2 CBs worthy of a first round selection in this draft , if neither are there you almost have to go FS or DE/OLB or hope you can find a trade partner ...

really no CBs with a 2nd round grade from me that I see being there leaving DE/OT as probably the best options ...

3rd and 4th rounds have some interesting CBs prospects ...

need and value have to meet or be close anyways cant just draft a pos for the sake of filling a need if the value is not commensurate to the selection point

tell that to the knife

Dwinsgames
12-10-2014, 07:40 PM
tell that to the knife

never met a knife that walked out a door and stabbed anyone without human help ... ask that human how well they would get along with " Bubba" and I think the problem solves itself :)

Texasteel
12-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I have had a OT slotted into the 2nd round for some time. Still playing with the 1st. Trying to trade down may be the wisest thing to do.

steelreserve
12-11-2014, 12:21 PM
never met a knife that walked out a door and stabbed anyone without human help ...

obviously you haven't been on the internet enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9A0HcbPD8