PDA

View Full Version : Clifton Geathers takes on the Steelers' offensive line in his first practice

stillers4me
12-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers)' new defensive end Clifton Geathers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108430/clifton-geathers) made an impression in his first practice with his new team.

In a rare late-season dust-up, Geathers announced he was on the team to compete. That's more an occurrence in training camp, but the newcomer Geathers took on the majority of the Steelers' offensive line midway through practice. Punches were thrown and Geathers said he was just playing hard. But when some players went to the ground, this incensed guard Ramon Foster (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71674/ramon-foster)............

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2014/12/3/7329641/clifton-geathers-takes-on-the-steelers-offensive-line-in-his-first

Steeldude
12-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Sounds like the O-line is whining. "Oh no, Geathers is playing too rough. We just played a game 3 days ago". I am not advocating fighting, but it would be nice to see the starters play with some fire on Sundays.

Steeltreal
12-03-2014, 09:59 PM
to quote Allen Iverson "Practice?!"

Psycho Ward 86
12-03-2014, 10:15 PM
lol good. kick their asses clif.

Shoes
12-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Sounds like Foster has been drinking from the cup of Mike Adams. They need a HC with balls!

Dwinsgames
12-03-2014, 10:27 PM
wise man once said ....

you play how you practice ...

practice soft , play soft

steelreserve
12-03-2014, 10:30 PM
I was originally underwhelmed at this signing, but good to see the guy show up with some fire in him. This team needs a kick in the ass, and I doubt one is going to come from the coaching staff.

86WARD
12-04-2014, 05:17 AM
So basically this confirms that practices are usually a paddy cake event and Geathers smacked hands a little too hard. Good for him. I wouldn't expect to hear that the practices were anything more than that with Tomlin coaching this team.

Count Steeler
12-04-2014, 03:09 PM
"I understand he's new here and working his butt off, but we just played 96 snaps Sunday,'' Foster said. "So, there's no sense in doing that in practice right now. And I saw him push one of our guys to the ground, and I lost it. We'll deal with that, and everything else is left out on the practice field.''

Boo frickin' hoo. There may have been 96 snaps, but we certainly didn't play worthy enough to take it easy in practice.

If this is the prevailing attitude, this organization needs a major stirring. Damn, if I was 6' 4", I'd get out there at 53 years old and beat the living shit out of these slackers. Piss me off.

st33lersguy
12-04-2014, 03:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8c6j-LS-ZI

It seems like this is similar to what happened, except of course for the quality in coach

Mojouw
12-04-2014, 03:34 PM
The Steelers practice in pads more than any other NFL team. Majority of NFL practices are techniques and walkthrough based.

These guys need most of the week to recover from the previous game.

I think we all need to divorce ourselves from some vision of NFL practices as a continual series of Oklahoma drills.

tube517
12-04-2014, 03:42 PM
For all we know, Geathers had one incident with the OL in practice and went straight to the buffet afterwards after he found an old Casey Hampton buffet card in the locker room and is really as bad as his journeyman career has been to this point.

I just don't want to hear the O-lineman whine when somebody got "pushed to the ground". Really? Blow it off if it was just "Practice" but don't whine about it. Most guys who get involved in a scuffle in practice just blow it off and move on.

GBMelBlount
12-04-2014, 04:24 PM
We need an offensive line, not an offensive whine.

86WARD
12-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Don't want to be pushed to the ground? Don't let him push you to the ground. That simple.

Shoes
12-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Like head coach like players.

Heinz Hitman
12-04-2014, 07:18 PM
I just became a Clifton Geathers fan. Hope he makes something out of these nancy boys.

GBMelBlount
12-04-2014, 08:13 PM
I just became a Clifton Geathers fan. Hope he makes something out of these nancy boys.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_e4POKMojRk/Uk3ny8s4rrI/AAAAAAAABgs/bx2JKdFcAC4/s320/WhinyBratMoment.png

Steeldude
12-05-2014, 06:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8c6j-LS-ZI

It seems like this is similar to what happened, except of course for the quality in coach

If that happened in the NFL today these pansy players would throw a tantrum and run to the NFLPA.

- - - Updated - - -

For all we know, Geathers had one incident with the OL in practice and went straight to the buffet afterwards after he found an old Casey Hampton buffet card in the locker room and is really as bad as his journeyman career has been to this point.

I just don't want to hear the O-lineman whine when somebody got "pushed to the ground". Really? Blow it off if it was just "Practice" but don't whine about it. Most guys who get involved in a scuffle in practice just blow it off and move on.

Exactly

fansince'76
12-05-2014, 06:19 AM
I find it truly ironic that another scrub trying to "make a name for himself" (namely, Anthony Smith) by being overzealous during what were supposed to be half-speed drills was absolutely crucified by fans for essentially doing the same thing to Hines Ward a few years back. Pretty easy to be a bad ass in practice when one is going full speed while everyone else is going half speed.

Speaking of which, I have a feeling that if he gets pressed into action by an injury to Tuitt and winds up having an Anthony Smith/Patriots "moment" while Gio Bernard goes for about a buck-fifty and a couple of TDs mostly coming off of his side this Sunday, fans won't be quite so forgiving the next time he goes overboard and blows people up in practice by going full speed during half-speed drills.

The Steelers practice in pads more than any other NFL team. Majority of NFL practices are techniques and walkthrough based.

These guys need most of the week to recover from the previous game.

I think we all need to divorce ourselves from some vision of NFL practices as a continual series of Oklahoma drills.

Exactly. Methinks a number of people have watched The Junction Boys a few too many times...

steelreserve
12-05-2014, 11:45 AM
At least he seems motivated, that's all I'm saying.

The difference between this and the Anthony Smith thing is that on this team, motivation and leadership are sorely lacking. The fact that people are even excited about a backup lineman running someone over in practice says a lot about the sorry state of affairs under Tomlin. Maybe I'm wrong and he's actually running a tight ship behind the scenes, but all outward signs are that everything is half-assed and ill-prepared.

st33lersguy
12-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Save for Brown and Bell, the steelers collectively have expended little energy the past 4 weeks, o-line included. They have energy to spare for practice

Steeldude
12-05-2014, 12:34 PM
I find it truly ironic that another scrub trying to "make a name for himself" (namely, Anthony Smith) by being overzealous during what were supposed to be half-speed drills was absolutely crucified by fans for essentially doing the same thing to Hines Ward a few years back. Pretty easy to be a bad ass in practice when one is going full speed while everyone else is going half speed.

Speaking of which, I have a feeling that if he gets pressed into action by an injury to Tuitt and winds up having an Anthony Smith/Patriots "moment" while Gio Bernard goes for about a buck-fifty and a couple of TDs mostly coming off of his side this Sunday, fans won't be quite so forgiving the next time he goes overboard and blows people up in practice by going full speed during half-speed drills.

Exactly. Methinks a number of people have watched The Junction Boys a few too many times...

I think there is difference between a lineman getting pushed around in practice and a defenseless WR getting nailed in practice.

I remember when the Steelers played physical and with energy. Now, at times, it looks like they are just waiting for the game to end.