PDA

View Full Version : Tense times for Steelers defense, Dick LeBeau

stillers4me
12-07-2014, 07:54 AM
It's easy to say the Steelers should force defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to retire. He is 77, an advanced age in a business that is grueling even for young men. Of greater significance, his defense has slipped badly the past few seasons and is the biggest reason the team could miss the playoffs for a third consecutive year if it loses today to the Cincinnati Bengals. The defense keeps giving up big plays, one after another.
LeBeau appears to know his time with the Steelers could be ending. He was unusually testy in a brief interview Thursday when asked if he wants to come back next season. Each of the past several Decembers, he has said, without hesitation, he wants to coach another year "as long as they want me." Once, in an unusually rough season because of injuries and poor play, he added, "I would never bail out on these players."

There was none of that this time...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/12/07/Ron-Cook-Tense-times-for-Steelers-defense-Dick-LeBeau/stories/201412070116

zulater
12-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here. Watch how this plays out. LeBeau will have his "retirement" announced by the Steelers soon after the completion of the season. Within a week Cardinals DC Todd Bowles gets a head coaching position somewhere in the league. (all but a given). Where do you think Bruce Arians first phone call goes? : All of a sudden with real players the game has no longer passed LeBeau by, and the two "retired" Steelers coordinators end up in a Super Bowl together. :chuckle:

ALLD
12-07-2014, 08:28 AM
You will know how the balance of the Steelers' season will go and the fate of the GM and many coaches by the first half today. I think they come out with a little fire, but typically out of sync and slow to put points up. Yes, that is typical at many other teams, but those teams think a good season is .500.

Lady Steel
12-07-2014, 10:22 AM
"I wouldn't think about it even if I knew it was. So what?" he said, fairly growling.

Ha! You tell 'em, Coach LeBeau!

MrPgh
12-07-2014, 10:50 AM
You will know how the balance of the Steelers' season will go and the fate of the GM and many coaches by the first half today. I think they come out with a little fire, but typically out of sync and slow to put points up. Yes, that is typical at many other teams, but those teams think a good season is .500.

If things go wrong in these last 4 games, I also think Art II needs to regulate himself to just signing the checks and hire someone from the outside to be team president. Just because he's his father's son doesn't make him qualified to make football decisions, and he's part of the problem here.

Count Steeler
12-07-2014, 11:42 AM
This team has to do a lot more than win today before I get on the band wagon. I love my Steelers and I look forward to watching them play every week, but my expectations are far from a SB win. Until this cast and crew gets sorted out, mediocrity, I'm afraid will be the norm.

Of course, Landry Jones is being pruned into being our next starting QB, must be the reason that he is still on our roster. Wouldn't want him to be poached off of our practice squad or anything. Cam Thomas, Mike Mitchell. 'nuff said.

stillers4me
12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
This fan base has no stomach for rebuilding years.

Count Steeler
12-07-2014, 01:06 PM

Even our fan base could use some pruning.

MrPgh
12-07-2014, 01:33 PM

It's not rebuilding when the team prefers playing washed-up veterans.

Shoes
12-07-2014, 01:35 PM

I'd love it…starting with Colbert and Tomlin as the first two to be replaced..

katmandu
12-07-2014, 09:34 PM
This fan base has no stomach for rebuilding years.None what-so-ever.

- - - Updated - - -

It's easy to say the Steelers should force defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to retire. He is 77, an advanced age in a business that is grueling even for young men.

Of greater significance, his defense has slipped badly the past few seasons and is the biggest reason the team could miss the playoffs for a third consecutive year if it loses today to the Cincinnati Bengals. The defense keeps giving up big plays, one after another.It's not DB's fault.

I don't see anybody in Steeler Nation calling out Coach Lake ? Do you ???

It's much more the fault of an old and untalented Secondary more than anything!

I'm going to say something that is really painful to me and Sacrilegious here..... Troy is done!

Ok..., I'm going to go throw up now.....

MrPgh
12-07-2014, 09:39 PM
None what-so-ever.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not DB's fault.

I don't see anybody in Steeler Nation calling out Coach Lake ? Do you ???

It's much more the fault of an old and untalented Secondary more than anything!

I'm going to say something that is really painful to me and Sacrilegious here..... Troy is done!

Ok..., I'm going to go throw up now.....

LeBeau is part of the problem if he refuses to see how badly Ike's play has deteriorated.

I can't imagine Colbert, Tomlin, and Art II would tell LeBeau to fuck off if he requested the Steelers draft a CB higher than the 5th round.