PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger's hand isn't broken; new contract on horizon?

stillers4me
12-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493043/ben-roethlisberger) suffered a bruised hand during Sunday's loss to New Orleans, which bothered him for a period in the first half of that game. Roethlisberger did not suffer any broken bones, contrary to a report, and he was able to practice fully and looked good in preparations this week, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.
Roethlisberger, who has one year left on his deal beyond this season, has had an up and down season but the Steelers are intent on securing him for the duration of his career and intend to begin contract talks with his early in the offseason, very likely by the combine, sources said. They are prepared to make the two-time Super Bowl (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowl) winner among the highest-paid quarterbacks in the game and fully realize that he will command $20-million a season............

Contrary to an NFL Network report last season, Roethlisberger has never entertained the thought of asking for a trade, the Steelers have never considered the possibility of dealing him and all sides have long been in lockstep that a third contract with the team was inevitable.
Ideally, Roethlisberger would have welcomed that development following the 2013 season, but he was given assurances an extension would be paramount on the team's agenda following the 2014 season and everything remains on track for that to be the case.

Read it and weep, haters! @
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24872547/ben-roethlisbergers-hand-isnt-broken-new-contract-on-horizon

Dwinsgames
12-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Read it and weep, haters! @

don't think we have any true haters here ... just a few realists

Lady Steel
12-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Ben deserves every dime after having to put up with the likes of Tomlin and Haley.

Devilsdancefloor
12-07-2014, 11:12 AM
i really think at times those "realist" have forgotten the list of forgettable QB's between Bradshaw and Big Ben, but i hope it all gets done and we can also get some other guys signed as well

Dwinsgames
12-07-2014, 11:24 AM
i really think at times those "realist" have forgotten the list of forgettable QB's between Bradshaw and Big Ben, but i hope it all gets done and we can also get some other guys signed as well

nope have not forgotten .. just cant see continuing to be mediocre with a franchise QB and in 3 years needing to find a replacement anyways

I love Ben ( in a no homo kind of way ) just do not see us competing seriously before his time is up in this league ... fringe competitor perhaps but not a legit contender

zulater
12-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Being pragmatic and understanding the situation is more than about Ben's relative ability is not being a hater.

86WARD
12-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Trading or letting a franchise QB go without an equal or better prospect in place isn't being a "realist." That's not reality.

I get the idea, it fuels a nice conversation/debate...but it's neither a smart not a realistic idea to trade a franchise QB without a plan in place for a comparable replacement with similar or better talents. I wouldn't call Zulater or Dwins a hater by any means.

X-Terminator
12-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Sign him to an extension, pay him the money he's OWED for everything he's put up with in his career, and the "realists" will just have to deal with it.

zulater
12-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Sign him to an extension, pay him the money he's OWED for everything he's put up with in his career, and the "realists" will just have to deal with it.

I'll deal with it just fine. I love Ben. But going forward it's hard to see where it's going to get better?

X-Terminator
12-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I'll deal with it just fine. I love Ben. But going forward it's hard to see where it's going to get better?

Sorry, there is just no way anyone will convince me that they should trade a franchise QB. I will never support it. Ever. When you look around the league and back at this team's very recent history of mediocre to terrible QB play holding back otherwise great teams, how anyone can actually support it is beyond me. Yeah, I get that the rest of the team is mediocre, but I'd rather than fix that WITH Ben than without him.

zulater
12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Sorry, there is just no way anyone will convince me that they should trade a franchise QB. I will never support it. Ever. When you look around the league and back at this team's very recent history of mediocre to terrible QB play holding back otherwise great teams, how anyone can actually support it is beyond me. Yeah, I get that the rest of the team is mediocre, but I'd rather than fix that WITH Ben than without him.

It's so rare for a team to deteriorate with a franchise qb in his peak years. But somehow this team is pulling it off. Not a knock on Ben. A slam on colbert and co.

stillers4me
12-07-2014, 12:39 PM
There's no choice but to pay him.

Mojouw
12-07-2014, 12:51 PM
It's so rare for a team to deteriorate with a franchise qb in his peak years. But somehow this team is pulling it off. Not a knock on Ben. A slam on colbert and co.

Really? Here are teams that went 9-7 or worse during the prime of a Franchise QB:

Steelers 2012-?
NY Giants from 2012-2014
Broncos from 1992-1995
Chargers 2010-2014
Miami 1995-1997
Green Bay 1999-2000 and 2005-2006
Bengals 2004-2010 (except for 2009 and 2005)

Again, not to argue that Colbert and Co don't need to be held accountable for their mistakes and potentially need to be fired along with several other members of the staff and FO, but we, as fans, can't hold them to a standard that may not exist. The only team I could find that never "wasted" a stretch of seasons during an elite QB's prime was the Montana/Young 49'ers teams. They were ridiculous. And for part of it they were outside the present cap structure.

zulater
12-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Really? Here are teams that went 9-7 or worse during the prime of a Franchise QB:

Steelers 2012-?
NY Giants from 2012-2014
Broncos from 1992-1995
Chargers 2010-2014
Miami 1995-1997
Green Bay 1999-2000 and 2005-2006
Bengals 2004-2010 (except for 2009 and 2005)

Again, not to argue that Colbert and Co don't need to be held accountable for their mistakes and potentially need to be fired along with several other members of the staff and FO, but we, as fans, can't hold them to a standard that may not exist. The only team I could find that never "wasted" a stretch of seasons during an elite QB's prime was the Montana/Young 49'ers teams. They were ridiculous. And for part of it they were outside the present cap structure.

Patriots.

Mojouw
12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Patriots.

Yup. Forgot about them.

bayz101
12-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Patriots.

Puke!!!!

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/

There ya go, membership is free. :chuckle:

zulater
12-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Puke!!!!

