PDA

View Full Version : Blount not only one needing shown the door - boot #23 too

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 06:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2uhZUdIQAAEhze.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2uhmJaIYAAdpou.jpg:large

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Nothing appears to have properly loaded. Is it my iPad or Dwins post?

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 06:46 AM
Nothing appears to have properly loaded. Is it my iPad or Dwins post?

its your ipad ...

seeing it here no issues ...

screen shots of Mike Mitchell telling a fan to go kill themselves

T&B fan
11-18-2014, 07:14 AM
its your ipad ...

seeing it here no issues ...

screen shots of Mike Mitchell telling a fan to go kill themselves

not seeing anything , I am on a laptop

The Bark
11-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Not seeing anything either. Not defending Blount, don't know the circumstances and really don't care to, but after watching Bell's performance last night I had a flashback to Tomlin saying they'd run Willie Parker until his wheels came off. Bell looks great, I just hope he's durable and not heading toward a similar fate.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 07:25 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2uhZUdIQAAEhze.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2uhmJaIYAAdpou.jpg:large

- - - Updated - - -

see it now ?

The Bark
11-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Yes, I see it. Yeah, I guess it's time to ban all players from social media. Be interesting to see how Tomlin handles this and the Blount situation. Heaven forbid they let him walk and Bell gets hurt.

86WARD
11-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Where's the fans responses? Hard to condemn a guy without the "whole story." And where does Blount come into this?

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Where's the fans responses? Hard to condemn a guy without the "whole story." And where does Blount come into this?

Blount for his walking away that is well documented in other threads ..

can only post what is provided , however when a public figure you have to know when to walk away from internet baiting ( if that is even what this was we simply just do not know ) it tarnishes the teams image and Goodells shield ...

You do not tell people to kill themselves , you just don't esp if you are an athlete under contract bound to a team and are then a rep of that team ...

86WARD
11-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Blount for his walking away that is well documented in other threads ..

can only post what is provided , however when a public figure you have to know when to walk away from internet baiting ( if that is even what this was we simply just do not know ) it tarnishes the teams image and Goodells shield ...

You do not tell people to kill themselves , you just don't esp if you are an athlete under contract bound to a team and are then a rep of that team ...

I thought Blount was in the Twitter war here too.

I can't condemn Mitchell without seeing the fans response first. We don't know if the fan said he wished rape on his daughter or something sick and obnoxious.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 08:03 AM
I thought Blount was in the Twitter war here too.

I can't condemn Mitchell without seeing the fans response first. We don't know if the fan said he wished rape on his daughter or something sick and obnoxious.

based on what we do see , its nothing like that ...perhaps money ( based on what we see )

the internet is full of fools , learn to adjust or don't use it ( just like you and me ) but when in the spotlight like athletes are you have to be able to use the ignore / block function instead of hostility ... Mitchell failed in that department just like he fails to wrap up on tackle attempts ...

the 64th ranked S in the NFL should have a lot more to worry about than telling fans to kill themselves

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 08:47 AM
I would like to see the comments from the other party. Perhaps he was giving them a taste of their own medicine. Also, I am assuming the other party had to have started it. I am not as concerned with Mitchell's harmless Internet chat as I am with his lazy play on the TD pass he watched.

HollywoodSteel
11-18-2014, 09:03 AM
I would like to see the comments from the other party. Perhaps he was giving them a taste of their own medicine. Also, I am assuming the other party had to have started it. I am not as concerned with Mitchell's harmless Internet chat as I am with his lazy play on the TD pass he watched.

Maybe this is a leap, but perhaps there is a connection between the two. If Mitchell was the type of person who reacted well to criticism (like whatever random twitter comment provoked him) perhaps he'd also be the type of person to learn from his mistakes on the field and improve rather than just get pissy. Maybe he doesn't react well to being coached either. I'm obviously just theorizing here, but personality is personality. This is who Mitchell is and he doesn't seem like a guy who takes the best approach to difficult (and even not so difficult) situations.

Could you imagine Troy reacting like this to anyone? Fan, coach, random person on the street? No way. Okay, Troy is an especially kind human being but most of the greats take responsibility and are their own harshest critics (without losing their shit).

Just me playing pop psychologist. And so far Mitchell has rubbed me the wrong way on multiple fronts.

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Now we are going to fire people for random shit they say on social media? No one under the age of 35 would be able to hold down a job.

