View Full Version : Steelers sign RB...

Dwinsgames
11-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Perkins is a poor mans Bell ( but shorter / smaller ) can do it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tosFLAO5IfA

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665085/ladarius-perkins

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204766797

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ladarius-perkins?id=2543822

(http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ladarius-perkins?id=2543822)

Lady Steel
11-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Dario!

Moose
11-19-2014, 11:14 AM
5"7" or 5"10" ? One say's he''s fast, one stats he can be brought down from behind. Carries the ball in the wrong hand ? ( isn't this something that RUNNING BACK 101 teaches ?)

steelreserve
11-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I was going to say let's not do anything rash, but I guess it's too late for that ...

tube517
11-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Signed to the practice squad.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2014, 11:24 AM
5"7" or 5"10" ? One say's he''s fast, one stats he can be brought down from behind. Carries the ball in the wrong hand ?

5'7 and change ...

he is fast enough, just does not have burner speed ...

sub 4.5 but in today's game with a few 4.3 guys on most teams sure he can be caught from behind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGQKvJEZizs

Steelman
11-19-2014, 12:23 PM
I think at this point any warm bodies that play RB on the practice squad is helpful.

Steeldude
11-19-2014, 12:53 PM
He is probably better to have backing up Bell than Harris.

tube517
11-19-2014, 12:58 PM
I doubt Harris will get any touches anyways. They will use Archer and in an emergency, Will Johnson.

Steeldude
11-19-2014, 01:10 PM
I doubt Harris will get any touches anyways. They will use Archer and in an emergency, Will Johnson.

Using Archer would be pointless though. They need a legitimate RB to ease the workload.

fansince'76
11-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Using Archer would be pointless though. They need a legitimate RB to ease the workload.

He also seems to carry the ball like a loaf of bread. He's a fumble waiting to happen. The screen he dropped in the Titans game was very close to being a disastrous fumble too.

Count Steeler
11-19-2014, 01:57 PM
But there is no B in his name. Of course he doesnt fit in.

tube517
11-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Like I said before, why did they only carry 2 1/4 RBs on the roster. Archer is too small to be any kind of legit backup at RB.

Steeltreal
11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
I predict Archer will score a TD before seasons end, not sure how but its coming.

Hawkman
11-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Like I said before, why did they only carry 2 1/4 RBs on the roster. Archer is too small to be any kind of legit backup at RB.
So that they could carry Landry Jones!:chuckle: Couldn't resist!

steelreserve
11-19-2014, 03:08 PM

It would've been fine if Blount wasn't such an asshole. Amazing how one guy in a relatively minor role can throw you for a loop like that.

I'm glad we only signed Perkins to the practice squad for now, and didn't lock ourselves into anything. Someone said he's the poor man's Bell ... looks more like the homeless man's Bell.

I wouldn't trust either of the scrap-heap RBs we've picked up in the past couple of days, although I must say I'd rather roll the dice on this guy than Harris. I could be wrong, but THAT guy strikes me as a real pile of dog crap waiting to happen.

tube517
11-19-2014, 03:10 PM
So that they could carry Landry Jones!:chuckle: Couldn't resist!

:lol: I keep forgetting about that scrub. I try to keep his name out of my memory.

Dwinsgames
11-19-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm glad we only signed Perkins to the practice squad for now, and didn't lock ourselves into anything. Someone said he's the poor man's Bell ... looks more like the homeless man's Bell.

basically 5 ypc in college , 68 catches to go with it ...some power decent speed , good vision and soft hands ( hands catcher ) all the things Bell is , packed into a 5'7 and change frame and 200 pounds ..good change of direction , shifty /nifty can make a man miss by cutting back on a dime .... not afraid to lower his shoulder and take a man on , and wont be arm tackled

seems pretty Bell like to me ... a poor mans Bell anyways but homeless ? come on man !

steelreserve
11-19-2014, 04:18 PM
basically 5 ypc in college , 68 catches to go with it ...some power decent speed , good vision and soft hands ( hands catcher ) all the things Bell is , packed into a 5'7 and change frame and 200 pounds ..good change of direction , shifty /nifty can make a man miss by cutting back on a dime .... not afraid to lower his shoulder and take a man on , and wont be arm tackled

seems pretty Bell like to me ... a poor mans Bell anyways but homeless ? come on man !

Well, whichever one it is, he'd have to be pretty broke.

Don't get me wrong, I like the potential of this guy a lot more than Harris (or Archer for that matter) - he could actually be a real running back, not a gimmick player. That's what we need at the #2 spot. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, but not as the ONLY insurance policy. I'd still prefer to see us sign a somewhat-dependable veteran for that role. If we had Perkins as a #3/developmental guy, that's kind of the place where he'd fit right now IMO.

Of course, in order to do that we'd have to kick Harris to the curb, and/or admit the Archer experiment was a bust. Of course, that'll never happen for the same reason Can Thomas is still on the team - the person(s) responsible for signing them would get too much egg on their face.

LLT
11-19-2014, 04:54 PM

Actually not a bad signing. Could pan out over time. If there is any particular weakness that I notice in his game, its his timing in hitting the holes. Seems to sometimes hit the hole before the blocking developes...and on other plays he is dancing in the backfield even when the hole is there. Reminds me a little of Mendenhall

86WARD
11-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Terrible signing. If he was any good, he'd be on a team. If Bell goes down, who do they go to? One of these ass clowns? Hopefully they do some more work over the bye week.

LLT
11-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Terrible signing. If he was any good, he'd be on a team. .

WHAT??? If he was ON a team...we COULDNT sign him to our practice squad!!!!!!

Dwinsgames
11-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Terrible signing. If he was any good, he'd be on a team. If Bell goes down, who do they go to? One of these ass clowns? Hopefully they do some more work over the bye week.

haha bet you said the same thing about James Harrison when we signed him initially and the second time around ...................

86WARD
11-19-2014, 08:46 PM
haha bet you said the same thing about James Harrison when we signed him initially and the second time around ...................

No. No I didn't. I didn't really think anything of that signing.

lilyoder6
11-19-2014, 10:31 PM
you don't know what these players will do when given an opportunity .. just bc he has no resume doesn't mean he wont be good.. b4 sunday night and 200 yrds I bet ppl were saying Jonas gray was a nobody... look at the rb blue that replaced foster on sunday had a good game... if our line blocks and blocks well all u need from ur running back is the sense to run through the hole and hold onto the ball.. and now you'll be able to get archer more reps w/o hurting blounts feelings and possibly see why we drafted him

fansince'76
11-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Actually not a bad signing. Could pan out over time. If there is any particular weakness that I notice in his game, its his timing in hitting the holes. Seems to sometimes hit the hole before the blocking developes...and on other plays he is dancing in the backfield even when the hole is there. Reminds me a little of Mendenhall

Sounds like a Mendenhall clone, actually. Does he often spin for no apparent reason too?

Mojouw
11-20-2014, 07:37 AM
"Our line blocks and blocks well..."

That made my morning!

Texasteel
11-20-2014, 06:17 PM

The thing I noticed about him is that he does not go down easy. He normally makes a tackler rap him up, that puts a lot of pressure on a tackler in the open field. Might never make this team, then again he might. Someone to watch anyway. Hope the best for the kid.

tube517
11-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Sounds like a Mendenhall clone, actually. Does he often spin for no apparent reason too?

Does he show a tendency to hump his QB?

Mojouw
11-21-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm sure I am overthinking this, but anyone else concerned that all the highlights in the above video come against second tier schools and Arkansas? Nothing against the "big boys" of the SEC?

Dwinsgames
11-21-2014, 01:39 PM

if that was the case he would have fell down reaching for the pen to sign the contract ... nobody is gonna arm tackle this kid

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure I am overthinking this, but anyone else concerned that all the highlights in the above video come against second tier schools and Arkansas? Nothing against the "big boys" of the SEC?

Auburn is second tier ?

Tennessee is second tier ?

Mojouw
11-21-2014, 02:47 PM
if that was the case he would have fell down reaching for the pen to sign the contract ... nobody is gonna arm tackle this kid

- - - Updated - - -

Auburn is second tier ?

Tennessee is second tier ?

Auburn is not. Nor is Tennessee really, but I saw a lot of UAB and a few others I didn't recognize figuring heavily in the reel.

Like I said, I am surely over thinking things.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Auburn is not. Nor is Tennessee really, but I saw a lot of UAB and a few others I didn't recognize figuring heavily in the reel.

Like I said, I am surely over thinking things.

yea probably over thinking , considering if we went back To Ben's college tape we would not find 1 good game vs top tier teams...

what I try and do with tape is look and see what the player does right and try and minimize who its against to some degree ... the opponent will always change but you are you week in week out ...

does he see the hole , does he hit the hole , does he shy from contact , can he make a guy miss , can he make a cutback , does he possess good hands are his routes precise and on time those sort of things ...

zulater
11-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Perkins is a poor mans Bell ( but shorter / smaller ) can do it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tosFLAO5IfA

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665085/ladarius-perkins

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204766797

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ladarius-perkins?id=2543822

(http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ladarius-perkins?id=2543822)

Yeah that's why he was a free agent in November.

zulater
11-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Harrison's problem was he was deemed to be uncoachable. The Steelers knew he had talent right from the first time they saw him. But Harrison was carrying a 50 lbs boulder on his shoulder at the time and didn't bother listening to coaches, position coaches in particular. There was even some thought he wasn't smart enough. But of course that wasn't what it was about at all. Just a very introverted kid who was suspicious of everyone.

Anyway Harrison made his bones on special teams before he got a chance to show his worth at lb.

Craic
11-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Harrison's problem was he was deemed to be uncoachable. The Steelers knew he had talent right from the first time they saw him. But Harrison was carrying a 50 lbs boulder on his shoulder at the time and didn't bother listening to coaches, position coaches in particular. There was even some thought he wasn't smart enough. But of course that wasn't what it was about at all. Just a very introverted kid who was suspicious of everyone.

Anyway Harrison made his bones on special teams before he got a chance to show his worth at lb.

That, and I think it took about five years for the game to slow down for him.

86WARD
11-21-2014, 07:39 PM

And he continued that play on special teams...which IMO is pretty amazing in this day and age that a player of his caliber still would do that.

pepsyman1
11-21-2014, 08:06 PM

NO ONE spins uselessly like Mendy does! Don't you forget it!:rofl:

Shoes
11-21-2014, 08:31 PM
I just hope between this guy and Harris they can get a good dependable #2 RB. The good thing is they are both young and hungry.