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/

There ya go, membership is free. :chuckle:

Just pointing out an oversight. Hate the Patriots as much as anyone.

If we lose this game some of the real Ben trolls both here and elsewhere will claim Ben got outdueled by Opie Daulton. Never minding the fact that Ben had to go up against a real defense.

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 03:42 PM
25/39, 350 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INT.

Kittyfish
12-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I don't know a whole lot about football, but I do know this - apparently playing the position of professional quarterback is so hard, there aren't 32 men in the whole country who are alive and competing at the same time that can do it well. When you find one, I say you hang onto him.

I give all respect to zulater, who knows a helluva lot more than I do, and I have no doubts at all he is a big BR fan.

An interesting tidbit I found at ESPN:

Ben Roethlisberger (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) can pass Boomer Esiason on the all-time TD pass list and pass yards list this weekend in Cincinnati. He needs 3 TD passes and 111 pass yards.

stillers4me
12-07-2014, 03:57 PM
And the only response from any Bengals fan on my facebook page is "Andy Dalton sucks."

:lol:

SteelerFanInStl
12-07-2014, 04:02 PM

I'm right there with you on this one XT. No f'ing way do you even consider trading Ben.

Psycho Ward 86
12-07-2014, 04:13 PM
nope have not forgotten .. just cant see continuing to be mediocre with a franchise QB and in 3 years needing to find a replacement anyways

I love Ben ( in a no homo kind of way ) just do not see us competing seriously before his time is up in this league ... fringe competitor perhaps but not a legit contender

fringe competitor is all you need. Once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Tom Coughlin was on the verge of getting fired both of his superbowl winning seasons with the giants.

zulater
12-07-2014, 05:12 PM
25/39, 350 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INT.

Great game! Arguably every bit as good as his games against the Colts and Ravens at midseason. But he's got to back it up. 3 more games to go this regular season. He can't be the reason we lose any of them.

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Great game! Arguably every bit as good as his games against the Colts and Ravens at midseason. But he's got to back it up. 3 more games to go this regular season. He can't be the reason we lose any of them.

14-20 for 173 yards with 0 TDs and 2 INTs

Those are Manning's numbers through just over 3-and-a-half quarters against the Bills and yet the Broncos have the ball with about 5:30 left and a very comfortable 14-point lead.

Wish Ben had the luxury of putting up numbers like that without the risk of putting the game in jeopardy (and get called to be traded by fans) by doing so.

Shoes
12-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Ben is worth his payday, but there are at least three who are not. Gilbert, Mitchell and Allen.

Dwinsgames
12-07-2014, 06:05 PM
perhaps 5k yards passing for Ben this year something Ben has never been close to achieving 4329 in 2009 was his best ever mark has 3 games left to obtain 945 yards passing to eclipse 5k ( not a gimme , but within his grasp )

zulater
12-07-2014, 06:09 PM
14-20 for 173 yards with 0 TDs and 2 INTs

Those are Manning's numbers through just over 3-and-a-half quarters against the Bills and yet the Broncos have the ball with about 5:30 left and a very comfortable 14-point lead.

Wish Ben had the luxury of putting up numbers like that without the risk of putting the game in jeopardy (and get called to be traded by fans) by doing so.

Come on be honest. How often does Manning have that game? And Ben was uninspiring in wins against the Jaguars and to a lesser degree the Titans. He didn't get ripped for those games because we won. Winning has always been the best deodorant.

And very few are killing Ben. It's more about doubting where the Steelers are at and where they are headed and what's to be done about it.

Dwinsgames
12-07-2014, 06:42 PM
for the record ...

1) nobody said lets give Ben away

2) nobody said he sucks trade him , release him

3) nobody wants to ruin the franchise we only wanted to fix broken pieces and use a trade to do that since he has limited time left anyways and with the broken pieces he has little chance to succeed

4) if you do not understand any of the above 3 please read them again as its getting old some of the things that are being insinuated by a few here on the subject

edit ... as a side note for all the Fire Haley folks .. Ben is having his best statical year of his career so be careful what you wish for as well

X-Terminator
12-07-2014, 06:59 PM
for the record ...

1) nobody said lets give Ben away

2) nobody said he sucks trade him , release him

3) nobody wants to ruin the franchise we only wanted to fix broken pieces and use a trade to do that since he has limited time left anyways and with the broken pieces he has little chance to succeed

4) if you do not understand any of the above 3 please read them again as its getting old some of the things that are being insinuated by a few here on the subject

edit ... as a side note for all the Fire Haley folks .. Ben is having his best statical year of his career so be careful what you wish for as well

Nah, I get your point, and zulater's. I just vehemently disagree, that's all. As far as I am concerned, there is zero benefit to trading your franchise QB when you have no one to replace him. Like it or not, you need a competent, above-average QB to win consistently in today's NFL. Anything less will not cut it. Just ask the 49'ers and Bungles.

As for Haley, well, my mind hasn't really changed on him. I still think he's more of a liability than an asset.

zulater
12-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Nah, I get your point, and zulater's. I just vehemently disagree, that's all.

As for Haley, well, my mind hasn't really changed on him. I still think he's more of a liability than an asset.

Thanks.

As for Haley. He called a really good game today. Now do it 3 more times and you'll have 5 well called games for the season. We'll leave it at that.

vader29
12-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks.

As for Haley. He called a really good game today. Now do it 3 more times and you'll have 5 well called games for the season. We'll leave it at that.

Hopefully he does well the rest of the season and gets hired somewhere as a head coach. :pray:

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Hopefully he does well the rest of the season and gets hired somewhere as a head coach. :pray:

With our luck, it'll happen to Munchak instead...

Lady Steel
12-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Haley is as inconsistent as the rest of the team.

I noticed he wore a hat this week. :chuckle: