PDA

View Full Version : Who should start until Ben's back?

zulater
08-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I thought Leftwich looked pretty good last night. Nice 3rd and long conversion to Wallace, then of course the TD pass to Wallace. Guy still has one of the better arm's in the league. Also he did a nice job geting the Steelers into the red zone at the end of the half. I'm not sure who's brain fart it was not spiking the ball after the completion to ARE at the 2. I also thought the second down pass to ARE in the end zone was executed fairly well by Byron, just the giant defender made a good play on the ball.

All that said, I was really impressed with Dennis Dixon. I know he was up against the 2's and 3's but still he made the throws, and the right reads.

I hope Dixon is given the start in the final preseason game and Tomlin has enough of an open mind to evaluate the position fairly.

Anyway polls open, give us your vote and the why.

My own personal opinion is that Leftwich will get the start against Atlanta deserved or not, but that he wont make it to week 4.

stillers4me
08-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Where's the poll?

zulater
08-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Where's the poll?

there ya go. :bananalama:

Mach1
08-22-2010, 02:27 PM
I think I'll wait for the next game to make a decision.

Steeltreal
08-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Byrons throws are missiles but require time, which he wont have till Flozele settles in. Dixon can make the right reads and gain more time. Dixon should start

tony hipchest
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
i think dixon gets the start for game 3 and lefty cleans up. i also think the steelers are hiding batch because the bengals are in desperate need of a back up incase palmer goes down.

i hear alot of talking heads who think ben should play the majority of the 4th preseason game, just to get him semi-ready for a month down the road (actually it would be 6 weeks if you count the 4 games he will miss).

X-Terminator
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Dixon looked better last night than he did last week, I'll give him that. But I still want Leftwich to start. I want the first 4 games in the hands of a veteran.

As for the drive at the end of the first half, generally the QB calls the plays in the 2-minute offense. So it could very well have been Lefty's call to not spike the ball.

hotrodder07
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm in the Dennis Dixon camp. I was leaning that way since training camp, but the first 2 preseason games confirmed it for me. Not that Byron did poorly at all, but Dixon looked really good. He made good decisions, and made the all the throws he's supposed to make. Drove us down the field, and didn't even come close to throwing an interception. That's really all you can ask from a backup QB. Dixon also adds an extra element to our game with his running ability (although last night, Byron showed us all that he can run like Barry Sanders! :p). Some people saying that Dixon takes off too quickly, but I don't have a problem with that if he's still getting us first downs. Dixon has earned a chance to play with the first team. Whether he gets that chance is yet to be seen.

So yeah. Dennis Dixon for starter week 1.

Raleigh Steel
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
i'm for dixon! i've had a feeling ever since the suspension came down that the coaching staff was going with leftwich no matter what. i'm hoping that they've at least opened their minds to dixon and are giving him a legit shot. at the very least i hope he's given a package or 2 if he isn't the starter.

regardless, who ever is the named the starter, i'll be behind him 100%

polamalubeast
08-22-2010, 04:22 PM
My choice would be Dixon but I am certain that Tomlin will go with Leftwith.

But I will respect the decision of Tomlin.

JayC
08-22-2010, 04:29 PM
i say leftwich gets the opener. if we win, he stays in. if we lose its dd time.

Polamalu Princess
08-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I am going to go with Dixon. I think that he has done the best job thus far.

SteelCityMan786
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd rather go with Leftwich. But if Dixon is proving to the coaching staff he is worth starting, by all means, start him. I want them to start who will ultimately give Ben something to work for when he comes back.

SteelCityMom
08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Ultimately, I'd like to see Leftwich start. He's not the fastest, but he's got experience and is better at reading the defenses. If he sucks it up big time in the 1st game, then maybe give Dixon a shot, but I think Dixon is more apt to panic at the wrong times during a game.

86WARD
08-22-2010, 04:46 PM
All things equal, Dixon has been far better than Leftwich. But we all know things are not close to equal. I really need to see Dixon get some snaps with the first team and vice versa to really make a decision on who should start.

Obviously, Leftwich has the experience but Dixon has the potential to be far more dynamic...

Kaeg
08-22-2010, 04:52 PM
I think I'm gonna abstain from voting right now until after next game. I'm really hoping to see DD get 1st team reps for a more accurate "guess" on my part.

The Duke
08-22-2010, 05:53 PM
My own personal opinion is that Leftwich will get the start against Atlanta deserved or not, but that he wont make it to week 4.

Same here

I see him getting his revenge on the ravens in week 4. But Byron will start the season, I have few doubts about that

i also think the steelers are hiding batch because the bengals are in desperate need of a back up incase palmer goes down.

I think he would threaten to retire rather than play for them

Godfather
08-22-2010, 06:48 PM
What kind of poll doesn't have "The Patriots* suck and Tom Brady is gay" as an option?

stillers4me
08-22-2010, 06:53 PM
What kind of poll doesn't have "The Patriots* suck and Tom Brady is gay" as an option?

That was my thoughts..........

GoSlash27
08-22-2010, 07:15 PM
I would personally prefer Dixon, but I don't think I'll get my wish. It'll work out either way.

Carolina Steelers
08-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Wow Im a little surprised at the voting right now, Dixon leads, like everyone else I would like to see him next week with the 1st team. I wished he didnt switch back to his college #10 after Holmes left, should I say it reminds me a little of Stewart but we know how that ended!! LOL

SMR
08-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Sure Leftie did better than last week, but my heart goes out to DD.

Mattsme
08-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Antwaan Randle El

SMR
08-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Antwaan Randle El

Without laughing....are you serious?

Shea
08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Antwaan Randle El

:chuckle:

Heath used to be a quarterback too. :scratchchin:

Mattsme
08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Without laughing....are you serious?

No of course not. Ward used to play QB, give him the job instead.

The Duke
08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
you guys are all crazy. Remember moore's TD pass last year? THERE'S our QB

:chuckle:

Shoes
08-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I like what I see with DD, but have to go with Lefty's experience to start.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Where the hell is the Tom Brady is Gay option in this poll

Shea
08-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Where the hell is the Tom Brady is Gay option in this poll

Where the hell is steelreserve that started that??

Nadroj 20
08-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Read under my name please :thumbsup:

I think DD deserves a chance to start. He brings energy to the team and has looked good so far. I think hes the better player of the two right now.

Chidi29
08-23-2010, 02:46 AM
To all of those of you who are saying Dixon needs to have a chance to run with the 1's.

He probably won't. It's a little unfortuante that he won't get that chance, but it happens.

Game 3 is typically the most important preseason game of them all. The starters play the longest and it has the cloest feel to a regular season game than any other one (especially since everyone knows that the starters won't play more than two or three series in the 4th game).

At a position like QB, you have to have your starter picked. You still can't be playing that "Well let's take another look" this late in the season. If you're a team who doesn't know who your starter is at this point, you're in trouble. All 10 other guys are looking back at you. It isn't a position like WR or RB where you can just plug him in and can chug along without many issues.

Because there was Ben in camp, because there was a vet we liked a lot in Leftwich, the window of opportunity was very small for Dixon. After what I thought to be an average Week 1 showing from Dennis, I became 100% sold on the Leftwich train. That's what you have to do at the position. Figure out who your guy is as soon as possible and stick with it. Is that completely fair to Dennis? No, it's not. But that's the way the sport goes. He should be the first one to tell you that.

Galax Steeler
08-23-2010, 03:18 AM
I say Dixon should get the nod. He looks so much smoother then leftwich. Dixon also has the scrambling ability that the defenses would have to worry about.

SirHulka
08-23-2010, 04:13 AM
I'm 100% behind Leftwich starting. Dixon needs to ride the pines for a while longer.

HometownGal
08-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Lefty without a shadow of a doubt for the reasons I've stated in many threads to deal with this ongoing saga.

siss
08-23-2010, 09:09 AM
I think they should do what Arizona did a few years ago and split time at QB.

zulater
08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm 100% behind Leftwich starting. Dixon needs to ride the pines for a while longer.

Since that's coming from a Browns fan perhaps we should count that as a vote for Dixon?

steelpride12
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Well im for whoever is gonna go out there, control the game and keep the turnovers to a limited amount, so of course I would say Lefty because he is a veteran who knows the game and the offense a little better, but at the same time Dixon is looking good as well and if he is the future of this team why not get his the reps he will need.

Dino 6 Rings
08-23-2010, 10:45 AM
My opinion. Lefty gets the start, with Dixon seeing time on the field in situations. If we are up by 21 in the 3rd. Put in Dixon. Lets see the kid handle a game from that point on. If we are down by 21, put in Dixon, see if he can't breath some life into the game.

Lefty is a statue, that's his biggest downfail. It takes 8 minutes for him to deliver the ball, so that worries me, a lot. But he knows the playbook, and when given time, can make the throws. Dixon is a bit of a wild card at this point. If we start him, and he fails, he might just turn into a head case. I say start Lefty, let him ride it out as long as possible, but if he starts getting killed, starts blowing it, starts making mistakes, make the switch. If we are 0-2 with Lefty starting, Make the switch.

So I love Dixon, he's got mad skills, and seeing him run for 1st downs is fun as heck when the DBs are way down field and have that "oh shiit he's running" moment. But I'd rather Lefty get in there, and if he fails, then put in Dixon. And if we are beating the snot out of people because our revamped defense is just snapping necks and not even bothering to take names, then we can give Dixon the 4th kill the clock quarter to run around, wear out the D and run the ball down their necks.

SteelGhost
08-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I voted DD, but I know it's not going to happen, I just hope our OL guys give Byron enough time to complete a pass or get rid of the ball.

O'Malley
08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I voted for Dix just because I think this is a perfect time to throw him to the wolves. He has had three years to learn the offense and it's time to see what he's got. It's a sink or swim situation and it's time for him to sink or swim. I liked what I saw last season against the Ravens IMO he would do just fine. Ultimately it is up to Tomlin and I am sure he will make the right move what ever that is. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.

memphissteelergirl
08-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Based on the past two games, I'm leaning towards Dennis getting the start. Again, my opinion is based on the last two games. He may completely implode in the next two and Leftwich may kick booty. Who knows?

That said, I will leave the choice up to Tomlin and back whatever he decides.

steeldevil
08-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Based on game action, which is most important, Dixon.

polamalubeast
08-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Byron now:peep:

zulater
08-29-2010, 08:32 PM

:lol:

SteelerSal
08-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Is there room for me and the 26 others behind that wall?

venom
08-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Byron then Charlie

The Duke
08-29-2010, 08:44 PM
I still say charlie :chuckle:

seriously though, too bad for dixon. He had a change, albeit a very very tiny one, but still

he will still see his playing time with ben suspended though. But this is byron's team week one

HometownGal
08-29-2010, 08:47 PM
LEFTY, as I've been saying since TC. Dennis has a ton of potential but simply put - he just is not ready to take the reins of that O.

hotrodder07
08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
...can I change my vote? :behindsofa:

siss
08-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I still say Ben!

polamalubeast
08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I want Charlie!!!!

EDIT::sarcasm:

The Duke
08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
I want Charlie!!!!

I beat you to it :chuckle:

I still say charlie :chuckle:

HometownGal
08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
I want Charlie!!!!

He IS playing against the backups, pb. :heh:

That was a nice drive and I love Charlie to pieces but I still get the heebie jeebies when he goes under center. :horror:

stillers4me
08-29-2010, 10:15 PM
He IS playing against the backups, pb. :heh:

That was a nice drive and I love Charlie to pieces but I still get the heebie jeebies when he goes under center. :horror:

At least he didn't break anything.

SteelerEmpire
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Who should start until Ben's back? Nobody ! Just run the Wildcat all day !!
But seriously, I think our best "all around" bet would be Batch...

steeldevil
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I honestly do not know... Im not feeling good about either one right now....

hotrodder07
08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Before the game, I was for Dixon. At halftime, I was thinking Leftwich for sure, but he really didn't look impressive either. Right now, I'm with Leftwich, because he'll at least not make the big mistake. =/

It's not looking good right now.

86WARD
08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
If I'm Tomlin, I'm running with whomever has the hot hand. Fuck that. All we learned from last night's game is that neither one is good enough to win with this team. Dixon was awful with the first team and Leftwich (whether his head was into it or not) was crap with the 2's and 3's.

Neither guy is any good and I'm usually not one for running multiple QB's but that's the only way to take advantage of this is to make teams prepare for both and see how the opposing D is going to handle it and go with the hot hand.

Dixon was the total opposite of anything I thought he was last night. He showed several things. 22 plays he got flushed and went to the right. Not once to the left. Teams will pick up on that and put an end to it real quick. Dixon couldn't handle the delayed rush and he couldn't throw to the left side of the field with any accuracy...he was bad...

86WARD
08-30-2010, 04:22 PM
btw - Charlie Batch? Hopefully those who even brought his name up are joking...

HometownGal
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
btw - Charlie Batch? Hopefully those who even brought his name up are joking...

My thoughts exactly. The mere thought of it makes my tummy turn.

I'm still sticking with Byron. Out of the two, I think he gives us the best shot at winning at least 2 of the 4 games Ben will be out. Dixon right now is way too predictable and Denver's D read him like a book.

If last night's suckfest doesn't make Steelers fans appreciate Ben, I don't know what will. :doh:

Chidi29
08-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I'll admit that I was quick to dismiss him, and I'm still starting Leftwich if it's up to me, but starting Batch isn't that laughable of a thought. I'd rather have him than Dixon.

stillers4me
08-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Leftwich with an occasional "Dixon special".

And I always appreciated Ben. I can't wait to hear the hometown chanting his name to get him back.

SteelerEmpire
08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
My thoughts exactly. The mere thought of it makes my tummy turn.

I'm still sticking with Byron. Out of the two, I think he gives us the best shot at winning at least 2 of the 4 games Ben will be out. Dixon right now is way too predictable and Denver's D read him like a book.

If last night's suckfest doesn't make Steelers fans appreciate Ben, I don't know what will. :doh:

As of now, if we pull off a win for 3 out of the 4 games without Ben ("if" Good-Hell cuts off two games), consider that a miracle.

O'Malley
08-31-2010, 10:40 AM
As of now, if we pull off a win for 3 out of the 4 games without Ben ("if" Good-Hell cuts off two games), consider that a miracle.

That is true but Ben has been know to rack up 13 wins in a row. I am not worried at all. I still think that Ariens has been saving his good plays for the regular season. The fourth and 1 call IMO was to make the league think we are soft on short yardage still. If the game does not count why show all your cards?