PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Steelers Release Blount

Lady Steel
11-17-2014, 11:34 PM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Steelers won a game but have a new problem, a rare one for them. Backup halfback LeGarrette Blount, apparently upset because he had just three carries against Tennessee, left the field before the game was over.

He dressed and left the locker room, apparently headed for the team bus that would take them to the airport. At least one player thought they should leave him in Nashville.

Blount has been an internal problem for at least a month for the Steelers and sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he is dragging down star halfback Le’Veon Bell, even though that obviously was not the case Monday night when Bell ran 33 times for 204 yards. Blount gained 2 yards on his only three carries.

The Steelers signed Blount as a free agent this year and they are his fourth NFL team in five years. He was suspended for most of his final season at Oregon for punching an opposing player.

There was no immediate indication what, if any, discipline coach Mike Tomlin might take against Blount but some players have been pushing for them to release him because of his poor attitude. Several weeks ago, Blount had complained to a reporter from 93.7 The Fan about his lack of carries with the Steelers.

Blount has 266 yards rushing this season on 65 carries. Bell has 951 yards on 195 carries.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/18/Blount-upset-leaves-field-before-game-is-over/stories/201411180148

Whoa!

Psycho Ward 86
11-17-2014, 11:39 PM
damnit. we had a good one two punch going. if he is released who do we turn to?

X-Terminator
11-17-2014, 11:41 PM
damnit. we had a good one two punch going. if he is released who do we turn to?

It's not a good 1-2 punch if one guy is only getting a handful of carries a game. Not making excuses for Blount's attitude, just saying.

Lady Steel
11-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Why does there always have to be drama? *sigh*

Steelerette
11-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Blount probably had a little bit of a legitimate contention --

But you don't leave the team during a game. If he really did that, you cut him.

Lady Steel
11-17-2014, 11:54 PM

fansince'76
11-17-2014, 11:57 PM
The last thing this team needs is a locker room cancer. Cut him.

Steelerette
11-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Felix Jones' phone will be ringing any second now...

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 12:01 AM
I wonder what exactly he was expecting when he signed a deal to be the backup running back. And when the guy in front of him is tearing it up. Take your $2M or $3M and shut up.

Lady Steel
11-18-2014, 12:02 AM

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Felix Jones' phone will be ringing any second now...

It'll be a prank call.

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Adrian Peterson - vet minimum. Get it done, Colbert. :chuckle:

Steelerette
11-18-2014, 12:08 AM
What's Ron Dayne doing these days?

Steelman
11-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Wow what a moron. Glad Joey talked some sense into him.

Devilsdancefloor
11-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Cut him, josh harris would be so freaking excited to play behind Bell!

SCSTILLER
11-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Blount has been, and still is, a cancer to most if not every team he is on. Suspended senior season at Oregon for punching a rival player and then wanting to go into the stands after fans. His stint with the Buccaneers had rumors of him showing up late to practices, falling asleep in team meetings, etc. Now with the Steelers, get arrested for smoking the Ganja with our best running back and then being a selfish ass bag when he doesn't get what he wants by storming out of the locker room. If I was Tomlin I would have told him right then and there to find your own way home and that your stuff will be waiting outside the Steelers practice facility tomorrow.

katmandu
11-18-2014, 12:55 AM
I wonder what exactly he was expecting when he signed a deal to be the backup running back. And when the guy in front of him is tearing it up. Take your $2M or $3M and shut up.Exactly. He needs to stop acting like a spoiled little brat and be grateful his teammate is kicking ass and the TEAM is winning!

Too bad he's acting like a dickhead cause he's GOT talent and great complimentary skills to LeVeon's skills.

Hopefully, some on the team get talk some sense into him before he hurts the team AND himself.

Count Steeler
11-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Tomlin has some discipline to mete out. Let's see how he handles it.

salamander
11-18-2014, 05:48 AM
I can understand if he's upset about not getting carries but grow the hell up. You're a backup and Bell's the starter. If this is how he's going to act then I want him off this team ASAP.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 05:53 AM
Blount was heard mumbling as he walked away , fine then I will take my balls and go home

as a side note , perhaps Blount did not get any carries as punishment for being a locker room problem for the past month ?

Maybe this situation was completely created by him and then he turns around and acts out on the fall out of the internal punishment creating even more issues in the process ...

before it was an internal problem that not many where privy to , now its a public problem the team will be forced into doing some sort of publicly noted punishment in order to stave off anything future by other players down the road .... Tomlin needs to get his house in order in quick fashion the games get no easier moving forward and the team focus needs to be on those games not a backup player showing his ass

GBMelBlount
11-18-2014, 06:13 AM
Dude, where's my car-ries?

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 06:40 AM
They should have given the ball to Blount more. You do not want to risk injury to Bell. Keep him fresh down the line. That being said, Blount needs to grow up. If he was 10 years old I could maybe understand his poor attitude.

86WARD
11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
They should have given the ball to Blount more. You do not want to risk injury to Bell. Keep him fresh down the line. That being said, Blount needs to grow up. If he was 10 years old I could maybe understand his poor attitude.

This 100%!! Blount should've gotten carries...just based on the fact to save Bell some punishment and not risk injury.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 08:12 AM
This 100%!! Blount should've gotten carries...just based on the fact to save Bell some punishment and not risk injury.

see my post above ... perhaps an explanation as to why

vader29
11-18-2014, 08:16 AM
There was no immediate indication what, if any, discipline coach Mike Tomlin might take against Blount but some players have been pushing for them to release him because of his poor attitude.
Sorry but he needs to be cut today, if other players can see that but Tomlin and the other higher ups in the organization don't then this team has some serious problems.

86WARD
11-18-2014, 08:33 AM
see my post above ... perhaps an explanation as to why

I understand that but to potentially overwork Bell just to prove a point to Blount...I have a problem with that. What if Bell had gotten injured? I understand proving a point to Blount or punish Blount, but don't do it at the expense of a franchise back.

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Didn't Mean Joe Greene leave during a game because he was upset? I believe it was in 1969. At least I remember reading something about it. Greene did many things that you would be banned for now. Food for thought : )

Tomlin should address the issue immediately. Let Blount know where he stands and what is expected of him if he wants to remain part of the team.

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 09:12 AM
The internet seems to indicate Blount's attitude goes beyond this incident and multiple players want him gone. This is the kinda thing that will demonstrate what kind of control Tomlin has over the locker room. Way more so than some of the stuff we worry about on this board, the Blount situation is one that can break a team.

Makes one wonder if this kinda thing is why the Pats were so keen to let him go?

vader29
11-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 10:04 AM
The internet seems to indicate Blount's attitude goes beyond this incident and multiple players want him gone. This is the kinda thing that will demonstrate what kind of control Tomlin has over the locker room. Way more so than some of the stuff we worry about on this board, the Blount situation is one that can break a team.

Makes one wonder if this kinda thing is why the Pats were so keen to let him go?

If Belichick finds him to be uncontrollable then that says something.

It looks like Blount will be another future, broke athlete when his career ends. What are the odds he ends up in prison?

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 10:08 AM
. What are the odds he ends up in prison?

no better ( for him ) than even money ....

I could ask Vin_Vegas haha

Craic
11-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Sorry but he needs to be cut today, if other players can see that but Tomlin and the other higher ups in the organization don't then this team has some serious problems.

NOt really.

I mean, seriously. How much time do the higher-ups in the organization, or even the coaches spend with the players as compared to the players themselves spending with each other? I'd say about half. So it's inevitable that they'd see a bunch of stuff that the coaches wouldn't see.

Polamalu Princess
11-18-2014, 11:32 AM
No matter how you look at it - that was poor judgement on his part. He is not the team...he is part of a team.

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/whine_zps5906486d.jpg

Lady Steel
11-18-2014, 11:37 AM
LeGarrette Blount leaves field early

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- LeGarrette Blount (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13213/legarrette-blount) could face an uncertain future with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) because of unhappiness over his role with the team.

Blount left the field before the end of the Steelers' 27-24 win (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554421) over the Tennessee Titans (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ten/tennessee-titans) on Monday night, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/18/Blount-upset-leaves-field-before-game-is-over/stories/201411180148).

According to media reports, Steelers defensive assistant Joey Porter saw Blount leaving early and called him back into the locker room several times. Blount finally went back in briefly but left again even before his teammates had begun postgame interviews.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11895830/legarrette-blount-pittsburgh-steelers-left-field-end-win-tennessee-titans

Jerome Bettis stated Tomlin needs to be swift in meting out a suspension.

tube517
11-18-2014, 11:41 AM
We have nothing behind Crybaby Blount. Whose bright idea was it to carry 2 1/4 RBs on the roster?

Lady Steel
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Report: Blount Walked Off Field Early, Angry About Lack Of Carries

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger addressed Blount’s action during his weekly show on The Cook and Poni Show for The #1 Cochran Ben Roethlisberger Show on Sportsradio 93.7 The Fan.

