PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Flips in Endzone

Carolina Steelers
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Not a big fan of this hope he dosent hurt himself by landing on his neck or his back. Seems like this is his endzone celebration. Does any one else think this could be dangerous or am I just to old school and maybe hes just having fun!!

O'Malley
08-22-2010, 06:23 PM
He is having fun, but I don't like it either. IMO he needs to find a new low risk celebration.

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't see the big deal, I mean at least it wasn't illegal and he didn't get a penalty for it so let the kid have fun it's pre season.

Merchant
08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Wow.. you guys analyze EVERYTHING lol. The kid's just having a little fun.. geez

Steely McSmash
08-22-2010, 06:44 PM
:dance:I'm ok with it for plays over 50 yards only:dance:

GoSlash27
08-22-2010, 07:17 PM
I wish he wouldn't do that.

BlastFurnace
08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Everyone who is ok with it...will be ok with it...until he breaks his colarbone or separates a shoulder doing it. If I were a coach, that would be the last flip he ever did.

Also, what if some overzealous ref...perhaps a Bill Leavy with an old score to settle...calls taunting on the Steelers for something like that.

SMR
08-22-2010, 07:50 PM
He is having fun, but I don't like it either. IMO he needs to find a new low risk celebration.

I agree. He is still young, but I want him to have a FULL career!

fansince'76
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Seems to me by nature of his profession that he's at risk for injury - serious injury, on any given play. Why tempt fate further by doing flips in the end zone when he scores? I hope he doesn't do it again.

Steeldude
08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't see the big deal, I mean at least it wasn't illegal and he didn't get a penalty for it so let the kid have fun it's pre season.

because that kind of celebration can result in an injury

SteelerSal
08-22-2010, 08:10 PM

I agree..we don't need a freak injury like what happened to Gramatica or Gus Ferrotte.
Didn't Joey Porter hurt himself once in camp doing his sack celebration?

SMR
08-22-2010, 08:12 PM
I agree..we don't need a freak injury like what happened to Gramatica or Gus Ferrotte.

Hope Wallace keeps that in mind and tones it down especially since it is only PRE-SEASON!!!!!

BlastFurnace
08-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Yes, he hurt his knee doing an Indian War Dance after beating some 3rd string Tackle on a sack drill in training camp in...I think...2006. He already had loose cartilige in his knee, but that just made it worse.

touchdownward
08-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I thought if there isn't a defender anywhere close, it was a penalty for celebration. It's deemed unecessary to avoid a tackle on the play and therefore penalized. I'd hate to see our Santonio replacement get injured, especially before the season even starts.

On a related note, Ozzie Smith, SS for the Cards in the 80s, was made to quit doing his backflip on the field to avoid injury.

BPS3akaWirels3
08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW0VuzQ_dL0&feature=related

Shoes
08-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Seems to me by nature of his profession that he's at risk for injury - serious injury, on any given play. Why tempt fate further by doing flips in the end zone when he scores? I hope he doesn't do it again.

+1

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 10:05 PM
And he didn't. It's not like he will do it every TD or ever again this season, it happened it's over and he is ok thats all that matters.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
You guys know what else can result in an injury? Clicking your mouse button too hard.

^That was a relevant comment...

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2010, 11:09 PM

that was freakin hilarious , along with that dumbass owen schmitt bustin up his noggin ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdq_Zde23E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqyyEVGFUo

Shea
08-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I thought if there isn't a defender anywhere close, it was a penalty for celebration.

Nope, individual celebrations, as long as it isn't established a prop was used, is legal beagle. It's when other teammates join in that things get sketchy.

Forget Wallace, I'm waiting for Heath to break out some funky dunk celebration of his own when he scores.

Now that would be something!

Nadroj 20
08-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I've seen too many athletes get hurt celebrating, its happened a few times in baseball this year on walk-off HR's. I've seen it in football too, celebrating then whoops torn ACL or something like that.

I'd prefer him not to do what he did, but you wont hear me say a whole lot about it until he gets hurt....then im pissed :chuckle:

Animal Mother
08-23-2010, 01:52 AM
I also was trying to convince myself that he probably takes much harder hits on the field than falling on his shoulder when diving into the endzone, but it is an unnecessary risk, I'd advise him against it. I think the coaches should say something.

Mattsme
08-23-2010, 02:10 AM
"Act like you've been there before."

Bear Bryant

Galax Steeler
08-23-2010, 03:23 AM
I have no problem with it have fun Wallace.

BuddhaBus
08-23-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm not really worried about an injury, but I thought there was a rule now that a player can't go to the ground on a celebration? Maybe there was a little gray area on Wallace's play because he did have a defender somewhat close by, but the first thing I thought on seeing it was "He's going to get a penalty". I'm all for having fun as long as it doesn't cost the team a 15 yard penalty in the process.

Killer
08-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Anybody that worries about crap like this should go watch soccer instead, football is too rough a sport for you

SteelerSal
08-23-2010, 06:42 AM
It's not a matter of worrying...

Some of you don't have a problem with it right now because he was ok after he did it but if the time were to come and he (or someone else on our team) does it and gets hurt bad enough to miss playing time, you all9who don't have a problem now with it) will be the first to post what a dumbass he was. IMO

I know first hand how rough football is and there is no sense adding any more risk to injury than has to be.

SteelMember
08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
"Act like you've been there before."

Bear Bryant

:thumbsup:

...and that goes for the unnecessary diving into the endzone... I thought they made that a penalty? (taunting)

Killer
08-23-2010, 08:15 AM
You know the real reason all ya'll' are bustin' on Wallace. You don't like seeing a player celebrate - anything. Gawd forbid he grows up like that cocky Holmes MVP guy - anyone shows any emotion, why, why, how dare he! Be humble, eat your vegetables, don't drink or swear till after church..... right

It's just football - scream a little - It's OK - I allow it.

Steeldude
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes, he hurt his knee doing an Indian War Dance after beating some 3rd string Tackle on a sack drill in training camp in...I think...2006. He already had loose cartilige in his knee, but that just made it worse.

so typical of porter. celebrating mediocrity in practice

Steeldude
08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Anybody that worries about crap like this should go watch soccer instead, football is too rough a sport for you

let's say he gets hurt next time, do you continue to let him put the team in jeopardy by doing it again?

Killer
08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Oh stop it.

wah wah wah - "he coulda fell and skinned his knee! ....and.....and.....and I'm tellin MOM!!!!!!!"

More manufactured anxiety - enjoy the game

Devilsdancefloor
08-23-2010, 09:17 AM
my fear is he is thinking to much of his celebration that he doesnt break the plain of the EZ before letting the ball go or a defender smacks it out of his hand

Wallace108
08-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Wallace's flip reminds me of FWP's flip after his run in the Super Bowl. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. Aside from the risk of injury or penalty, it just looks stupid.

SteelerSal
08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh stop it.

wah wah wah - "he coulda fell and skinned his knee! ....and.....and.....and I'm tellin MOM!!!!!!!"

:rofl2:

O'Malley
08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Everyone who is ok with it...will be ok with it...until he breaks his colarbone or separates a shoulder doing it. If I were a coach, that would be the last flip he ever did.

Also, what if some overzealous ref...perhaps a Bill Leavy with an old score to settle...calls taunting on the Steelers for something like that.

Amen! It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt!

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
You know the real reason all ya'll' are bustin' on Wallace. You don't like seeing a player celebrate - anything. Gawd forbid he grows up like that cocky Holmes MVP guy - anyone shows any emotion, why, why, how dare he! Be humble, eat your vegetables, don't drink or swear till after church..... right

It's just football - scream a little - It's OK - I allow it.

Oh stop it.

^^Words of the wise

On another note, this thread is about as productive as the Bruce Arians threads

SMR
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Amen! It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt!

http://i36.tinypic.com/2mw84g5.png

Killer
08-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Wallace's flip reminds me of FWP's flip after his run in the Super Bowl.

There WAS NO FLIP from Wallace - he just sort of jumped in straight and landed on his ass. Just more drama from the drama queens around here.

now back to football

Wallace108
08-23-2010, 12:13 PM
OK, celebratory fall. It still looks stupid. But I agree, back to football.

Steeldude
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
And he didn't. It's not like he will do it every TD or ever again this season, it happened it's over and he is ok thats all that matters.

so because he didn't get hurt this time it's ok to do again and again?

so what happens if/when he gets hurt? what then?

Steeldude
08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh stop it.

acting like a child didn't answer the question. i'll ask you again. let's say he gets hurt next time, do you continue to let him put the team in jeopardy by doing it again?

Killer
08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
There WAS NO FLIP from Wallace - he just sort of jumped in straight and landed on his ass.

