PDA

View Full Version : How sweet it is: Le'Veon Bell joins Walter Payton in exclusive club

stillers4me
12-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) running back Le'Veon Bell burnished his candidacy for the NFL Most Valuable Player Award by joining the late, great Walter Payton in a most exclusive club.

Bell piled up 235 rushing and receiving yards in the Steelers' 42-21 win over the Cincinnati Bengals (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals), making it the third consecutive game in which the second-year man has accumulated at least 200 all-purpose yards.

Payton, the former Chicago Bears (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/chi/chicago-bears) great, accomplished the feat in 1977. "Sweetness" had been the only player in NFL history to do so before Bell joined him.

"It's an honor to be mentioned with a guy like Walter Payton," Bell said after rushing for 185 yards and two touchdowns and catching six passes for 50 yards and a score. "I've heard a lot about him. Obviously I haven't seen a full game of how he runs, things like that, but I've seen a lot of highlights."...........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/11078/how-sweet-it-is-leveon-bell-joins-walter-payton-in-exclusive-club

polamalubeast
12-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Bell is a draft steal in 2013!

He is the steelers mvp so far this year

Lacy is very good for the packers but Bell is better!

ALLD
12-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Lacy who?

stillers4me
12-07-2014, 06:35 PM

X-Terminator
12-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Bernard's been injured for much of the season, though, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

st33lersguy
12-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Thank you Eddie Lacy's foot. One of the few positives of Kevin Colberts past few drafts

zulater
12-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Got this from a friend of a friend who is a luxary box holder of the Ravens who supposedly has strong business dealings with Steve Bisciotti and claims to have insider access to some degree, if you follow. :lol: Anyway I laugh, but if true this is bad news. According to my source be it what it may, the Ravens are working the back rooms at NFL headquarters trying to get Goodell to suspend Bell for two games this season. They're laying it out that since Bell has accepted a plea already this case has been adjudicated, therefore the punishment should be meted out this year. Hopefully that this is allegedly coming from the Ravens who haven't done the Commish much good lately with the Rice fiasco, it will fall on deaf ears. We can only hope the Patriots don't start pushing this as well.

Texasteel
12-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Bell is too slow, can't accelerate, and has poor vision. Wonder if the people that said that would like to repeat it now.

Shoes
12-07-2014, 07:52 PM
http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/12/07/column-leveon-bell-pittsburghs-latest-superstar/

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Not bad company. Payton is still my favorite all-time non-Steelers player.

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Bell is too slow, can't accelerate, and has poor vision. Wonder if the people that said that would like to repeat it now.

Effin' pothead - shoulda took Lacy! :chuckle:

tube517
12-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Conspiracy!!!!! :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/le%27veon-bell?id=2540175

Strengths
Big, bruising back with power in his lower body but lighter feet than you’d expect give his size. North-south runner effective in one and two-back sets. Strong cuts and a nice burst out of them makes him capable of breaking off big runs when the hole is available. Sets up defenders in the open field to cut away. Flashes some stop-start ability and shake in space that freezes oncoming defenders. Pushes piles with lower body strength. Can lower his pads for contact, churn through tackle attempts to become difficult to bring down due to second and third efforts. Wiggles and pushes through traffic inside to get the extra yard after it looks as though he’s stopped. Possesses a spin move to come off tackles at the second level, maintains balance to keep on moving or at least fall forward for an extra couple of yards. Uses a strong stiff arm in space, as well. Agile enough to jump over defenders trying to cut him down in the open field. Used in Wildcat formation in the red zone. Decent receiver out of the backfield.

Weaknesses
Taller back who presents a big target for defenders to hit, especially when failing to lower his pads going into the hole. Size also limits his breakaway speed and ability to create on his own if challenged by better front sevens.Sub par vision prevents him from seeing cut back lines and sees him running up the back of his lead blocker too often. Pass protection form is inconsistent, has size to handle rushers or at least push them around the pocket, but often moves his feet too slowly or tries to cut instead of setting to anchor. Holds the ball away from his body at times, though he doesn’t fumble very often.

NFL Comparison
LeGarrette Blount :jawdrop2:

Bottom Line
Bell has monster size, but also shows nimble feet. Can make people miss at any level of the field, but doesn't have very good vision. As the season progressed, Bell's lateral agility declined. Bell proved capable of handling a tremendous amount of touches. To become a full-time back though, Bell will need to continue to improve his ability as a pass catcher or become a more consistent blocker, in addition to improving his vision as a runner.

Lady Steel
12-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Bell is a damn beast, and I forgive him for hanging out with Blount.

Congratulatios to Le'Veon. Very well deserved.

- - - Updated - - -

Got this from a friend of a friend who is a luxary box holder of the Ravens who supposedly has strong business dealings with Steve Bisciotti and claims to have insider access to some degree, if you follow. :lol: Anyway I laugh, but if true this is bad news. According to my source be it what it may, the Ravens are working the back rooms at NFL headquarters trying to get Goodell to suspend Bell for two games this season. They're laying it out that since Bell has accepted a plea already this case has been adjudicated, therefore the punishment should be meted out this year. Hopefully that this is allegedly coming from the Ravens who haven't done the Commish much good lately with the Rice fiasco, it will fall on deaf ears. We can only hope the Patriots don't start pushing this as well.

I don't doubt this one bit. If true, I hope it falls on deaf ears, as well. It would be disastrous for us.

Dwinsgames
12-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Conspiracy!!!!! :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/le%27veon-bell?id=2540175

Strengths
Big, bruising back with power in his lower body but lighter feet than you’d expect give his size. North-south runner effective in one and two-back sets. Strong cuts and a nice burst out of them makes him capable of breaking off big runs when the hole is available. Sets up defenders in the open field to cut away. Flashes some stop-start ability and shake in space that freezes oncoming defenders. Pushes piles with lower body strength. Can lower his pads for contact, churn through tackle attempts to become difficult to bring down due to second and third efforts. Wiggles and pushes through traffic inside to get the extra yard after it looks as though he’s stopped. Possesses a spin move to come off tackles at the second level, maintains balance to keep on moving or at least fall forward for an extra couple of yards. Uses a strong stiff arm in space, as well. Agile enough to jump over defenders trying to cut him down in the open field. Used in Wildcat formation in the red zone. Decent receiver out of the backfield.

Weaknesses
Taller back who presents a big target for defenders to hit, especially when failing to lower his pads going into the hole. Size also limits his breakaway speed and ability to create on his own if challenged by better front sevens.Sub par vision prevents him from seeing cut back lines and sees him running up the back of his lead blocker too often. Pass protection form is inconsistent, has size to handle rushers or at least push them around the pocket, but often moves his feet too slowly or tries to cut instead of setting to anchor. Holds the ball away from his body at times, though he doesn’t fumble very often.

NFL Comparison
LeGarrette Blount :jawdrop2:

Bottom Line
Bell has monster size, but also shows nimble feet. Can make people miss at any level of the field, but doesn't have very good vision. As the season progressed, Bell's lateral agility declined. Bell proved capable of handling a tremendous amount of touches. To become a full-time back though, Bell will need to continue to improve his ability as a pass catcher or become a more consistent blocker, in addition to improving his vision as a runner.

as I stated way back when (draft time ) He reminded me of Robert Smith of the Vikings ... still does in many ways http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/17219-Leveon-Bell-has-gotten-a-lot-of-comparisons?highlight=Leveon+Bell

Shoes
12-08-2014, 12:04 AM

I can't see this happening. There is no way Goodell wants to be linked with the Rats after the Rice cluster and I can't see the Pats pushing anything either because Blount may get the same judgement.

steelreserve
12-08-2014, 12:09 AM
HOW IS TACO BELL NOT SPONSORING THE HELL OUT OF THIS GUY

fansince'76
12-08-2014, 12:14 AM
...According to my source be it what it may, the Ravens are working the back rooms at NFL headquarters trying to get Goodell to suspend Bell for two games this season. They're laying it out that since Bell has accepted a plea already this case has been adjudicated, therefore the punishment should be meted out this year...We can only hope the Patriots don't start pushing this as well.