“I don’t know exactly what happened but if it is true it’s disturbing because I would think he would be happy for a close friend and of his fellow position guy.” Roethlisberger said. “I figured he would be happy but like I said I’m not going to rush to judge because I don’t know exactly what happened so I think today we will be able to find out more details.”
Ben also talked about whether or not he could forgive Blount for his actions.

“It will be tough if it was just for pure selfishness and he was just upset about not getting the ball or whatever and walked out because he is a new player to our team,” Roethlisberger said. “If it was a guy who has been here for awhile and we know and it was just a lapse in judgment and he was upset about something I think it would be easier to look past. But it will be tough if it was just for pure selfishness reason because that is not what the Pittsburgh Steelers are. It’s not what we are about but like I said, I don’t know anything about that yet so I’m not going to judge right now.”

Roethlisberger also talked about what actions or punishment might be taken with Blount.

“I don’t think it’s something that coach is going to take lightly because he knows how important team is and comradery,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s a tough situation he is going to be in but that is why he is our head coach. He will make the decision that is best for the team and us as players will live with it and make it work whatever it is.”

Ramon Foster also joined “The Fan Morning Show” (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/11/18/ramon-foster-on-blounts-actions-hes-a-good-teammate-but-we-cant-have-that/) Tuesday and addressed Blount’s actions. While he said Blount is a good teammate, it doesn’t excuse his actions.

“You’ve got to be all-in for the team,” Foster said. “But, whatever happened last night, we can’t have that type of thing. For whatever reason, you can’t bring negativity to the team.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/11/18/report-blount-walked-off-field-early-angry-about-lack-of-carries/

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Ben Tate waived. Too bad he's bitching about the same thing as Blount: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000430336/article/cleveland-browns-waive-ben-tate-after-10-games

tube517
11-18-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw the crybaby chong doing his little "selfie" pose with He Shall Be Le'Veon during the review of the TD. He didn't look like he was pouting then.

Lady Steel
11-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Moose
11-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Blount has been, and still is, a cancer to most if not every team he is on. Suspended senior season at Oregon for punching a rival player and then wanting to go into the stands after fans. His stint with the Buccaneers had rumors of him showing up late to practices, falling asleep in team meetings, etc. Now with the Steelers, get arrested for smoking the Ganja with our best running back and then being a selfish ass bag when he doesn't get what he wants by storming out of the locker room. If I was Tomlin I would have told him right then and there to find your own way home and that your stuff will be waiting outside the Steelers practice facility tomorrow.

If ALL this is true ( and I'm not doubting anything), I just find it hard to believe the Steeler's would take him to be a player. It's just not in their player image they always stand/strive for. They've let go proven player's, i.e. Holmes who didn't have that long of a rap sheet. I can not believe the Rooney's would sign on the dotted line of a thug. Makes me wonder if Blount didn't set Bell up with the hooch to get him taken down and out of the picture, knowing Bell was big competition. And as far as the bus situation, Tomlin and the staff have to act immediately, and hard on this. Put the word and fear of God in the other player's that this will NOT be tolerated....no matter who you are or think you are ! If Bell would have went down would they have stopped the game so someone could go to the bus and beg his prissy ass to please come in and get dressed ? Yea, I think not. I guess D.Archer would have had to step up, not saying that that would have been good for us, but then again you don't know that given the chance he would have out performed his potential either. But, at least Archer was available to help the team. I think this situation is going to show us all, and the media, what type of coach Tomlin is as far as being a disciplinarian. I hate to see Blount dumped, a good 1/2 punch with Bell, but I believe everyone can be replaced in the sports field given the chance, and it is FACT that having a bad apple in the carton will eventually ROT the remaining.

Lady Steel
11-18-2014, 12:25 PM

venom
11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Hardly knew him

tube517
11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
He's gone.............. https://twitter.com/mikebires/status/534774959718281216

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJdb1TLLJQ

vader29
11-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 12:38 PM
This is why I don't think that Tomlin has "lost the locker room". He responded swiftly and decisively to a potentially team dividing issue. Unlike say, Harbaugh in Snan Fran, who is apparently OK with Ahmad Brooks either benching himself or refusing to play - depending on who you believe.

Look at the BS spin being put on the Marshawn Lynch story out of Seattle. Carrol doesn't run that show.

While I remain skeptical that Tomlin is a great coach or anything and I think I've taken shits with more personality than Haley, I don't see a team that has tuned out their head coach/staff.

katmandu
11-18-2014, 12:39 PM
http://sportspyder.com/teams/pittsburgh-steelers/articles/13306857

This dude is a perfect example of a SPOILED, ASS'd..... PUNK !!

What a F'ing LOSER !

tube517
11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-50782343/turbine/la-sp-sn-steelers-rashard-mendednhall-20121012-001/600

You know..... :peep::behindsofa: :stirthepot: :lol:

vader29
11-18-2014, 12:46 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-50782343/turbine/la-sp-sn-steelers-rashard-mendednhall-20121012-001/600

You know..... :peep::behindsofa: :stirthepot: :lol:
http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2234450/83593343.gif

katmandu
11-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Look at his lower lip POUTING like a little (5) Year old child !

Simply amazing that a human being making MILLIONS of dollars playing a kids game would be so SELFISH and IMMATURE !

Hope you happy now Blount! Now you have time to go smoke all the BLUNTS you want now!

DIPSHIT !!!

vader29
11-18-2014, 12:48 PM

:lol:

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Looks like Stephens-Howling is still a free agent, as well as Felix Jones: http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

tube517
11-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Looks like Stephens-Howling is still a free agent, as well as Felix Jones: http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

I would take LASH but I thought he was still injured

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Only move the organization could make. Simply suspending him would not have been enough.

Don't let the door hit ya on the ass on your way out.

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
I would take felix Jones...NOT Ben Tate...Tate is a cancer as well!!

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
So now the Steelers have only one RB(Bell) on the roster.

No to Felix Jones.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 01:08 PM
OK, I guess.

Now who are we going to use as the backup RB, Dri Archer? I hope we thought it through better than that.

Moose
11-18-2014, 01:08 PM
After just hearing the new's that the Steeler's released Blount made me realize why I'm a fan of the BEST run football organization. This is truly a class, family business. Not standing for unsportsmanlike foolishness, only excepting TEAM spirit and nothing less. A true family tradition, something that you want your young member's to understand and follow. My daughter is 24 and a Steeler fan. I explained the team values to her at a young age, especially when the bungholes were up coming with all of their thug team members and jail history. She saw the value immediately LOL. Now, it's time to move on. Hopefully this situation may light a match on the rest of the player's and make them understand the value of the job they perform and the money they earn doing it. A truly once in a lifetime situation that not all get or keep. I hope Blount life turns around soon, since at such a young age he is truly heading down a bad road with nothing good at the end of it. He's already limited his list of professional teams that will take a chance on him, and none of them are probably contenders and his future limited with them. Hat's off to the STEELER's. Thanks for remaining a classy, reputable, family organization !!! ( Makes the miserable playing the past few year's somewhat bearable....LOL )

Steelman
11-18-2014, 01:13 PM
SO happy! Way to man up and get rid of this POS.

SteelMayhem72
11-18-2014, 01:15 PM

No to Felix Jones.

Only reason I say yes to felix jones is probably because he is familiar with our system...know of anyone else?

- - - Updated - - -

After just hearing the new's that the Steeler's released Blount made me realize why I'm a fan of the BEST run football organization. This is truly a class, family business. Not standing for unsportsmanlike foolishness, only excepting TEAM spirit and nothing less. A true family tradition, something that you want your young member's to understand and follow. My daughter is 24 and a Steeler fan. I explained the team values to her at a young age, especially when the bungholes were up coming with all of their thug team members and jail history. She saw the value immediately LOL. Now, it's time to move on. Hopefully this situation may light a match on the rest of the player's and make them understand the value of the job they perform and the money they earn doing it. A truly once in a lifetime situation that not all get or keep. I hope Blount life turns around soon, since at such a young age he is truly heading down a bad road with nothing good at the end of it. He's already limited his list of professional teams that will take a chance on him, and none of them are probably contenders and his future limited with them. Hat's off to the STEELER's. Thanks for remaining a classy, reputable, family organization !!! ( Makes the miserable playing the past few year's somewhat bearable....LOL )

Amen brother!!! Raiders will take him...lol

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 01:15 PM

No to Felix Jones.

There aren't exactly a whole lot of options out there. Jones might be the best one available assuming they say no to Tate, which would be the right move since he was released for the same reason.

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 01:21 PM
There aren't exactly a whole lot of options out there. Jones might be the best one available assuming they say no to Tate, which would be the right move since he was released for the same reason.