T&B fan
11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Now we are going to fire people for random shit they say on social media? No one under the age of 35 would be able to hold down a job.

:iagree:

he has not got magic powers to wish anything and make it true ... that said it was in poor taste

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 09:47 AM
:iagree:

he has not got magic powers to wish anything and make it true ... that said it was in poor taste

No doubt. Mitchell's comments were dumb and classless for sure. But so what?

That being sad, Mitchell is looking more and more like the bust he was when he was an overdrafted Raider pick and not the one year wonder that it seems increasingly likely that benefited from playing behind a ridiculous front 7 in Carolina last season.

He seems like kinda of a knucklehead and not that bright. At least his contract has some early "out years".

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 09:52 AM

That being sad, Mitchell is looking more and more like the bust he was when he was an overdrafted Raider pick and not the one year wonder that it seems increasingly likely that benefited from playing behind a ridiculous front 7 in Carolina last season.

He seems like kinda of a knucklehead and not that bright. At least his contract has some early "out years".

pretty much the point , classless dumbass that is the 64th ranked starting S in the NFL , he is replaceable and I guarantee whomever you put in his place does no worse than 64th ranked ( only 64 stating S in the dam league ) so why put up with his stupidity and poor play ....

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Maybe this is a leap, but perhaps there is a connection between the two. If Mitchell was the type of person who reacted well to criticism (like whatever random twitter comment provoked him) perhaps he'd also be the type of person to learn from his mistakes on the field and improve rather than just get pissy. Maybe he doesn't react well to being coached either. I'm obviously just theorizing here, but personality is personality. This is who Mitchell is and he doesn't seem like a guy who takes the best approach to difficult (and even not so difficult) situations.

Could you imagine Troy reacting like this to anyone? Fan, coach, random person on the street? No way. Okay, Troy is an especially kind human being but most of the greats take responsibility and are their own harshest critics (without losing their shit).

Just me playing pop psychologist. And so far Mitchell has rubbed me the wrong way on multiple fronts.

It's very possible : )

Moose
11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
What a crap thread. Rambling on about shit no one know's anything about. Let it drop !

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 11:55 AM
What a crap thread. Rambling on about shit no one know's anything about. Let it drop !

guess you are ok with a member of the organization telling a member of the fan base to go kill themselves .... have a look on twitter most disagree with your sediments

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
The day I start basing my responses and reactions to things based on the trends on Twitter is the day I stop interacting with the world.

I prefer to argue my opinions as God intended, on message board!

I honestly could care less what any of these dudes do or do not post on Twitter. I only care what they do for 60 minutes on Sundays. In that context Mitchell sucks. As I said previously, clearly his play with the Raiders is more what should be expected, not his one really good year playing behind a dominant front in Carolina.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 01:19 PM
guess you are ok with a member of the organization telling a member of the fan base to go kill themselves .... have a look on twitter most disagree with your sediments

I'm perfectly fine with that.

I still don't quite understand why the NFL has set itself up as some sort of extrajudicial morality police, but it has gotten ridiculous and you have to draw the line somewhere. Firing people for arguing with dumbfucks on the Internet is where I draw that line.

I don't give half a shit what celebrities or athletes say on Twitter. Nothing important happens. Ooh, so-and-so said something offensive, let's all get worked up and demand swift action.

Well, no. Call the guy a jerk and move on. Not really any need to go all Thought Police over crap like that.

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Time to ban athletes from using social media, folks. Because clearly too many of them do not understand the concept of blocking obvious trolls giving them shit.

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Time to ban athletes from using social media, folks. Because clearly too many of them do not understand the concept of blocking obvious trolls giving them shit.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Troll_zpsd847c60a.jpg

:lol:

tube517
11-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Apparently, Mitchell is being told to stay off Twitter.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10372158_393114004177460_4129194884063413648_n.jpg ?oh=1446979a353094d0c01d95cf57367e94&oe=54DC50F9&__gda__=1423857729_a3b2c3f0212e1b5eac02e4600cfa7d2 a

Steeltreal
11-18-2014, 02:44 PM
TMZ is not for everyone.

katmandu
11-18-2014, 02:49 PM
.I think an important point is being missed in this thread.

When you are a "Professional" athlete, it goes without saying your actions reflect directly on your Team (Organization).