If it happens and that is the case, then Sucker Punch better fucking get two games at the same time.

steelreserve
12-08-2014, 12:37 AM
The Ravens pushing the league on player discipline policy? Well, that would take a lot of balls.

zulater
12-08-2014, 05:09 AM
I can't see this happening. There is no way Goodell wants to be linked with the Rats after the Rice cluster and I can't see the Pats pushing anything either because Blount may get the same judgement.

True. But Blount's case hasn't been adjudicated yet, so he wouldn't be in the same situation as Bell at the moment.

Probably just some grousing in Rat land about what they could do. Don't think it will go anywhere.

Count Steeler
12-08-2014, 05:33 AM
I thought because he is a first time offender he can't get suspended, according to the CBA. He is now placed in the "we are watching you now" category.

zulater
12-08-2014, 05:39 AM
I thought because he is a first time offender he can't get suspended, according to the CBA. He is now placed in the "we are watching you now" category.

That would be true if he had a positive test. But I think because an arrest was involved it's treated differently. From what I understand Bell will probably be suspended for the first two games of next season. But I hope I got it wrong.

Count Steeler
12-08-2014, 05:41 AM
That would be true if he had a positive test. But I think because an arrest was involved it's treated differently. From what I understand Bell will probably be suspended for the first two games of next season. But I hope I got it wrong.

Of course, Goodell could cook up some idiotic suspension and by the time the appeal is dealt with, Bell would have already sat for 2 games. No apology would follow, Goodell would just disappear down his rat hole for a couple of months.

venom
12-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Love Bell and just yesterday I found out we share the same birthday - Feb 17 !!!!

Shoes
12-08-2014, 08:04 AM
True. But Blount's case hasn't been adjudicated yet, so he wouldn't be in the same situation as Bell at the moment.

Probably just some grousing in Rat land about what they could do. Don't think it will go anywhere.

If it did I think we would see Art II in full pitbull formation.

zulater
12-08-2014, 08:07 AM
If it did I think we would see Art II in full pitbull formation.

He had better.

Think this all started with Ngata's suspension. Some purple sour grapes.

Here's my thinking. Art Rooney II is a lawyer. Hopefully he's been involved with LeVeon's legal strategy in this case. Had his taking a plea deal in any way had jeopardized his availability this season he should have been advised to delay the process until after the season was complete. I'm sure any second year law student could have stalled things until the season was over had it been in their clients best interest.

zulater
12-08-2014, 08:26 AM
http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=Y

LeVeon closing in on DeMarco Murray for total yards from scrimmage. Within 74 yards now. If you want a tie breaker as to who's better, look at ball security. Murray has 5 fumbles. Bell 0.

Texasteel
12-08-2014, 08:56 AM
http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=Y

LeVeon closing in on DeMarco Murray for total yards from scrimmage. Within 74 yards now. If you want a tie breaker as to who's better, look at ball security. Murray has 5 fumbles. Bell 0.

Don't know how many carries Bell has, I think the mid 200s, but Murray is on track for 400 carries this year. Wonder if the cowboys are riding a horses that may wear out in the playoffs.

fansince'76
12-08-2014, 09:01 AM
If you want a tie breaker as to who's better, look at ball security. Murray has 5 fumbles. Bell 0.

Shush! :shush:

86WARD
12-08-2014, 10:03 AM
The Ravens pushing to get Bell suspended? Lol. Hopefully Tomlin doesn't run his wheels off...I mean even Payton had Roland Harper and Neal Anderson to relieve him.

stillers4me
12-08-2014, 05:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4XmT4sCMAATRu6.jpg

Steeldude
12-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Not bad company. Payton is still my favorite all-time non-Steelers player.

Back when football was football. I miss football.

Texasteel
12-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Back when football was football. I miss football.

So do I bud, but don't think we will ever see it again.