PDA

View Full Version : difference in TD and FG before the half .....

Dwinsgames
12-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Heath Miller WIDE open not a player within 5 yards of him at the 1 .... easy TD right in front of Ben and pass goes elsewhere incomplete

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4RtsKRIgAAM4dO.jpg

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 01:46 PM
I noticed Ben had one of his own linemen pushed back into his lap, as usual...

zulater
12-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Heath Miller WIDE open not a player within 5 yards of him at the 1 .... easy TD right in front of Ben and pass goes elsewhere incomplete

Yeah it probably would have been an easy TD. But if Heath bobbles the ball at all there were a couple guys in place who could have come up and made a play. If you got the time out in your pocket that's a much easier decision to make. Because when Ben throws the ball Heath is at the 2 yard line running more parallel than forward. If he gets tackled before the goal line that drive goes for nothing. Ben went to Bryant instead. Looked like an un-catchable pass, but I can't say for sure because Byrant got shoved out of the back of the end zone, so it's impossible to determine if he would have ended up in position to catch a high ball in the back of the end zone if left unmolested?

Bottom line is I think the lack of a time out was playing with Ben's head a little on that red zone sequence. He didn't want to go in with nothing, so obviously he couldn't afford to take a sack, and I think he was equally reluctant to throw short of the goal line.

I was unhappy with the way the Steelers used their time outs on that series. After Wheaton made the first down catch at the 23(?) with about 1.30 on the clock you could see Ben and the team running up to get a play off. The time out obviously got called from the sideline judging by the players movements. Had they been left alone they should get that play off with about 1.05-10 left with two time outs still in the bag. Then they used their final time after Ab caught the ball at the 4. Normally I disagree with spiking the ball and wasting a down there. But in my opinion as it turned out, since that was your final time out you would probably would have been better off with one less down and that time out in your pocket. Like I said before I think Ben was really spooked by the possibility of a sack. Plus if you have that time out you could run LeVeon on one play if you wanted to.

Anyway all in all considering they took possession of the ball at their own 15 with 2.45 on the clock and the Bengals with two time outs, I thought it was a successful possession. At various times in the drive you could tell the Steelers were playing the clock down in case they would have to give the ball back to the Bengals. So you took some momentum into the half. 14-10 is a helluva lot better than 14-7, or even 17 or 21-7 which it could have been if the Steelers had a 3 and out series from that starting field position.

GBMelBlount
12-09-2014, 09:34 AM
I noticed Ben had one of his own linemen pushed back into his lap, as usual...

Ben has only been sacked once in the last two games.

Just sayin

Mojouw
12-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Sacks are not the only way to measure impactful pressure. When your LT (i thin) ends up several yards behind the LOS in your QB's lap, it is usually not a very good thing!

GBMelBlount
12-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Sacks are not the only way to measure impactful pressure. When your LT (i thin) ends up several yards behind the LOS in your QB's lap, it is usually not a very good thing!

Absolutely!

Just putting things in perspective.

I would imagine that in general there is a relationship between number of pressures and number of sacks.

So IF Ben is getting pressured a lot it is logical to assume he is doing a good job of avoiding sacks.

Though not quite as good at finding Heath for 6. :wink02:

Moose
12-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Saw and wondering the same thing. But who knows what Ben was seeing.

zulater
12-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Saw and wondering the same thing. But who knows what Ben was seeing.

Can't see it in that view, but there were two defenders in position to break on Miller from the end zone. A perfectly thrown ball and perfect catch and they have no legitimate shot at Miller before he's in. But if the ball carries wide toward the side line a little too much, or if Heath bobbles the ball even slightly and there's more than a good chance he;'s tackled at the one yard line or thereabouts. If he's tackled in the field of play there's no chance to run another play let alone running the fg unit out on the field. I might be wrong but I really think Ben was playing ultra conservative there. Didn't want to go in after that long drive with nothing. Again had they used their time outs differently and had one in their pocket I think he might have gone to Heath there?

zulater
12-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Overall Beachum had an excellent game.