OK, celebratory fall. It still looks stupid. But I agree, back to football.

so the whole premise of this thread is bullshit because there WAS NO FLIP!

I rest my case

Carolina Steelers
08-23-2010, 01:23 PM

I rest my case

Dont rest your case just yet, I wasnt just talking about Sat. game he did it all last yr also

Carolina Steelers
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
and for a bullsh*t thread there are alot of responses pro and con!!!

Animal Mother
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think it's bullshit. I think we are going to eventually hear a story about wallace separating a shoulder because he dove in the endzone as celebration and someone should tell him to stop. There are other ways to have fun that don't involve sending a very important player into the air to land on his shoulder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Emmit Smith hurt his neck badly diving into the endzone, it wasn't a celebration, but he over-rotated diving over the pile.

SteelerSal
08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think it's bullshit. I think we are going to eventually hear a story about wallace separating a shoulder because he dove in the endzone as celebration and someone should tell him to stop. There are other ways to have fun that don't involve sending a very important player into the air to land on his shoulder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Emmit Smith hurt his neck badly diving into the endzone, it wasn't a celebration, but he over-rotated diving over the pile.

Great point...I believe Adrian Peterson seperated his should at OU by celebrating and diving in the endzone.

SteelerEmpire
08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I would have turned a filp to if I finally got a pass that I didn't have to stop, turn around, and hustle for...

But on a serious note, what button do you press in "Madden" to make him dive into the end-zone ?

Shea
08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Maybe he should do cart wheels instead.

Killer
08-23-2010, 02:08 PM
and for a bullsh*t thread there are alot of responses pro and con!!!

you must know I'm just keeping it going for my own amusement

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw Ben high-fiving somebody! - call Goodel -suspend him another 6 games!!!!!
He's putting his team in jeopardy!!! - - He could break a finger doing that !!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wallace108
08-23-2010, 02:11 PM

I rest my case

Whatever you call it, it's an unnecessary risk. As others have stated, players have been hurt during celebrations. And if you think it's a bullshit thread, can't you just ignore it. :noidea:

EDIT: Just saw your last post. If it's for your own amusement, then by all means. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/chuckle.gif

Killer
08-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Maybe he should do cart wheels instead.

THERE WAS NO FLIP!

YOU MUST ACQUIT!

Wallace108
08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
:flipoff:

There's a flip for ya. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
08-23-2010, 02:24 PM
i've ran some simulations to determine how safe his celebration was ...7 out of 10 times it ends in disaster.

http://www.freewebs.com/stickillers/flip.gif

MasterOfPuppets
08-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Great point...I believe Adrian Peterson seperated his should at OU by celebrating and diving in the endzone.

actually he broke his colarbone.

SteelerSal
08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
actually he broke his colarbone.

Thanks. I missed your ESPN highlight video of that play, you posted. LOL

Shea
08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
THERE WAS NO FLIP!

YOU MUST ACQUIT!

Oh my God, you think OJ was innocent.

The more you type the more flaws I find.

O'Malley
08-23-2010, 02:45 PM
i've ran some simulations to determine how safe his celebration was ...7 out of 10 times it ends in disaster.

This graffic illustrates the danger perfectly. Notice the detail of the landing, this could really happen. LOL! Now that is good.

On a serious note I am still on the side of caution, why take extra risks. Just hand the ball to the ref and act like you have been there before!

Steeldude
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Oh my God, you think OJ was innocent.

The more you type the more flaws I find.

you will find that killer loves to troll threads with childish nonsense rather than discuss football.

SMR
08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks. I missed your ESPN highlight video of that play, you posted. LOL

:lol:

Shea
08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
you will find that killer loves to troll threads with childish nonsense rather than discuss football.

Bullshit.

Lighten the hell up!

Wallace108
08-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Bullshit.

Lighten the fuck up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

SteelerSal
08-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Let's not go out of bounds. Everyone get back on topic now please.

Shea
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Let's not go out of bounds. Everyone get back on topic now please.

Nobody is going out of bounds.

Some posts are just needed to set people straight.

Shea
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
But if that doesn't fly .... how about Wallace does a strip tease when scoring. :eyebrows:

I'm sure the Commish would love that!

SteelCityMom
08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
But if that doesn't fly .... how about Wallace does a strip tease when scoring. :eyebrows:

I'm sure the Commish would love that!

I vote yes!!! :bananadoggywow:

Wallace108
08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Sheesh, can we please go back to attacking each other? :chuckle:

Wallace108
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Why you should be careful with TD celebrations (watch when it shows it in slo-mo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azgWTq3_dU&feature=related

SteelCityMom
08-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Why you should be careful with TD celebrations (watch when it shows it in slo-mo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azgWTq3_dU&feature=related

Ahahahahaha!!!! Those crazy Canucks!!! :rofl2:

steeldevil
08-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I understand he is having fun, but he can have fun in a lower risk way.

NJarhead
08-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Can't believe there's a thread about this. A co-worker (and Giants fan) mentioned this to me earlier. I told him we (Steelers fans) wouldn't think it was a big deal. I guess I lied. lol

You can thank Madden for the end zone dives/flips, etc. First one I saw was FWP in SB XL.

Craic
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd much rather see him flip in celebration entering into the end-zone, rather than doing stupid celebration dances afterward.

GoSlash27
08-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Nobody here is ripping on Wallace. We're thrilled to have him. All we're sayin' is please don't do that.

SteelerSal
08-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Nobody here is ripping on Wallace. We're thrilled to have him. All we're sayin' is please don't do that.

Bingo!!

Merchant
08-23-2010, 04:56 PM
An 8-page thread about Wallace flipping into the endzone? U guys serious?? ahahaha

Carolina Steelers
08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
when I started this thread I didnt think it would draw this much attention. I guess I was wrong.

Carolina Steelers
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM
I'd much rather see him flip in celebration entering into the end-zone, rather than doing stupid celebration dances afterward.

I agree with that, at least its simple and over with right away.

stillers4me
08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
That was such a bee-yoo-tiful throw and catch that I can hardly blame him. But I do hope they told him to lay off.

SteelerSal
08-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Whatever happened to just a good old fashioned spike of the football? :)

Devilsdancefloor
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Whatever happened to just a good old fashioned spike of the football? :)

how about handing to the ref like you have been there before

SteelerFanInStl
08-23-2010, 08:06 PM

Agreed. I'm surprised that Tomlin hasn't put a stop to it.

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2010, 09:42 PM
9 whole pages of stupidity, except for Killer's posts.

Killer is probably one of the wisest/smartest people on these boards. Quote me on that one.

The Duke
08-23-2010, 10:46 PM

Totally agree

It's not like he's being a jackass like ocho

Plus if Tomlin doesn't seem to have a problem with it then I have no problem with it

Steeldude
08-24-2010, 12:22 AM
how about handing to the ref like you have been there before

now that is the correct answer.

what i find interesting is the people saying it's ok are unwilling to answer the question "what if he gets hurt".

X-Terminator
08-24-2010, 12:34 AM
now that is the correct answer.

what i find interesting is the people saying it's ok are unwilling to answer the question "what if he gets hurt".

You can get hurt handing the ball the ref and then jumping into the arms of your teammates to celebrate. Should we ban that too? Should we just ban celebrating TDs, period?

This is much ado about nothing.

sharkweek
08-24-2010, 01:36 AM
I prefer Barry Sanders' celebration but to each his own I guess.

Wallace108
08-24-2010, 01:47 AM
You can get hurt handing the ball the ref and then jumping into the arms of your teammates to celebrate. Should we ban that too? Should we just ban celebrating TDs, period?

Can you cite one example of a player getting hurt while handing the ball to the ref? :coffee:

shutdown
08-24-2010, 01:53 AM
9 whole pages of stupidity, except for Killer's posts.

Killer is probably one of the wisest/smartest people on these boards. Quote me on that one.

After reading this post I went back to look at Killers post.

Can't say I agree with you on that one. ;)

While I don't mind celebrations like that, im sure you two would be singing a different tune if dude separated his shoulder or something else stupid on that bonehead dive.

Anyone who's played football have done all sorts of celebrations or warm ups and at least once walked away saying "i'll never do that again". That landing was pretty rough for Wallace, and while his others have been better and a bit smoother, im sure that one against the Giants didnt feel all too good.

vasteeler
08-24-2010, 07:28 AM
QUOTE=Psycho Ward 86;42400]9 whole pages of stupidity, except for Killer's posts.

Killer is probably one of the wisest/smartest people on these boards. Quote me on that one.[/QUOTE]

:kissass:

GoSlash27
08-24-2010, 07:42 AM

Nobody's talking about "banning" anything. We're just saying he shouldn't do it. Too many bad things can happen and absolutely nothing good.

Steeldude
08-24-2010, 08:20 AM

i have never heard of a player getting hurt handing a ball to the ref. are you actually comparing landing on your side from 3 yards out to handing a ball to a ref?

so what if he got hurt in this celebration dive? would you continue to allow it? this is your starting WR.

no is saying ban celebrations altogether. we are saying ban stupid celebrations which constitute an unfavorable % of possible injury.

Psycho Ward 86
08-24-2010, 09:27 AM
QUOTE=Psycho Ward 86;42400]9 whole pages of stupidity, except for Killer's posts.

:kissass:[/QUOTE]

he is!

vasteeler
08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
:kissass:

he is![/QUOTE]

oh, i agree. i just like using that smiley

Killer
08-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Now that would make a fine sig!

Drink my shots, bitches!

hahahahahaha

hua

O'Malley
08-24-2010, 12:48 PM
If Killer is not one of the wisest he is one of the funniest.:)

Killer
08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
My flock grows.

This thread should've come with a warning.

http://i.ehow.com/images/a06/d0/lc/managing-change-humor-200X200.jpg

Ha ha!

O'Malley
08-24-2010, 01:43 PM
No it's a mountain now.:)

Killer
08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
tit for tat - that is the way of the karma

You do know I'm an ordained minister.

Don't scare my flock with these chicken little stories- you know how skittish they are around cliffs.

X-Terminator
08-24-2010, 07:26 PM
i have never heard of a player getting hurt handing a ball to the ref. are you actually comparing landing on your side from 3 yards out to handing a ball to a ref?

so what if he got hurt in this celebration dive? would you continue to allow it? this is your starting WR.

no is saying ban celebrations altogether. we are saying ban stupid celebrations which constitute an unfavorable % of possible injury.

I said handing the ball to the ref AND THEN jumping into the arms of your teammates. If you don't think you can't get hurt doing that, I refer you to the MLB player who blew out his knee after jumping into his teammates' arms celebrating a walk-off HR.

Again, this is much ado about nothing. Let the players play and have some fun. Too many people want to turn this into the No Fun League.

CPanther95
08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I would suggest that every time Wallace scores a TD that Limas Sweed does a flip.

stillers4me
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I would suggest that every time Wallace scores a TD that Limas Sweed does a flip.

Who?????????

Steeldude
08-25-2010, 12:57 AM
I said handing the ball to the ref AND THEN jumping into the arms of your teammates. If you don't think you can't get hurt doing that, I refer you to the MLB player who blew out his knee after jumping into his teammates' arms celebrating a walk-off HR.

Again, this is much ado about nothing. Let the players play and have some fun. Too many people want to turn this into the No Fun League.

and what are the odds of getting hurt when doing that compared to jumping from 3 yards out and landing on your side? this is why i said "we are saying ban stupid celebrations which constitute an unfavorable % of possible injury". i am not a fan of players jumping into other players either. these are million dollar players. stupid celebrations do not outweigh their responsibilities to the team.

what if wallace got hurt? would you continue to let him and other players do it? none of you saying it's ok to dive like that has answered that question.

watching and playing football is the fun part to me, not celebrations.

to be fair, you used a baseball player as an example. everyone knows how fragile those girls can be ; )

X-Terminator
08-25-2010, 01:55 AM
and what are the odds of getting hurt when doing that compared to jumping from 3 yards out and landing on your side? this is why i said "we are saying ban stupid celebrations which constitute an unfavorable % of possible injury". i am not a fan of players jumping into other players either. these are million dollar players. stupid celebrations do not outweigh their responsibilities to the team.

what if wallace got hurt? would you continue to let him and other players do it? none of you saying it's ok to dive like that has answered that question.

watching and playing football is the fun part to me, not celebrations.

to be fair, you used a baseball player as an example. everyone knows how fragile those girls can be ; )

I'd say about the same odds as jumping into another player and blowing out your knee on the landing. :noidea:

As far as I know, no one has gotten hurt doing a flip into the end zone like that. Does it mean it can't/won't happen? Of course not. I just do not think it's any more risky than the example I used. Therefore, it's no big deal to me. I would not ban other players from doing it, because making millions of dollars doesn't mean you should turn into a robot and not be allowed to have a little fun. If you get hurt, hey, shit happens. Then again, I'm not a head coach, nor do I run a billion-dollar franchise. My attitude might be different if I was. :wink02: