PDA

View Full Version : What does Colbert do exactly?

MrPgh
11-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Yeah, he's the GM. Besides holding the title, what does he do?

Back when Cowher and Donahoe were at odds, a lot of it was over personnel decisions. Cowher won that fight, effectively giving the head coach of the Steelers more control of those decisions. I'm not going to say Colbert is free of blame for the bad drafts, but does anyone seriously think Tomlin isn't part of the problem?

It's also very clear that Colbert doesn't have say on who the coaches are. Those decisions are made by ownership.

I think this is part of the Steelers problem. The GM has very little power. Gets overruled by the coach or ownership too often. It may have worked well with Cowher and earlier in Tomlin's tenure with the Steelers, but it isn't anymore. With that said, I'm not sure Colbert is the guy to fix the problems.

This won't happen, but I think the Steelers really need to restructure how they are run. Art II needs to just sign the checks. He's proven he isn't a football mind. That's okay as most owners aren't, but he needs to stop pretending he is one. Someone else needs to be hired to be team president. From there, let the team president hire the new GM. The new GM makes the call on the head coach, drafts, and how the team is built.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Colbert hand picks his scouts , He and the scouts put together their draft board the coaching staff then looks at that board and they as a unit (scouts GM and Coaching staff ) make final adjustments to the board

its been this way since Donahoe left ..

changes need to be made no question about it , for me it starts with Colbert and his scouting department that has to many friends and family on it .... ( I have said this for at the very minimum a half dozen years dating back to my old boards as Zu and others can attest ) mostly to deaf eared fans ....

I was DONE with Colbert when he said , from the 5th round on he is looking to fill the practice squad instead of building depth and taking shots at diamonds in the rough or players coming off injury etc ...

I hate Colbert !!

st33lersguy
11-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Terrible free agency this year, the last 7 drafts (save for Pouncey and Brown in 2010) have been terrible. When will we get serious about drafting CBs?

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Colbert, his scouts and the coaching staff all need to go, with Munch probably being the only exception.

MrPgh
11-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Terrible free agency this year, the last 7 drafts (save for Pouncey and Brown in 2010) have been terrible. When will we get serious about drafting CBs?

But again, that's not all on Colbert. The Steelers head coach has probably had more say in drafts since Donahoe left than any other head coach has. Perhaps that goes to show that Cowher was a good evaluator of talent. Regardless, that isn't a way an organization should be run.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Colbert and his scouts are the ones who give the group " the talent pool" to select from ....

they have a big board with a couple hundred total names to pool from ... the coaching staff has nothing to do with that part of it , they get involved to help assemble where those players fit in on the big board

if you leave guys off that board ( per example a Kenny Stills ) then he never gets a shot at being placed in a big board grouping and consequently never is drafted by this team ...

we have all seen many instances where players fall and fit a dire need for this team and we never call their name ...we can assume many potential reasons for this but its just throwing mud at the wall ...

its pretty bad when guys from our own draft forum have better mocks then we draft and said players are available at our pick point and go on to make plays for other teams while our selections are on Practice squads or out of the league ...

86WARD
11-30-2014, 05:52 PM
What does he do? If we are lucky, he puts a gun to his head and pulls the trigger.

He's bungled up enough drafts...this team is in this position because of the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 drafts for example. His free agent signings have been shitty this season and with the exception of Farrior and Mewelde Moore, I can't think of another decent free agent signing...probably missing some but as a GM, he's been pretty bad.

Count Steeler
11-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Colbert is supposed to stock the team with players. Looking up and down the line up, we are not that talented. We have a couple of gems, a few expiring light bulbs, a lot of question marks and some guys that have no business being on a legitimate NFL roster.

Time to cut off the head and start fresh.

JayC
11-30-2014, 07:31 PM
fans having been calling for cornerback for years and they have not listened to us once. great job giving cortez allen a new contract instead. they must love being mediocre.

Steeltreal
11-30-2014, 07:37 PM
fans having been calling for cornerback for years and they have not listened to us once. great job giving cortez allen a new contract instead. they must love being mediocre.
Insanity huh

86WARD
11-30-2014, 08:00 PM

In all honesty, he's really not supposed to listen to the fans. Having said that, the fans aren't wrong...lol

Steelman
12-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Dwins for GM! :tt02:

Lady Steel
12-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Dwins for GM! :tt02:

I second that motion!

Dwinsgames
12-01-2014, 05:22 PM
lol thanks , but don't see that happening anytime soon

st33lersguy
12-01-2014, 05:46 PM
This free agency class so bad, it's most productive pick-up may have been LeGarette Blount

Count Steeler
12-01-2014, 06:25 PM
This free agency class so bad, it's most productive pick-up may have been LeGarette Blount

Well our systems are so complex, they need 3 years to learn it.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Well our systems are so complex, they need 3 years to learn it.

that is what bugs the hell out of me ...

I get it we have a difficult system to learn ... Fine I will deal with that ...

but where I get frustrated is , you bring in a bum like Cam Thomas ( who never played Lebeaus system before ) and you let him start over your second round pick who is your future and could use those reps to learn the system faster and improve as well as adjust to the speed of the pro game ... ( are you not just wasting reps with Thomas who you have conceded is not your long term answer when you drafted Tuitte )

1hot1
12-01-2014, 07:09 PM
that is what bugs the hell out of me ...

I get it we have a difficult system to learn ... Fine I will deal with that ...

but where I get frustrated is , you bring in a bum like Cam Thomas ( who never played Lebeaus system before ) and you let him start over your second round pick who is your future and could use those reps to learn the system faster and improve as well as adjust to the speed of the pro game ... ( are you not just wasting reps with Thomas who you have conceded is not your long term answer when you drafted Tuitte )couldn't agree more.

86WARD
12-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Maybe it's time to scrap the "complex" systems.

Shoes
12-01-2014, 09:01 PM

Thats what I'm thinking and thats what worries me about Butler and why the Steelers should not hand the DC job to him on a platter. By the way Dwins, I think you would make a fine GM.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2014, 09:23 PM

not sure that is the answer as much as teaching it a bit differently ...

example , instead of trying to teach the entire playbook to a rookie , teach him specific things that enable him to enter the field in specific packages , once he has mastered that give him a little more and keep adding as he progresses ...

this solves a few issues at one time , it gets them on the field allowing the game to slow down , it lets them get comfortable with their team mates and build chemistry , it permits you to have veteran leadership that still contributes but gives you the infused youth that keeps your team fresh ...

- - - Updated - - -

Thats what I'm thinking and thats what worries me about Butler and why the Steelers should not hand the DC job to him on a platter. By the way Dwins, I think you would make a fine GM.

much to kind

86WARD
12-01-2014, 09:24 PM
I'd like to think they do that already...

Count Steeler
12-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Dwins, go apply to the Steelers Scouting Department. Show them your body of work for the last few drafts. Should blow most of that staff out of the water.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Dwins, go apply to the Steelers Scouting Department. Show them your body of work for the last few drafts. Should blow most of that staff out of the water.

its not that easy my friend , besides I think Colbert only hires family these days so that puts me out by default ...

but seriously many many many other guys who do this on a much larger scale than me and have as good or better eye ahead of me in that line ( if there was such a line ) I am just a small fish in a VERY BIG pond

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to think they do that already...

so would I ...

but history says otherwise for the most part ...

this might be the most playing time from a rookie crop we have had in the last 2 decades and it is more of necessity than design

Steelman
12-02-2014, 09:41 AM
its not that easy my friend , besides I think Colbert only hires family these days so that puts me out by default ...

but seriously many many many other guys who do this on a much larger scale than me and have as good or better eye ahead of me in that line ( if there was such a line ) I am just a small fish in a VERY BIG pond

Then let's start an online petition! Those work, right? :chuckle: Dwins 2015!

zulater
12-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Veteran free agency has been a huge problem lately. Our recent Super Bowls were greatly aided by the likes of Kemo Von Olhoffen, Jeff Hartings, James Farrior, Ryan Clark. Even guys like Mewelde Moore and Verron Haynes played important roles on those teams. This year what off the roster non ex Steelers have we got contributing anything? The only veteran free agents we have that do anything are ex Steelers saved off the NFL scrap heap.

It's normal to miss on draft picks. But you've got to be able to procure veteran talent from the rest of the league to fill in some holes.

fansince'76
12-04-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking maybe Colbert has simply lost his touch, much like Art Rooney Jr. did (http://articles.philly.com/1987-01-07/sports/26187519_1_art-rooney-dan-rooney-dick-haley)...

86WARD
12-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Package him with Tomlin and trade him. There's got to be some team out there (Oakland) looking for a Head Coach and GM with a "Steelers Type Pedigree!"