When you go out and make PUBLIC comments that are stupid, hateful and idiotic, that obviously reflects negatively on your Organization and of course you.

You're held to a HIGHER standard than the average Joe. That's the way it is when you are in the Military as well. (I'm a Retired USAF NCO BTW).

As a PROFESSIONAL athlete or other profession, it is EXPECTED that you conduct yourself AS A PROFESSIONAL at ALL times. The means ON and OFF duty. PERIOD.

So yes, like someone stated above. Can you imagine Troy saying stupid, hateful and idiotic things PUBLICALLY to a fan ? Of course not because Troy (like most all other Steelers AND other Professional athletes) KNOW how to conduct themselves as PROFESSIONALS !

I tell my co-workers all the time, when you conduct yourself as a Professional, you NEVER have to apologize for your actions.

Count Steeler
11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Sorry, but I can't extend the term "Professional" to sports and entertainment figures. They are simply that. Anyone that looks up to these individuals beyond their work ethic, is looking for something that isn't there. Yes, there are some fine, upstanding sports athletes that do their best to carry themselves as professionals. However, the majority couldn't give 2 hoots about their communities and their standing in them.

I don't expect any athlete to be anything more than that.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Apparently, Mitchell is being told to stay off Twitter.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10372158_393114004177460_4129194884063413648_n.jpg ?oh=1446979a353094d0c01d95cf57367e94&oe=54DC50F9&__gda__=1423857729_a3b2c3f0212e1b5eac02e4600cfa7d2 a

clearly the Steelers agree that the remarks of damaging to the teams image ....

silver & black
11-18-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm just happy he's no longer a Raider. How bad do you have to suck to get let go by the Raiders? :heh:

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm just happy he's no longer a Raider. How bad do you have to suck to get let go by the Raiders? :heh:

In fairness, the Raiders' problem isn't that the players they let go of suck, it's that the players who are actually on the team suck.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 04:29 PM
I could see defending him ( maybe ) and taking a organizational hit so to speak if talking about a top 5 player at his pos in the league , but Mitchell is ranked 64 out of 64 starting S ... when you can't get any lower on the totem pole of rankings you damned sure better watch your P's and Q's IMO because you are already lucky to have a job

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I could see defending him ( maybe ) and taking a organizational hit so to speak if talking about a top 5 player at his pos in the league , but Mitchell is ranked 64 out of 64 starting S ... when you can't get any lower on the totem pole of rankings you damned sure better watch your P's and Q's IMO because you are already lucky to have a job

It would be more of an "organizational hit" IMO to have no one capable of playing safety. Regardless of how Mitchell's been doing lately, starting Robert Golden in a game against Drew Brees is not exactly high on my wish list.

Blount's BS was one thing in that he pissed off the coaches and the other players; in other words, it was disruptive to the actual team. Mitchell acting like a dickhead on the Internet is slightly embarrassing, nothing more.

I don't care if there are jerks on the team. I don't know them, I don't hang out with them. If whatever they're doing is not affecting the team, and as long as they're not out there actually committing violent felonies, I really couldn't give a shit. Burglary is probably OK.

Yes, it's good sport to make fun of players on other teams for saying stupid shit or having run-ins with the police. In the end, it doesn't really affect anything. I don't think anyone's under the impression from Mitchell's remarks that the rest of the team, or the Steelers organization in general, thinks it's a good idea to go around telling people to kill themselves. It's pretty easy to boil it down to one guy being a jerk.

If you want to talk about on-field performance, then yes, it's been extremely disappointing, although not Cortez Allen disappointing. It's something worth taking a look at after the season, but the fact is that for now, we don't have anyone to replace Mitchell unless Shamarko is 100%, and even then we could use the depth, and there's nothing we can do now about either of those things. Cutting a player over thoughtcrime would just be shooting ourselves in the foot.

katmandu
11-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Sorry, but I can't extend the term "Professional" to sports and entertainment figures. They are simply that. Anyone that looks up to these individuals beyond their work ethic, is looking for something that isn't there. Yes, there are some fine, upstanding sports athletes that do their best to carry themselves as professionals. However, the majority couldn't give 2 hoots about their communities and their standing in them.

I don't expect any athlete to be anything more than that.I get it....but this is exactly what sets the Steeler's (and some other Sports Teams) apart from the rest.

The Steelers EXPECT the HIGHER STANDARD on and off the field.