Perhaps Michael Bush, if healthy and still a free agent?

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Who knows. People's attitudes have a way of changing when they're just flat out of work, and you bring them in for a short-term engagement where it's made clear what to expect coming in. It's only a few games, I think both parties could deal and I dont even think there'd be time for a guy like that to stir up any shit.

I'd certainly prefer having a backup RB who could actually run the ball if needed, which is certainly not Dri fucking Archer or Felix fucking Jones.

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 01:23 PM

I believe he's still a free agent. I'd be all for that. Perfect replacement.

Who knows. People's attitudes have a way of changing when they're just flat out of work, and you bring them in for a short-term engagement where it's made clear what to expect coming in. It's only a few games, I think both parties could deal and I dont even think there'd be time for a guy like that to stir up any shit.

I'd certainly prefer having a backup RB who could actually run the ball if needed, which is certainly not Dri fucking Archer or Felix fucking Jones.

Only problem I'd see is that you'd basically render Blount's release, well I don't want to say hypocritical, but I can't think of a better word right now. You know the media would jump all over that. Besides, I would think Tate would want to go to a team where he'd get a lot of touches.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 01:25 PM

Unless there's something going on with him that I don't know about, that's a great idea. As close to a 1:1 replacement as I can think of.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 01:29 PM
that was a Blount ending

Steeldude
11-18-2014, 01:30 PM
I believe he's still a free agent. I'd be all for that. Perfect replacement.

Only problem I'd see is that you'd basically render Blount's release, well I don't want to say hypocritical, but I can't think of a better word right now. You know the media would jump all over that. Besides, I would think Tate would want to go to a team where he'd get a lot of touches.

Also, what about Benjarvis Green-Ellis? He seems solid.

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 01:32 PM

His name stuck out to me as well when I was looking at the FA link on the NFL.com site. He is indeed available at the moment.

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 01:41 PM
I say no recycled veterans playing out the string. RB is the most fungible position in the league. Get some young kid (say Josh Harris) with upside, not a vet with little to no tread left on the tires.

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 01:45 PM
I say no recycled veterans playing out the string. RB is the most fungible position in the league. Get some young kid (say Josh Harris) with upside, not a vet with little to no tread left on the tires.

I'm all for promoting Josh Harris, but it would be nice to have an extra RB stashed in case of an emergency.

Count Steeler
11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Do the Cardinals have anyone on their practice squad?

Kudos to Tomlin for making the right move. We have the bye week, so lets get another back or 2 to come in for some testing.

Bluecoat96
11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
that was a Blount ending

Boo. :)

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm all for promoting Josh Harris, but it would be nice to have an extra RB stashed in case of an emergency.

Very true. How about bringing one of these guys in for a visit rather than the usual suspects:

Cierre Wood - busted for smoking weed in team hotel, but so are a lot of people. Flashed talent in a limited run with the Texans.

Mikhel Leshoure - ticketed as the feature back in Detroit before injuries derailed that plan. Still young and set a ton of records in college. Goes over 225 with some quickness.

Ben Tate - who knows where his head is at, but if it is anywhere besides up his ass, most complete back sitting on the street.

Other than that, scour practice squads across the league.

GBMelBlount
11-18-2014, 01:54 PM
It's not a good 1-2 punch if one guy is only getting a handful of carries a game. Not making excuses for Blount's attitude, just saying.

This is how I feel too.

Doesn't excuse his actions but I do undersand his unhappiness and feel he should have gotten more carries.

It will be interesting to see what happens if / when all of these carries start to take their toll on Bell.

one side only
11-18-2014, 01:55 PM
The Browns released Ben Tate. Considering the Steelers play the Bengals in a couple of weeks, I'd sign James Wilder, Jr. from their practice squad.

vader29
11-18-2014, 01:57 PM

tube517
11-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Stash the LaSH! :chuckle:

86WARD
11-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Browns released Ben Tate this afternoon.

T&B fan
11-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Do the Cardinals have anyone on their practice squad?

Kudos to Tomlin for making the right move. We have the bye week, so lets get another back or 2 to come in for some testing.

who said it was Tomlins move ? IMO this was a complete organization move . it was just not Steelers football .

Count Steeler
11-18-2014, 02:24 PM
who said it was Tomlins move ? IMO this was a complete organization move . it was just not Steelers football .

I for one am quick to blame him for things that may or may not be his responsibility. Gotta give him credit in kind.

ALLD
11-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Only a limited number of people know the real story. And I don't know how much of it is on Tomlin and Haley for not keeping it under control before it blew up. Blount has not been the same since he fumbled the ball and I don't know what he showed in practice. He might have ended up being more trouble than he was worth, especially with the pot smoking.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 02:37 PM

I don't really care if it's hypocritical - you're in it to win football games, not a PR contest. If that guy could help us without causing trouble, it'd be a no-brainer to do it and just tell the media to eat shit. The second part is what I'd think makes it more unlikely - although really, unless there's some place I don't know about where he could go on a week's notice and be handed the starting job, beggars can't be choosers.

I also have to say I don't like the argument that's been put forth that we're "better off seeing what a young guy can do than signing an aging veteran." That would be true in either of the past two seasons. This year, it's completely different; we are not "playing out the string." As of right now we are in the playoffs, and we are in the driver's seat to stay that way or move up. It is not the time to worry about developing prospects. Whoever can help you the most, that's who you go get and put on the field.

Think about it this way ... Bell pulls up lame next game with a sprained ankle. You already know Archer can't get it done, and whoops, it turns out the other rookie can't either. Do you want to risk something as silly as that ruining the entire season? Or are you better off with a guy you KNOW can run the ball at least somewhat effectively? If nothing else, we should at least be using the bye week to bring in some veterans for a tryout. If we don't even do that, the people in charge are just so stupid that you could beat them all to death with a shovel and the police wouldn't even care, and neither would their parents.

fansince'76
11-18-2014, 02:43 PM
If we don't even do that, the people in charge are just so stupid that you could beat them all to death with a shovel and the police wouldn't even care, and neither would their parents.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tube517
11-18-2014, 02:51 PM
http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Psycho-2-shovel-hit.gif

Count Steeler
11-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Have to agree with steelreserve, have to have an insurance against injury. It would be a shame to make the playoffs and then have any run cut short due to an injury. Use this bye week to improve the team.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Have to agree with steelreserve, have to have an insurance against injury. It would be a shame to make the playoffs and then have any run cut short due to an injury. Use this bye week to improve the team.

To address this right off the bat:

Q: But ... we already filled Blount's roster spot by signing Josh Harris! So who would we c--

A: Landry Jones.

silver & black
11-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Only reason I say yes to felix jones is probably because he is familiar with our system...know of anyone else?

- - - Updated - - -

Amen brother!!! Raiders will take him...lol

SHHHH............. Reggie will hear you!

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't really care if it's hypocritical - you're in it to win football games, not a PR contest. If that guy could help us without causing trouble, it'd be a no-brainer to do it and just tell the media to eat shit. The second part is what I'd think makes it more unlikely - although really, unless there's some place I don't know about where he could go on a week's notice and be handed the starting job, beggars can't be choosers.

I also have to say I don't like the argument that's been put forth that we're "better off seeing what a young guy can do than signing an aging veteran." That would be true in either of the past two seasons. This year, it's completely different; we are not "playing out the string." As of right now we are in the playoffs, and we are in the driver's seat to stay that way or move up. It is not the time to worry about developing prospects. Whoever can help you the most, that's who you go get and put on the field.

Think about it this way ... Bell pulls up lame next game with a sprained ankle. You already know Archer can't get it done, and whoops, it turns out the other rookie can't either. Do you want to risk something as silly as that ruining the entire season? Or are you better off with a guy you KNOW can run the ball at least somewhat effectively? If nothing else, we should at least be using the bye week to bring in some veterans for a tryout. If we don't even do that, the people in charge are just so stupid that you could beat them all to death with a shovel and the police wouldn't even care, and neither would their parents.

One would think they would have to at least bring in 3 or 4 guys for a workout during the bye week just to update their "oh shit list".

The Patriot
11-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Now he can return to the Patriots, having served his mission to destabilize the Steelers' lockerroom.

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2014, 05:08 PM
guys, ben tate got released for the same reason as blount, bitching about not getting enough carries.

And he's been getting way more touches than blount. we would basically be recycling a problem

NCSteeler
11-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Leshoure available? Anyhow, since I gripe about him, gotta give Tomlin some credit for hitting this things fast and the right way.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 05:13 PM
guys, ben tate got released for the same reason as blount, bitching about not getting enough carries.

And he's been getting way more touches than blount. we would basically be recycling a problem

Well, right now he's getting zero carries. That kind of kick in the ass will shut a guy like that up, at least for the rest of the season.

How much can he bitch about being a backup if he came in knowing, and it was only for a month or two? I'd think the quarter-million or so dollars he'd make would be enough to make him stifle his ego for a few weeks.

Drazo85
11-18-2014, 05:16 PM
I have read somewhere Pouncey`s statement calling this a blessing. He basicaly said that cancer has been removed from the locker room.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Last month it was breast cancer .. this month I guess we get Locker Room Cancer Awareness Month.

stillers4me
11-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2014, 06:09 PM

hard to get excited about this kid but hoping for the best

86WARD
11-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Go get Ray Rice after he's reinstated. He deserves a second chance.

Devilsdancefloor
11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
id love to know wtf micheal bush is doing i have always liked him. but what about stephens howling he knows the system. i am glad they brought up harris but id like to have another real RB

stillers4me
11-18-2014, 06:51 PM

Mojouw
11-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Leshoure available? Anyhow, since I gripe about him, gotta give Tomlin some credit for hitting this things fast and the right way.

I'm pretty sure he is. If he is in shape, that would be my bet on who they bring in (assuming they bring anyone in). Broke all Mendhall's college records.

/ducks.

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Go get Ray Rice after he's reinstated. He deserves a second chance.

They should do it just for the entertainment that the media and blogosphere would provide. Not to mention that it would make Der Fuhrer check himself into the nearest loony bin since Art II is part of the committee investigating his fuckup. Anything Rice do on the field would be a bonus.

86WARD
11-18-2014, 08:30 PM
They should do it just for the entertainment that the media and blogosphere would provide. Not to mention that it would make Der Fuhrer check himself into the nearest loony bin since Art II is part of the committee investing his fuckup. Anything Rice do on the field would be a bonus.

Lol.

Steelerette
11-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Not that I would bring Tate in, but it's not completely the same.

Tate was unhappy with his touches yes. But he didn't walk out on a team during a game.

To be honest I would go with Felix Jones. He knows the system and could come in to relieve a little pressure. And he can somewhat (not nearly as well obviously) spell Le'Veon now and then. No he's not a special player or anything, but what do you expect at this point in the season. Get someone who can warm up in the space of the bye week and have a small idea what they're doing out there.

Steelerette
11-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Nothing against Josh Harris as a developmental guy, but if we are going to go with a practice squad guy for the rest of the season and maybe playoffs, then let's raid Tennessee's practice squad for Seastrunk.

Shoes
11-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Its too bad, but I'm pleased with Tomlin on this issue if this was his call.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Nothing against Josh Harris as a developmental guy, but if we are going to go with a practice squad guy for the rest of the season and maybe playoffs, then let's raid Tennessee's practice squad for Seastrunk.

surprised he hasn't " Lached" on somewhere before now

Lady Steel
11-18-2014, 11:20 PM
I really want LaRod Stephens-Howling. I like the kid. Bummer about his ACL. I wonder how he's doing.

Aussie_steeler
11-19-2014, 04:06 AM
Positive move by management to take back the locker room.

RB is probably the only position in the NFL where guys can be made significantly better by the talent around them. Why have someone try to derail that. ( munchak, beachum, foster, pouncey, De Castro, Gilbert, Johnson, Miller, Big ben vs Blount)

Re: Josh Harris -- I am sure most RB's have talent to burn when they hit college. The big difference is that now that aren't the big fish in small pond. Every position is significantly stronger across the board. It must be also be a huge mental dilemma to overcome. Guys must get lost during this time and don't show their skillset to the same level as guys of equal talent.

When they hit the NFL they now get to run behind the highest quality O-lines (compared to college). This is when the world gets to find out how good they really are.

What I am saying is that nearly any college RB could get huge yards in college behind a line like ALABAMA. Running behind the Wake Forest line would be much harder work and much harder to promote your NFL case.

Lets judge Josh Harris and his potential behind the starting O line. I think we may be surprised.

fansince'76
11-19-2014, 05:22 AM
Some more food for thought on Tate...

stillers4me
11-19-2014, 05:35 AM
Lets judge Josh Harris and his potential behind the starting O line. I think we may be surprised.

Our O line...or somebody else's O line?

I kid, I kid! sort of.......

SteelerFanInStl
11-19-2014, 07:20 AM
I was happy with the signing of Blount when it happened but I was also leery about the signing of a guy with his reputation. I'm glad that the problem was taken care of before it got any worse.

RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL anymore (besides the top notch guys like Bell). The Patriots picked a guy up out of the garbage heap and he had 200 yards and 4 TDs this past week.

tube517
11-19-2014, 07:24 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1010139_876227532409633_8280487944263849178_n.jpg? oh=a6eedf5fed251b57aeadbde7bb7e851b&oe=54E6A9EB&__gda__=1424005078_76c1556b267c626a98044d3ff31bdfb a :rofl2:

Hawkman
11-19-2014, 07:32 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1010139_876227532409633_8280487944263849178_n.jpg? oh=a6eedf5fed251b57aeadbde7bb7e851b&oe=54E6A9EB&__gda__=1424005078_76c1556b267c626a98044d3ff31bdfb a :rofl2:

THAT'S GREAT!!

86WARD
11-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Lol @JamesFarrior.

Lady Steel
11-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Oh my freakin' gawd! That's so awesome! :toofunny:

steelreserve
11-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Harris does not exactly inspire me with confidence. He was streaky as hell even in college. Look at his game logs, he got half his yardage in 2 or 3 big games per season where he averaged 8 or 9 yards per carry, then sucked the rest of the time.

He has Willie Parker 2.0 written all over him, only without the big-play ability in the NFL.

- - - Updated - - -

lol nice :chuckle:

vader29
11-19-2014, 11:45 AM
http://i61.tinypic.com/wt6n1z.jpg

vader29
11-19-2014, 04:31 PM

Hawkman
11-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Can't you just see Blount taking orders a BK?

KeiselPower99
11-19-2014, 05:01 PM
I liked the signing of Blount back in the spring thought maybe he would get his crap together here and be a decent player for us. Apparently not the case as him being a turd resurfaced. We as fans don't know what goes on in the locker room but to see guys happy he is gone shows me that he wasn't received very well. Anyways kudos to the Steelers for getting rid of a problem.

stillers4me
11-19-2014, 05:53 PM

HollywoodSteel
11-19-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't want to get all Alan Alda on everyone, but I've been thinking about this kid's behavior and it occurred to me that it might be more than just a bad attitude. No back up RB walks out on an NFL team like that without having some kind of mental issue. I know that once Brandon Marshall got the proper therapy and medication for his condition it helped him a great deal (he's never gonna be the perfect human being but at least he is a functioning NFL player).

It's not my place to second guess the Steelers coaching staff and management when it comes to dealing with a locker room problem, and for all I know they've already tried to get him help, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in. Blount's behavior seems different to me then that of the problem guys we've cut in the past. Those guys did things that normal assholes with bad characters do. Blount did something that just doesn't make any sense to a sane human being (and it obviously wasn't the first incident). For this reason I'm wondering if he might indeed have a real medical problem that could be helped with the proper treatment.

katmandu
11-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Now he can return to the Patriots, having served his mission to destabilize the Steelers' lockerroom.LMAO!

Good try Bucco ! Galvanized it more than anything!

katmandu
11-20-2014, 12:39 AM
I don't want to get all Alan Alda on everyone, but I've been thinking about this kid's behavior and it occurred to me that it might be more than just a bad attitude. No back up RB walks out on an NFL team like that without having some kind of mental issue. I know that once Brandon Marshall got the proper therapy and medication for his condition it helped him a great deal (he's never gonna be the perfect human being but at least he is a functioning NFL player).

It's not my place to second guess the Steelers coaching staff and management when it comes to dealing with a locker room problem, and for all I know they've already tried to get him help, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in. Blount's behavior seems different to me then that of the problem guys we've cut in the past. Those guys did things that normal assholes with bad characters do. Blount did something that just doesn't make any sense to a sane human being (and it obviously wasn't the first incident). For this reason I'm wondering if he might indeed have a real medical problem that could be helped with the proper treatment.Well then the team needs to do a much better job of getting a Psychological profile on their perspective new hires.

I've said this before, a player's mental, emotional and killer instinct are just as important as his measurables. A lot folks don't understand that. They like those Combine numbers.

IowaSteeler927
11-20-2014, 02:02 AM

Says a lot when a guy that's no longer with the team has that to say about the situation.

tube517
11-20-2014, 07:12 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1896991_859904877383788_8748170209208930021_n.jpg? oh=4402dfcac7ac9a78737d6bb3da21bf73&oe=55133F53

Of course.

86WARD
11-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Signed on a two-year deal.

Moose
11-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Rumors have it that they may use him for kick/punt returns for example. Just makes you wonder why they dumped him in the first place. When he played with them before there were a couple games where he almost won the game himself with his running.

zulater
11-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Now it looks as though the Pats are going to resign him. Go figure?

I have no issue with the Steelers releasing Blount. Signing him was a gamble. One that turned out bad. But at the time I could see what the logic behind it was.

Move on and pray like hell Bell doesn't get hurt. :pray: Because if he does there goes any semblance of a running game.

Dwinsgames
11-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Rumors have it that they may use him for kick/punt returns for example. Just makes you wonder why they dumped him in the first place. When he played with them before there were a couple games where he almost won the game himself with his running.

they didn't " dump him" he became a free agent ( just like Emanual Sanders , Keenan Lewis etc etc )

Moose
11-20-2014, 08:56 AM
they didn't " dump him" he became a free agent ( just like Emanual Sanders , Keenan Lewis etc etc )

I just find it hard to believe Belicheat or Brady putting up with his moaning/groaning of not 'touching' the ball enough.

ALLD
11-20-2014, 09:04 AM
He is one joint away from a long suspension.

SteelerFanInStl
11-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Yep. They offered him a 1 year deal. Blount wanted more years.

steelreserve
11-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Signed on a two-year deal.

Fuck that guy and fuck the Patriots.

No, seriously, I hope he gets a DUI and so does Belichick.

Moose
11-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Oh, I just have a feeling he will get in trouble somewhere in the near future. As ALLD said, he's just a joint away from some time. I just don't see him changing his way, and now he has something to celebrate.

X-Terminator
11-20-2014, 11:12 AM
LMAO!

Good try Bucco ! Galvanized it more than anything!

Considering that he re-signed with the Patriots, maybe there's some truth to it? :scratchchin:

Amazing that whiners like him and Tate can still wind up getting millions of dollars from other teams.

fansince'76
11-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Oh, I just have a feeling he will get in trouble somewhere in the near future. As ALLD said, he's just a joint away from some time. I just don't see him changing his way, and now he has something to celebrate.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Celebrate_zps705ebdad.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/Celebrate_zps705ebdad.jpg.html)

:chuckle:

vader29
11-20-2014, 12:06 PM

katmandu
11-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Considering that he re-signed with the Patriots, maybe there's some truth to it? :scratchchin:

Amazing that whiners like him and Tate can still wind up getting millions of dollars from other teams.Could be. Wouldn't put it passed Bill-a-Dick to use him as a "plant" (spy).

Lady Steel
11-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Belichick will glean as much information out of Blount as he can, and Blount will most definitely oblige.

steelreserve
11-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Wouldn't you know it, if the playoffs started today and we won our first game, the next team we'd face would be the Patriots. Nothing like having a disgruntled former employee who knows your whole playbook and tendencies from a few weeks ago standing on the opposing sideline right next to their coach. It's like Spygate without needing to do any spying.

vader29
11-20-2014, 05:16 PM

Lady Steel
11-20-2014, 08:29 PM

Blech. Can't stand to even look at that loser now.

zulater
11-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Nice, asshole gets rewarded. Hope he fumbles 3 times in the first playoff game and cost the Patriots any chance of winning.

HollywoodSteel
11-21-2014, 05:25 PM

We? How many personalities does this guy have?

Count Steeler
11-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Good riddance. Next!

Shoes
11-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Look what Chidi found…...Steelers Brotherly Shove? Blount is a dirtbag!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/11/steelers-brotherly-shove-might-proof-blount-issues-haley/

fansince'76
11-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I know it'll never happen, but it would be funny as hell if he did this to Brady while he was in the midst of one of his many bitchfits...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/EDSBS/Blount_Punch.gif

86WARD
11-22-2014, 12:07 AM
I thought people here would be happy someone "gave it to" Todd Haley. Seriously though after seeing that...good ridden.

vader29
12-10-2014, 09:52 AM

zulater
12-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Is polishing Brady's knob considered community service?

Texasteel
12-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Is polishing Brady's knob considered community service?

Only in Boston.

86WARD
01-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Would've been nice to have a player like Blount in the playoffs...oh wait...

polamalubeast
01-18-2015, 07:55 PM

Blount has done nothing against the Ravens last week .....

The biggest loss of Bell was as receiver

86WARD
01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Mainly because he wasn't part of the game plan...lol. Typical Belichick

polamalubeast
01-18-2015, 08:08 PM
Mainly because he wasn't part of the game plan...lol. Typical Belichick

Yes, but a no name like Gray had 204 yards and 4 TD earlier this year against the same Colts

The Colts really are a one-dimensional team....Worst team to have made the afc/nfc title game since a very long time

st33lersguy
01-18-2015, 08:11 PM
The only reason they are in the AFC championship game because the Ravens and Pats played each other in the divisional round

Psycho Ward 86
01-18-2015, 08:52 PM
30 carries 148 yards and 3 TD's for Blount....and the game isnt even over. this game really is salt on the wound of our playoff loss

katmandu
01-18-2015, 09:12 PM
30 carries 148 yards and 3 TD's for Blount....and the game isnt even over. this game really is salt on the wound of our playoff lossSteelers shoulda just kept the dumb ass and just suspended him a game or two. Then have the team throw him a nice blanket party in the locker room.

NCSteeler
01-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Colts don't run the ball or stop the run, obvious that this was coming. Let's see the pats run that well against the hawk and defend with just four in the box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
01-18-2015, 09:13 PM
I still think there could have been some backdrop conversations to get him to the pats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Bark
01-18-2015, 09:17 PM
30 carries 148 yards and 3 TD's for Blount....and the game isnt even over. this game really is salt on the wound of our playoff loss

Yep. Pride got the best of him... er, the Steelers. Two wrongs don't make a right. Etc., etc.

Hawkman
01-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Yep. er, the Steelers.

REALLY!??!

Psycho Ward 86
01-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Steelers shoulda just kept the dumb ass and just suspended him a game or two. Then have the team throw him a nice blanket party in the locker room.

thats what i originally wanted and im sure a lot of steeler fans wanted the same. this game was such a huge middle finger to our team

steelerdude15
01-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Steelers shoulda just kept the dumb ass and just suspended him a game or two. Then have the team throw him a nice blanket party in the locker room.

I still think releasing him was a good idea. You don't walk out on your team during a game.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if I agree. I doubt he would have done anything against the Ravens in the first round; he didn't do anything against the Ravens last week. He rushed the ball three times for one yard. Even when he was with the Steelers, he didn't do much rushing wise against the Ravens. The Ravens are extremely hard to run against. They had the 4th best rush defense this year and haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 27 games I believe.

Hawkman
01-18-2015, 10:23 PM
this game was such a huge middle finger to our team

The idea that you might believe that, cracks me up. He doesn't give a shit about our team, never did......and the only game he would have gotten major carries was the Ravens playoff game....probably would have been half assed at that. Liked the original signing, but glad he's gone.

Mojouw
01-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Wait. This is a thing? You simply can not keep a player who quits on the team. Ever.

Miami kept Wallace and look at the shit-show that franchise is.

The Raiders let it slide with Randy Moss. Another model organization.

I'm not saying that one player incident = terrible team; but good teams and coaches (GASP!) don't stand for Blount's kind of non-sense.

For whatever the reason New England is the only place that he has ever NOT pulled his typical crap. Good for him, I guess. Blount clearly has the talent to be successful in the NFL.

fansince'76
01-18-2015, 10:53 PM

To average about 2.2 YPC against the Ravens in a losing effort anyway? It would have been nicer if our All-Pro center wouldn't have gotten owned all night (along with Gilbert) and Ben had an actual pocket to step up into.

Psycho Ward 86
01-18-2015, 11:07 PM
The idea that you might believe that, cracks me up. He doesn't give a shit about our team, never did......and the only game he would have gotten major carries was the Ravens playoff game....probably would have been half assed at that. Liked the original signing, but glad he's gone.

which is exactly why he's probably laughing all the way to arizona about his change of fortuntes vs. ours

meh, but shoulda coulda woulda right? onto the off season

stillers4me
01-19-2015, 08:36 AM
If he had put half the effort into helping this team win one or two more games in the first half of the season instead of bitching and whining and being a locker room disruption, we might have had a first round bye and Bell may never have been injured. He's a dirt bag and the main reason I want NE* to lose. Watching him get a ring will be as painful as watching Ray Ray get his.

The Bark
01-19-2015, 09:34 AM
REALLY!??!

REALLY.

I'll say this again: you don't sign a player like Blount without understanding the potential for problems. I don't condone what Blount did, but I fully expect people in LEADERSHIP positions who are supposed to be MANAGING to do so and have little to no doubt Tomlin FAILED in recognizing or admitting what role he may have played in the situation.

Manage the expectations.

Communicate the expectations.

Have the foresight to recognize when problems may arise.

Take prudent measures to circumvent possible ramifications.

These are things leaders do, whether they're in positions of leadership or not. Tomlin happens to be in the position, but I don't see him being much of a leader. Why? Because the situation should never have happened to begin with. And yet, everyone at the time was quick to point fingers at Blount and say "good riddance, that's not the Steeler way. That's not how we do things around here."

That's ignorant pride talking.

And like I also said, Tomlin's lack of preparing for plan B and its subsequent playing out into the playoffs showed he's incapable of admitting his own shortcomings. We're not going to go out and replace him with another veteran, we'll just sign a player from the practice squad so we have Bell and two rookies, one undrafted. We have utmost confidence in their ability.

That's ignorant pride talking again.

Oh shit, Bell's hurt going into your playoff game. We'll get a player as insurance.

And then we'll start him because we have so much faith in our unproven rookies who we couldn't find any playing time for over the last month and a half of the season.

That's actions speaking louder than words.

I'll admit, I'm not privy to all the things that went on in the locker room and the decision to can Blount. Again, I don't condone his actions and what he did, but like I said, I expect more from people in leadership. Much more. Pride's also what got Tomlin et al playing the "Dick LeBeau resigned" drama.

So yeah, pride got the best of the Steelers. Meanwhile, the player who was booed for his actions, who apparently had too much pride to ride the bench, just had the last laugh as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Tomlin's the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he's far from being a leader.

86WARD
01-19-2015, 10:51 AM
If he had put half the effort into helping this team win one or two more games in the first half of the season instead of bitching and whining and being a locker room disruption, we might have had a first round bye and Bell may never have been injured. He's a dirt bag and the main reason I want NE* to lose. Watching him get a ring will be as painful as watching Ray Ray get his.

It's ironic that the bitching and whining was because he did want to help the team...

He was a head case before, he was a head case during and he was a head case after. The Steelers knew that when they signed him.

stillers4me
01-19-2015, 11:35 AM
And he was well aware that he wasn't being signed to be The Guy when he signed his contract.

Devilsdancefloor
01-19-2015, 12:03 PM
I stilo think there was some kind of tampering he really didn't start his shit show until the pats needed a RB

Mojouw
01-19-2015, 12:35 PM
REALLY.

I'll say this again: you don't sign a player like Blount without understanding the potential for problems. I don't condone what Blount did, but I fully expect people in LEADERSHIP positions who are supposed to be MANAGING to do so and have little to no doubt Tomlin FAILED in recognizing or admitting what role he may have played in the situation.

Manage the expectations.

Communicate the expectations.

Have the foresight to recognize when problems may arise.

Take prudent measures to circumvent possible ramifications.

These are things leaders do, whether they're in positions of leadership or not. Tomlin happens to be in the position, but I don't see him being much of a leader. Why? Because the situation should never have happened to begin with. And yet, everyone at the time was quick to point fingers at Blount and say "good riddance, that's not the Steeler way. That's not how we do things around here."

That's ignorant pride talking.

And like I also said, Tomlin's lack of preparing for plan B and its subsequent playing out into the playoffs showed he's incapable of admitting his own shortcomings. We're not going to go out and replace him with another veteran, we'll just sign a player from the practice squad so we have Bell and two rookies, one undrafted. We have utmost confidence in their ability.

That's ignorant pride talking again.

Oh shit, Bell's hurt going into your playoff game. We'll get a player as insurance.

And then we'll start him because we have so much faith in our unproven rookies who we couldn't find any playing time for over the last month and a half of the season.

That's actions speaking louder than words.

I'll admit, I'm not privy to all the things that went on in the locker room and the decision to can Blount. Again, I don't condone his actions and what he did, but like I said, I expect more from people in leadership. Much more. Pride's also what got Tomlin et al playing the "Dick LeBeau resigned" drama.

So yeah, pride got the best of the Steelers. Meanwhile, the player who was booed for his actions, who apparently had too much pride to ride the bench, just had the last laugh as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Tomlin's the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he's far from being a leader.

None of that entire post is true. I'm sorry, and I truly am not attempting to single you out - but I am completely frustrated with the willingness to ignore facts and data in order to drive a handful of popular narratives around these parts.

Fact - The Pittsburgh Steelers usage of Bell and his rookie back-ups is on par with other NFL teams that have "3 down RBs". It is also on par with other NFL team's usage rates of rookie RBs that back-up "3 down Rbs" (see the usage rates for Kadeem Carey behind Matt Forte).

Fact - Ben Tate was only the "starter" against the Ravens because he got the first handful of offensive snaps. He even had some good runs during the first drive or so. Tate was used early not as a vote of "no confidence" in Josh Harris (let's just leave Archer out of this because he is a whole other issue) but rather a concerted attempt by Haley to demonstrate to the Ravens that Tate would function as more than a decoy or designated pass-protector. Once Tate tired and fumbled, Harris was quickly brought onto the field and given playing time.

Fact - Blount quit on the team. The team released him. He cleared waivers and 31 other NFL teams neglected to sign him. The Patriots jumped on him. He has had some success - although the most visible is against a team that some dude named Jonas Gray also dominated. To think that Blount's role was not clearly communicated to him prior to signing a contract, during the pre-season as the roster took shape, and during weekly position group meetings is patently ridiculous. Say what you want about the entire coaching staff, but these men did not get one of a set of extremely limited and highly sought after NFL coaching jobs because they are mouth breathing morons. Legarette Blount apparently only plays well under the tutelage of the hoodie wearing evil genius. I have no idea why, but to cite that as a failure of leadership on the Steelers part is silly.

Fact - almost all of the actual reporting on Lebeau's retirement/resignation/firing have indicated that prior to a final meeting with Tomlin, all sides wanted Lebeau back in 2015. Something, which we will almost surely never know, happened at that meeting. Lebeau and the Steelers salvaged a bad situation and billed it as a "resignation". It was reported by some podunk paper in Ohio, likely because Lebeau chose it that way. Anything else is the result of various speculative internet outlets attempting to have the hottest of takes on the situation.

Fact - little if any of the "steeler way" kinda stuff comes from the actual Steelers. Most of that is taken from the media and canned press release crap. Very little of which should be taken seriously. To think that they way coaches and players talk to the media and they way they talk and plan internally is the same is kinda goofy.

Does any of the above mean that I think Tomlin and co. are the greatest of coaching groups? No. Far from it. I can think of 5 guys that I would trade in a heartbeat for Tomlin. Could have said the same for Cowher. Can say the same for most of the NFL at any given point. Do I think that Butler over Lebeau in 2015 will be an improvement? Nope. Do I think it will be an improvement long-term? Too early to tell, but not likely. I suspect the Steelers will be searching for a new D co-ordinator by 2017. But to see conspiracies and "failures of leadership" and "problematic pride" or "selfishness" at every turn is getting old - fast.

There is so much information, data, and facts about the Steelers, the NFL, football in general, that we can make some observations and draw some conclusions based on reality rather than turning every situation into an armchair psycho-drama. Look at the coaching search processes for both head coaches and coordinators that are currently being bungled by a variety of franchises around the league. Then let me know if the Steelers still look as poorly run.

I get that this team does really frustrating and seemingly ridiculous things on a regular basis. But if you subject any organization to the intense, minute scrutiny that we, as fans, do to each NFL franchise, cracks are going to show. I would argue that the cracks are a lot less in these parts than many other NFL towns.

Sorry for this long, rambling, diatribe, but...whatever...the off-season sucks.

The Bark
01-19-2015, 02:06 PM
None of that entire post is true. I'm sorry, and I truly am not attempting to single you out - but I am completely frustrated with the willingness to ignore facts and data in order to drive a handful of popular narratives around these parts.

The unpopular narrative, and fact, is Tomlin's watching the Super Bowl on TV and Blount looks like he came away with making the best decision.

As I have said in the past, I could care less about Bell's workload. I'm not a Blount fan, either, but when teammates describe a player as being "cancer," I kind of wonder why coaching and management would invite such a predicament into their locker room in the first place? Whether Blount knew his role is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, too, though I'm pretty sure he did. That's overlooking the white elephant in the room which is did the COACHES know Blount's history and that has to be an unequivocal "yes". Does this guy do dumb things detrimental to his team and teammates? Yes, and it didn't take long to get an answer for that, did it? Obviously the Steelers had no second thoughts about terminating him, but the act itself literally screams they had second thoughts of SIGNING him.

It sucks Bell got hurt, but to be honest it's not like he was guaranteed to have a big game against the Ravens anyway. One doesn't need to look at this signing alone to see the Steelers have made A LOT of questionable personnel decisions for the last number of years. I hear Tomlin say "we accept it, we own it" to a lot of things regarding the team's play, but I don't see it with regards to some of the decisions being made - and that's why I say the leadership, starting with Art II, leaves something to be desired. The Blount episode, from cradle to grave, is just an microcosm of this.

Yes, it's going to be a long offseason, but here's a cheers to better-decision making, a better year and going further next year.

st33lersguy
01-19-2015, 02:53 PM
LeGarrette the Blount is a piece of shit. Let's not forget this piece of shit corrupted Le'Veon Bell and could have gotten him suspended with his influence. If only T Fizzle would have cheap-shotted the Blount like he cheap-shotted him in Pittsburgh

Craic
01-19-2015, 05:59 PM
The unpopular narrative, and fact, is Tomlin's watching the Super Bowl on TV and Blount looks like he came away with making the best decision.

As I have said in the past, I could care less about Bell's workload. I'm not a Blount fan, either, but when teammates describe a player as being "cancer," I kind of wonder why coaching and management would invite such a predicament into their locker room in the first place? Whether Blount knew his role is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, too, though I'm pretty sure he did. That's overlooking the white elephant in the room which is did the COACHES know Blount's history and that has to be an unequivocal "yes". Does this guy do dumb things detrimental to his team and teammates? Yes, and it didn't take long to get an answer for that, did it? Obviously the Steelers had no second thoughts about terminating him, but the act itself literally screams they had second thoughts of SIGNING him.

It sucks Bell got hurt, but to be honest it's not like he was guaranteed to have a big game against the Ravens anyway. One doesn't need to look at this signing alone to see the Steelers have made A LOT of questionable personnel decisions for the last number of years. I hear Tomlin say "we accept it, we own it" to a lot of things regarding the team's play, but I don't see it with regards to some of the decisions being made - and that's why I say the leadership, starting with Art II, leaves something to be desired. The Blount episode, from cradle to grave, is just an microcosm of this.

Yes, it's going to be a long offseason, but here's a cheers to better-decision making, a better year and going further next year.

Well, do you remember someone else who had a "Bad attitude. [Was a] poor influence. [And was] too concerned with personal gains and personal wealth." The Steelers still traded for Jerome Bettis.

As for the rest of your post. Seriously? I know it's popular to jump on the "Coaches suck" bandwagon, but take a step back and assess for a second. How many coaches have taken a team through a rebuilding cycle without having a losing season? How many have been within one game of the playoffs every year of that cycle? And this year, when you look at the overall team, they outplayed themselves. People laugh at Tomlin removing the gaming tables from the lockerroom last year. They weren't laughing so much when the Steelers came from 0-4 to barely missing the playoffs at 8-8, a 8-4 run over the last three-quarters of the season, and they got better ever quarter of the season, as well. This year, they started out better than last, and despite disappointing losses, still kept their head, and won the AFCN title.

The most telling things about Tomline are: 1. he's a known hard-ass. 2. His players still love him. 3. He's led this team through massive controversy more than once, without it touching the game itself (2008 - forced sale of Steelers to Art Rooney, SB champs. 2010 - second Ben accusation and 4 game suspension, lost in Superbowl). 4. He's now led this team through a massive rebuild and salary cap hell, not once having a losing season and being playoff competitive the last week of every season (with the possible exception of 2012). Sorry, that's not "a bad leader" no matter your definition, except if a bad leader is defined as, "Not living up to unreal expectations in today's NFL."

steelreserve
01-19-2015, 07:30 PM

Look, I'm as pissed off as the next guy about the way it turned out, but you cannot realistically expect to know whether the "cancer" thing is real or just a lot of overblown hype based on the limited contact you'd have with the guy before a signing. An interview and a couple of workouts. You can fake it through that. I, like a lot of people, thought it was a great signing at a great price when they announced it. Any of the blame on this one is squarely on Blount for being a total dickbag.

The Bark
01-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Look, I'm as pissed off as the next guy about the way it turned out, but you cannot realistically expect to know whether the "cancer" thing is real or just a lot of overblown hype based on the limited contact you'd have with the guy before a signing. An interview and a couple of workouts. You can fake it through that. I, like a lot of people, thought it was a great signing at a great price when they announced it. Any of the blame on this one is squarely on Blount for being a total dickbag.

So let me ask you a question: in your opinion, should he have been suspended or did he deserve the boot? Your Mike Tomlin. What decision do you make at this particular point in time? And for shits and giggles, what if Bell did this? What would have happened? Would we have the same outcome?

Shoes
01-19-2015, 08:08 PM
BY DEJAN KOVACEVIC
News: LeGarrette Blount, released by the Steelers in November, rushes for 148 yards (http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/AFC-Championship-New-England-Patriots-running-back-LeGarrette-Blount-highlights/b09f2be0-088b-4565-9b1f-faee5e7d01bb) and three touchdowns to carry the Patriots into the Super Bowl against the Seahawks.
Views: This will serve as Exhibit A for classic sports hindsight, I’ll predict, for the next two weeks. And it’s sure to be ridiculous to the core.
Mike Tomlin and the Steelers absolutely made the right move in releasing Blount when they did and, as I recall, it was almost universally applauded at the time. That can’t and shouldn’t be rewritten. Blount’s unpardonable offense was walking out on his team during a game in Nashville, and I called immediately for his release in the column (http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/11/18/column-leveon-lifts-steelers-shoulders/) from LP Field that night. It wasn’t his first or only offense. The marijuana incident before the season with Le’Veon Bell was the first. Then came this. And somewhere mixed into all that was that Blount had lost the faith of a good chunk — though not all — of the locker room. That’s why Maurkice Pouncey called it ‘a blessing (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000430790/article/pouncey-legarrette-blounts-release-a-blessing)‘ when Blount was released. Others were more animated. Even if some disagreed, the risk of division over the matter wasn’t going to be worth it.
Debate freely about what would have happened to the Steelers in the playoffs when Bell went down, but it says here Blount wouldn’t have mattered because no one was running on the Ravens’ front seven. That includes the Patriots, which is why Bill Belichick went all-pass to beat Baltimore in the next round and Blount had a whopping 1 yard on three carries. Had Bell been healthy, the Steelers would have deployed him primarily as a receiver. Blount wouldn’t have helped in that area.
Dispel that myth with an atom bomb. Please. It’s silly.
Moreover, who’s to say the Steelers would have had that late-season surge to finish 11-5 if they’d never have sent that swift, powerful message that the team was more important than a single miscreant?
This team really was together. And Bell, it shouldn’t be forgotten, found a whole new level to his performance once Blount was gone. The players increasingly believed in Bell, even as they increasingly believed in each other.
No need to soil that with some revisionist narratives.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/01/19/newsviews-blount-carries-pats-super-bowl/ (http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/01/19/newsviews-blount-carries-pats-super-bowl/)

LLT
01-19-2015, 08:09 PM
All this is based on faulty logic.

Blount is not the reason the Pats are in the Super Bowl. Blount is not the reason the Steelers are not in the Super Bowl.

Any argument otherwise is just a hypothetical "what if".

Blount was a loser who didn't want to be a responsible adult. I could give a rats butt if he gets a ring or not...A loser with a ring is still a loser.

polamalubeast
01-19-2015, 08:14 PM
All this is based on faulty logic.

Blount is not the reason the Pats are in the Super Bowl. Blount is not the reason the Steelers are not in the Super Bowl.

Any argument otherwise is just a hypothetical "what if".

Blount was a loser who didn't want to be a responsible adult. I could give a rats butt if he gets a ring or not...A loser with a ring is still a loser.

Agree on this

Gray had 204 yards and 4 TD against the same colts in november!!!!

The Bark
01-19-2015, 09:59 PM
This team really was together. And Bell, it shouldn’t be forgotten, found a whole new level to his performance once Blount was gone. The players increasingly believed in Bell, even as they increasingly believed in each other.
No need to soil that with some revisionist narratives.

How is it revisionist? The facts are the facts: Tomlin et al signed Blount. Tomlin et al regretted it and got rid of him. Stop making it about Blount. I couldn't agree more - the guy's a piece of shit, did what he did, blah blah blah.

You know what, let me tell you a story. I've got a brother who's been married a couple of times and lord knows how many relationships he's been in. He starts of falling in love with some girl, telling her this that and the other thing and she becomes the light of his life. At some point, something goes wrong and before too long, she's the bane of his existence. She's evil incarnate. It's all her fault and they break up.

Time goes on and he meets another girl. Thinks she's the one. She's the cherry on top of his ice cream sundae. Before too long, it starts to melt and gosh darn it, it's all her fault. Same old same old. They break up and he's onto the next one.

How many times do you think people are going to agree with him before they realize, hey, you're the only constant part of the equation here. Rather than trying to change every girl that comes along that results in heartache, why not own up to it and change yourself or your approach?

Now apply that to Tomlin - and granted, as noted before, obviously it extends to the front office and to Art, so let's take a look at their dancing partners, shall we?

First Round: Lawrence Timmons, LB
Second Round: Lamar Woodley, DE
Third Round: Matt Spaeth, TE
Fourth Round: Daniel Sepulveda, P
Fourth Round: Ryan McBean, DT
Fifth Round: Cameron Stephenson, G
Fifth Round: William Gay
Seventh Round: Dallas Baker, WR

First Round: Rashard Mendenhall, RB
Second Round: Limas Sweed, WR
Third Round: Bruce Davis, LB
Fourth Round: Tony Hills, T
Fifth Round: Dennis Dixon, WR
Sixth Round: Mike Humpal, LB
Seventh Round: Ryan Mundy, DB

First Round: Evander Hood, DE
Third Round (1): Kraig Urbik, T
Third Round (2): Mike Wallace, WR
Third Round (3): Keenan Lewis, DB
Fifth Round (1): Joe Burnett, DB
Fifth Round (2): Frank Summers, RB
Sixth Round: Ra'Shon Harris, DT
Seventh Round (1): A.Q. Shipley, C
Seventh Round (2): David Johnson, TE

First Round: Maurkice Pouncey, C
Second Round: Jason Worilds, DE
Third Round: Emmanuel Sanders, WR
Fourth Round: Thaddeus Gibson, DE
Fifth Round (1): Chris Scott, G
Fifth Round (2): Crezdon Butler, DB
Fifth Round (3): Stevenson Sylvester, LB
Sixth Round (1): Jonathan Dwyer, RB
Sixth Round (2): Antonio Brown, WR
Seventh Round: Doug Worthington

First Round: Cam Heyward, DT
Second Round: Marcus Gilbert, OL
Third Round: Curtis Brown, DB
Fourth Round: Cortez Allen, DB
Fifth Round: Chris Carter, DL
Sixth Round: Keith Williams, OL
Seventh Round: Baron Batch, RB

First Round: David DeCastro, G
Second Round: Mike Adams, T
Third Round: Sean Spence, LB
Fourth Round: Alameda Ta'amu DT
Fifth Round: Chris Rainey, RB
Seventh Round (1): Tony Clemons, WR
Seventh Round (2): David Paulson, TE
Seventh Round (3): Terrence Frederick, CB
Seventh Round (4): Kelvin Beachum, T

First Round: Jarvis Jones, LB
Second Round: Le'Veon Bell, RB
Third Round: Marcus Wheaton, WR
Fourth Round: Shamarko Thomas, S
Fourth Round : Landry Jones, QB
Fifth Round: Terrance Hawthorne, CB
Sixth Round: Justin Brown, WR
Sixth Round: Vince Williams, LB

Seventh Round: Nicholas Williams, DE

First Round: Ryan Shazier, LB
Second Round: Stephon Tuitt, DL
Third Round: Dri Archer, RB
Fourth Round: Martavis Bryant, WR
Fifth Round : Shaquille Richardson, CB
Fifth Round: Wesley Johnson, OL
Sixth Round: Jordan Zumwalt, LB
Sixth Round: Daniel McCullers, NT

Seventh Round: Rob Blanchflower, TE

These are all the ones Tomlin et al brought to the dance. I'm pretty sure I don't have to point out any trends here, but evidently the VAST MAJORITY of these picks had problems and faults to the extent the Steelers front office and coaching staff saw fit to dump and re-draft and/or see what else is out there. Of course, just like my brother, it's not any of their faults for actually picking them... it's the players. They didn't work hard enough or want it bad enough. Well, at least until it becomes Arians fault and he "retires". Then it's Haley's fault until he's credited with bucketloads of offense and then Snoop's on him like a hobo on a ham sammy once it sputters again. Then it's LeBeau's fault. I mean, c'mon. It can't be the players - we keep replenishing them and giving him new stuff to work alongside the veterans, right?

The thing is, you all know who's next on the list. There's no more fingers to point.

So while some of you keep focusing on "Blount," I'm looking at the bigger picture and saying, no - Blount is really just a microcosm of bad decision-making over the years. Can you HONESTLY argue that looking back at these draft picks? Even when they have someone like Ike Redman come in during preseason and blow the competition away at running back by committee, they still find a way to cut him despite his being by far the best talent. They're fortunate he was still available the following year.

So there it is. When I'm pissing and moaning about the Blount episode, I'm doing it with ALL OF THIS in mind. Blount's fault, you say? He is what he is? He's not the reason the Steelers aren't in the Super Bow? You're so missing the big picture.

I'll say it again: it should NEVER have gotten to that point in the first place.

All this contributes to just about everything Craic said Tomlin "lead" them through, but again, I don't see any ownership in creating those problems to begin with. It's called "lie in the bed you make". Actually, I see it from the players when Ben says "It starts with me," but when it comes to coaching, it's "the other team executed better," as if the coaching and game plans are infallible. And of course they are! That's why coordinators have retired!

Now here's the thing: I am actually excited about next season. I think Tomlin has the potential to put his stamp on the team with LeBeau gone. I think he is a good coach despite some flaws. I think he showed improvement this year with making the decisions he did. But it doesn't mean he isn't above criticism, particularly with roster moves and personnel - and I don't think I need to point out where there's issues right now with depth, but again, look to the past to see why they are where they are and ask yourself how long are they going to keep their heads buried in the sand before they do something?

Blount? Blount's just a drop in a very large bucket.

Mojouw
01-19-2015, 10:19 PM
I think my head is going to explode.

Craic
01-19-2015, 11:26 PM
I think my head is going to explode.

I know, but it's okay. Let's try with another round of logic.

Alright Bark, first, go read this (http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology408_1.php) to get your expectations knocked back to realism. I'll quote from the 10 year draft study that this guy did.
Here is how you can apply these statistics. For one, stop expecting every first-round pick - or even the vast majority - to be successful. Secondly, stop expecting your team to nail every first-round pick and give them the benefit of the doubt sometimes. Go back through your team's drafts in the last five years. If your team only has one or no successful first-rounder (assuming you have five first-round picks - adjust accordingly if you have more or less) then you have a bad drafting team in the first round. Two is below average; three is solid; four or five is excellent.

Last five years of first round picks:

Shazier: Jury's out. Injured this year. Looked decent to good.
Jones: Jury's out. Injured this year. Flashed in early part, but not enough tape. Some doubts.
DeCastro: some are saying he's the best we've had since Alan Faneca. He's probowl caliber and his arrow is still pointing up.
Heyward: 7.5 sacks this year and is a stalwart on the line. He's better that Keisel was and like DeCastro, his arrow is still pointing up.
Pouncey: Probowl caliber and deserving of the title "Pittsburgh Center" after Webster, Dawson, etc.

So, that's 3 out of 5. Note, it's not "hit a home run" it's "be successful" and no one can doubt DeCastro, Heyward, and Pouncey aren't successful picks.

Now, let's take a look at second round picks:

Consistently in the last 10 years there is a 50-percent hit rate on second-round picks, but you have to account for variance in that some NFL Drafts are stronger than others so there isn't always your typical 50-percent hit rate every year. Though I do believe that in the next 10 years this will increase closer to 60 percent, it doesn't hide the fact that it is much harder to get impact players in the second round than most Draftniks can imagine

Last five years:

Stephon Tuitt: young, but showed ability and able to contribute. As of now, he definitely is not a miss.
Le'veon Bell: Yeah, nothing needs to be said.
Mike Adams: Iffy. I like the kid, and I think he's good on the right side, but has struggled at times and can't break into the starting role.
Marcus Gilbert: A starter. I think Adams might be better. Between Adams and Gilbert, we have 1 hit and 1 miss, though which is which I'm yet to decide.
Jason Worilds: He's not the gamebreaker we all want, but in this system, Worlids is most definitely a hit, rather than a miss.

So, out of the last five years, that's 3 out of five hits, or sixty percent.

The percentage can only decrease after the first two rounds, as talent decreases. But let's look at names, shall we? What percentage of other teams hit in their third rounds 3 time out of five?

Archer: Couldn't get it done this year.
Wheaton: This kid has it going this year. Impressive.
Spence: blew up his knees, but impressed the coaches so much when he did play that they kept him around for two years to rehab it. It showed up this year and contributed. His arrow is definitely pointed up.
(CB) Brown: IR this year. He's not a big hit, but he's not a miss, either.
Sanders: 71 percent reception to target rate and 1400 yards this year in Denver

SO, in the third round, that's 3 out of 5, or, if you drop spence, 2 out of 5. Seriously, you want to complain about that when looking at averages for the first and second rounds over the NFL?

From there, we get into the "cover your eyes and throw the dart" picks. And even there, we have our top two WRs in Bryant and Antonio Brown and Cortez Allen who struggled this year, but has shown the skills to be a number 1 CB and I think will pick it up in the following year.

So, based on realistic expectations and league-wide averages, I'd say your entire assessment is pretty much wrong. Over the last five years, the Steelers have drafted above average in rounds 1 and 2 and either above average or average in round three (depending on how Spence is looked at).