PDA

View Full Version : Ike...

MrPgh
11-30-2014, 02:38 PM
He's done. Keep on drafting those linebackers though.

tube517
11-30-2014, 02:41 PM
He's been done for a while.

stillers4me
11-30-2014, 02:43 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Manziel on the field.

st33lersguy
11-30-2014, 02:44 PM
He's done. Keep on drafting those injury prone linebackers that can't stay on the field, while we draft CBs in round 5 that get cut before the regular season.

Fixed it

MrPgh
11-30-2014, 02:45 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Manziel on the field.

I bet Manziel could cover better than Ike.

The Bark
11-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Ike? Just Ike? At this rate, I expect a number of the defensive starters to be gone next year, not to mention Lebeau. Harrison, Troy, Taylor, Worilds, Keisel. As bad as they are this year, I suspect next year will be even worse unless they bring in some quality FA and even then, it'll still be a huge transition/work in progress. But this team - they don't have it and won't make the playoffs. Just way, way way too inconsistent.

st33lersguy
11-30-2014, 02:49 PM
I bet Manziel could cover better than Ike.

The black knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail after his limbs got chopped off could cover better than Ike

ALLD
11-30-2014, 02:49 PM
http://womenonthefence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/burnttoast.jpg

MrPgh
11-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Does anyone think LeBeau tells Tomlin and/or Colbert to draft CBs? Do Tomlin/Colbert say "Go fuck yourself geezer! MOAR LINEBACKERS!"?

I have a very, very hard time believing Tomlin and/or Colbert would disregard a request from LeBeau if he wanted to draft CBs.

steelreserve
11-30-2014, 03:26 PM

Don't forget more underachieving linemen!

BUT THEN WE CAN LOCK DOWN THE LEFT SIDE FOR 10 YEARS!!!!!!

Godfather
11-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Obviously wasn't ready to come back. Missed a tackle on once TD and got torched on another.

Needs to move to nickel back next year and retire in 2016.

Buckinnuts
11-30-2014, 05:34 PM
cut him trade him hope he breaks a leg

86WARD
11-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Harrison is actually the best one of that bunch...by far.

Count Steeler
11-30-2014, 07:35 PM
...is done.

Dwinsgames
11-30-2014, 10:44 PM
http://womenonthefence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/burnttoast.jpg

this , he was Kenny ( no relation to Steven ) Stills bitch all day , Ike is still at the stadium looking for his jock

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2014, 08:23 AM
People seemed to have forgotten how poorly Ike has played the last couple of years. It wasn't that he wasn't ready to come back, it's just that he stinks.

I'm thankful for all that Ike has done for this team but he shouldn't be on the roster next year.

tube517
12-01-2014, 09:39 AM
People seemed to have forgotten how poorly Ike has played the last couple of years. It wasn't that he wasn't ready to come back, it's just that he stinks.

I'm thankful for all that Ike has done for this team but he shouldn't be on the roster next year.

He really has not been the same since getting torched by Tebow.

Steeldude
12-01-2014, 11:47 AM
IMO, Taylor's entire game revolved around his speed. He doesn't have strong fundamentals to fall back on to make up for his aging body.

steelreserve
12-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Yeah, even with Taylor at full strength, the best you could say about our secondary is "barely getting by." Taylor might be able to pull out the occasional big game, but most of the time he's a liability just like everybody else.

I do wonder about the idea some people were tossing around about moving him to safety next year. Before the season I would've said not worth the trouble, but since Thomas can't stay healthy and Mitchell seems to be both a shitty player and a jerk, maybe there is something to that after all.

dislocatedday
12-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Yes, cut Mitchell in the off-season and re-sign Ike to a modest deal to play free safety next year. I think he could do it, and it is not like the Steelers have a lot of good options currently. I think Shamarko is going to replace Troy provided Shamarko can stay healthy.

steelreserve
12-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Yes, cut Mitchell in the off-season and re-sign Ike to a modest deal to play free safety next year. I think he could do it, and it is not like the Steelers have a lot of good options currently. I think Shamarko is going to replace Troy provided Shamarko can stay healthy.

Yup, pretty much.

Also, remember all the people who were wondering why we re-signed Will Allen? Looks like a pretty smart move in hindsight.

NCSteeler
12-01-2014, 02:18 PM
IDK about ike to free safety, his tackling has been atrocious this season and part of last. I'd like to have a FS that can be counted on to make the tackle

steelreserve
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
IDK about ike to free safety, his tackling has been atrocious this season and part of last. I'd like to have a FS that can be counted on to make the tackle

Also a good point.

You know what, why am I even wasting my time wondering if an aging lost-a-step CB can play OK at safety for a year or two? We've got bigger issues and that's not how to actually fix them.

Steelman
12-01-2014, 04:01 PM
It sucks when your best (relative term) cornerback is some scrub named Brice McCain.

I guess we had high hopes for Ike to return and help the defense but all that was made more apparent are his severely declined skills as a shutdown corner.

I don't think he'd make a good safety at all. He's physical (when allowed to be) but more predicated on speed than being any kind of thumper from the secondary. He hasn't been able to tackle in years and has no ball skills whatsoever so I don't know what he really brings to the table as a safety except familiarity with the system.

Lady Steel
12-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Ike: "This is December football"

Cornerback Ike Taylor says there is no margin for error in the Steelers' last four games of the regular season.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ike-This-is-December-football/6aa7c7cd-df84-4169-81fc-97c2bbd82621

It didn't have to, and shouldn't have, come down to this, Ike.

Dwinsgames
12-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Also a good point.

You know what, why am I even wasting my time wondering if an aging lost-a-step CB can play OK at safety for a year or two? We've got bigger issues and that's not how to actually fix them.

not only what has been mentioned above but for me ... I want a FS who can make plays on the football , Ike has hands of stone and couldn't catch a cold in a snow storm

Devilsdancefloor
12-01-2014, 06:20 PM
IKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE where the hell is that chip you where going to play with

Count Steeler
12-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Clean house and build a secondary. Band aids on the dyke ain't working.

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Ike: "This is December football"

Cornerback Ike Taylor says there is no margin for error in the Steelers' last four games of the regular season.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ike-This-is-December-football/6aa7c7cd-df84-4169-81fc-97c2bbd82621

It didn't have to, and shouldn't have, come down to this, Ike.

If there's no margin for error then Ike needs to stay off the field.

MrPgh
12-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Did anyone notice some moderate improvement of the secondary after Ike went out of the game with an injury?

vader29
12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Did anyone notice some moderate improvement of the secondary after Ike went out of the game with an injury?

If by moderate you mean 100%, then yes.

zulater
12-07-2014, 08:11 PM

By moderate, did you mean extreme? If so. Yes.

Shoes
12-07-2014, 08:17 PM
this , he was Kenny ( no relation to Steven ) Stills bitch all day , Ike is still at the stadium looking for his jock

Make that two weeks in a row.

st33lersguy
12-07-2014, 08:21 PM
I hope Ike retires, he is way past his prime

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 08:23 PM
I hope Ike retires, he is way past his prime

I do too - sad to see just how far off he's fallen.

MrPgh
12-07-2014, 08:26 PM
I do too - sad to see just how far off he's fallen.

The sad part is not only do the coaches refuse to see it, but they refuse to give Ike safety help when he's out there.

fansince'76
12-07-2014, 08:28 PM
The sad part is not only do the coaches refuse to see it, but they refuse to give Ike safety help when he's out there.

He definitely shouldn't be starting at this point, that's for sure.

zulater
12-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Safety help? :wtf: On this team? What would they possibly do that could help? :willy::willy::willy: What team have you been watching all year?

MrPgh
12-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Safety help? :wtf: On this team? What would they possibly do that could help? :willy::willy::willy: What team have you been watching all year?

I guess my thinking is the coaches can stop being stubborn fucks and play Shamarko, but that's asking too much of them I'm afraid.

Count Steeler
12-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I guess my thinking is the coaches can stop being stubborn fucks and play Shamarko, but that's asking too much of them I'm afraid.

I would say start playing Golden and Allen. If Shark is healthy, put him in the rotation as well. Troy and Mike are not earning their pay this year.

SteelerFanInStl
12-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Ike and Troy both need to retire. Watching Troy on that Dalton TD run was just terrible.

Our whole secondary needs to be rebuilt next year. Shamarko, Golden, Gay and McCain are about the only guys that I care about keeping.

Shoes
12-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Ike and Troy both need to retire. Watching Troy on that Dalton TD run was just terrible.

Our whole secondary needs to be rebuilt next year. Shamarko, Golden, Gay and McCain are about the only guys that I care about keeping.

It was, but Worilds going right by Dalton wasn't any better.

salamander
12-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Ike's best days are wayyy past him. I hate to say it but I think it's time for Swaggin' to retire.

Lady Steel
12-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Ike and Troy both need to retire.

I agree. It really makes me sad watching them out there because I really love them both.

Buckinnuts
12-08-2014, 06:00 AM
see yah..hope they bench him the rest of the season...troy is not helping much but better than ike..just afraid what the falcons will try with their recievers nwxt week

Steeldude
12-08-2014, 06:11 AM
He's been done for a while.

Yep. I would say he has been done for about 3 to 4 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Polamalu's better days are behind him, but I also feel he is trying to cover for everyone else. He could pretty much do that back in the day. Now it is time for the rest of the team to start handling their business.

venom
12-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Cut him , thats it - close the thread now

GBMelBlount
12-08-2014, 06:46 AM

Can never have enough good linebackers....lol.

On a side note they said that whereas we have invested a lot of early round picks in linebackers the Bengals have done the same with the secondary.

Also curious if / when Burfict is coming back for Bengals?

one side only
12-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Anxious to find out more about Ike's injuries. If he can't go next Sunday, we may have a B.W. Webb sighting. Also curious about the decision to place Cortez Allen on IR when he was listed as probable on the injury report. I wonder if they thought he was a distraction like Blount. As bad as Allen was, I would still rather have him on the roster than Justin Brown.

86WARD
12-08-2014, 09:53 AM

If by moderate you mean extreme, drastic, serious, extraordinary, enormous...then yes. But don't tell the coaching staff. Ike is a veteran...you can't bench veterans.

86WARD
12-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Probably the same "lack of safety help" that the Cortez Allen received? Not sure ask the Cortez supporters?

tube517
12-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Yes. And I think Tomlin used Ike's "injury" as an excuse to take him out.

zulater
12-08-2014, 10:18 AM

His injury might have been the 3rd degree burns he received at the hands of A.J. Green.

stillers4me
12-08-2014, 10:20 AM
His injury might have been the 3rd degree burns he received at the hands of A.J. Green.

:lol:

86WARD
12-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Lol. Probably wishing AJ was Chad Johnson...

zulater
12-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Probably the same "lack of safety help" that the Cortez Allen received? Not sure ask the Cortez supporters?

I don't think anyone was defending or excusing his play at the end. I still think he has NFL ability. I think he's proven that at various times in his first 3 seasons.He even had some good moments this year. Even on some of the plays he was beat his position wasn't that bad. He just didn't have good ball awareness. I also think part of his problem was the new contract, combined with the enhanced emphasis on defensive holding by the league coming into the season, I think it got into his head. He put too much pressure on himself. Paralysis by analysis so to speak. Or to paraphrase the coach he lived in his fears. And as a result he negated his athletic ability. Is he salvageable? I don't know? But I think it's worth finding out. I would give him a chance to make the team, but given his contract I would pull the plug on him early if there wasn't clear signs of a mental turnaround.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol. Probably wishing AJ was Chad Johnson...

Or that it was 4 years earlier when his athletic ability was at least close to that level.

Steeldude
12-08-2014, 11:12 AM

If true it means Tomlin is putting a poor product on the field due to personals feelings. That would reinforce the "He is just one of the guys" comment.

steelreserve
12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
If true it means Tomlin is putting a poor product on the field due to personals feelings. That would reinforce the "He is just one of the guys" comment.

To be fair, excuse or not, the coaches saw a problem and made a change to fix it mid-game. That's happened a couple of other times this season too, a welcome change. And it's quite possible the "injury" remark was Tomlin covering for Taylor after the fact, at least that's how I took it.

In the earlier Tomlin years, a struggling player would've remained out there until the bitter end, not getting the job done, and kept his starting job the next week too, unless he got injured (Isaiah Green would be re-signed to replace Curtis Brown, though - always super relevant). Glad to see there are finally changes being made on the fly this year due to plain ineffectiveness, not just because your hand is forced.

Yes, Cowher also had a penchant for sticking with guys who were no good well past the point where you'd be better off cutting your losses.

Steelman
12-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I was just happy that regardless of injury, Tomlin had the balls to bench him. Although I heard a report that Ike took himself out, but I somehow doubt that with how competitive he is.

I was also very happy with the way that McCain and Blake played after that. Great play by Blake on that jump ball to AJ. Mitchell should have made the pick but that play stifled any chance of momentum by the Bungles.

Neither of those guys are long term solutions, decent depth perhaps, but it was nice to see that out of them in a pivotal game.

ALLD
12-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't start Ike on the cheerleading squad if we had one. He's too slow and only has one arm. How are you supposed to defend like that?

steelreserve
12-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't start Ike on the cheerleading squad if we had one. He's too slow and only has one arm. How are you supposed to defend like that?

Poorly.

Count Steeler
12-08-2014, 06:38 PM

How can anyone blame Taylor? He is only doing what the coaches told him to do. The coaches have to have a serious upgrade on evaluating talent and stop playing vets, just because. *cough*Troy*cough*. Biggest problem is that we have nothing as back up.

Taylor has no business being a starter in this league right now, which is more a statement of how poorly we have drafted and stocked our secondary, than it is an indictment on Taylor.

Shoes
12-08-2014, 06:54 PM
How can anyone blame Taylor? He is only doing what the coaches told him to do. The coaches have to have a serious upgrade on evaluating talent and stop playing vets, just because. *cough*Troy*cough*. Biggest problem is that we have nothing as back up.

Taylor has no business being a starter in this league right now, which is more a statement of how poorly we have drafted and stocked our secondary, than it is an indictment on Taylor.

No question they'll start Taylor if they think he is physically able…..how can anyone say there isn't something rotten in the coaching ranks?

Here what Lebeau said after the 3rd round of the draft.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said he is not worried about the Steelers' depth at cornerback. "I feel good about the cornerbacks that we have, and we have more numbers there than people realize," LeBeau said. "We may have great players in the building; they just haven’t had the chance to show us they are greater."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6422/steelers-pick-dri-archer-in-3rd

Count Steeler
12-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Yeah, and the pass rush was supposed to be much improved.

Maybe next year.

SteelMayhem72
12-08-2014, 08:08 PM

I think the problem with troy this year is the lack of chemistry with worthless mitchell...when he had ryan clark they had great chemistry but that built up after playing a few seasons together. I dont like mitchell and quite frankly I dont think Troy does either.

- - - Updated - - -

I also heard somewhere earlier on ESPN that there might be a new face or 2 starting in the secondary for us this week...Im pretty sure thats what I heard. Could it mean they may have permenently benched ike??? Its a possibility and Im all for it especially againt the wr's the falcons have.

86WARD
12-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Ryan Clark was pretty shitty his first year too...

st33lersguy
12-08-2014, 11:34 PM
All I know is if someone on the coaching staff comes up with the idea of putting Ike on Julio, they need to be dismissed from the team immediately

86WARD
12-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Hopefully neither one plays.