The STANDARD IS THE STANDARD.......... and Blount was clearly well below the Standard.

The Steeler's Standard is about being and acting like CHAMPION. On and OFF the field.

Most all the Champions I know are PROFESSIONALS and don't act like LOSERS.....On or OFF the field.

Devilsdancefloor
11-18-2014, 06:02 PM
reaalllllllly bad taste, but i would love to see what the "fan" had to say to him. I am more worried about his play than this unless they are somehow tide together

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 06:16 PM
the presidents for this is already in place , we canned Cedrick " Milk Carton " Wilson ( a starting WR and not very good just like Mitchell ) over something his girlfriend did because the media got wind of it and put his name in the headlines to sell print ... don't recall anyone complaining then but I was on another board at that time so maybe many did over here ?

either way Mitchell is a piece of shit in my book and if he gets cut I wouldnt feel the least bit bad for him nor would I complain ...

as a side note not sure Robert Golden would not be an upgrade based on what Mitchell has put on tape to this point

86WARD
11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Again...we have no idea what the fan was saying to him. Should he have "walk Ed away?" Yes. But he didn't. It's over and done with. Did he hit his wife/fiancé? No. Did he beat a kid? No. Did he allegedly rape two different women? No.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

I think the "witch hunt" is getting to be a little out of hand.

stillers4me
11-18-2014, 06:38 PM
I doubt he'll be a Steeler next year anyway.

Count Steeler
11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Steelers suspend safety Mitchell's use of social media
The Steelers have told safety Mike Mitchell to suspend use of his social media accounts after several people shared direct messages Mitchell sent to them after the Steelers’ 27-24 victory against Tennessee Monday night.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/18/Steelers-suspend-safety-Mitchell-s-use-of-social-media/stories/201411180227

zulater
11-18-2014, 06:55 PM
From what I understand the fans were just giving him shit about his crappy substandard play. No one was threatening his family or insulting his mother etc... as far as I know. Just an immature punk who can't handle being held to a high standard of play.

Me personally I would never bother a player on social media over their play. But the players who choose to interact with fans got to be grown up about it and tune out the ones who are critical of their play.

I think the Steelers have handed this correctly. This isn't a fireable offense. But when you combine this with his shitty play and his salary the Steelers might think long and hard about bringing him back next season. This doesn't help his cause any, that's for sure.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 07:00 PM
the presidents for this is already in place , we canned Cedrick " Milk Carton " Wilson ( a starting WR and not very good just like Mitchell ) over something his girlfriend did because the media got wind of it and put his name in the headlines to sell print ... don't recall anyone complaining then but I was on another board at that time so maybe many did over here ?

either way Mitchell is a piece of shit in my book and if he gets cut I wouldnt feel the least bit bad for him nor would I complain ...

as a side note not sure Robert Golden would not be an upgrade based on what Mitchell has put on tape to this point

The story I remember about Wilson was that he was arguing with his girlfriend in at a restaurant, then punched her in the head in full view of a whole room full of people. Unless it came out later that it was a hoax, I don't think it was even the same thing at all, and certainly don't remember anyone complaining. The other incident I think you're talking about was earlier, and not what he was cut for.

For the record, every indication seems to be that Mitchell is a jerk, but you're not paid to be nice.

silver & black
11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
In fairness, the Raiders' problem isn't that the players they let go of suck, it's that the players who are actually on the team suck.

The Raiders' problem/s go way deeper than players.

NCSteeler
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
If Mitchell is a Steeler next season I'll be pissed. He has done nothing to deserve a roster spot , so on too of being a total waste of a player he is a dick. Next man up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dislocatedday
11-18-2014, 07:52 PM
I just looked up Mike Mitchell's contract breakdown, and I think it is more than likely he gets cut this offseason. He is due a roster bonus of $2M on the 5th operating day of the league's 2015 year (..I think this would be in early March). His base salary next year is also $2M. Unless there is a marked turnaround in his play (and also his attitude) I don't see how the Steelers can justify paying him $4M next year. If they cut him in the offseason they would have to eat $3.8M in dead money, but I would do it if I were making decisions for the team.

Shoes
11-18-2014, 10:40 PM
I doubt he'll be a Steeler next year anyway.

I for one hope this is the case!

Dwinsgames
11-19-2014, 09:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000430802/article/report-mike-tomlin-bans-mike-mitchell-from-twitter